Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sweden v England 7:45PM

• 15-06-2012 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭

For all those interested we ahve England V Sweden at 7:45PM.

England are expected to make a change from the 1-1 draw with France as boss Roy Hodgson aims for a win over Sweden. Andy Carroll is tipped to start alongside Danny Welbeck up front, with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain making way and Ashley Young reverting to a left-wing role. Otherwise there are no major injury concerns, with Martin Kelly recovering from a virus and Wayne Rooney sitting out the second match of a two-game ban.

Sweden named their starting XI for the match eight hours before kick-off. There are three changes to the team that lost to Ukraine. West Brom centre-back Jonas Olsson comes in for right-back Michael Lustig who has a hip injury, with Andreas Granqvist moving to right-back. Ola Toivonen was disappointing when asked to play in a wide role, and has been replaced by veteran midfielder Anders Svensson, while Markus Rosenberg makes way for Johan Elmander, who leads the line as Zlatan Ibrahimovic drops deeper.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I think Milner should make way instead of Ox, he was very ineffective in the first match. Agree that Carroll should start, but they need to try and keep the ball on the ground except when putting in proper crosses.

I think they'll have enough to win tonight. They will need to, otherwise they'll need to beat Ukraine at home in game 3...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Yeah, they would be much better off with The Ox on the right and Young on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Dunno wot they see in Milner. England should be playing Walcott or Ox in tht spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Seaneh wrote: »
    Yeah, they would be much better off with The Ox on the right and Young on the right.

Double wingers is quite a tactical innovation for Hodgson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Milner works his socks off that's why he plays . He ran more than anyone else against France

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I have noticed Milner's ball control is pretty woeful (even by British/Irish standards) but he's a hard worker and pretty good on set pieces too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I'd rest one of Gerrard or Parker and bring in Milner to the centre. Ukraine will possibly be the tougher game. They will have more of the ball than England so a stronger team will be needed.
    Maybe Hodgson hoping to lead by a couple and rest players late on.

stovelid wrote: »
    Double wingers is quite a tactical innovation for Hodgson

That was Alf Ramsay's plan B if the Wingless Wonders option failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Should be a decent game, Walcott might start this game as his pace will cause Olsson a lot of problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'd imagine Olsson and Mellberg will be a lot happier dealing with Big Andy than they would Ashley Young.

Don't know much about Granqvist, think he played right back 14 times for Wigan in 07 and they lost ten of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Depends on which Ibra turns up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Would love Ibra to score a couple. For some reason the English soccer journo's dont rate him at all.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Would love Ibra to score a couple. For some reason the English soccer journo's dont rate him at all.

He's never proven himself in the prem and doesn't get enough headed goals. Big lad like him should be up front doing a Niall Quinn impression, not messing around controlling games with consummate skill..

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Same could be said for the majority of the SF if you go by past (Milan match) threads, which is hilarious btw. Hope he does score tonight.

______

Expected to be 20000 Swedes and only up to 5000 English in the ground tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Pretty much the same view is shared by the majority of the RTE panel, bar Brady if memory serves me correct from previous Ibra v English teams UCL games.

I'd agree I hope he does the business, I had money on himanytime scorer against Ukraine, going to throw more moeny on him after work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Should be a decent game, Walcott might start this game as his pace will cause Olsson a lot of problems.

Olsson is quite pacey himself.

Advertisement