Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activities in Galway for retired parents

Options
  • 15-06-2012 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

My parents and aunt and uncle are booked into a hotel in Galway for a few days. They are all in early 70s. I would like to suggest some activities for them but I'm not sure what there is to do. Any suggestion would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Are they still active? Country walks etc?
    Salthill would be a good start, walk the prom, amusement halls, bingo palace.
    Maybe go swimming in Leisureland, check out the aquarium, Galway Museum, hang around the pubs on Shop Street and the market by St Nicholas Church.

Further out into the county there's Brigit's Garden, Dunguaire Castle Kinvara, Coole Park, Connemara National Park, Sky Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

I was entertaining an elderly person from out-of-town for a good part of today. This person is interested in architecture, so I brought her on a car tour around west Galway city to see outside of houses belonging to living Galway celebrities.

While doing that, I also showed her a couple of west Galway City's great mansions.

(Don't anyone ask me , not even by PM, what those are - I'm keeping that to myself. ;))

Also made sure she visited some of her distant relatives with children.

I was planning to bring her for afternoon tea in the Radisson Hotel as well, but she preferred to go to a hotel nearer where I live, so we went there and she loved that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 younailedit

Country walks wouldn't be appealing as they live in the country. Also nothing too strenuous would be best. Their hotel will have a pool but only my father will use that. Are they trips to any of the islands, wine tasting or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 younailedit

I was entertaining an elderly person from out-of-town for a good part of today. This person is interested in architecture, so I brought her on a car tour around west Galway city to see outside of houses belonging to living Galway celebrities.

While doing that, I also showed her a couple of west Galway City's great mansions.

(Don't anyone ask me , not even by PM, what those are - I'm keeping that to myself. ;))

Also made sure she visited some of her distant relatives with children.

I was planning to bring her for afternoon tea in the Radisson Hotel as well, but she preferred to go to a hotel nearer where I live, so we went there and she loved that.

I won't be there to drive them around so that's not an option.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Country walks wouldn't be appealing as they live in the country. Also nothing too strenuous would be best. Their hotel will have a pool but only my father will use that. Are they trips to any of the islands, wine tasting or anything like that?

Wine tasting - you're not from around here, are you ..... :D

Seriously, heaps to do, and it's all running at the moment 'cos it's peak tourist season. Go into the tourist office - trips to the island, Kylemore Abbey, Cliffs of Moher all on offer.

Around the city, double-decker bus tour, the market (if it's the weekend), session in a music pub (Crane, Taffes, Coilis). Museum (yeah, locals think it's naff, but it's good for less-mobile parent). Walk the prom if it's a nice day. Nora Barnacle museum (mmm, might not open 'til July). Poor Clares chapel if they're religious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

JustMary wrote: »
    . Poor Clares chapel if they're religious.

Is that open to the public?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I think an night out to see the Black Magic Big Band is well worth it. We brought some visitors to that (ages 18-50yrs) and they all loved it! It's Free (obviously you've to buy a drink). A session in the Crane Bar.

A walk on the prom in Salthill, Hire a boat to go down the river (goodness, if they still do that), Catch a show or gig in the Town Hall, a wander round the market on Sat morning. A rugby match or the Dogs on College road are always a good idea, seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Living Galway celebrities in West Galway City?

West Galway City's great mansions?

I'd love to see them. I've lived west of Galway City all my life and I can't think of one mansion, not to mind a celebrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Is that [Poor Clares chapel] open to the public?

Daytime hours, ring the doorbell and one of their externs shows you in for a visit, and chats in you want.

Or there's mass there at 8am every day.

Advertisement