Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkee Hell of the West

Options
  • 15-06-2012 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

Who's doing this next weekend?

Could be a wet and windy one...

Note the bit in the race briefing about entering the swim zone correctly... take heed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'll be there. Looking forward to it too. Spotted that in the briefing alright.

Hopefully the weather will have improved by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

out of interest, are the guys planning on marking the swim course with buoys as per illustration in briefing ? the ideal swim finish spot can be a tricky spot from the last left hander.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

interested wrote: »
    out of interest, are the guys planning on marking the swim course with buoys as per illustration in briefing ? the ideal swim finish spot can be a tricky spot from the last left hander.

Are you going down for the swim and the beer??

I wish, but sadly, nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

I'll be there if I get through 'By hook or by crook' without making my niggly injuries any worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I'll be there.

Obviously using the mats to count people into the water. Was mad last year with people missing wave starts because they swam the length of the beach to the start point.

I'll be there.

Obviously using the mats to count people into the water. Was mad last year with people missing wave starts because they swam the length of the beach to the start point.

It was worse than that. Some people were still trying to get out of transition when the race started. Single file down a very narrow steps to get onto the beach. I know there were already loads of people at the start line the other end of the beach when I got down those steps. Had to leg it down and managed to get on the back of the pack just in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

I'll be there and for the party too. A good friend of mine and the man who got me into tri is coming home from Oz especially for this race so I agreed to sign up plus it's the girl friends favorite, mine too but it really doesn't fit in for me. After a week of almost zero training, eating crap and drinking and 3kg up in weight :o I ain't expecting much but if on the start line it's all fair game...sorry for getting in my lame excuses so early :)

What about yourself dude?

What about yourself dude?

Unfortunately not. Another wedding next weekend. And the way Michelle is talking I'll be missing HOTW next year for my wedding. I'm trying to convince her otherwise though.

• Advertisement

If there was one Irish Tri I'd like to win, let's say I could just choose, it would be this one and for most Irish Triathletes I think they'd say the same. If anybody is going make sure to attend the prize giving after, great raffle and the king and queen of Kilkee is crowned and a new/perhaps previous winner name is put on the famous cup.

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=13108

So the contenders:

Mike Yelverton
    Vanessa Fenton
    Bjorn Ludick
    David Richardson
    Shane Scully
    Andree Walkin
    Trevor Woods

....I'm sure I've missed a load!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

Also....
    Bryan McCrystal
    William McCormack
    Eric Wolfe
    Colm Sheahan

Top 5
    Bryan McCrystal - extra bike distance will suit
    Bjorn Ludick - lead all the way till half way point on the run
    Trevor Woods - could be a surprise package for top spot. Going great in the sprint events. Hopefully he can transfer that into a top Olympic distance performance
    Mike Yelverton - not quite as focused as last year. Will improve on bike but might fall back on swim and run times from last year.
    Shane Scully - tempting fate

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dave04

Who's doing this next weekend?

Could be a wet and windy one...

Note the bit in the race briefing about entering the swim zone correctly... take heed!

To quote the famous " Aha " song , where it goes " The sun always shines on kilkee ".....! Done this one every year since 2001 , weather never bad, usualy bad the day before !! but .." The sun always shines on kilkee.."

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

dave04 wrote: »
    To quote the famous " Aha " song , where it goes " The sun always shines on kilkee ".....! Done this one every year since 2001 , weather never bad, usualy bad the day before !! but .." The sun always shines on kilkee.."

Last year was pretty miserable until the end weather wise from what i can remember in my delerious state

Redzah wrote: »
    Last year was pretty miserable until the end weather wise from what i can remember in my delerious state

Was wet and windy last year but I still got a bit of sunburn

Shut up interested

Was wet and windy last year but I still got a bit of sunburn

Shut up interested

Yep I knew I wasn't imagining it. Here a unique look at what it was like last year from some fella who strapped a camera on for it, really good insight as to what it was like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6sn1vwV0CU

Yep I knew I wasn't imagining it. Here a unique look at what it was like last year from some fella who strapped a camera on for it, really good insight as to what it was like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6sn1vwV0CU

Whatever you do, don't pause that at 1:12. You don't want to see that!!
    :o

Whatever you do, don't pause that at 1:12. You don't want to see that!!
    :o

Its like the 3 monkeys -
    Swim no evil
    Bike no evil
    Run no evil

;) still makes me chuckle

Its like the 3 monkeys -
    Swim no evil
    Bike no evil
    Run no evil

;) still makes me chuckle

Which Monkey is which??

Which Monkey is which??

I'm a bit lost on your humour lads but im assuming that at 1:12 its you in the video bent over?? :D

That was my 1st and so far only triathlon and it was extremely tough considering i was gonna pull out due to not training and decided the week before that i'd train everyday for 1 week and give it a go. I managed to get though it and the feeling afterwards was immense, beast of the east next month is gonna be no. 2. I'm disappointed i'm not going down this sat though.

• Advertisement

I'm a bit lost on your humour lads but im assuming that at 1:12 its you in the video bent over?? :D

That was my 1st and so far only triathlon and it was extremely tough considering i was gonna pull out due to not training and decided the week before that i'd train everyday for 1 week and give it a go. I managed to get though it and the feeling afterwards was immense, beast of the east next month is gonna be no. 2. I'm disappointed i'm not going down this sat though.

Yup, thats my ass!! Three of us together there from the same club

Which Monkey is which??
    250px-The_Three_Stooges.jp

randomly select one and apply it and the result is the same for me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

250px-The_Three_Stooges.jp

randomly select one and apply it and the result is the same for me ;)

How's your biking and running these days? :)

I feel if you're going to abuse me on public forums you owe me the courtesy of informing me about it. I only occasionally browse in here these days, I might have missed this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I'll be there to take part in the relay*

*the word relay may be substituted by the word boozefest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

Don't know if they're still taking transfers but if they are and your looking for a spot pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Interesting that penalty boxes are to be employed in the HOTW this year.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Interesting that penalty boxes are to be employed in the HOTW this year.

Thoughts?

I just hope they're enforced. I was seriously pi$$ed last year when a train of 6 lads passed me working together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Having raced Athy I thought I would never say it but last years Hell of the West was the worst drafting I ever experienced in a race. I am a slow cyclist so it was depressing to see scores of groups clearly drafting going by me all afternoon

The draft busters were riding behind one particular cavalcade of cyclists for a couple of minutes and I righteously thought good those cheats will be nailed but from the results sheet there seemed to be scant to no effort in penalising any of these.

Hope its fixed for this year, really enjoyed the race otherwise

Well Fazz cannot be at every race but here is the next best thing!

Athlete tracking via Facebook. I think you enter your name and agree to allow the app to update your FB wall as you cross mats. Then anyone wishing to track you can just check out your FB account. I presume one could just use the above link as well, enter name or number and click search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

pgibbo wrote: »
    I just hope they're enforced. I was seriously pi$$ed last year when a train of 6 lads passed me working together.

I hope so too. Escpecially to catch any of the tope 10-15 at it. Seeing one of them stading still in at the 20k pen box would send out a clear message. I stiff headwind in from Doonbeg is bound to draw out the drafters in numbers...

Should be adopted by all TI races IMO.

Advertisement