Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to school costs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

PinkFly wrote: »
    My lad is going in to 1st class this year and his uniforms never survived the whole 'year' and I wouldnt mind but I change him after school into his normal clothes..

If the children weren't at school they would wear regular clothes that most parents have plenty of that can be changed regularly more cheaply?

I think the issue people have with uniforms is that the schools have certain suppliers charging a fortune for a jumper with a crest when generic ones can be bought in dunnes and marks for a fraction of the price without a crest

If there were'nt school uniforms we parents would be under huge pressure from our children to dress them in latest trends and brands it would be a nightmare. Even if you never gave in to your childrens demands it would create constant arguments.

My children have usually got the year from their uniforms. I buy one jumper and the previous years is used as a spare. I buy a couple of shirts and a pair of trousers and if the girls need a new pinafore they get one but they do not wear them much and usually get a couple of years out of them.

I think the reason I get the year out of my kids uniforms is the quality in the shop I buy them from is much better than Dunnes. I tried some of their trousers one year and the hem was down before the first week was over, and the whole leg seam ripped within a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭NoodleMc

Getting back to costs...
    Just got the fees list for son going into first class in September. Not including books (have to buy 4), the school is looking for a total of 170 euro (including 50 voluntary contribution).
    That's just for one child - I have 2 girls in a different primary school and haven't seen their fees yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

NoodleMc wrote: »
    Getting back to costs...
    Just got the fees list for son going into first class in September. Not including books (have to buy 4), the school is looking for a total of 170 euro (including 50 voluntary contribution).
    That's just for one child - I have 2 girls in a different primary school and haven't seen their fees yet.

that voluntary contribution business amazes me, my sons school sent home a €250 request or 'easy' instalments of €50 a go!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

kippy wrote: »
    Why use Ipads though? Extremely overpriced/expensive and plenty of cheaper standardised options out there?
    Also leaving yourself open to Apple pricing.

They are an accepted standard and none of the Android tablets can compete with them yet,unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Moonbeam wrote: »
    They are an accepted standard and none of the Android tablets can compete with them yet,unfortunately :(
    Give me two reasons why the cannot compete with them?

I don't get this logic at all..........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Mine usually get the year out of a uniform easily enough and I only buy one of everything. Last years jumpers and shirts are kept as spares if needed and trousers can be washed mid week and dried by morning. I did have to get new trousers for my daughter this year after a fall ripped the others badly but it was late enough in the school year to go a size up so they'll do for next year.

School has started a book rental scheme but only for the readers so far but I think it's a saving of 20 euro. The rental cost in included in the general admin/ insurance fee of 30 euro per child so we won't really notice it anyway. It's only for readers so far but it's a start. The workbooks really are the killer pricewise.

I'm undecided about the ipad issue. I can see the potential benefits/ pitfalls but also agree it doesn't necessarily have to be ipad. I won't have to think about it for a few years anyway and no doubt technology will have progressed so there will be newer fangled things for us to spend our money on by then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mumof2boys

hi new here hope i am doing the right would anyone here know where i could get school type grey shorts for my 11 year old son
    in or around galway not needed till september
    elastic back 27" waist thank so much .....lisa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

mumof2boys wrote: »
    hi new here hope i am doing the right would anyone here know where i could get school type grey shorts fr my 11 year old son
    in or around galway not needed till september
    elastic back 27" waist thank so much .....lisa

Have you tried Marks & Spensers or Anthony Ryan's, Schoolwear Centre out on the Tuam Road.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Cloud computing will never be a good option in primary until there is a roll out of high speed broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

Moonbeam wrote: »

I love my android, which has USB and card reader.
    Wouldn't swap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Prettyfireworks

cynder wrote: »
    With the e books you just update them so you don't have to buy a new addition. They last for 3 years for 1st to 3rd and for 2 years for 5th and 6th. Not sure if we will save money in the long run with the iPad but we are giving it a shot.

Sorry if this had already been said but I haven't read through the entire thread yet, before you fork out for an IPad check with the school that they allow them, I know some don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Sorry if this had already been said but I haven't read through the entire thread yet, before you fork out for an IPad check with the school that they allow them, I know some don't.

The school is introducing ipads for all 1st years if they want it, there was a take up of over 90%.

We already own the ipad so didn't have to go out to buy one. After saying that though i've spent over 1500 on back to school costs for my 3 kids....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I thought I was doing great buying 75% of the school books second hand for €25. Until I went to order the rest of the books(mostly workbooks) to the grand tune of €60. :(
    Then the uniform which is meant to be crested but I don't buy the crested one (45 quid for a pinafore!! Eh I don't think so!) will be another €150 including coat and shoes if I'm lucky.

