Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy a laptop in Waterford City?

Options
  • 15-06-2012 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Just wondering where is the best place one could buy a laptop in waterford city, ive been to hardly normal and they dont do haggling as i tried before when i was buying dishwasher and asked if we bougt a laptop too could they do a deal, flat NO i got cos its different departments supposedly.

I did the same in dollards a couple of years back and they were happy to play ball when i bought a few things they gave me a good discount.

So wheres the best place to buy a laptop like who does the best deals etc, I think i will look in PC world and then go to Hardly Normal and maybe even argos, please let me know what you think cos i havent got a clue when it comes to laptops what i should look out for, we want a decent laptop that isnt slow for home use and we also use it for skype and dont mind paying for a decent laptop

suggestions please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

Harvey norman staff lose commission by giving discount and they dont cross departments, You would possibly have gotten individual discounts from both departments rather than one discount in total. Harvey Norman have a minimum price a product can sell for and anything above that is the sales persons commission. They probably dont like to agree on losing that for cross department sales or how to divide it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Okay thats grand then any suggestions as to where to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Think soundstore are decent enough and DID out by Tesco Ardkeen.
    If you're looking for a fairly high spec one I'd stick with PC World but if its a entry level one try Tesco's or Xtravision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

mayhap the closing down sale in Sony might be worth a look. At the same time I checked out mp3 players there this morning and there was no markdown at all.

Is that the one accross from Lidl?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

old gregg wrote: »
    mayhap the closing down sale in Sony might be worth a look. At the same time I checked out mp3 players there this morning and there was no markdown at all.

Are there any bargains on the laptops in there?

Avox wrote: »

Might pay a trip down there so!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Is that the one accross from Lidl?
    nope, centre of town next door to sherwoods
    Avox wrote: »
    I didn't look.

nope, centre of town next door to sherwood

Sorry im not from there here parts where exactly is that?

nope, centre of town next door to sherwood

Sorry im not from there here parts where exactly is that?

You know the street where Euro 2 and them are? Dunnes Stores ladies shop would be on one side of the street, A Wear on the other side, and Sherwoods red electrical shop is right next door to Sony?

• Advertisement

Oh yeah i know it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I'd recommend shopping online tbh - http://komplett.ie have some great deals on laptops at the moment. You can grab one capable of mid-range gaming with a HD Screen for less than €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭south

Tesco have a Toshiba one for €299 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Tellox wrote: »
    I'd recommend shopping online tbh - http://komplett.ie have some great deals on laptops at the moment. You can grab one capable of mid-range gaming with a HD Screen for less than €500.

PCs and laptops have been HD way before HD was cool! Don't be conned by buzz words.

south wrote: »
    Tesco have a Toshiba one for €299 at the moment.

Can anybody stand over this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭south

might be worth asking for a discount here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056670747

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Harvey Norman have a decent enough spec laptop in their sale book at the mo. Fujitsu, upgraded to 6gb ram, 320gb hard drive and a fast processor for only €377.

I know they wont discount the machine more at that price, but they will offer you a discount on accessories if you buy them at the same time

Harvey Norman have a decent enough spec laptop in their sale book at the mo. Fujitsu, upgraded to 6gb ram, 320gb hard drive and a fast processor for only €377.

I know they wont discount the machine more at that price, but they will offer you a discount on accessories if you buy them at the same time

That laptops a very old model though, came out during 2010 and all they've upgraded on it is the ram!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Tellox was right, online you get a far better and far more up to date choice than in retail. If you want decent spec look at Alienware http://www.dell.com/ie/p/alienware-laptops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Just dont buy one in town. I went looking everywhere around spetember and Harvey norman had crap and pc world want stupid prices. Its worth your while looking online like amazon and komplett. Also give it another month if your in no rush, the new i5 processors are just launched and places will try clear the old 2nd gen processors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Once you buy MAC youll never go back :D

This is all vary good but for me i need to know what i need to look for.

I dont know what i need to look for when buying Laptop.

tell me please

S28382 wrote: »
    Once you buy MAC youll never go back :D

can you give me a link for a good mac laptop and or what to look out for when buying one

can you give me a link for a good mac laptop and or what to look out for when buying one

A mac is an Apple laptop and will set you back at least €1000 if you're prepared to spend that

What are you needs? I always tell people to get something that will do what you need + a bit extra. You want a laptop that will be quick in a few years. Heres the mac http://www.apple.com/ie/mac/ the "air" is a super portable laptop. There very quick an just got all the latest gear. The pros are €2000+ but are beasts of computers, the base is literally 3 times more powerful then my toshiba which cost 700 2 years ago :D

If you look around town look at the stickers,

First generation i5 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a0/Intel_i5_logo.png

Second gen i5 http://www.pelitawijaya.com/produk-image/stiker-logo-new/intel-core-i5-sandy.jpg

Dont know what the 3rd gen looks like yet

Thanks you Doylers,

Its a family computer so we will use it for us but we want it to be quick and we want to use skype and want a decent lasting machine, at the moment we have a toshiba dont ask me what it is but we have it 6 years or so and its acting up at times, I think it honestly started to act up when we bought our last norton security package never buying it again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

JPA wrote: »
    PCs and laptops have been HD way before HD was cool! Don't be conned by buzz words.

You kidding me? 1366x768~ is not HD. 1920x1080 is HD. If you're below that on a screen larger than 17", it looks terrible. And unfortunately, most laptops sold in tesco/PC World etc have screens around that resolution.

Thanks you Doylers,

Its a family computer so we will use it for us but we want it to be quick and we want to use skype and want a decent lasting machine, at the moment we have a toshiba dont ask me what it is but we have it 6 years or so and its acting up at times, I think it honestly started to act up when we bought our last norton security package never buying it again

Whats your budget roughly? You know any computer can do skype because nothing really is required just a decent web connection. Id look at a HD webcam in the pc anyway if skype is a thing you will do anyway often. Post a few computers you find.
    http://www.dell.com/ie/p/laptops?~ck=mn#!tabId=3BB5B0AB&facets=40187~0~196663,93410~0~1450394&p=1

Have a look at the XPS 15 €729. Not a bad pc but you dont get the latest processor or memory but not a bad bitta kit for its price.

Advertisement