Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Boards.ie a true representative of the Irish society in 2012

• 15-06-2012 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

What are your opinions folks,does boards represent modern day Ireland or is it a small minority of the people who make up the Irish society posting on here.
    Do you get a positive message from the posters or what are your opinions of many of the threads,does it fit into an Ireland that you believe in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Sappa wrote: »
    Do you get a positive message from the posters
    Heh. No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

No.

And thank fuck for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

It's a true representation of Irish society as imagined by a Daily Mail hack sitting in a bar with the Six One News on in the background with the sound off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Well the posters can have debates and serious discussions but can also take the piss, so yes.

EDIT: Also like to sit around and moan about things, without actually doing anything about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

If it is, well, may god have mercy on us all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I live in the hope that boards doesn't represent Irish society but I have a sneaking suspicion that it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

No. Sadly, Irish society is probably worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I don't think so,But it does give an insight into a lot of peoples opinions and which way the wind is blowing in certain situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Jaafa wrote: »
    If it is it, well, may god have mercy on us all.

It Boards were a true representation, there'd be none of that god stuff anywhere in Ireland, nor any of the paraphernalia that went with it.

The recent EU referendum would have been rejected as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

of course it doesnt, 84% of irish society are catholics, whereas 84% of posters on boards are atheists... :p

can that be the new godwin? :D

erm, no-godwin then? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I am always surprised by the number of really conservative, serious people, even in After Hours.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Not really, Boardsie is heavily self selected towards sub 35 year old technically minded men. Less so than it used to be, but it's not nearly ubiqutous enough to be representative.

Just look at the demographics in the census data, or compare the boardsie general election poll to the actual result to see how unrepresentative Boardsie is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Jesus I hope not :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As a more general trend, you are far more likely to see more extremist views on a public forum.

People with more typical moderate views are less likely to engage in public discussions because, well, they just don't really care enough to bother.

The end result is that the demographic is largely over-represented by the extremists, obsessives, opinionated and downright batshit crazy.

This isn't a boards.ie thing, it's basically the same anywhere that people are allowed to air their views - Ard Fheises, debating societies, committees, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Good God no, have you seen what most of boards user's look like computer_geek.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I am always surprised by the number of really conservative, serious people, even in After Hours.

Okay, which Boardsie are you talking about?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

imo, boards.ie is a demographic. Peoples general views on here do not represent the entire Irish society.

You can get alot of 'poncy' views on here. Opinions that would get you laughed at if said in the real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Not at all. If you what to look at modern society look at the TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Definately not. Boards is the people who couldnt cut in real life and so sit in front of a computer pretending they have an opinion that counts.
    Just look at the poll for the treaty. A majority no here and a majority opposite result in the real world.

(pssssst......im only joking)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

No, it's even worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No. It's a representation of socially inept Irish people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

Not a chance, not all of our Irish society (thankfully) needs to fit in a box defined by Irish media :)

But it is interesting to see who those are though (how that keeps me sane, big time), the amount of people belief, they should slut their lives to appear on TV, Just reconise the fact you aren't famous and stop trying so hard. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I think a lot of people here do not express their views in public, what with having to pick their teeth up off the floor and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

No, not even close. Thankfully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

cruiser178 wrote: »
    Good God no, have you seen what most of boards user's look like computer_geek.jpg

I don't look like that :mad:

OP I have been given positive advice on boards. Just not in AH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

All the girls are good looking though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

I don't look like that :mad:

Appoligies, like this then nerd-panda_design-1.jpg:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

id say it close enough there are people here that agree with me and others who are wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

Appoligies, like this then nerd-panda_design-1.jpg:)

Awww happy days I love that panda (and how we where pointing out guys being fake about emotions, and girls can be a little better at it) Sure isn't it all fine, most people need to grow up and stop hurting, and testing the people they love, Maybe realise you love someone : D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

No.

It's a representation of what a certain demographic will say or argue for when they have anonymity.

I don't want to tar everyone with the same brush, I'm sure there's plenty of people that would argue the same in their everyday lives to what they post on here but I have a feeling a lot wouldn't do it so zealously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    Okay, which Boardsie are you talking about?:confused:

This guy for one

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=545589

Thread sample

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056672768

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Hopefully not. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

No, there are less females for one thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

Not really. More extreme points of view.

It does represent the internets demographic well though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Some people don't care or don't have strong opinions.

Internet forums by their very nature are for people with opinions.
    If you have nothing to add then there would be no point in even registering

So the lunatics and radicals of society are here! :)

Advertisement