Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bettering the Community # 1: Equipment

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Very nice monitor and 2ms response time. It's on amazon for £185 which is a good price. Free shipping too.

It's cheaper from Dell.ie itself, btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Those monitors are on a 20% off deal until the 27th of June, so if we wanted more at that price we'd have to order them quickly.

Well, in that case if someone wants to pay them up front and get them later...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Got the two monitors delivered to me at work just now.

Dunno if I need to do any prep or checking on them before they're used for a main tournament?

If they require but don't come with Xbox/VGA cables, I would need at least one off someone to test. I can swing by any casuals anytime to grab something like this.

Unless DooM sent me the wrong link, they should have HDMI input.

• Advertisement

Unless DooM sent me the wrong link, they should have HDMI input.

No need to be alarmed, I'm still at work and haven't opened the boxes, I was just wondering.

They don't have their own speakers however, so don't be alarmed if there's no sound.

They have little dongles which plug into the DVI port for hdmi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

yeh, we need to break an xbox hdmi cable to allow for the sound to also be output. We have it done at home, works fine and the monitors are sweet.

Alternately there is an adapter - apparently but I dont know where or how much.

ayjayirl wrote: »
    yeh, we need to break an xbox hdmi cable to allow for the sound to also be output. We have it done at home, works fine and the monitors are sweet.

Alternately there is an adapter - apparently but I dont know where or how much.

RCA/ component not HDMI, break a hdmi cable and you have a broken hdmi cable :)

The adaptors are pretty cheap, we had a wee chat about it on IRC.

• Advertisement

It also appears to be pretty easy to take the casing off the standard xbox composite cable so it won't block the hdmi port.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

It also appears to be pretty easy to take the casing off the standard xbox composite cable so it won't block the hdmi port.

Yup, that's what I meant by break the cable, just got the cable wrong - which is funny since I was the one who did it in the house here.

Just to bump the relevant topic:

Right lads, I've got a problem.

I can't attend Infergus/Judgement day.

I need someone to meet up with me mid-week to take and store the two monitors for Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 EVanB

This is slightly tangential, why the focus on 360's as opposed to PS3's? Is it a preference/price thing or is there a tangible benefit?

EVanB wrote: »
    This is slightly tangential, why the focus on 360's as opposed to PS3's? Is it a preference/price thing or is there a tangible benefit?

Most of our older monitors are VGA and PS3 doesn't support VGA for some ridiculous reason.

I hear some people moan about ps3 because of the 2 frame input delay too.

Most of our older monitors are VGA and PS3 doesn't support VGA for some ridiculous reason.

I hear some people moan about ps3 because of the 2 frame input delay too.

Ah yeah, the VGA thing makes sense. As far as I was aware the 2 frame input delay on the PS3 was only an issue in SF4 and Marvel, whereas it was the superior platform for all/most other big franchises. I take it SF4 & Marvel are pretty dominant on the Irish scene?

Ah yeah, the VGA thing makes sense. As far as I was aware the 2 frame input delay on the PS3 was only an issue in SF4 and Marvel, whereas it was the superior platform for all/most other big franchises. I take it SF4 & Marvel are pretty dominant on the Irish scene?

There's a fairly big MK9 scene too and there was a BB scene until arksys seemed determined to piss everyone off in Europe but yeah, mainly SF/ Marvel.

It's not for want of trying to get others out to play though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Bigger 360 community in Ireland, console is cheaper, and (this is a killer) you can bring DLC games/updates with you on USB sticks.

I wish PS3 was the console of choice just due to controller swapping being easier to handle, but eh, we've worked around it by now.
    Also, PS3 custom sticks are way easier to make.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Bigger 360 community in Ireland, console is cheaper, and (this is a killer) you can bring DLC games/updates with you on USB sticks.

I wish PS3 was the console of choice just due to controller swapping being easier to handle, but eh, we've worked around it by now.
    Also, PS3 custom sticks are way easier to make.

I certainly agree about the sticks, I suppose I'll finally have to give in and dual mod one ;)

Advertisement