Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

7 Inch AllWinner A13 1.5GHz Android 4.0 Tablet - €55.44

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Allyall wrote: »
    Don't get the UG802 or MK802..

I don't mind the UG802, wireless is not great but workable but quite a good device as does what I wanted it for. Haven't really a got a good chance to play around with it though so that may be a factor.
    Cool that's a quick turnaround.

Got my DHL shipping number shortly after so should have been my order next week.

My order arrived yesterday... really glad I paid the extra tenner for the DHL shipping as that was only took 3-4 working days once it was shipped (Hongkongeek) compared to nearly three weeks with my last order using a free shipping option (mcbub).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

So i've finally decided on the 7-yuandao-window-n70s-dualcore from HKG.

If i order this tonight, is there a chance ill get this by Christmas? They have a DHL Express option but will cost an extra 13 pounds and they don't say how Express it is..
    Anybody know an estimated delivery time from them. Thanks.
    You should. I'm planning on ordering again before Christmas. With their current orders they are behind 2 days. DHL Express should take 5 - 9 days. My most recent order was made on the 1st of December, expecting it on or before Tuesday.

DHL tried to deliver it yesterday, and there was nobody there. I am just after finding their DHL "failed attempt to deliver" notice.
    So it seems normal. 5 days processing/whatever. Then delivered.
    I don't mind the UG802, wireless is not great but workable but quite a good device as does what I wanted it for. Haven't really a got a good chance to play around with it though so that may be a factor.

The wireless is atrocious if you are anywhere the router isn't. I had to set up connectify on my laptop.
    The audio sync on video is terrible. Some are way worse, but all are out of sync altogether.
    It's like watching a badly dubbed Japanese movie.

If i order this tonight, is there a chance ill get this by Christmas? They have a DHL Express option but will cost an extra 13 pounds and they don't say how Express it is..
    Anybody know an estimated delivery time from them. Thanks.

DHL are very quick to get it to your door and you can track it all the way.
    The slowest point was getting HongKongeek to actually get my order to DHL as that took over a week (order was just stuck on preperation in progress). Only after a few emails did I magically get my Order has been shipped email.

Below is how my order got here - I recived my tracking notice on the 30th.
    Thursday, December 06, 2012 Location Time
    15 Delivered - Signed for by : B****R TIPPERARY 12:56
    14 With delivery courier SHANNON - IRELAND, REPUBLIC OF 09:02
    13 Arrived at Sort Facility SHANNON - IRELAND, REPUBLIC OF SHANNON - IRELAND, REPUBLIC OF 08:14
    12 Departed Facility in EAST MIDLANDS - UK EAST MIDLANDS - UK 05:19
    11 Processed at EAST MIDLANDS - UK EAST MIDLANDS - UK 01:02

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 Location Time
    10 Arrived at Sort Facility EAST MIDLANDS - UK EAST MIDLANDS - UK 23:23
    9 Departed Facility in LEIPZIG - GERMANY LEIPZIG - GERMANY 20:05
    8 Processed at LEIPZIG - GERMANY LEIPZIG - GERMANY 08:16
    7 Arrived at Sort Facility LEIPZIG - GERMANY LEIPZIG - GERMANY 01:01

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 Location Time
    6 Departed Facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 17:36
    5 Processed at HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 17:15
    4 Arrived at Sort Facility HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 04:09
    3 Departed Facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 03:25
    2 Processed at HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 03:25

Monday, December 03, 2012 Location Time
    1 Shipment picked up HONG KONG - HONG KONG 23:50
    The wireless is atrocious if you are anywhere the router isn't. I had to set up connectify on my laptop.
    The audio sync on video is terrible. Some are way worse, but all are out of sync altogether.
    It's like watching a badly dubbed Japanese movie.

Your right about wifi as I did notice that the wireless signal was only at 50% even though it was about 4 foot away from router. Thankfully internet is only something that I may use only now and again on it (have pc, phone, tablet etc for that).
    The audio sync issues I presume was from streaming via network. I bought a multi-usb hub for mine as I'll be connecting hard drives locally to it. I tested a few 720p movies from these and they worked without issues. Also tested the SD card to play stuff and that worked fine too so happy with that aspect.