And then we get the bills when they go back to school. The photocopying and the swimming lessons......another hundred or so.

ash23 wrote: »
    I thought I was doing great buying 75% of the school books second hand for €25. Until I went to order the rest of the books(mostly workbooks) to the grand tune of €60. :(
    Then the uniform which is meant to be crested but I don't buy the crested one (45 quid for a pinafore!! Eh I don't think so!) will be another €150 including coat and shoes if I'm lucky.

And then we get the bills when they go back to school. The photocopying and the swimming lessons......another hundred or so.

What class is your one in..

The cost of first years uniform is outrageous, cost over 400 euro, at least she will be in them for 3 years. The only things I will need to pick up next year will be shoes, socks and maybe a blouse, and a pair of trousers.

The school jacket should last for 5 years.

She's going into 4th so still growing and needing a new uniform every year more or less. I might be able to salvage some of last years because she took a growth spurt at Christmas and I had to buy a new tracksuit bottoms and new pinafore.
    On the plus side I got the pinafore in Tesco for 50c as they were trying to get rid :D

ash23 wrote: »
    She's going into 4th so still growing and needing a new uniform every year more or less. I might be able to salvage some of last years because she took a growth spurt at Christmas and I had to buy a new tracksuit bottoms and new pinafore.
    On the plus side I got the pinafore in Tesco for 50c as they were trying to get rid :D

I found I had to get a new uniform ever year in primary, not expecting major growth in secondary. The skirt has 2-3 inches growth in it, the blouse is 2 sizes too big and the jumper and jacket are 3 sizes too big.... The trousers and shoes are the only things that fit perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Daisy M wrote: »
    If there were'nt school uniforms we parents would be under huge pressure from our children to dress them in latest trends and brands it would be a nightmare. Even if you never gave in to your childrens demands it would create constant arguments.

I never understood this point of view. Do they not, in that case, put huge pressure on you for latest trends and brands for the clothes they wear in the evening and at weekends?

I have to say, my kids go to a non-uniform school, and they wouldnt have a clue about brands or trends. Its complete a non issue. I've also never heard of any kids in the school being bullied over their appearance. But then its a small primary school with a very diverse bunch of students, and I have all boys, so might be less likely to come across the issue in the first place.

If mine were going to exert pressure on us for anything it would be for Nintedo games.

I found it so odd that my 7 year old nephew knew the differance between a canterbury jumper and a Dunnes one. And even odder when my 3 year old nephew had a uniform for playschool. But differant strokes and all that...

On another note, the school books arrived today, just under €200 for three primary schoolers (Jr Inf, 2nd, 4th). Have put €300 in an envelope for the early September costs - photocopying/stationary/art supplies/book rentals and a new pair of shoes for each. And that should cover it. I'll be asked for a €100 voluntary contribution, some years I pay it, some years I dont, depends on the state of the finances at the time.

I dread any of them heading into second level though. Probably wont be able to avoid the uniforms then. I do like the idea of the iPad, would definitely take that up if its an option.
    And dont even get me thinking about collage :-(

That got ne thinking about my.costs this September 350 to secondary school and approx 200 to primary school. Gulp, thank goodness for the child benefit.... Even though it's not enough to cover it...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭piptypibe

I have been listening to the radio today and reading posts here about Back to school costs. I work in a school and every year I am just shocked at how much stuff ends up in Lost and Found. Everything from books, copies, to brand new designer label jackets, football boots, runners, shoes, bits of the uniform end up here resulting in the room overflowing with stuff. Usually there are no names on the majority of items either making it very difficult to return the items to their owners. The room is opened when a student requests but rarely they do. There is a lost and found day in August for parents but very few turn up to it.
    It's just my tuppance ha'penny worth but I believe parents of both primary and secondary school children should try and put names on everything their son or daughter brings to school. I always say it to the students themselves. Their stuff costs a lot of money to which many of them seem oblivious to (sadly for their parents.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kizzabel

What I cannot understand is the changes in the BTSA.
    Now I know we are lucky to have it and if not for it we would be in serious debt but last year my son (now 3) qualified for it and this year he did not, even though last year he was at home and this year he is starting playschool.

If I had known I would have kept up last years money but now I'm trying to send him and my his older sister (6 - 1st class) back to school on €150.
    Its laughable.

