Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 Foot Laurels - Pruning

Options
  • 15-06-2012 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I got a 5 foot Laurel Hedge planted in October 2010 (50 metres), just before the really cold weather hit. It looked good up to May last year and then decided to kick the bucket.
    The guy who planted it (to his credit), came back and replanted the whole thing again (no additional charge), in Sept last year.
    The hedge is now jumping out of it and I am wondering if I should prune it back a small bit this year or leave it (to further establish itself) until next year?
    Many thanks
    Vtwin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You do not have to leave a hedge (or indeed most plants) to establish before cutting them back. Even if you put in cuttings it is a good idea to take off some of the new growth as the plant then has less to support while it is getting established.

The sooner you shorten the leaders of your plants the sooner they will become bushier and more likely to fill out to the bottom of the stems.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Vtwin

Thanks! If it ever stops raining I will take a wee bit off the top.
    Do you think I should also give the side a trim as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, no harm. The scruffiest hedges are the result of people thinking they should just leave them to grow to the required size before starting to trim them. They will grow just as quickly (honestly) and much better looking if you start to train them early on.

Advertisement