Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPIN SOUTH WEST - worst radio in Ireland ??

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I was wondering how long it would be before "Hi I'm Rory here's the story" hit the South West. Is the news now networked with 1038?

Spin was off the air in Kerry for most of today so I didn't get much of a chance to listen

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Willowk

What bothers me most about the negative comments regarding Spin SW is the apparent lack of awareness that - you may not like the station - but thousands of others do. Look at their JNLRs.

As for Nessa Harney - she may not be your cup of tea - but, if her PPI Award nomination from last year is anything to go by, EXPERTS in the industry believe she has lots of potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Willowk wrote: »
    What bothers me most about the negative comments regarding Spin SW is the apparent lack of awareness that - you may not like the station - but thousands of others do. Look at their JNLRs.

As for Nessa Harney - she may not be your cup of tea - but, if her PPI Award nomination from last year is anything to go by, EXPERTS in the industry believe she has lots of potential.

^^^ Hey Nessa! 1 post and you joined yesterday, how handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Willowk

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Willowk wrote: »

^^^ Hey Nessa! 1 post and you joined yesterday, how handy!

:) That's an understandable assumption, but you're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ryan2me

Funny thing is even though Nessa irritated me I love her show, i think i listen to give out about her.. it's like a love hate relationship lol.
    I think she has great potential but her chitchat lacks substanec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Conor556

I always listen to spin SW or beat 102-103, nothing better in the middle of summer savage hot day and all the fella's texting in saying well spin flatout at silage in the big M and say well to all the other silage boys hard at work! And then its nothing but texts coming in about silage for the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

The station itself has lots of potential if they did the right things with it.

I was actually on my way back to Dublin a couple of weekends ago, and they've roped in a few new weekend DJ's who have a lot of potential also!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Ryan2me wrote: »
    Has anybody actually tuned into SPIN South West lately?

I must say the station has actually gone dire over the last 6 months.

Although the station is independently managed from it's sister station SPIN 1038 in Dublin they have pretty much copied everything, show names, voice over artists , some shows are networked ( hit 30 na h-eireann, club educate with John Gibbons) and in the past week they have the news networked down from Dublin station, which is absolutely ridiculous as it's Dublin people reading out Dublin news for the South West. Nobody wants to know about what happened in Blanch!

Also the new jingles they have in the last 2 weeks, sound like a child made them on a casio keyboard.

Some of the on air "Talent", wouldn't even be qualified to listen to a radio.
    There is Bridget who spent an hour of a show thinking her microphone was on high but it was at, I'd say 10% volume.
    Don't even get me started about Nessa Harney or self proclaimed Horny Harney. That woman, supposed to be doing a "most music " request show (TRL) spends more than adequate time bullsh**ting about how she shaved her armpits that day and they were really smooth. Also referenced a text to "say hi to the lads" asked them to text back in and if "they were wearing much clothes".

Finally anybody who has managed to actually listen to a full show on SPIN south west will know that it's like if SPIN has the latest NOW! That's what I call music in their computer and just randomly play songs off that, repeating them all after about 2 hours.
    I think it's a sorry excuse for a radio station and would be better if they just went off air.

Opinions???

The same crap music every hour-sometimes more than once in the space of an hour,the same ****ty songs over and over again continuously,the annoying djs,who try to be cool and clever with "the story","the inside story" and "the five word weather forecast".....it really is a station just for teenagers,and tis the most irritating,ridiculous station around.Tis often on at work and it drives me and others nuts-until one of us changes it if we get a chance-and then Sunday comes and the part-timers change it back again!!

"Here's Spin's 5 word weather forecast.....
    Oh my god,it's freezing.

Or...

Bring brolly just in case.

Or.....

Fluffy clouds in the sky."

Eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Its sh!te, id rather listen to George Hook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Almost as bad as Northern Sound up here in Cavan, then.
    A few presenters when think they are Joe Duffy.(lord help us ) and who have a serious fixation with the tripe which passes as Country music in this country.
    Lots of "dead air" time, and the unique system of keeping music playing in the background while adverts are read out, with the music volume swelling up between sentences. Although they do, in fairness, read out the local death notices 3 or 4 times a day. Only good thing, the evening programming as a syndicated music pre-recording, and can be great while Newstalk have their 150 minutes of sports reporting.

• Advertisement

Does anybody remember Atlantic 252 on long-wave?
    When it came to playing the same songs repeatedly that was nearly as bad as Spin.But I'd say Spin is a lot worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭jimmy2flutes

How old are you Seasan?

How old are you Seasan?

And you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭jimmy2flutes

Well my age isn't relevant as I'm not a spin listener, and I'm certainly not in their target demo, and frankly neither are you!

