Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

7 Inch AllWinner A13 1.5GHz Android 4.0 Tablet - €55.44

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Jarren wrote: »
    Fancy a Retina display?

www.onda-tablet.com/onda-v972-quad-core-9-7-inch-retina-screen-daul-camera-android-tablet-pc.html

That would be my choice anyway based on your budget.

Here's another one around the same specs. Not sure which is better?

http://www.pandawill.com/icoo-icou10gt-quad-core-a31-tablet-pc-101-inch-android-41-ips-screen-2g-ram-4k-video-gold-p70663.html

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭oodles19

That Onda that Jarren posted looks pretty tasty, we may have a winner! Next up, do you think ordering direct from them or would everyone recommend HKG? This'll be my first time ordering from over there so I'm a touch cautious (I know there's a risk but I'm trying to minimise it!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

oodles19 wrote: »
    That Onda that Jarren posted looks pretty tasty, we may have a winner! Next up, do you think ordering direct from them or would everyone recommend HKG? This'll be my first time ordering from over there so I'm a touch cautious (I know there's a risk but I'm trying to minimise it!)

I've ordered from HKG and they arrived quickly (via DHL) and customs free

I'm planning to get the v972 for myself as well but don't really trust onda-tablet.com

From my understanding they are only a re seller, Official website being http://onda.cn/

Info
    http://tabletrepublic.com/forum/tablet-manufacturers-suppliers/onda-tablet-com-any-review-experiences-seller-1628.html

http://tabletrepublic.com/forum/tablet-manufacturers-suppliers/blacklisted-sellers-dont-buy-them-2001.html

Righto, the bullet is being bitten! going with the Onda v972 here:
    http://hongkongeek.com/google-android-tablets/1832-97-onda-v972-allwinner-a31-quad-core-android-41-retina-screen-2gb-ddr3-16gb.html

Thanks to Teddy, Jarren and messinkiapina for your kind help, I'll post when I receive it and let you know how I got on, btw, does anyone know whether the lack of an Irish option in the country selection pop down menu on the HKG page causes any issues? Just curious....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

There's nearly 40 euro in the difference between hongkongeeks.com and onda-tablet.com. Those posts have me worried now about them. I emailed onda-tablet.com about shipping and they got back fairly quickly, they write a lower value on the package too. What are other reliable sellers that people deal with. What to try and get the best price but also receive my tablet too.

The onda-tablet website doesnt include delivery.
    You can get free delivery with HKG (Its not via courier though)

I would personally go for HKG myself just because they will pay customs should it happen to get nabbed which might be likely!

The deal with Hongkonggeeks is that they will refund you the vat/customs duty if it gets snagged on the way through, so the price you pay pretty much includes that. With other sellers you're taking the chance, it might sail through customs, it might not, if it doesn't you're out 40/50 bucks that you have to pay before you receive it...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Spangles

Joeface wrote: »
    Allwinner 7inch bought from geekbuying . weeks ago. No problems what so ever.

another one purchased by staff member but having google play issues. cannot download anything when logged in with this users account. but when I log in with my details on her tablet everything downloads perfect. Went to google play on my desktop and under settings it list my Table as Unknown A13-MID . but on her account has no devices associated . I am pretty lost as what to do . Error ranges from " cannot download due to error 101 or 403 or 921. and none of the online solutions work. Anyone any ideas why it worked for me and not for them.

I had a similar problem when I got my Allwinner A13 and tried loads of different suggestions I found on-line. I was getting all sorts of error messages/server problem messages when I was trying to download apps from Google Play Store and I eventually resolved it by doing the following :-

Go to "Settings"
    Tap “Applications”
    Tap “Manage Applications”
    Select "All"
    Scroll to and tap “Google Play Store”
    Tap “Force Stop”, tap “OK”, tap “Clear data”, and tap "OK".
    Tap the Back button to get back to the applications list.
    Scroll to and tap “Google Service Framework”
    Tap “Force Stop”, tap “OK”, tap “Clear data”, and tap "OK".
    Now reboot (switch on & off) your device.

