Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculating Honours Degrees etc

Options
  • 15-06-2012 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Does an honours degree require an average grade of over 70% or for each exam result to be over 70%?

Take for example the following grades 91, 83, 76, 75, 73, 57.
    Will the 57 screw my chances of getting an honours degree?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

no, it doesn't
    You're confusing the level of qualification with the grades achieved in it.

If you graduate from an honours degree course, you have an honours degree. If you average over 70% you have achieved a first class honours result in an honours degree. If you average 41% you have achieved a pass result in an honours degree. You still have an honours degree, and its still a higher qualification than someone who achieves 100% in an ordinary degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭who what when

Sorry youre right, what I meant was for a first class honours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Nope, its an overall average.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 fordey101

Another question about the honours degree... Is my GPA from my ordinary degree (3rd year) added to my GPA for fourth year and averaged to get my final mark?? That sounds very complicated actually :confused: What I mean is, will my mark from third year be taken into account when I get my honours degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

fordey101 wrote: »
    Another question about the honours degree... Is my GPA from my ordinary degree (3rd year) added to my GPA for fourth year and averaged to get my final mark?? That sounds very complicated actually :confused: What I mean is, will my mark from third year be taken into account when I get my honours degree?

Depends on the course and the college. In UCD Hons science degrees are based on the final year while Hons arts degrees are a combination of second and third year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement