Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rds enteries for ponies without qualifiers ?

Options
  • 15-06-2012 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hello,
    I was just wondering are there any pony classes that can be entered without going through qualifiers ?

My daughter(shes 15) is taking on a 148cm Connemara for the summer now and has missed the qualifiers and I wasn't sure if there were an classes she could enter ?

She's not in ponyclub as she was never interested in it .
    She wouldn't be fussy on what kind of class .
    We go every year to watch but what she'd really love is to compete .
    I was never into horses so show enteries and qualifiers all go over my head !

Any help would be great - I have a feeling she's out of luck for this year though but I said i'd look anyway ! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Is it showing or showjumping you are asking after? Cant help on the showing front, but the showjumping qualifiers arent over yet if thats any use to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Meg meg

Either one .
    I would find showing better but if we were able to make jumping qualifiers it would be great .
    What classes are the jumping qualifiers for or is it done by classes ?

MDFM wrote: »
    Is it showing or showjumping you are asking after? Cant help on the showing front, but the showjumping qualifiers arent over yet if thats any use to you?

I have just found a list of qualifiers but doesn't look like we'll make them due to other commitments .

In regard to showing classes such as Connemara classes - do you just send in an entry form or are there qualifiers involved in that ?
    Thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Here you go:) Ridden Connemara class, entry forms are available on the site, closing date July 9th

http://www.dublinhorseshow.com/index.jsp?p=396&n=405&a=0

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭xxkarenxx

marley123 wrote: »
    Here you go:) Ridden Connemara class, entry forms are available on the site, closing date July 9th

http://www.dublinhorseshow.com/index.jsp?p=396&n=405&a=0

There are also working hunter pony classes so she could still get some jumping in and no qualification necessary. There are Connemara performance classes as well, there is qualifiers for these though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Meg meg wrote: »
    Hello,
    I was just wondering are there any pony classes that can be entered without going through qualifiers ?

My daughter(shes 15) is taking on a 148cm Connemara for the summer now and has missed the qualifiers and I wasn't sure if there were an classes she could enter ?

She's not in ponyclub as she was never interested in it .
    She wouldn't be fussy on what kind of class .
    We go every year to watch but what she'd really love is to compete .
    I was never into horses so show enteries and qualifiers all go over my head !

Any help would be great - I have a feeling she's out of luck for this year though but I said i'd look anyway ! :)

Please do not take this the wrong way, but might you be biting off more than you can chew? What I mean is - has your daughter ever completed in a working hunter or performance connemara class before at a lower level?

No teenager should be making their first ever showing appearance at Dublin.

There is plenty of " Warm up shows" , dublin still 2mths away:) ( Thank god! )
    Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Please do not take this the wrong way, but might you be biting off more than you can chew? What I mean is - has your daughter ever completed in a working hunter or performance connemara class before at a lower level?

No teenager should be making their first ever showing appearance at Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

marley123 wrote: »
    There is plenty of " Warm up shows" , dublin still 2mths away:) ( Thank god! )

Yes I am aware of that, I will be at Gorey tomorrow myself.

No indication from the OP that she will be doing the county show circuit to prepare though.

My point is this - IMO one shouldnt just roll up to the RDS for any class without any experience on the basis of having been a spectator and fancy having a go. That would be akin to an 18 handicap golfer entering the Irish Open.

This is the premier show in the country, the pinnacle of the sport. Maybe the OP's daughter has lots of experience which she doesnt mention. If that is the case, then no problem, good luck with it.

Hello again ,
    Thank you for all the replies which have been very helpful :)
    Yes my daughter has had plenty of experience at local and some national shows. She is riding over 10 years and is well capable :) (sorry for not mentioning before!)

I am well aware of how the actual shows work , it was the entry process I was unsure about .
    I will strongly think about the ridden Connemara class as it seams most suitable and I assure yous that we will fit in more trainig shows before turning up .

Again thank you for so many replies and the help . Very much appreciated . Good luck to any others entering :)

Best of luck to your Daughter Meg Meg, I can still remember the first time I competed in the RDS as if it was yesterday, its a very special show to be part of & memories last a lifetime:)

• Advertisement

Thank you :)
    I cannot even begin to imagine the feeling you get when competiting at such a highly regarded show !
    We have the special help of some lovely people from our local yard to help us prepare so we're hoping all goes well . I will be happy for her just to compete but to get placed would just be outstanding !

Its quite special, plus this year I am competing as is my young daughter so cant wait for show this year.

Connemara class is of an exceptionally high standard as with any class in Dublin it really is worth getting an experienced groom from the yard you are at to help with the Visual side of getting the horse ready, plaiting , conditioning etc... Linseed is very very good to introduce to their diet, puts a lovely sheen on their coat & would also recomenend he/she has a smaller grazing area without a heard of horses if possible for the month before the show to restrict the chance of injury..
    Meg meg wrote: »
    Thank you :)
    I cannot even begin to imagine the feeling you get when competiting at such a highly regarded show !
    We have the special help of some lovely people from our local yard to help us prepare so we're hoping all goes well . I will be happy for her just to compete but to get placed would just be outstanding !

Well I wish yous both the best of luck :) What classes are yous entering ?
    The Connemara in question has competed in the Rds before so at least the pony has some experience too !
    Oh we will get plenty of help with that side as I can only imagine the standard of turn out for both horse and rider .

Thank you for all your lovely advice and help , it is very kind :)

Advertisement