Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Product photography

• 15-06-2012 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hello

I have met a local person who sells online only.

anyhow, product photography was a big issue, getting the pictures right.

is there work in this profession and is it worth doing course in it

They mention that there was.

thanks

CH

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Lazairus wrote: »
    Hello

I have met a local person who sells online only.

anyhow, product photography was a big issue, getting the pictures right.

is there work in this profession and is it worth doing course in it

They mention that there was.

thanks

CH

there can be serious money in it, i have dabbled in it before but found it tedious to say the least, i wouldnt bother with a course, a basic course on studio lighting would suffice, same idea, was a few theads in it before if you have a search, a basic lightbox ( foldable laundry basket even) and a tripod and some lights and your away, food product however is a nightmare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

food product however is a nightmare

Jewellery too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Very monotonous. Set up lighting, place product, shoot. Place product, shoot, place product, shoot.

Once you get your lighting set its just matter of placing the product in place and taking a shot. Nothing creative other than lighting and layout of the product.

Easy money if you want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

I worked in a studio last year. Wore thing we did was glass with engraved designs on them. Nightmare stuff. Each glass was radically different to the alst so we couldn't use the same set up for the most part, as it was reflecting in different areas and creating mad shapes.

There is work in it, but it's all down to establishing your name as a photographer or having a studio, sadly! That's not to say you won't get it, just not steadily at the start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

This is the point where pushing a shutter button for money greatly tangents from the purpose of pushing a shutter button for pleasure.

I gave up pushing that button for money about 2 years ago. It killed the feeling of pushing it for pleasure.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

It's huge market for product photography, but you must have huge portfolio and perfect sales team or contribute to stock agencies. It'll take a while and you have to shoot, post process and upload all the time. For example, take a look here. Such work is not monotonous, you must be creative otherwise you earn any money :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I think you might be mixing up stock with product photography.

Product photography depending on the product is extremely boring but if you can set up quickly and shoot consistently then you can make some money if the client doesnt p**s and moan about how much they have to pay you :-)
    sebphoto wrote: »
    It's huge market for product photography, but you must have huge portfolio and perfect sales team or contribute to stock agencies. It'll take a while and you have to shoot, post process and upload all the time. For example, take a look here. Such work is not monotonous, you must be creative otherwise you earn any money :)

• Site Banned Posts: 13 rdsatapa

It is all in the light. You may want to consider setting up your product photography studio or mobile studio, so you can can move the equipment to the customer's site, which should enable you to charge more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 meinboard

Making money from product photography is bl**** tough; but so is all photography.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Product photography on Creative live this weekend

http://www.creativelive.com/live

(now!)

They normally do a rerun for 12 hours after.

Would be worth a look - its free to view live, or buy a download after the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Product photography on Creative live this weekend

http://www.creativelive.com/live

They normally do a rerun for 12 hours after.
    Thanks for the pointer to this. I've watched a good chunk of yesterday's coverage and it has a lot of top class info; well worth the time.

Quite eye opening to see how time consuming a simple product shot can be to do properly!

Looking forward to Day 3 (which is about to start streaming, or repeating, as I post this).

Advertisement