Played a few games I had downloaded as well and they worked without issues.

As I said before I'm quite happy with mine as I bought it to do specific things but I knew and had read up about the limitations. If your buying one of these for constant internet related stuff (streaming etc) then obviouslly not a great purchase.

The audio sync issues I presume was from streaming via network. I bought a multi-usb hub for mine as I'll be connecting hard drives locally to it. I tested a few 720p movies from these and they worked without issues. Also tested the SD card to play stuff and that worked fine too so happy with that aspect.

No, Unfortunately i wasn't streaming. It was from external Hard Drive, and TV series' from MicroSD card.
    It is worse with some codecs, haven't bothered trying to figure out which.
    The new Spiderman movie from YIFY was brutal (720p)
    The new Batman movie same source was bearable (also 720p).

Also have been watching some TV series' and one episode might be bearable (you can notice it's out of sync, but watchable, and not annoying), the next episode is completely out of sync.

I know it's the different codec, but i don't think i am going to convert all my movies for that stick.

I already have the finless custom ROM on it, but just noticed 2Dark4U Custom Rom alleges to maybe fix it. Will try that when i have time and see if it makes a difference.
    If it does, I can live without wifi, or using Connectify.

No, Unfortunately i wasn't streaming. It was from external Hard Drive, and TV series' from MicroSD card.
    It is worse with some codecs, haven't bothered trying to figure out which.
    The new Spiderman movie from YIFY was brutal (720p)
    The new Batman movie same source was bearable (also 720p).

Also have been watching some TV series' and one episode might be bearable (you can notice it's out of sync, but watchable, and not annoying), the next episode is completely out of sync.

I know it's the different codec, but i don't think i am going to convert all my movies for that stick.

I already have the finless custom ROM on it, but just noticed 2Dark4U Custom Rom alleges to maybe fix it. Will try that when i have time and see if it makes a difference.
    If it does, I can live without wifi, or using Connectify.

Ah OK thats not good news so. Will have to do more testing so as I only flicked through the movies to make sure that it could play them and didn't notice any sync issues (I did when I tried to stream them).

I also have the finless custom ROM (1.5 i think) on mine so let me know if the new ROM solves those issues as that would be a dealbreaker!

Which video player were you using? I usually use MXplayer on my other android devices but that crashed when I tried to use it on the stick so was using the default player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Dont really have time to look through the thread,
    Is there a general consensus for which of these budget tabs is worth a put ?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

hi,

Just got a Cube u30gt Mini today. At the beginning it would not turn on but eventually we got it on. I'm just curious, icase this happens again, how do I root/flash this? And whats the best rom available?

Thanks in advance
    Lash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Guys....... i am loking at these 2 tablets here and here

there is a few dollars difference in price but im not sure whats the difference between the 2 tablets?

Do these 2 tablets look decent enough for the money?

It will be mainly for just browsing the internet and facebook

any opinions welcome

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Guys....... i am loking at these 2 tablets here and here

there is a few dollars difference in price but im not sure whats the difference between the 2 tablets?

Do these 2 tablets look decent enough for the money?

It will be mainly for just browsing the internet and facebook

any opinions welcome

cheers

I'd suggest you check with Hongkonggeek about availability first, I ordered a Ployer Momo7 off them on Sunday and they kept fobbing me off about when it would ship until this morning when they finally emailed me to say that they wouldn't have stock until after Christmas and offered me a Cube U30GT Mini instead but as it only has a 3000mAh battery I didn't want it.

They didn't have the Yuandao N70 IPS either so in the end I took a Yuandao N70S which is a good bit cheaper but doesn't have the IPS screen.

Reviews of the N70S suggests it's a decent enough tab but some N70's suffer from ghost touch issues, not sure if that includes the N70S, so I just hope I don't get a dud one.

