Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to school costs

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

We have crested tracksuit (bottoms, jumper and t-shirt). And crested pinafore. It's madness.
    I don't buy anything crested. It quadruples the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Zoria

ash23 wrote: »
    We have crested tracksuit (bottoms, jumper and t-shirt). And crested pinafore. It's madness.
    I don't buy anything crested. It quadruples the price.
    Is it optional at your childs school? I'd say I'd get a note home if I sent the children in without the full crested uniform. It's terrible really. So many families are on the bread line and having to pay extortionate money for crested clothing, and thats before you even touch their book lists. I'm in shock with the cost of the books this year too. I received the BTSA allowance, and while I understand it's only designed to help out, it's a far cry from the final bill and I'm struggling to meet it. I don't have any expendable income, so it will be a tough few weeks ahead to make everything on the list. I didn't mean for it to turn into such a rant :eek: I'm just angry at the demands of my childrens school to have crested clothes, and as some body else said here, it's triple the cost of uncrested clothes. It's putting families under unneeded strain. The excess cost of these tracksuits should be going towards the books, footwear, new coats etc. Rant over :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

cynder wrote: »
    The school is introducing ipads for all 1st years if they want it, there was a take up of over 90%.

We already own the ipad so didn't have to go out to buy one. After saying that though i've spent over 1500 on back to school costs for my 3 kids....

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

That has made my eyes water, cynder! My son will be starting secondary school next year - I'm dreading it already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Technically, it's not optional and a note was sent home once upon a time. I wrote a note back in basically saying I totally disagree with cresting of uniforms and as far as I was concerned, her uniform was the correct type and colour. If they insisted on crested items then they should provide iron/sew on crests. I outlines what I had paid for the generic uniform and the cost for the crested uniform.
    I heard no more about it. I also see more and more children in the generic uniforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Meshel

This sept my eldest son is starting junior infants & I'm a little shocked at how much it is costing. I don't qualify for the back to school allowance so it really is a big hit for families, luckily we are both working and i've been able to afford all the required items but I really don't know how a family living from day to day could afford it. I have decided to give an actual breakdown of all my costs.
    School jumper & track suit are both crested so had to buy in a certain shop.
    School jumper €17
    School track suit €40
    Tie €3
    Trousers €10 (m&s)
    2 x white polo shirts €8 (m&s)
    2 x white shirts €11 (m&s)
    School shoes €46
    Runners €30
    Football boots €34 (these were on school list)
    School bag €11 (reduced from €17 in smyths in may)
    School books €34.20
    Holding deposit for his place in school €30
    Arts & crafts €40
    Stationary for year provided by school €75
    Insurance haven't been told the price will be told first week of school but I reckon at least €20.
    Vests socks & underpants are being bought by my mam so not listing as an expense.
    School jacket €30
    Hat & gloves €15
    That is the list of everything I have purchased. This is only junior infants & I have another to start next year so all costs will double for me.
    On the bright side my little fella couldn't be more excited about starting so hopefully it stays that way :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

vamos! wrote: »
    Just want to confirm that there is no racket. No golf trips, free pens, vouchers or the likes from publishers. I try not to change the boos where possible but it is a nightmare to have 2 or sometimes 3 versions of the same book in one class. The fault lies firmly with the publishers.

Good to hear that there is no scamming involved. But it is up to the schools to manage the publishers. The schools hold the power in that relationship, as they make the decision about which publisher's books are chosen. The schools should be treating this as a procurement exercise. They have to get the best value for parents. They should only choose particular books if they meet their requirements - and one of the requirements could be that the same version continues to be available for 3 years or 5 years or whatever.
    Moonbeam wrote: »
    They are an accepted standard and none of the Android tablets can compete with them yet,unfortunately :(

Accepted by who?
    It's the way forward...
    And what about typing speed - don't students need a real keyboard (e.g. laptop or netbook) if they are going to be doing any serious typing.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lily09

Meshel wrote: »
    This sept my eldest son is starting junior infants & I'm a little shocked at how much it is costing. I don't qualify for the back to school allowance so it really is a big hit for families, luckily we are both working and i've been able to afford all the required items but I really don't know how a family living from day to day could afford it. I have decided to give an actual breakdown of all my costs
    School jumper & track suit are both crested so had to buy in a certain shop.
    School jumper €17
    School track suit €40
    Tie €3
    Trousers €10 (m&s)
    2 x white polo shirts €8 (m&s)
    2 x white shirts €11 (m&s)
    School shoes €46
    Runners €30
    Football boots €34 (these were on school list)
    School bag €11 (reduced from €17 in smyths in may)
    School books €34.20
    Holding deposit for his place in school €30
    Arts & crafts €40
    Stationary for year provided by school €75
    Insurance haven't been told the price will be told first week of school but I reckon at least €20.
    Vests socks & underpants are being bought by my mam so not listing as an expense.
    School jacket €30
    Hat & gloves €15
    That is the list of everything I have purchased. This is only junior infants & I have another to start next year so all costs will double for me.
    On the bright side my little fella couldn't be more excited about starting so hopefully it stays that way :-)

As a teacher I am shocked by some of the items on that list. Football boots should not be required, runners are perfectly acceptable.
    I provide the stationary in my class and the cost of this is 10 euro per child this includes (for a senior class) all pen, pencils, twistables, pritt stick etc. There is always a little left over which pays for sweets on our school tour.Cant understand why there is even another arts and crafts charge.
    Also insurance last year in our school cost I think roughly 6 euro per child.
    I usually dont get involved with back to school cost debates but this is shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

The single best way to cut down on primary costs is to ignore any request for money from the school.