:D Since doing this I have been able to download netflix, gtunes etc I got the info here if you have any more problems. (See answer #24)

http://forums.androidcentral.com/tablet-apps/233318-error-retrieving-information-server-rpc-s-5-aec-0-a.html

Hope this helps - am delighted with my Allwinner A13. Unbelievable value (It was detected by customs though :()

Thanks OP !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Whats the best delivery option with hongkongeeks.com? China Post is free and DHL is £ 14.96. Is china post EMS? Wouldn't mind having to wait an extra few days to save over 20 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Righto, the bullet is being bitten! going with the Onda v972 here:
    http://hongkongeek.com/google-android-tablets/1832-97-onda-v972-allwinner-a31-quad-core-android-41-retina-screen-2gb-ddr3-16gb.html

Thanks to Teddy, Jarren and messinkiapina for your kind help, I'll post when I receive it and let you know how I got on, btw, does anyone know whether the lack of an Irish option in the country selection pop down menu on the HKG page causes any issues? Just curious....

Keep us updated! Would love to find out what its like.

Keep us updated! Would love to find out what its like.

Will do, I went with the express option, have read through the thread that your experience might vary hugely with how long it might take so I have no idea what kind of timeframe I'm looking at. Might even do a wee unboxing vid for the craic, though since tablets aren't really my thing it'd be fairly basic :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Will do, I went with the express option, have read through the thread that your experience might vary hugely with how long it might take so I have no idea what kind of timeframe I'm looking at. Might even do a wee unboxing vid for the craic, though since tablets aren't really my thing it'd be fairly basic :o

Go for the unboxing vid! Hopefully it arrives really soon so I can order mine :D

Let us know what sort of bloatware if any is one it like weird chinese things. Hope it doesnt need to be flashed or anything like that. I'm not into that kind of thing despite my IT nerdy background.

Go for the unboxing vid! Hopefully it arrives really soon so I can order mine :D

Let us know what sort of bloatware if any is one it like weird chinese things. Hope it doesnt need to be flashed or anything like that. I'm not into that kind of thing despite my IT nerdy background.

Right, will do so, guess I'm the guinea pig!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Most likely it'll run smooth, but probably will come with a load of Chinese cr@p on it, they all do.

It should take 8 days from order to door. (Assuming Christmas post in Kong Kong is back to Normal hours.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭barry181091

So guys what is the best tablet sub-100 euro? Preferably a tablet with a bit of a development following!

• Advertisement

Could take a bit longer than 8 days

"Ce produit sera disponible à compter du 2013-01-08"

teddy b123 wrote: »

Yeah I was thinking the same, its basically just out, I'll have to make patience a virtue :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Yep, i didn't see that.

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Whats the best delivery option with hongkongeeks.com? China Post is free and DHL is £ 14.96. Is china post EMS? Wouldn't mind having to wait an extra few days to save over 20 quid.

EMS is an international express postal service.. If you pay for EMS, you should get it in a decent time. If you use the free shipping option, it can take up to 28 days.. (I have waited longer, and shorter.)
    I only ever paid for EMS once, just over a year ago. It took around 2 weeks, which wasn't good considering i paid. DHL takes around 8 days on HKG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

This thread us huge and there seems to be a decent amount of different tablets mentioned.. I'm looking for a 7" tablet to use in the car for sat nav, music etc. (saw a blog post about a guy installing a nexus 7 in his car n decided I'd try it myself) Whats the best bang per buck 7" out there at the mo?

I had a look at the likes of honkonggeek.com and there's a cack load of 7" tablets, hard to know which is the best.. Also had a look at the Onda-Tablet site that was recommended a few pages back, anyone used them before?

I've a decent amount of vouchers to be used up on amazon.co.uk so that'd be an ideal place to order from but don't mind ordering elsewhere for better value/specs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Not strictly Android but you can still get some Android apps

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BlackBerry-PlayBook-Tablet-camera-Bluetooth/dp/B004UL34GW/ref=sr_1_72?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1356900955&sr=1-72

Start spending those vouchers now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Jarren wrote: »
    Not strictly Android but you can still get some Android apps

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BlackBerry-PlayBook-Tablet-camera-Bluetooth/dp/B004UL34GW/ref=sr_1_72?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1356900955&sr=1-72

Start spending those vouchers now :pac:

Would rather stick with Android, but you reminded me I bought one of those HP tablets during their firesale.. Thing is still in the box, just need to remember where the hell I left it!!!

unklerosco wrote: »
    This thread us huge and there seems to be a decent amount of different tablets mentioned.. I'm looking for a 7" tablet to use in the car for sat nav, music etc. (saw a blog post about a guy installing a nexus 7 in his car n decided I'd try it myself) Whats the best bang per buck 7" out there at the mo?

