Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bettering the Community # 1: Equipment

Options
  • 15-06-2012 1:28pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Bettering the Community # 1: Equipment

Mods, I have just taken a single issue from the "how we run tournaments" thread so we can debate it fully on a single thread. If you feel that it is best that we keep all these threads together, then please feel free to merge.

I think the most critical need at the moment is the need for proper equipment. We need a pool of equipment that can cater for the needs of local events (Inferno, tempest etc) but can also be pooled for the larger events when needed.

So what do we need? How do we afford it? Where should the equipment be allocated?
    From my point of view, we need to invest at a community level, but with the idea that we can pool our equipment when we all get together for a major event like the Evo qualifier.
    I feel that we should focus on buying quality over quantity. We do not need lots of monitors, we just need lagless ones.

I'm not a fan of any membership fees, but would really like to see a weekend of community events being held whereby ALL entry fees (minus costs) will be given to buying the proper equipment.

Pick a month (eg August/September). Try to run an event in Dublin, Cork and wherever else we can instead of the usual monthly event. Make a big deal about the fact that every penny is going to go towards the equipment we need to grow. If people want to throw in an extra fiver or so, then let them do so.

Get in touch with a few businesses who might want to donate a few euro in turn for advertising at the event and thanks on rs.ie

If we could raise enough for 2 monitors in Dublin and 1 in Cork (badly needed IMHO) we would be in a great position to build our equipment in future. That would be 3 lagless monitors for the Evo tournament. If we need xboxes, we can get them cheap second hand.

Just to say, I don't care if you are someone who wins most games you play or no games you play, whether you think you have a great idea or maybe you think it's a stupid idea...post your ideas here. Don't be afraid to voice your opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

FutureGuy wrote: »
    If we could raise enough for 1 in Cork (badly needed IMHO) we would be in a great position to build our equipment in future.

I think we actually have enough saved up in Cork for one at this stage. I held off getting one because I was preparing to leave and didn't want to have to buy a monitor and then find a new storage solution for it a month later.

Misty has enough equipment to bring in already, so if someone can store a monitor in the city I reckon one of those should be bought soon.

There's a list floating around on SRK somewhere with dozens of monitors tested for lag. Does anyone know if there's a particularly recommended model for being decently priced while maintaining lagless quality?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The benq and the dell one listed on the SRK thread are both effectively lagless and under the 150 mark.

the dell one is ridiculously lightweight but doesn't have an audio out (this can be worked around through the fact you can output HDMi and analog sound at the same time on an Xbox easily.)

the benq looks like the better option to me.

The Dublin community also has enough to buy a monitor and an Xbox and TBH I am sick and tired of acting like La Forge under a pile of wires working around the obstacles of recording and splitting a HD VGA signal. A monitor right now is our single and most important purchase that we can then work off (personally I think it should go monitor, xbox, monitor, xbox until we have 4. Every tournament that uses the equipment must give a cut. Sorted), not just for me, but because if people are fighting for money they should be playing with the best equipment at the upper levels.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I have the benq one and it's spot on, not to mention it has a simple audio out. Playing RB on it set to 0ms lag offset is like heaven.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Great response already!

I haven't a clue which monitor is best but I think that, as a community, we should identify a single monitor that best suits our needs and stick to that model, whether we are buying for Cork, Dublin of wherever.

It means that we have a uniform model everywhere and everyone will know what to expect, no matter where they are playing.

Can people post links to the monitors?

Also, what xboxes would best suit our needs? The new 4gb models perhaps? Surely 4gb would be enough for all our needs? Remember, we can sell off the controllers that come with them! Every cent helps!

OK so there is a community fund for Dublin and Cork already which is great. Sairus, you have stated that the fund for Cork is earmarked for a monitor. Inferno peeps, what about the community fund up there? Is it earmarked for anything already?

Sub 1 frame, it shoudln't make a difference which model you're on :D I can't link right now.

As for the xboxes, I don't actually think 4GB will be enough- potentially you will need arcade edition, all the MK dlc, the UMvC dlc, 3S, Kof DLC, Skullgirls, VF5 if anyone wants to play it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Im selling a monitor for 100. Its brand new basically. I had plans to use it for a new pc but im gonna stick with my imac. SRK says it has 7ms of lag

This one. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-VE228H-Widescreen-Monitor-10000000/dp/B0043VPC0K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339767633&sr=8-1

Sub 1 frame, it shoudln't make a difference which model you're on :D I can't link right now.

As for the xboxes, I don't actually think 4GB will be enough- potentially you will need arcade edition, all the MK dlc, the UMvC dlc, 3S, Kof DLC, Skullgirls, VF5 if anyone wants to play it...