A primary school is NOT PERMITTED to require a parent to pay such a charge.

They will ask you for it but they CANNOT Require you to pay it .

If the school persists then report it to the DES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭titchy

Im going to go against the grain here and probably be shot down for it, but here goes....

Its not a surprise that kids start school every aug/Sept and its no surprise its costs money.

Would it even be manageable to put 2euros or 2.50euro a week in a jar for next 12 months? it would go some way towards costs, and while I fully comprehend people are struggling that 2 or 3 euro is what? A packet of biscuits or an expensive chocolate bar.

I remember parents being outraged at the cost when my child started secondary school(it cost me the best part of 1000)
    BUT I knew it was coming. I knew for 13 years, no one sprung it on me.

I dont mean to be controversial and believe me I know what its like to be down to the wire, but even that 2euro a week would ease some of the burdon, for a primary school child at least.

jacko1 wrote: »
    The single best way to cut down on primary costs is to ignore any request for money from the school.

A primary school is NOT PERMITTED to require a parent to pay such a charge.

They will ask you for it but they CANNOT Require you to pay it .

If the school persists then report it to the DES

I know where you're coming from, but I have to disagree. The best way is to go talk to the school. Talk to the parents association, talk to the principal, talk to the parents reps on the Board of Management. Nothing will change until parents start communicating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Parents need to get more active on the parents associations and lobby to get rid of crested uniforms or at least have a plain uniform with the crest available to buy at a small fee. (Obviously some already are - but not enough)

I teach in a disadvantaged school with very lax uniform policies, but we have a crested jumper. Teachers have tried to get the BoM to sell the crest separately but they will not hear of it. We have found it hard to get parent support. The parents association was only set up a couple of years ago (due to lack of interest) and they now want to bring in more expensive uniform requirements. They are not representative of the parent body as a whole, but they are the ones that are bothered to get involved. A strong parents association should be able to oppose any silly costs.

Some of the costs listed here are way over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

What's the purpose of a crested uniform anyway. My guy is only in 1st so I might be missing something. They go on a school tour but are allowed to wear casual clothes.

Secondary school maybe, as students are out and about more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

vamos! wrote: »
    Just want to confirm that there is no racket. No golf trips, free pens, vouchers or the likes from publishers. I try not to change the boos where possible but it is a nightmare to have 2 or sometimes 3 versions of the same book in one class. The fault lies firmly with the publishers.

Good to hear that there is no scamming involved. But it is up to the schools to manage the publishers. The schools hold the power in that relationship, as they make the decision about which publisher's books are chosen. The schools should be treating this as a procurement exercise. They have to get the best value for parents. They should only choose particular books if they meet their requirements - and one of the requirements could be that the same version continues to be available for 3 years or 5 years or whatever.
    Moonbeam wrote: »
    They are an accepted standard and none of the Android tablets can compete with them yet,unfortunately :(

Accepted by who?
    It's the way forward...
    And what about typing speed - don't students need a real keyboard (e.g. laptop or netbook) if they are going to be doing any serious typing.

Oh they won't be using the iPad for typing and will have it lessons, I bought my daughter a laptop last xmas in expectation of doing homework/ assignments on it.

The school opted for the iPad instead of a laptop.

What I meant was technology was the way forward. All kids will have access to school computers during an alloted time and at lunch. The iPad will be for research and ebooks only no typing..

Oh they won't be using the iPad for typing and will have it lessons, I bought my daughter a laptop last xmas in expectation of doing homework/ assignments on it.

What I meant was technology was the way forward. All kids will have access to school computers during an alloted time and at lunch. The iPad will be for research and ebooks only no typing..

But that's my point exactly. Why buy an iPad AND a laptop, when you achieve the same purpose (just without a fancy touchscreen interface) with a laptop only. Why not do research and ebooks on a laptop, and use the same device for typing assignments?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

But that's my point exactly. Why buy an iPad AND a laptop, when you achieve the same purpose (just without a fancy touchscreen interface) with a laptop only. Why not do research and ebooks on a laptop, and use the same device for typing assignments?

Ipads are easier to carry around and conceal. They are touch screen, interactive. Not everyone can afford 800 for a good laptop. Also the kids have access to school computers.

Ipads are easier to carry around and conceal. [...] Not everyone can afford 800 for a good laptop. Also the kids have access to school computers.
    The average netbook is about 1.2-1.4 kg. An iPad is about 0.6 kg. So a netbook is indeed heavier, but is that 1/2 kg really significant. Is it really that much easier to slip an iPad into a schoolbag than a netbook?

I'm not sure where you've been buying your laptops recently, but €800 is an off-the-wall price. You'll get a damn good netbook or laptop for €350, less than the cost of an iPad.