If I had know at the time of ordering I would have tried to get a Momo7 off an aliexpress seller instead.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 TheLastMile

What do ye think of this mini pc guys?
    here
    Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

What do ye think of this mini pc guys?
    here
    Thanks

I think it's overpriced and I think you are either the seller or shilling for the seller considering your last 3 posts are identical. Any more shilling on this forum and you'll be banned from it. I've removed your link.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

Ordered a window N70S from Hongkonggeek on Sunday night and it arrived via dhl on Friday. Couldn't believe how fast it was and the tablet is great! Bought it for my brother but I'll be getting one for myself soon as. Didn't put any ROM on it yet and don't know if I will.. Everything works fine the way it is. Haven't tried hooking it up to the TV yet either, don't have the mini hdmi to HDMI cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Ordered a window N70S from Hongkonggeek on Sunday night and it arrived via dhl on Friday. Couldn't believe how fast it was and the tablet is great! Bought it for my brother but I'll be getting one for myself soon as. Didn't put any ROM on it yet and don't know if I will.. Everything works fine the way it is. Haven't tried hooking it up to the TV yet either, don't have the mini hdmi to HDMI cable.

Did you get any updates from them as when they posted it? I ordered one but so far it's showing up on my account as preparing for shipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭EI2011

Hongkonggeek are they reliable to u hav to pay taxes on the devices arrival dont no much about this kinda thing

Should have bough an adapter from them when you purchased the tablet. I thankfully remembered to buy one plus a USB OTG cable.
    m4r10 wrote: »
    Did you get any updates from them as when they posted it? I ordered one but so far it's showing up on my account as preparing for shipment.

Mine was like that for a good few days till I contacted them for an update. Next day I got an email it was shipped.
    EI2011 wrote: »
    Hongkonggeek are they reliable to u hav to pay taxes on the devices arrival dont no much about this kinda thing

No complaints from me about them. Items as described and received within a few days once shipped (using DHL). You pay the taxes due to fact that if your shipment gets stopped by customs, they will pay the extra charge.

Mine was like that for a good few days till I contacted them for an update. Next day I got an email it was shipped.

Thanks, I'll keep pounding them with emails hoping to speed things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I got the last one of these for £95 sterling and the Parcelforce fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭EI2011

Should have bough an adapter from them

No complaints from me about them. Items as described and received within a few days once shipped (using DHL). You pay the taxes due to fact that if your shipment gets stopped by customs, they will pay the extra charge.

so if it does get caught for taxes the company pay the fee?

• Advertisement

So it says on their wab page and it's the reason they're so successful. Anyway, that's my reason I bought the tablet from them and will report back in a few days about my experience with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Should have bough an adapter from them when you purchased the tablet. I thankfully remembered to buy one plus a USB OTG cable.

Have you ever purchased a phone from them, i ordered a star93 from them. just wondering will the Wi-Fi and the apps work in ireland?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

From what i read it seems they incorporate this into your purchase price, so if it doesnt get caught there on a winner!

From what i read it seems they incorporate this into your purchase price, so if it doesnt get caught there on a winner!

It's not included in the purchase price.
    That's from their site:
    1. You pay customs duty on delivery.
    2. You send us official document(s) or receipt(s) by email.
    3. You are refunded by PayPal.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

My order status was changed to shipped within a day and they gave me a code for dhl to track the order but I had to wait 72 hours before I could check the status. It was in my house by the time I got to check it..! I'd say it was so quick because I bought one that wasn't as popular and prob had plenty in stock. Didn't get caught for any tax either so all good.

It's not included in the purchase price.
    That's from their site:
    1. You pay customs duty on delivery.
    2. You send us official document(s) or receipt(s) by email.
    3. You are refunded by PayPal.

You are 100% correct.

It was, it is no longer.

They work out more expensive than aliexpress now.
    And their attitude to me 2 days ago was, "Well, go buy it off them".
    Without any provocation.

HongKongeek changed their policy, they're not worth it now. They're more expensive than when the duty gets added.

Hopefully someone see's and competes.

By the way, HKG's wholesaler is much cheaper and worth the risk, as it still works out cheaper even if your items are caught. --> Go to Wholesale

It'll bring you HERE.
    Problem is, they don't use paypal or Skrill. I haven't tried them, but if someone is willing to risk it......

It's a lot cheaper. (With Duty it's nearly 30% cheaper than aliexpress on some items)

• Advertisement

Well, I hope for my sake you're not right as I have a tablet on the way from them! If I get done for taxes, for sure I'll challenge them as they still advertise the refund duty on their main page. If the tablet was for me and had to pay taxes, for sure I would've send it back, but as it's a present, I'm afraid it's too late for me.

