Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever saved your own life?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

csi vegas wrote: »
    You remind me of myself OP although I'm cautious to the point of OCD checking everything before I sleep or go out.
    You write with such humour - very funny tale. Just be careful out there!

realies wrote: »
    Lot a flirting going on here.
    Well done OP you seem a great gal.

^^^^^^^^^^
    Posted right after my post. Do you refer to me? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Once while diving in about 15 metres of water, I managed to get lost and ended up in about 50 metres instead. I noticed it getting darker, which prompted me to surface to see why and I couldn't believe how far it was. Clearly I should have made a safety stop or two to allow the nitrogen in my blood to disperse, but as I wasn't aware of how deep I was, - I didn't.
    This is one of the easiest ways to fcuk yourself up properly while diving, but there are plenty of others.
    When I surfaced, it was blowing a gale, in the opposite direction to where the boat was, and my BCD (flotation/submersion device) was leaking air quickly. It's filled from the same tank you breathe from, so I was running out of air and facing a long surface swim back to the boat. I was very tired, and the gear was sinking me without the BCD working correctly, and I started to panic.
    I remember thinking: "you can ditch the gear if you have to, - you've trained for this, but if you panic now you're definitely dead." So I forced myself to calm, used my snorkel to breathe, flipped over on my back (the water takes the gear weight) and slowly paddled back to the boat, ready to ditch the gear if I couldn't go on at any point.

I got the mildest ever case of 'the bends' from the lack of a stop on the way up, just pain in all my joints really, and I have a far healthier respect for the sport since then. Never again will I dive without a depth gauge, - as stupid as it sounds, it's very common, - and never again will I dive with the useless fcuker of a buddy I had with me that day.
    The biggest thing I took from it though was that in a potentially bad situation, that panic will kill you quicker than anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

johnr1 wrote: »
    Once while diving in about 15 metres of water, I managed to get lost and ended up in about 50 metres instead. I noticed it getting darker, which prompted me to surface to see why and I couldn't believe how far it was. Clearly I should have made a safety stop or two to allow the nitrogen in my blood to disperse, but as I wasn't aware of how deep I was, - I didn't.
    This is one of the easiest ways to fcuk yourself up properly while diving, but there are plenty of others.
    When I surfaced, it was blowing a gale, in the opposite direction to where the boat was, and my BCD (flotation/submersion device) was leaking air quickly. It's filled from the same tank you breathe from, so I was running out of air and facing a long surface swim back to the boat. I was very tired, and the gear was sinking me without the BCD working correctly, and I started to panic.
    I remember thinking: "you can ditch the gear if you have to, - you've trained for this, but if you panic now you're definitely dead." So I forced myself to calm, used my snorkel to breathe, flipped over on my back (the water takes the gear weight) and slowly paddled back to the boat, ready to ditch the gear if I couldn't go on at any point.

I got the mildest ever case of 'the bends' from the lack of a stop on the way up, just pain in all my joints really, and I have a far healthier respect for the sport since then. Never again will I dive without a depth gauge, - as stupid as it sounds, it's very common, - and never again will I dive with the useless fcuker of a buddy I had with me that day.
    The biggest thing I took from it though was that in a potentially bad situation, that panic will kill you quicker than anything.

Cool story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Doctors saved my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Pulling out of a parachute malfunction with less than 1,000 feet to go. Some buzz that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

Fizzlesque wrote: »

I had another 'could have died' experience, but I'll save that for another post

What's the other experience? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

I saw a kid crossing street, he was between two parked vans, He could not see this on coming truck, so he started to step out quicky almost running,
    Now i could see this, what was about to happen, I may have been parked few meters down street but i pressed on my horn, at which point kid stopped in his tracks and truck zoomed by his toes,
    SO i guess i saved his life,
    Not that he'll ever know lol

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

grindle wrote: »
    Seems like one of the snarky, unfunny comments, but I genuinely think I'd have died by suicide if I'd never tried ecstasy.
    Reminded me what 'happy' felt like, and pulled me out of a (figurative) swamp of shít.

Actually, yours is one of the few not snarky, unfunny comments, grindle, and one I can completely relate to. I had a similar reminder of what happy feels like. :)
    syndeyfife wrote: »
    Ive saved someone elses life before....feel pretty good about that one! :D

One of my finest moments....

Now this is the kind of thing I was looking for. Care to elaborate, Syndey, I'd love to hear more.

johnr1 wrote: »

Great story, John, thanks for posting it. I can relate to the need not to panic, it's great to discover how calm you're capable of being when the need to be calm is of utmost importance.

• Advertisement

csi vegas wrote: »
    You remind me of myself OP although I'm cautious to the point of OCD checking everything before I sleep or go out.
    You write with such humour - very funny tale. Just be careful out there!

Thanks, csi....looks like the generous of spirit posters arrived when I'd logged off and gone out for the evening yesterday. Don't worry, I'm actually quite careful really, this happened 12 years ago, and I learned my lesson. I may make mistakes, but I do learn from them :D
    What's the other experience? :)

Martha, my dear, thank you for asking, but to be honest, the pedantry ("you didn't save your own life") and tiresome boring old dad jokes ("I save my life every day by breathing") and the unnecessarily nasty 'got nothing better to say' bitchy responses ("you're an idiot"/ those who thank the poster who said "you're an idiot") replies have temporarily put me off sharing such tales on this board.

It's a shame the warm hearted posters such as yourself only arrived after I'd logged off and headed out for the evening, the balance is better now on this thread, I was a bit swamped by the conversation-killers yesterday.

One thing though, the other 'nearly died' story wasn't one the pedants could have shredded with their "you didn't save your own life" nit-picking, but they'd probably find some other way to turn a potential conversation with others into a sour dead end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

argosy2006 wrote: »
    I saw a kid crossing street, he was between two parked vans, He could not see this on coming truck, so he started to step out quicky almost running,
    Now i could see this, what was about to happen, I may have been parked few meters down street but i pressed on my horn, at which point kid stopped in his tracks and truck zoomed by his toes,
    SO i guess i saved his life,
    Not that he'll ever know lol

I would have succeeded doing that once, had I not spent too much time in the phone-box adjusting my spandex costume and combing my hair so that I would look good for the newspapers.

Still, you can't win em all.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

That's enough for a Darwin Award nomination right there.

Advertisement