Daughters school costs are:
    €110 uniform
    €60 books
    €45 school costs (stationary, insurance etc.)
    €22 shoes and runners (bargain I know)

So already thats €237 and the uniform wont last out past 1st class. I dont see why they have to use so many workbooks that cannot be reused but her school copy books are free - I would rather pay for copys and let them write the most of their work in them instead of workbooks. It would be cheaper.

How in the name of god when we have €90 left after bills a week are we meant to kit out both kids in these times.

Its a pity Penneys don't do uniforms.

kizzabel wrote: »
    What I cannot understand is the changes in the BTSA.
    Now I know we are lucky to have it and if not for it we would be in serious debt but last year my son (now 3) qualified for it and this year he did not, even though last year he was at home and this year he is starting playschool.

If I had known I would have kept up last years money but now I'm trying to send him and my his older sister (6 - 1st class) back to school on €150.
    Its laughable.

Daughters school costs are:
    €110 uniform
    €60 books
    €45 school costs (stationary, insurance etc.)
    €22 shoes and runners (bargain I know)

So already thats €237 and the uniform wont last out past 1st class. I dont see why they have to use so many workbooks that cannot be reused but her school copy books are free - I would rather pay for copys and let them write the most of their work in them instead of workbooks. It would be cheaper.

How in the name of god when we have €90 left after bills a week are we meant to kit out both kids in these times.

Its a pity Penneys don't do uniforms.

Aldi do now. You are lucky only paying €45 for stationary etc, we pay €100 and does not include their insurance. €110 is alot on uniform, I would'nt even pay that for two kids, is she changing because she is going into 1st?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

I see parents here complaining about the cost of school workbooks. They can't be reused and that's causing some outrage! Well, as a teacher can I just justify the reason why workbooks are included?

Our class sizes are very large. In most classes there are two years put together, for example, 1st and 2nd in one class. In some schools there could be up to 4 years put together. If you don't have an easy to follow book that children can work on quietly while you teach the curriculum to the other class then mayhem quickly ensues!

Also, parents, how can a child fill out a missing letters task, or a crossword, or a mental maths task without having it printed in front of them? These are not able to go into the copy.

Some suggest that we could photocopy for every child, well, last year we could barely afford to heat the school, let alone pay for reams upon reams of photocopying. The photocopying fee that we request at the start of the year covers the very necessary photocopying, not to replace books.

Younger children are not able to file away and organise loose sheets - and no teacher has time to do that for every child either. It would be a nightmare and there would be no easy to follow visual record of a child's difficulties and strengths.

Up to 3rd class children are not capable of re-writing out sums into their copy, hence the absolute need for a workbook style maths book until then.

Really, for the value that we get from these books, they are worth it. Spelling workbooks and maths books are used twice daily, once in school and once at home, and they cost in the region of €12-14. What's the per usage cost on that?

Also, we are very conscious of the cost of these books, and only put on ones that we use. I think that if we use them then you get the value out of them.

RubyGirl wrote: »
    [/B]

Aldi do now. You are lucky only paying €45 for stationary etc, we pay €100 and does not include their insurance. €110 is alot on uniform, I would'nt even pay that for two kids, is she changing because she is going into 1st?

I have to have a change for every day because she hasn't mastered keeping herself clean (think she actually eats her yoghurt with her fingers) and I don't have a dryer and with our godawful weather I wouldn't be sure of getting all her clothes washed and dried twice a week. She has two PE days and three uniform days so 1 pack of shirts (had one unopened from last year), a skirt, pinafore and trousers, three jumpers, two PE jumpers, two packs of polos, two PE trackie bottoms, socks and knicks. All from Dunnes. I also have to pay €22 on top of that for a crested jumper but thats not an expense I mind as much - she got two years from the last one.

I understand your point Jogathon but as regards school budgets we have no imput in the doling out and spending of these so we can only comment from our own point of view. It is alot of money and, yes, well spent when its educating our children but it is very hard to find this money. I think most people here are trying to find ways to pare down the cost so this was always going to be thrown out there as an idea. Do you see any viable way that the cost of sending kids to school could be reduced?

I have to have a change for every day because she hasn't mastered keeping herself clean (think she actually eats her yoghurt with her fingers) and I don't have a dryer and with our godawful weather I wouldn't be sure of getting all her clothes washed and dried twice a week. She has two PE days and three uniform days so 1 pack of shirts (had one unopened from last year), a skirt, pinafore and trousers, three jumpers, two PE jumpers, two packs of polos, two PE trackie bottoms, socks and knicks. All from Dunnes. I also have to pay €22 on top of that for a crested jumper but thats not an expense I mind as much - she got two years from the last one.