Well, I hope for my sake you're not right as I have a tablet on the way from them! If I get done for taxes, for sure I'll challenge them as they still advertise the refund duty on their main page. If the tablet was for me and had to pay taxes, for sure I would've send it back, but as it's a present, I'm afraid it's too late for me.

There is no where to hide on the internet and I'm quite sure that if HongKongGeeks were in the habit of not honouring their "we pay the vat & duty" guarantee a Google search would throw up plenty of results but I didn't find any when I did a quick search.

My order finally shipped on Saturday having been placed the previous Sunday but they couldn't get stock of the Ployer Momo7 I wanted so there is the cheaper Yuandao N70S on the way. They refunded the difference in price (about €25) very quickly before the unit was shipped and without any prompting from me so I don't foresee any problem in getting refunded the vat & duty if my parcel is stopped.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Received 2x Yuandao N70S from HKG this morning. Ordered them last weekend so all good. My wife tells me that they look class for the money.

No, sorry. I should rephrase.

HongKongeek are a good way to get products delivered from China. They will refund you the VAT if you get charged any. They used to include the VAT in the price, I'm not entirely sure when they stopped.

Sometimes there's nothing in it, For example a Cube U18GT Elite from Aliexpress delivered is €75 + VAT (If stopped)

Where HongKongeek is €92 Delivered + VAT (if Stopped, which is refunded)

So, it may be easier to go with Aliexpress, as you don't have to go through the process of getting the refund.

Right now, HongKongeek are losing. I have recommmended them time and time again, and used them many times, but now they have started to take liberties with their pricing.

I have 5 Android Dongles on the way, and that'll be the last time i use them for a while.

So, it may be easier to go with Aliexpress, as you don't have to go through the process of getting the refund.

Sorry but this sounds like a weird way of wording it.

Last time I ordered something from China (the OP tablet and a minipc), I ordered from the OP website. It unfortunately got stopped by customs and I got stung for an additional 36 euro. If I had ordered from HGK I could have got this money refunded.

The reason I went with HGK was due to the fact that if the product did get stopped then I could simply ask for that money back from them. If I went with Aliexpress as per your example I would not have had that option like my orignal purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

Can't get the wifi working on this at all for some reason. It will connect to the router but when I use the browser or any internet application it doesn't work. Anyone have issues like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Has anyone bought a 10inch tablet yet? Looking for one, budget 200 inc shipping and customs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭slegs

Has anyone used these guys below

Seem to be based in UK and have stock of the Cube U9GT4 that is out of stock on Amazon

http://www.didobuy.com/android-tablet/brand/cube/cube-u9gt4

Have ordered from them - 140eur delivered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

Has anyone bought a 10inch tablet yet? Looking for one, budget 200 inc shipping and customs

Bought THIS one last week from China. Best specs at that price. Took a week to get here, and got caught with customs unfortunately, but all in, €215 well spent!
    Big community of online support and custom rom developement with this around the web.

Just to add..

The €215 consisted of the tablet €137, DHL shipping €25, shipping damage insurance €4, irish plug (which i didn't receive) €1, paypal conversion fees €8 and customs charges of €40.
    €175 would have been a steal but €215 is still a great price for it considering the cost of a comparably specced tablet available in Ireland/UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

superneat wrote: »

Bought THIS one last week from China. Best specs at that price. Took a week to get here, and got caught with customs unfortunately, but all in, €215 well spent!
    Big community of online support and custom rom developement with this around the web.

Just to add..

The €215 consisted of the tablet €137, DHL shipping €25, shipping damage insurance €4, irish plug (which i didn't receive) €1, paypal conversion fees €8 and customs charges of €40.
    €175 would have been a steal but €215 is still a great price for it considering the cost of a comparably specced tablet available in Ireland/UK.

I got a hero from Aliexpress. Also got done for €41 customs but still came in under the €200 mark. I haven't updated the rom yet, am not convinced by what's out there at the moment (compared to how solid the rom was for the flame when I upgraded it). Which site are you tracking the Roms? Slatedroid?

Sorry but this sounds like a weird way of wording it.

