Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WLR Comp winners

Options
  • 15-06-2012 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Why, oh why do the "DJs" on WLR insist on announcing the full address of any competition winners?, down to the house number when it applies, instead, for example saying John Doe from the city or Mary Bloggs from Dungarvan.
    A while back there was 2 tickets won for an event on a specific event on a particular night, so any suspecting thief had the peoples full home address and new there was a chance that they wouldn't be home at a specific time!!
    In these days of heightened security you'd think these fools would have the basic cop-on of an amoeba and cut this practice out.

Rant over!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Mugser wrote: »
    Why, oh why do the "DJs" on WLR insist on announcing the full address of any competition winners?, down to the house number when it applies, instead, for example saying John Doe from the city or Mary Bloggs from Dungarvan.
    A while back there was 2 tickets won for an event on a specific event on a particular night, so any suspecting thief had the peoples full home address and new there was a chance that they wouldn't be home at a specific time!!
    In these days of heightened security you'd think these fools would have the basic cop-on of an amoeba and cut this practice out.

Rant over!!

Thats funny, I was listening to WLR last week and thought the very same thing,the DJ announced a prize winners exact address, house number and street name. 'people do be thick'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Why, oh why do the "DJs" on WLR insist on announcing the full address of any competition winners?, down to the house number when it applies, instead, for example saying John Doe from
    Because you'd be suprised how many people have the same name and live in the same place.
    When Mary Power's name is read out and she entered the competition she'll be ringing up to find out why wasn't she called. "Oh it was a different Mary Power? Well you should have read out the rest of the address. You mislead me and I won't have it."

Goes along the same lines as full addresses being read out for death notices. Other stations have been successfully sued for that sort of thing before.
    A while back there was 2 tickets won for an event on a specific event on a particular night, so any suspecting thief had the peoples full home address and new there was a chance that they wouldn't be home at a specific time!
    Assuming they collected and used the tickets and didn't have anyone else in the house or didn't give the tickets to someone else that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Because you'd be suprised how many people have the same name and live in the same place.
    When Mary Power's name is read out and she entered the competition she'll be ringing up to find out why wasn't she called. "Oh it was a different Mary Power? Well you should have read out the rest of the address. You mislead me and I won't have it."

That's bollox.
    'Are you Mary Power at this address, with this phone number?'
    'No'
    'Well then, fuck you Mary, you didn't win'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

longshanks wrote: »
    That's bollox.
    'Are you Mary Power at this address, with this phone number?'
    'No'
    'Well then, fuck you Mary, you didn't win'
    It is absolute bollox, but there are people out there who try and sue over this sort of stuff. Plenty of idiots out there who'll kick up a fuss over it when they don't win a big prize. "It was announced on air/on television/in the paper that Mary Power of Johns Road had won and I am Mary Power of Johns Road. Where is my prize?"

Depends on how the competition was entered tbh. Lots of variables with different types of competitions. I'd rather every single competition be done by phone. Text/ring in to enter. You're called to say you've won. Job done. If your phone didn't ring, you didn't feckin' win. Address etc is sorted out off-air with reception.

I don't know why for sure the full address is given out sometimes, but its not a green light for someone to rob the winner's house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

Another security fail that happens in the local newspapers especially in the rural area reports is wishing someone a lovely time on their holiday. A great way of letting the community know when people are away. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Send a little complaint into them so if you feel so strongly about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Who the hell leads such a dull life to listen to WLR, jasus god help us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Rant over!!

Maybe could be to do something with the fact that people could have the same name in the same area. Often happens. Also if they were to say the city for example you could have Joe Soap from Ardkeen after winning and when Joe hears his name but no address, you could have another Joe Soap living on the Paddy Browne road and another on the Cork Road who entered a competition also thinking it was they that won the competition. I know of many for example first cousins with the same name (sons of sons) who are named after a mutual grandfather (as used to happen all over Ireland in the past) living a short distance from each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

deisemum wrote: »
    Another security fail that happens in the local newspapers especially in the rural area reports is wishing someone a lovely time on their holiday. A great way of letting the community know when people are away. :rolleyes:

Happens alot when the news papers have an old person sending the local news to them. They seem to think they are still back in the 50's and 60's when you could leave the key in the front door (if you had a key that was) and nobody would think of touching it. Sometimes who would have to wonder about the editor or proof reader in the newspaper that allowed such information to be included.

The same happens when a person living alone is in hospital. "We wish a speedy recovery to Paddy Power who is in hospital at the moment". Some people are amazing.

Going slightly off topic, In one of the local papers recently (city and Dungarvan), I saw a woman been sympatised with on the death of her brother. She was dead with nearly two years herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

It should be quite simple.

Mary Power from 17 Lismore Heights wins a weekend away.

Mary is told by the producer how she can collect her prize. She is given some particular information so both parties can identify each other in the future.

DJ congratulates Mary Power from the city for winning the prize. Why can't it be that easy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

It should be quite simple.

Mary Power from 17 Lismore Heights wins a weekend away.

Mary is told by the producer how she can collect her prize. She is given some particular information so both parties can identify each other in the future.

DJ congratulates Mary Power from the city for winning the prize. Why can't it be that easy?

If Mary Power from 17 Lismore Heights gets in touch with you, you better have a weekend away ready for her lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

If Mary Power from 17 Lismore Heights gets in touch with you, you better have a weekend away ready for her lol

somebody mentions Mary Power........'MAAAAAAM, you won a prize.'

What are the chances of 2 people of the same name, living in the same area, listening to the same station and both of them actually calling in, slim. so saying name and general area would easily suffice. Added to that, im sure they ask for your number when yoiu call so that avoids any confusion at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 X2

Does anyone. Know who won thomond pk tickets on Wlr 18-10 looking to try buy them fingers crossed lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

is that for the Edinburgh game ?

if so, I dont think you'l have any hassle getting them up there...from what i heard the tickets didnt sell well

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

There's a limited number of tickets available for the game.

Advertisement