And as for the school computers, isn't this usually one room, shared between all classes? So the students will have access to them for one or two classes a week, but they won't have anything like full-time access.
    They are touch screen, interactive.
    This is the real difference. An iPad or other tablet is touch-screen. A netbook or laptop isn't. What value does this add? Does it make up for the absence of a keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

When I started first year (5 years ago), my uniform costs were around €300 if not more. Despite us having a good few of my books already and getting the rest second hand, the bill was quite large (had to do all subjects). Then we had to pay for art supplies, home ec sewing kits, aprons, specific hair bands. On top of that we had a 'voluntary' subscription which is €100. Luckily I'm going into 6th year so I don't have another book list but exam papers and more copies add up to quite an amount with the subscription. Also we have to have the latest books. I have the older edition of one of my books but I just say I'm not buying another one. They can hound me all they want, I'm not buying a brand new book that we never use!
    These back to school costs are actually a disgrace. In primary school we had a generic uniform with a rental scheme which came to around €60 for sixth class books. I mean to pay around €60 for a jumper that is of the worst quality and that frays in the first month is just awful. Our shirts can only be bought in 2 local shops and they cost about €25 each and that is apparently cheaper than it was before. Luckily my parents have good jobs but with 3 to support in college and 1 for next year they are finding it hard. I pay for cinema trips, stationery, folders, events myself to help but I really don't know how some parents do it.

When I started first year (5 years ago), my uniform costs were around €300 if not more. Despite us having a good few of my books already and getting the rest second hand, the bill was quite large (had to do all subjects). Then we had to pay for art supplies, home ec sewing kits, aprons, specific hair bands. On top of that we had a 'voluntary' subscription which is €100. Luckily I'm going into 6th year so I don't have another book list but exam papers and more copies add up to quite an amount with the subscription. Also we have to have the latest books. I have the older edition of one of my books but I just say I'm not buying another one. They can hound me all they want, I'm not buying a brand new book that we never use!
    These back to school costs are actually a disgrace. In primary school we had a generic uniform with a rental scheme which came to around €60 for sixth class books. I mean to pay around €60 for a jumper that is of the worst quality and that frays in the first month is just awful. Our shirts can only be bought in 2 local shops and they cost about €25 each and that is apparently cheaper than it was before. Luckily my parents have good jobs but with 3 to support in college and 1 for next year they are finding it hard. I pay for cinema trips, stationery, folders, events myself to help but I really don't know how some parents do it.
    That is an incredibly mature post :) Well done to you for buying what you can yourself, I'm sure your parents are glad of it. They should be very proud of you :) My children are still in primary, so I must admit your secondary school bills scare the life out of me :eek: I'm going to have to do a lot of saving I think!

Zoria wrote: »
    That is an incredibly mature post :) Well done to you for buying what you can yourself, I'm sure your parents are glad of it. They should be very proud of you :) My children are still in primary, so I must admit your secondary school bills scare the life out of me :eek: I'm going to have to do a lot of saving I think!
    My school is a voluntary school (or something along the lines of it) which is why our subscription is so high. I think it's less in other schools. As well as that our uniform is not black/navy so we have special socks, shoes, tights etc. There are good second hand book stores about the place and a lot of the time the books are as new.

My school is a voluntary school (or something along the lines of it) which is why our subscription is so high. I think it's less in other schools. As well as that our uniform is not black/navy so we have special socks, shoes, tights etc. There are good second hand book stores about the place and a lot of the time the books are as new.
    I can say without a doubt if I was your age my mother would have traded me for you in a heart beat :D I threw a hooley if my books weren't bought new, I was a little bitch to be honest. As a parent now myself I'm ashamed of how I carried on, I had no desire to understand the financial pressure my parents were under. Now, while all of my childrens books have been bought new, I think I left it too late to get second hand stuff and hung around for my BTSA payment. Savvier parents were buying as soon as they got their book lists, we live and learn etc. I was working at your age too, and while I gave my mother some weekly rent I didn't offer anything towards school costs. Fair enough, it was only summer and mid term breaks I was working, but I kept the majority for myself. I wish they said something to me, it would have taught me the value of money. I was a spoiled brat :o

• Advertisement

Zoria wrote: »
    I can say without a doubt if I was your age my mother would have traded me for you in a heart beat :D I threw a hooley if my books weren't bought new, I was a little bitch to be honest. As a parent now myself I'm ashamed of how I carried on, I had no desire to understand the financial pressure my parents were under. Now, while all of my childrens books have been bought new, I think I left it too late to get second hand stuff and hung around for my BTSA payment. Savvier parents were buying as soon as they got their book lists, we live and learn etc. I was working at your age too, and while I gave my mother some weekly rent I didn't offer anything towards school costs. Fair enough, it was only summer and mid term breaks I was working, but I kept the majority for myself. I wish they said something to me, it would have taught me the value of money. I was a spoiled brat :o
    Thanks :P also most students have second hand books and worn uniforms so don't worry about them standing out! Very few get all new books and a new uniform every year. And for first years - it usually gets yorn within the first few months so don't worry if it's a second hand uniform.

Advertisement