Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

18 year Old Novice seeking Insurance Advice

• 15-06-2012 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Heya Lads I am just going 18 years of age and I am looking to start biking... I am on for investing in something like a a Honda NSR 125cc possibly and was just wondering would anyone know how much the insurance would be in and around for a in experienced lad on a learners permit??? Which 125cc bike be the best to buy between 500e and 750?? and any other advice,hints,tips or ideas for a Young lad staring out.. Cheers.. smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

over €1500 for anything like an nsr at your age. 125 or 250 cruisers or something like a varadero is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

an nsr 125 would cost quite a lot for someone your age. unfortunately most sports bike would. i dont know about costs on others but your best bet would be to ring up liberty and just get quotes. my first bike was a honda cg125, slow as hell and not the best looking bike but reliable and great starter bike. at your age and budget you wont have a huge choice, maybe look at some cruisers or commuter bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Nate084

to be honest lads i wouldnt give a damn about power or too much on the looks.. level headed lad not one of them eegits riding a 125 etc like its a R1.. just want to get up and running and learning on a budget.. be out of savings and few bob bday money for the 18th.. just somethin to learn my trade and get me from A to B at same time.. il get ringing soon enough dou and il try liberty.. Cheers lads!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Nate084 wrote: »
    to be honest lads i wouldnt give a damn about power or too much on the looks.. level headed lad not one of them eegits riding a 125 etc like its a R1.. just want to get up and running and learning on a budget.. be out of savings and few bob bday money for the 18th.. just somethin to learn my trade and get me from A to B at same time.. il get ringing soon enough dou and il try liberty.. Cheers lads!:)
    Hi Nate
    Don't forget to factor in costs for some gear and the ibt. the insurance may well be a lot cheaper if you get your ibt done with an assessment included on the price. you may have around 750 to spend on a bike but with everything else on top you might be getting close to 2k.
    Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Personally OP if I were you, I'd apply for my A test asap. Come next January 19th it will be alot harder to get your licence with new categories, a new test syllabus, examiners on bikes etc...

I passed first time with only a months training and I used the instructors bike. At this point in time the motorbike test is a pi*ce of pi*s so go for it if you have the financial means.

Once you have the licence everything else will be a doddle plus at your age it will really make the difference to the insurers.

I attached a link which shows the changes, read from page 7.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Consultations/Consultation%20Changes%20to%20DL%20System.pdf

And good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Varadero 125cc is a great bike, and alot of bike for the money too. You age will be a factor but dont let that put you off. Maybe even a 250cc cruiser is the way to go....;)

Advertisement