Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving meter and fuseboard

Options
  • 15-06-2012 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hello,

I will be gutting and renovating an old cottage soon and need advise about moving the meter.

The house has an existing ESB supply.

I was thinking of constructing a temporary standalone pillar near the house to hold the meter, a temporary fuseboard and a few sockets.

That way I can maintain electrical supply to the site while isolating the house.

Can the temporary fuseboard go into the cabinet with the meter or does it need a separate one. If so, what type would be suitable?

I will of course be getting an electrician in at a later stage

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭hohojojo

having fuse board and meter beside each other makes no differance but moving them with out blowing the esb fuse will be a nightmare and if you do blow it the esb wont turn it back on to a site like your saying

is there a reason your moving it out side surely if you are stripping the house you could still leave a temperary board in there

• Registered Users Posts: 33 EngTech

The whole house is being gutted including the roof and one of the walls so the meter has to go.
    I was intending on getting the esb to move the meter

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

EngTech wrote: »
    The whole house is being gutted including the roof and one of the walls so the meter has to go.
    I was intending on getting the esb to move the meter

Only the esb can move the meter anyway.

What we usually do with renovations is remove everything from the board thats already there so everything in the house is dead and just stick one or two sockets underneath it for site power during the work process for as long as you can get away with leaving them there.

You need to think about where the final position of the new meter and new fuse board are going to go early on in the job.We try to have the meter cabinet fitted with all ductings in etc as early as possible so that everything is ready to go when we need to make the move.

So when you finally get to the stage where the old meter and board are in the way and need to be moved,I would run my new mains tails to the new final board location and fit a temporary board with the two sockets for site power.

The ESB will then come along and move the meter to the new cabinet and your electrician can connect your power back up.You really only want to be moving the meter once as you will be charged for everytime you do it.

Obviously its up to your electrician to make sure your temporary board is safe and waterproofed for when the roof comes off.

When the time comes to fit your new fuse board the electrician can kill the power with his 63A mcb in the meter cabinet and remove the temporary board.

This is how it has worked for me 9 times out of 10 over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

paddymick wrote: »
    Only the esb can move the meter anyway.

What we usually do with renovations is remove everything from the board thats already there so everything in the house is dead and just stick one or two sockets underneath it for site power during the work process for as long as you can get away with leaving them there.

You need to think about where the final position of the new meter and new fuse board are going to go early on in the job.We try to have the meter cabinet fitted with all ductings in etc as early as possible so that everything is ready to go when we need to make the move.

So when you finally get to the stage where the old meter and board are in the way and need to be moved,I would run my new mains tails to the new final board location and fit a temporary board with the two sockets for site power.

The ESB will then come along and move the meter to the new cabinet and your electrician can connect your power back up.You really only want to be moving the meter once as you will be charged for everytime you do it.

Obviously its up to your electrician to make sure your temporary board is safe and waterproofed for when the roof comes off.

When the time comes to fit your new fuse board the electrician can kill the power with his 63A mcb in the meter cabinet and remove the temporary board.

This is how it has worked for me 9 times out of 10 over the last few years.

agree
    leave meter and board where it is if possible
    just leave 1 twin socket underneath for power during construction
    apply for reposition of meter asap to esbn(might involve site visit)
    agree position of permanent meter cabinet and ducting with esbn
    there will be a cost to esbn for this
    do as much of the 1st and 2nd fix electrics as possible and get electrical contractor to issue completion cert when appropriate

when you are renovating,its sometimes possible to leave the esb meter where it is and then patch up the small area when final meter position is done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

yes move it once as the lads described.
    Strictly speaking i suppose the temp site power should be 110v only-i'd say most provide 230v

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I guess you'd plug your 110v traffos into the sockets for site use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

lads will use 230 if it's available ime

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pat71

I have just bought land with an old cottage in need of repair there is ESB lines coming from poles beside the house but it has been disconnected how would i go about getting it reconnected so i can power a mobile home on site untill i restore the cottage .Thanks .

Advertisement