I understand your point Jogathon but as regards school budgets we have no imput in the doling out and spending of these so we can only comment from our own point of view. It is alot of money and, yes, well spent when its educating our children but it is very hard to find this money. I think most people here are trying to find ways to pare down the cost so this was always going to be thrown out there as an idea. Do you see any viable way that the cost of sending kids to school could be reduced?

At the risk of sounding like a smartass, which is not my intention, why not just give a simple sandwich (not chocolate spread) and some chopped fruit? As teachers we hate yogurts, also hate anything in a heated flask due to the higher accident level. They also take too long to eat in the short time they have to eat. Also, much of what you listed as necessary school uniform she would be wearing regardless so the cost would be there anyway?

As regards the cost of sending children to school, I really know that our budget is stretched to the maximum yearly so we cannot afford not to ask for voluntary contributions. And please believe me when I say that no school gets a kick back from book or uniform suppliers! If only raising funds was that easy!

Jogathon wrote: »

At the risk of sounding like a smartass, which is not my intention, why not just give a simple sandwich (not chocolate spread) and some chopped fruit? As teachers we hate yogurts, also hate anything in a heated flask due to the higher accident level. They also take too long to eat in the short time they have to eat. Also, much of what you listed as necessary school uniform she would be wearing regardless so the cost would be there anyway?

As regards the cost of sending children to school, I really know that our budget is stretched to the maximum yearly so we cannot afford not to ask for voluntary contributions. And please believe me when I say that no school gets a kick back from book or uniform suppliers! If only raising funds was that easy!

Tbh kids grow tired of simple sandwiches 250 days a year...

Jogathon wrote: »

Now I could say yeah great idea and in theory it is - she may eat an apple at home when I make her but in school I'm not standing over her and while I do give her fruit daily it is very rarely touched so it and a sandwich will not suffice. I vary her sandwich with pittas, crackers, cracker bread etc and she never never has chocolate spread as I've learned (white shirts / polos ;)) but I think the yoghurt is a must as she doesnt get dinner until 4pm and tbh our supermarket is small and doesnt have a great selection.

But ya see we can all say If only raising funds was that easy! but someone had to be proactive and find a solution to cutting down the parental outlay in regards to school (not saying its going to be me or my ideas because to be fair I'm so frazzled most days I'm lucky to string a sentence together) because if it was between school books and food for the week I know which would win every time and some weeks in our house it is just that difficult.

Also, much of what you listed as necessary school uniform she would be wearing regardless so the cost would be there anyway? Well actually the way it is in our house lately she gets new clothes twice a year (summer and winter) and otherwise its hand me downs. On our income we just can't make everything work and theres always something that needs replacing here and new clothes are less and less of a necessity. And besides she cannot wear her PE clothes as normal wear, just imagine what the kids around would say - the knicks and socks are the only items that can be worn outside of school wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Zoria

I'm finding everything so expensive this year :( That said, the children are getting older and it is to be expected, but it has been, and the rest will be really tight. I've looking around online for tips to save a few quid, and I'm admittedly not a great one for bargain hunting. Whenever I went to a book shop in the past, I was never offered a second hand version or anything. I really think that schools should give up the crested clothes, I have just paid out ridiculous money for my childrens crested tracksuits. And as for the "voluntary contribution", I've no idea what I'll do about that. Despite the fact that it is apparently voluntary, the letters home say other wise :(

Zoria wrote: »
    I'm finding everything so expensive this year :( That said, the children are getting older and it is to be expected, but it has been, and the rest will be really tight. I've looking around online for tips to save a few quid, and I'm admittedly not a great one for bargain hunting. Whenever I went to a book shop in the past, I was never offered a second hand version or anything. I really think that schools should give up the crested clothes, I have just paid out ridiculous money for my childrens crested tracksuits. And as for the "voluntary contribution", I've no idea what I'll do about that. Despite the fact that it is apparently voluntary, the letters home say other wise :(

Crested tracksuits are an joke. Whatever about the jumper there is no need to have them on everything.

• Advertisement

I agree. Crested school jumper, crested school tracksuit top, and everything else can be generic. The two jumpers then would last ages, especially if people handed them down to other children. I never had a new anything going to school - very deprived I was. The curse of the older sister. Books, all clothes etc were handed down to me first, and then given to my younger neighbour.

Advertisement