Last time I ordered something from China (the OP tablet and a minipc), I ordered from the OP website. It unfortunately got stopped by customs and I got stung for an additional 36 euro. If I had ordered from HGK I could have got this money refunded.

The reason I went with HGK was due to the fact that if the product did get stopped then I could simply ask for that money back from them. If I went with Aliexpress as per your example I would not have had that option like my orignal purchase.

It probably was worded weird. Yep, you do get the money refunded from HKG, but, you also pay the landed amount with VAT included, that you would from Aliexpress/McBub/Merimobiles etc...

For example, if i buy a tablet from Aliexpress/Mcbub etc.. and it gets caught, i pay €92. (€75 plus VAT) The end.

If i buy from HKG (Now) i pay €92 (Delivered) + VAT (Up to €122 all inclusive) if caught, which i then get refunded (The €30)...

So HKG are now trying to pass customs (While using DHL, which is near impossible), and risk getting caught.

I'd rather pay the VAT, and that be the end of it. (I.e. i don't want to have to chase a refund.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I ordered 2 units through HKG Tue 11th Dec.
    Was delivered Monday, December 17 @1pm.
    Units are fantastic, no complaints.
    No charge from customs.

I got an email from HKG saying the parcel had shipped on Saturday. Just checked the DHL tracking and it is saying the parcel was picked up in Hong Kong 45 minutes ago. :mad:

It's wanted as a birthday present on the 29th. so I hope I should be OK if it doesn't take any detours on route. Fingers crossed.

My order was placed on Dec. 9th.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

This is the delivery log, so you can guesstimate:
    Monday, December 17, 2012
    15 With delivery courier SHANNON - IRELAND, REPUBLIC OF 09:01

14 Arrived at Sort Facility SHANNON - IRELAND, REPUBLIC OF SHANNON - IRELAND, REPUBLIC OF 07:56

13 Departed Facility in EAST MIDLANDS - UK EAST MIDLANDS - UK 02:25

12 Transferred through EAST MIDLANDS - UK EAST MIDLANDS - UK 02:23

11 Departed Facility in LEIPZIG - GERMANY LEIPZIG - GERMANY 00:13

Sunday, December 16, 2012 Location Time
    10 Processed at LEIPZIG - GERMANY LEIPZIG - GERMANY 16:17

9 Arrived at Sort Facility LEIPZIG - GERMANY LEIPZIG - GERMANY 15:30

8 Departed Facility in FRANKFURT - GERMANY FRANKFURT - GERMANY 09:10

7 Transferred through FRANKFURT - GERMANY FRANKFURT - GERMANY 09:08

Saturday, December 15, 2012 Location Time
    6 Departed Facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 20:58

5 Processed at HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 20:43

4 Processed at HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 13:11

3 Arrived at Sort Facility HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 13:03

2 Departed Facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 05:57

Friday, December 14, 2012 Location Time
    1 Shipment picked up HONG KONG - HONG KONG 23:07

Do-more wrote: »
    I got an email from HKG saying the parcel had shipped on Saturday. Just checked the DHL tracking and it is saying the parcel was picked up in Hong Kong 45 minutes ago. :mad:

It's wanted as a birthday present on the 29th. so I hope I should be OK if it doesn't take any detours on route. Fingers crossed.

My order was placed on Dec. 9th.

You'll should easily recieve it by the 29th. Once DHL pick it up it generally only takes 3-4 days so I'd say you'd have it by next week (obviously depends though on DHL delivery times over christmas). The slowest part is always getting it to DHL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

guys can i ask which of these 3 tablets you think is better and why?

here, here and here

The tablet is for my mum who will mainly use it for browsing on line and facebook

Cheers

You'll should easily recieve it by the 29th. Once DHL pick it up it generally only takes 3-4 days so I'd say you'd have it by next week (obviously depends though on DHL delivery times over christmas). The slowest part is always getting it to DHL!

It's been further processed in Hong Kong so I am hoping it will make the overnight flight to Europe tonight, as long as it doesn't go walkabout I should be OK for delivery on Thursday or Friday.
    guys can i ask which of these 3 tablets you think is better and why?

here, here and here

The tablet is for my mum who will mainly use it for browsing on line and facebook

Cheers

The only problem with either of the Cube tablets is that the battery size is only 3000mAh so is not going to be great, The Yuandao N70S has a 3,700mAh battery so should be at least 20% better for battery life.