Do you think you can relate to some mid teen boy or girl? I would seriously doubt. You and I may not like what spin do but in its market it holds it's numbers and plays the hits.

2 final points. They 'spin' the news for their audience. They only have news for their 20% news and current affairs requirement by the bai. So I forgive them if they don't want to give me the wind speeds, pollen count and a detailed weather.

People don't go to spin for news and weather. They go for the music which brings me to my last point. You think you hear songs twice an hour but in reality you don't. Most A list songs will be played every 2 hours. IIRC, Atlantic rotated their songs every 90 mins.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Spin's music and current affairs works well with their demographic. Death notices and business wouldn't really fit in on Spin.

The main problem with their playlist is not playlisting enough up to date music, and relying on a limited range of old songs to fill up the time when they don't play new songs, e.g. 212, My My My (Armand van Helden) (can't think of any more at the moment)

If they took some playlisting advice from 103.8 they could form a better playlist, at the moment songs such as The Wire, Changing of the Seasons, Lose Yourself to Dance etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭chargerman

Spin SW is utter crap, which is a pity.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

marno21 wrote: »
    Spin's music and current affairs works well with their demographic. Death notices and business wouldn't really fit in on Spin.

Yeah I agree. Death notices would definately not fit their audience. Not that anyone listens to them, usually causes me to turn off the radio.

As a station what they play is not really my cup of tea, the music is crap but for others it wouldn't be I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Seasan wrote: »
    The same crap music every hour-sometimes more than once in the space of an hour,the same ****ty songs over and over again continuously,the annoying djs,who try to be cool and clever with "the story","the inside story" and "the five word weather forecast".....it really is a station just for teenagers,and tis the most irritating,ridiculous station around.Tis often on at work and it drives me and others nuts-until one of us changes it if we get a chance-and then Sunday comes and the part-timers change it back again!!

Oh my god,it's freezing.

Or...

Or.....

Eejits.

It is, and you realise this, so why does it upset you? I don't like it myself, but I know it's a niche for 15 year old girls rather than general audience listening

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

Oh my god,it's freezing.

Or...

Or.....

Eejits.
    MadYaker wrote: »
    Its sh!te, id rather listen to George Hook.
    Almost as bad as Northern Sound up here in Cavan, then.
    A few presenters when think they are Joe Duffy.(lord help us ) and who have a serious fixation with the tripe which passes as Country music in this country.
    Lots of "dead air" time, and the unique system of keeping music playing in the background while adverts are read out, with the music volume swelling up between sentences. Although they do, in fairness, read out the local death notices 3 or 4 times a day. Only good thing, the evening programming as a syndicated music pre-recording, and can be great while Newstalk have their 150 minutes of sports reporting.
    Does anybody remember Atlantic 252 on long-wave?
    When it came to playing the same songs repeatedly that was nearly as bad as Spin.But I'd say Spin is a lot worse.
    chargerman wrote: »
    Spin SW is utter crap, which is a pity.
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Yeah I agree. Death notices would definately not fit their audience. Not that anyone listens to them, usually causes me to turn off the radio.

As a station what they play is not really my cup of tea, the music is crap but for others it wouldn't be I guess.

Yis are all some shower of fkn whingers & moaners. If ye don't like the station, just try pressing a few buttons, or turning that little round thing in the corner, I think it's called a tuning knob, to change channels. There are a huge amount of people who love this station. By the way, I'm not a 15 year old teenager with puberty problems. I'm a 54 year old school bus driver with 2 dodgy hips, and my favorite station is SPIN SW, which is also the station that all the kids on the bus want to listen to, from 4 up to 18. Yis can shove yere Joe Duffy's & Marion Finucane's, I'm sticking with Spin SW. End of rant. Now if I could only remember where I left them fkn walking sticks.

maudgone wrote: »
    Yis are all some shower of fkn whingers & moaners. If ye don't like the station, just try pressing a few buttons, or turning that little round thing in the corner, I think it's called a tuning knob, to change channels. There are a huge amount of people who love this station. By the way, I'm not a 15 year old teenager with puberty problems. I'm a A54 year old school bus driver with 2 dodgy hips, and my favorite station is SPIN SW, which is also the station that all the kids on the bus want to listen to, from 4 up to 18. Yis can shove yere Joe Duffy's & Marion Finucane's, I'm sticking with Spin SW. End of rant. Now if I could only remember where I left them fkn walking sticks.

As I said,tis on where I work,and once it is we cant change it over.

Are you just being a smart-arsed troll,by any chance?

• Advertisement
Advertisement