I had a look at the likes of honkonggeek.com and there's a cack load of 7" tablets, hard to know which is the best.. Also had a look at the Onda-Tablet site that was recommended a few pages back, anyone used them before?

I've a decent amount of vouchers to be used up on amazon.co.uk so that'd be an ideal place to order from but don't mind ordering elsewhere for better value/specs.
    I would have to say if it was at all in your budget a nexus 7, they're 239 for 32gig in HMV, might even find it cheaper online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Received my star b93 phone from HKG yesterday. Have to say I am extremely happy with the performance of it so far.

Ultra fast, all the features and apps work fine. Wi fi, messaging, bluetooth.

Ordered on Christmas eve, and cleared customs no problems.

Would certainly have no hesitation recommending HKG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cypressg

zerks wrote: »
    This looks like great value,could someone who knows what they're talking about comment on it if you have a minute.
    I'm broke so it's within my price range,will just be using it for browsing and watching vids abroad when I emigrate,am not very good at all with computers so...your help would be very much appreciated.

cypressg wrote: »
    This looks like great value,could someone who knows what they're talking about comment on it if you have a minute.
    I'm broke so it's within my price range,will just be using it for browsing and watching vids abroad when I emigrate,am not very good at all with computers so...your help would be very much appreciated.

If charging is done only on the little round adapter I'd avoid it.
    They seem to break / damage far too easily!

Nice one for the feedback teddy.
    If that's all that's wrong with it I'll take my chances though!Am very tight for cash at the moment and really need some sort of tablet,will be in a much better financial position in a years time hopefully so I'll splash out on something fancy then,but until then I 'm thinking I can't go wrong with it for 110 yoyo-I never break electrical equipment anyway,am very careful so hopefully this will last a few months anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

Which, if any, of all the tablets being mentioned will run SkyGo?

Had a Touchpad with Android ICS running on it, and SkyGo wasn't supported. Not into Android so don't know what's what.

Nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭green123

Soarer wrote: »
    Which, if any, of all the tablets being mentioned will run SkyGo?

Had a Touchpad with Android ICS running on it, and SkyGo wasn't supported. Not into Android so don't know what's what.

Nice one.

dont think it will work with any of the tablets in this thread.

its not androids fault, sky only allow you to use skygo on a very limited number of android devices.

this page has a list of the devices they allow skygo on :
    http://www.sky.com/ireland/tv/sky-go/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I can't find any reliable reviews of this tablet (the only ones were on sellers pages and many look like the sellers wrote them) but the specs look OK, the dual core processor is a fairly decent one, but the screen is not IPS so don't expect too much.

The battery is big enough so should give you reasonable usage times.

There is no community support for this tablet so don't expect to find any custom roms for it.

It's always a bit of a lottery buying a Chinese tablet so can't say for sure if it's a good buy but it looks like it could be OK.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

I'm far from an expert on the tablet end of things myself, but I did a decent bit of research before ordering mine and Ramos popped up a bit. Looked into them and they seem solid enough in general (don't know about this specific device) Like you said yourself, for a hundred snots you could do far worse. At the same time, if I were you I'd have a hunt around for something at the same price with IPS, apparently it makes a huge difference for viewing comfort...

Nice one re the IPS heads up guys,have wiki'd IPS and yeah it seems like it will detract from the experience alright but price is the main factor for me right now and I don't think I'll find a similiar sized tablet for in or around the same price so this looks like the one I'll be getting.

Nice one re the IPS heads up guys,have wiki'd IPS and yeah it seems like it will detract from the experience alright but price is the main factor for me right now and I don't think I'll find a similiar sized tablet for in or around the same price so this looks like the one I'll be getting.
    Maybe have a look at this?
    http://hongkongeek.com/google-android-tablets/1039-97-eken-a90-capacitive-ips-allwinner-a10-10ghz-android-403-dual-camera-1gb-ddr3-8gb.html

Yep,that defo looks better and also has the hdmi,that will be the one so,much appreciated!!Will be ordering 2nite hopefully.