We could easily pick up a few 250g xboxes second hand on adverts for 170-180 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

We need somewhere safe to keep this stuff, preferably in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

If the community is looking for a fundraiser, the all nighter to watch the EVO finals like last year would be a golden opportunity to raise funds. Basically charge say 10 - 15 Euro regardless of the fee and any money made goes towards the community fund.

Aside from that, I'm thinking of hosting an all nighter myself sometime in July ( AFTER EVO and I need to work out where to have it ) and maybe charge say 5 - 10 euro per person with that money going towards the Cork community fund.

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

I think the best option to move this along would be to vote in the new committee. Each with a mandate for different aspects. That way we have a 'leader' who will bring each element through.

• Advertisement

Can one setup be at least bought before the next inferno?

I'm agreeing with Bush here. We need at least 1 bought before the next tournament, it can stay with the other monitors.

Could someone who is not me and will be at Inferno please do this? We can sort out the money from Chopper there. I would but the cash flow is a bit tight this month.

As for revoting on the committee- I agree, and I'm thinking about the best way to do it (I've kind of gone sour on polls on boards for these kinds of things as anyone can vote, including people who are just voting for the sake of it- see Sairus' Skullgirls tournament for a good example).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

As for revoting on the committee- I agree, and I'm thinking about the best way to do it (I've kind of gone sour on polls on boards for these kinds of things as anyone can vote, including people who are just voting for the sake of it- see Sairus' Skullgirls tournament for a good example).

We all have a login for randomselect.ie right? Surely we can do a vote on the site by logging in and picking your choice. Before that though we'd need nominations (which I think could be done here) and also a decision on how many places there are, what mandate each position has and what responsibilities are expected for the role.

When we have that - we can vote. Twill also allow time to get the UI done for a vote. Farz, get on it.

I don't know how many people have a log on for Rs.ie, and even then how many would go to the bother of crating a user to vote.

Anyway immediate future we really need a set up (and preferably an xbox) for 2 weeks time. Trying to keep the focus there :)

I don't know how many people have a log on for Rs.ie, and even then how many would go to the bother of crating a user to vote.

Anyway immediate future we really need a set up (and preferably an xbox) for 2 weeks time. Trying to keep the focus there :)

OK, how much will that cost (monitor and xbox)?

FutureGuy wrote: »
    OK, how much will that cost (monitor and xbox)?

Roughly 300, I can find a link for the stuff later.

You'd know as well as I about the xbox though, tbh!

Ill just donate my monitor.
    Buy 2 xboxes and another monitor and that will be a good start. Make a bigger push for people to bring xboxes, free entry maybe. That will give us 6 setups.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    We need somewhere safe to keep this stuff, preferably in the city centre.

quoting this again because we need to sort this out before anything is bought

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    quoting this again because we need to sort this out before anything is bought

I don't think an extra monitor is going to make that much of a difference but yeah, we need to sort this long term.

Is there anyone near by who wouldn't mind holding onto an Xbox or 2 for us when not in use?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Is there anyone near by who wouldn't mind holding onto an Xbox or 2 for us when not in use?

Yeah I can. I live ridiculously close to the Exchange at the moment so it shouldn't be a bother.

FYI though my lease is up in August and I don't know where I'm living after that.

If you guys are okay with a temp solution though I'll store them.

• Advertisement

bush wrote: »
    Ill just donate my monitor.
    Buy 2 xboxes and another monitor and that will be a good start. Make a bigger push for people to bring xboxes, free entry maybe. That will give us 6 setups.

Jesus, that's awful kind of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If someone can link to what needs to be bought and it's less than €465 I can buy it, or someone who lives in Dublin can buy it and I'll reimburse them later.

Should we get these things insured as well?

I'd hate for a break-in to set us back to square one.

I just moved a couple of posts to the other thread, it's not often I try to force things on topic but this is important.

If we could keep this thread to JUST the equipment issue, otherwise it's kinda pointless.

If someone can link to what needs to be bought and it's less than €465 I can buy it, or someone who lives in Dublin can buy it and I'll reimburse them later.

Are you going to be able to make the next inferno? Pretty pointless if not.

Delivery addresses can be changed to someone who will be there.

Delivery addresses can be changed to someone who will be there.

I can supply my work address if we're still talking about the same thing.

That would be safest.

Edit: PM'd to Chopper

Ok, if anyone wants to know It wold seem the S2330MX from dell is our official monitor :D

It's the best performing on the SRK list.

Ok, if anyone wants to know It wold seem the S2330MX from dell is our official monitor :D

It's the best performing on the SRK list.

Very nice monitor and 2ms response time. It's on amazon for £185 which is a good price. Free shipping too.

• Advertisement

We bought two of them this morning direct from Dell for €322.04.

I'm working on trying to get a new 250GB 360-S at a discount price.

Advertisement