Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympic Men's 3rd Place Play Off - Worth going?

• 15-06-2012 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'll be over in Cardiff in early August and I just saw that the 3rd Place Play Off in the Olympic Men's Football is on one of the nights I'm there. A quick search seems to suggest that there are still tickets available ( Prices are £30, £45 and £70 ).

I don't know a lot about what sort of teams / players are playing, but would this be worth going to see? Maybe even from a 'I was at the Olympics' point of view?

J.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

With a bronze medal up for grabs the game will be competitive enough. You might get to see one of Brazil/Spain/Uruguay play who will be sending some stars like Neymar Pato Suarez Cavani Thiago ect so I'd say definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Definitely OP.

Any live football match is worth going to imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Each team can have 3 players over 23 so usually they pick experienced old pros to add backbone so well worth going.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2012_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Should be a good standard and cheap enough if you can get the £30 tickets, well worth it IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Thanks everyone! Sounds like it could be well worth it then! Does anyone know what the 'Pricing Sections' are in the Millenium Stadium? They're just called Sections A, B & C on the ticket website, with no description of where they are...

J.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Why is this on in Cardiff out of interest?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Third place play off, under twenty threes, London Olympics in Cardiff... talk about a Mickey Mouse match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Third place play off, under twenty threes, London Olympics in Cardiff... talk about a Mickey Mouse match

Maybe so but there's a chance he could see someone like Neymar or an experienced player over the age of 23. For £30 it's worth it. It's only for two hours and he's there already. Nothing to lose.

Looking at the most recent 3rd place play offs in 2008 between Brazil v Belgium, I wouldn't exactly dismiss it as Micky Mouse match when you consider the under 23 players that were on show in Beijing that later progressed to some decent clubs.

2008 Brazil Bronze Medal Winners
    Diego Alves(Valencia)
    Rafinha(Bayern Munich)
    Thiago Silva(AC Milan)
    Marcelo(Real Madrid)
    Hernanes(Lazio)
    Anderson(Man Utd)
    Lucas(Liverpool)
    Alexandre Pato(AC Milan)
    Ramires(Chelsea)
    Breno(Bayern Munich)
    Diego(Atlético Madrid)

Brazil only brought one over age player, Ronaldinho.

Belgium
    Vincent Kompany(Man City)
    Thomas Vermaelen(Arsenal)
    Marouane Fellaini(Everton)
    Jan Vertonghen(Ajax)
    Moussa Dembélé(Fulham)

flyswatter wrote: »
    Why is this on in Cardiff out of interest?

The Olympic soccer tournament is never just confined to the Olympic City these days, Cardiff was most likely selected to show that London 2012 wasn't just an English sports event.

• Advertisement
Advertisement