Yep,that defo looks better and also has the hdmi,that will be the one so,much appreciated!!Will be ordering 2nite hopefully.
    What you are gaining on the screen you are losing on the processor, the Ramos has a dual core 1.5Ghz cpu whereas the Eken just has a single core 1.0Ghz cpu.

It's a headwreck I know but if you are trying to keep it as cheap as possible you are going to have to make some compromises and it will be up to you to decide which features are the most important to you.

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    What you are gaining on the screen you are losing on the processor, the Ramos has a dual core 1.5Ghz cpu whereas the Eken just has a single core 1.0Ghz cpu.

It's a headwreck I know but if you are trying to keep it as cheap as possible you are going to have to make some compromises and it will be up to you to decide which features are the most important to you.
    Nice 1,all I'll be doing is browsing and watching films and facebook tbh so I probably don't need much processing power?

Nice 1,all I'll be doing is browsing and watching films and facebook tbh so I probably don't need much processing power?

I can't give you any feedback on that as all 3 tablets we have in the house are dual core.

Plenty of other people on this thread will have tablets with the Allwinner single core chip in it and can tell you better than I what the user experience is like.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deano546

Hey guys, I'm just wondering what is the best 7 inch android tablet for €120? It would only be used for Facebook/Skype and a small bit of browsing.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Most also charge via usb also & a replacement charger can be got for a couple of euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 newmummy

i have bought the 7" yeahpad from light in the box, arrived today. lovely little thing and will serve its purpose, my ds to play his games and apps. my question is ........would anyone have a clue as to where i would get a jelly skin for it? cant seem to find anything online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

try Alibaba/Aliexpress

Edit: Added the link.
    http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/cover-cases-for-android-tablet.html

Well lads unfortunately just cancelled my order from Hongkongeek for the Onda v972, still not in stock and no idea when it'll be in according to them. To be fair my money was pretty much instantly refunded so +1 to them on that, not their fault they couldn't get supplied. But I'm back to square one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

unklerosco wrote: »
    Would rather stick with Android, but you reminded me I bought one of those HP tablets during their firesale.. Thing is still in the box, just need to remember where the hell I left it!!!
    Haven't they found a way to get Android on that now IIRC?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

Got the one from the original poster, ok for 55 quid but wouldn't be paying much more than that for it and unfortunately, I did get stung for 17 euro from customs >.>

Don't get me wrong, there's no point paying 300+ for a Samsung or Apple, but the Nexus 7 is extremely good bang for your buck.

A similar model to the OPs, albeit with a worse processor, is currently on sale for ~ €38 from focalprice. (Use code JANCE0127X to get it at this price)

EDIT: Coupon now expired.

Double edit: Working again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭laurpat

A similar model to the OPs, albeit with a worse processor, is currently on sale for ~ €38 from focalprice. (Use code JANCE0127X to get it at this price)

EDIT: Coupon now expired.

Just managed to purchase with the discount code. Didn't get a chance to research much - I'm looking for it for a 3 year old to use for youtube etc. I'm sure it will be fine? BTW -thank you for the code

Yes, yes it will. Only bad things about it really are screen resolution and battery life.

Edit: Maybe a good idea to buy a screen protector too if it's for a 3 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭laurpat

Yes, yes it will. Only bad things about it really are screen resolution and battery life.

Edit: Maybe a good idea to buy a screen protector too if it's for a 3 year old.

Is this an ebay purchase or do i try Alibaba/Aliexpress ? I'm looking to get a skin for it and a screen protector. Is all tablets generic in size. Do i only have to look for a 7" skin/screen protector?

Sorry - I know it's prob a stupid Question but better be sure

Yeah you can get any generic 7 inch protector.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 boardzUser

Thinking of getting this. Is it worth the money or could i do better?
    Deal expires tonight.
    • 10.1"
    • 1024 x 600
    • 1GB RAM
    • Boxchip A10 1.2Ghz
    • Android 4.0
    • Micro SD Slot

http://megadeals.pigsback.com/megadeal/62803/award-winning-169-for-101-android-40-pulso-tablet-p10c-delivered-winner-of-tech-news-editors-choice-award

• Advertisement
Advertisement