Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering in the City

Options
  • 15-06-2012 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Ok, so I've just moved to cork and during the weekdays I don't start work until 6pm. Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where they would be looking for volunteers in Cork City. I'm going into second year in Social Science, and I've already got a background in community service, so just looking for somewhere that might need someone a few hours a week? Any suggestions?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

would you try charity shops or the samaritans they have a few homeless shelters in cork too..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

This seems a decent cause and they are looking for volunteers.

http://www.corkpennydinners.ie/wp/

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Steba

Preferably something hands on, I know that a few charities don't exactly send their money to the best places, so if I can see the affects of my work, then I'd be happy! But yeah, the penny dinners and samaritans are both worth looking into! Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

mm the penny diners might be a good one alright..

It is actually really hard to find something like this to do in Cork. I am kinda in the same boat and find it really hard to do anything.

I more or less offered to work for free at anything and all i got back was well this place is looking for staff or this place, which is not what I wanted..I wanted to help out...

Offered free gardening to perhaps eldery people or someone who needs a hand na, nothing..Tried the Care for the Eldery place and they have too many volunteers and I am sorry to anyone if they are in with the animal care crowd but there isnt a hope i would get involved there as tis too much politics..

people seem to think if you offer a free service that you want something

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Steba

Found this, you might be interested in it!Register Form for Volunteers in Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Milly33 wrote: »
    mm the penny diners might be a good one alright..

It is actually really hard to find something like this to do in Cork. I am kinda in the same boat and find it really hard to do anything.

I more or less offered to work for free at anything and all i got back was well this place is looking for staff or this place, which is not what I wanted..I wanted to help out...

Offered free gardening to perhaps eldery people or someone who needs a hand na, nothing..Tried the Care for the Eldery place and they have too many volunteers and I am sorry to anyone if they are in with the animal care crowd but there isnt a hope i would get involved there as tis too much politics..

people seem to think if you offer a free service that you want something

Jes Milly,I will have to get your contact details.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Meals on Wheels? Few of them around the place and may need helpers.

Jes Milly,I will have to get your contact details.:D

Haha to be honest tis just to do something to keep me occupied..Himself gigs alot at the weekends and i am off two days a week.. It al equals going bleeding nuts

Done and duster Stebe thanks for that, had not come across it before..Hopefully this will show something.. have you found anything yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

Its pretty mad, but it seems to be impossible to help out few hours per week in charity shops these days. Mostly they say they have already too many people.
    I'd still recommend going through each of them and ask, just in case.

St Vincent de Paul, Cork Simon community - they require new volunteers time to time, for different things.

Cork Penny Dinners and Meals on Wheels are both very decent organisations also.

You could check out www.volunteerireland for more options even just to give u more ideas or more local just for Cork area www.volunteercork.ie

You can also inquire from your local church if there is anything that needs helping out with in ur area. Theres a fair chance the local priest knows who to send you to (as in elderly who need any assistance with shopping or bit of gardening).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris.Buckley

I think the SVP in tivoli might take some volunteers, but it might be a bit quiet there.. Cork penny dinners will accept any help they can get as far as i know, I think i'll give them a shot myself seen as I have some free time at the moment, plus it's a good place to meet people i'd say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

the ispcc are holding an information evening early aug looking for people in cork check out their facebook page

Advertisement