I have a N70S on the way so I can't give a personal impression yet but I picked it after reading a fair amount of feedback on the Net.

Some Yuandao's suffer from ghost touch problems but I don't think (hope) this particular model is effected.

It is also not possible to charge the Yuandao with a USB charger but this may be enabled with a firmware update, personally I think it is a good option to have as I already have 3 or 4, 2A usb chargers around the house.

My own first choice was a dual core Ployer Momo7 but they couldn't get stock and it about €20 more expensive.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

I bought this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007RNXULO/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

english seller so no customs, arrived in 2 days. I'm new to tablets and was very confused with the many different tablets recommended in this thread. then someone posted a link to the comic book forum where they discussed this tablet and i read a few reviews and took a chance.

they are brillant! I'm sure there are better specs out there but for a balance of screen size/power/price i could not find better. £119 plus £4 delivery.

I had to get 4 so was on a really tight budget :o. totally happy with them.

comic book thread here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78279624

soups05 wrote: »
    I bought this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007RNXULO/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

english seller so no customs, arrived in 2 days. I'm new to tablets and was very confused with the many different tablets recommended in this thread. then someone posted a link to the comic book forum where they discussed this tablet and i read a few reviews and took a chance.

they are brillant! I'm sure there are better specs out there but for a balance of screen size/power/price i could not find better. £119 plus £4 delivery.

I had to get 4 so was on a really tight budget :o. totally happy with them.

comic book thread here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78279624

That was a decent tablet at the time but tablet development moves so quickly at the moment that it's spec is way outdated now.

That one is only a single core processor and the latest generation tablets have quad core processors.

It's debatable of course whether you need that much power in a tablet at all, it depends what you are using it for.

I bought a 9.7" Cube U20GT for my son in October and I am very satisfied with it, the 8,000mAh battery gives it great battery life and the dual core Rockchip RK3066 gives it plenty of processing power I have never noticed any lag any time I have used it. It has a gorilla glass screen which may be a plus for you. The only problem I have had with it is the charger packing in, I didn't bother getting back on to China about it and just got a replacement on ebay.

There is official Jellybean firmware available for it but I have never bothered upgrading it from ICS as it seems to perform well with it.

I haven't looked for feedback on the Hero but Ainol seem to have quite a history of quality problems particularly touchscreen related and some buggy firmware, I'd be wary of buying an Ainol myself but having said that if you look hard enough you will find someone with a complaint about almost every tablet on the market even the ones from the big brands.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

All tablet are half price in HMV Grafton st at the moment. No idea on specs just noticed them while I was picking up something else.

All tablet are half price in HMV Grafton st at the moment. No idea on specs just noticed them while I was picking up something else.

If that includes the Nexus 7 then it's a huge deal, if word gets out there will be a stampede!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭SteM

Do-more wrote: »

If that includes the Nexus 7 then it's a huge deal, if word gets out there will be a stampede!

They rarely seem to have nexus 7 stock in there through :(

Just had the tablet delivered now, declared as a photo frame with US$15 customs value, DHL obviously accepted that and there was no VAT or duty to pay.

Just opened up the package and HKG have sent me a 9.7" Yuandao N90S rather than the 7" N70S I ordered, they also included two chargers so hopefully one will last for a while.

I didn't really want a big tablet as it is for a 6 year old and the 7" would have suited just fine but the specs seem to be the same apart from the screen size and having a much bigger 6,000mAh battery so I guess I can't really complain for €90 delivered!

invest4deepvalue.com

Just got my tablet today as well. The driver left the packet and was about to leave and i asked him if it's possible I'll be hit later on with duty tax, he had a look at the package and it was marked with a value of $18, so am a happy bunny right now! At least I don't have to follow HKG for tax refund.

Now I have to set it up, get rid of the chinese browsers and games and it's ready to go under the Christmas tree :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Was looking at some of the phones on the hongkongeek site and was wondering if anyone has bought one from them? They look very good for the price but I'm a bit unsure of the site and what kind of quality I'd be getting.

Advertisement