Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to basics - ditching the smartphone.

Options
  • 15-06-2012 2:17pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I'm strongly considering getting rid of my smartphone. I've had it for about a year now - HTC Wildfire S. I don't really like the experience of it - checking or texting/the physical side of it. Apart from a running app, news, etc I don't really do much (am not on facebook). It's not for me.

Anyway, looking to replace it with something pretty basic - calls/texts/bluetooth and something will work in the US/Canada. Not hugely bothered about a camera or FM radio. No internetz necessary. So, I'd probably happy enough with some sort of bog standard Nokia. Any recommendations? Currently on Vodafone PAYG, but might explore other providers. Are own brand phones by the networks a bit rubbish or are they OK?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭maggienx

I'm strongly considering getting rid of my smartphone. I've had it for about a year now - HTC Wildfire S. I don't really like the experience of it - checking or texting/the physical side of it. Apart from a running app, news, etc I don't really do much (am not on facebook). It's not for me.

Anyway, looking to replace it with something pretty basic - calls/texts/bluetooth and something will work in the US/Canada. Not hugely bothered about a camera or FM radio. No internetz necessary. So, I'd probably happy enough with some sort of bog standard Nokia. Any recommendations? Currently on Vodafone PAYG, but might explore other providers. Are own brand phones by the networks a bit rubbish or are they OK?

It might be worth your while having a look at amazon.co.uk as they sell a range of sim free phones which would work here. I bought a big button phone for a relative some months ago and it works fine. But they have quite a selection available, including Nokia , so you might see something there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks for that. I hadn't thought about amazon.

I wonder if something like a Nokia 100 or C1-102 would work in the US and Canada. I'll probably bring another sim based on the advice here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Nokia 100 is too basic it seems.

How about something like a C2-01? It can also be got on amazon.

Also wondering about something like the 6300, but I don't know much about the 6XXX series of phones. A family member has this model.

I still kinda want something that doesn't have internet capability, but it seems hard to get that without going too basic.

Advertisement