Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

7 Inch AllWinner A13 1.5GHz Android 4.0 Tablet - €55.44

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

boardzUser wrote: »
    Thinking of getting this. Is it worth the money or could i do better?
    Deal expires tonight.
    • 10.1"
    • 1024 x 600
    • 1GB RAM
    • Boxchip A10 1.2Ghz
    • Android 4.0
    • Micro SD Slot

http://megadeals.pigsback.com/megadeal/62803/award-winning-169-for-101-android-40-pulso-tablet-p10c-delivered-winner-of-tech-news-editors-choice-award

I'm open to correction by someone more in the know, but my instinct is that it's not a great tablet for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

boardzUser wrote: »
    Thinking of getting this. Is it worth the money or could i do better?
    Deal expires tonight.
    • 10.1"
    • 1024 x 600
    • 1GB RAM
    • Boxchip A10 1.2Ghz
    • Android 4.0
    • Micro SD Slot

http://megadeals.pigsback.com/megadeal/62803/award-winning-169-for-101-android-40-pulso-tablet-p10c-delivered-winner-of-tech-news-editors-choice-award

I wouldn't go for it. I looked up which editor chose that.. :eek:

THESE GUYS - they look terrible. It looks like a marketing site set up to sell crap.. "Award Winning" Never heard of them ever.

There are 10.1 tablets better than that cheaper. Admittedly that may ship here quicker, but you would have similar hassle with any problems.
    A tablet from Hongkongeek should take 5 - 10 days to arrive, and while i have had some difference of opinions with some of their prices, they have taken back items from me and sent me a brand new one..

Any of these are better. Just as an example..

http://www.hongkongeek.es/google-android-tablets/1740-101-ainol-novo10-hero-cortex-a9-dual-core-15ghz-android-41-1gb-ddr3-bluetooth-16gb.html

http://www.hongkongeek.es/android-and-windows-tablets/1784-101-sanei-n10-dual-core-rk3066-16ghz-ips-android-41-1gb-hdmi-16gb.html

http://www.hongkongeek.es/capacitive-screen/1791-101-ployer-momo12-rk3066-dual-core-16ghz-android-41-1gb-ddr3-bluetooth-16gb.html

http://www.hongkongeek.es/2-screen/1304-101-cube-u30gt-rockchip-rk3066-dual-core-16ghz-android-41-1gb-ddr3-bluetooth-16gb.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11 boardzUser

Thanks for the replies. I held off on buying it while i do some more research.

Thanks for the links Allyall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭positron

oodles19 wrote: »
    Well lads unfortunately just cancelled my order from Hongkongeek for the Onda v972, still not in stock and no idea when it'll be in according to them. To be fair my money was pretty much instantly refunded so +1 to them on that, not their fault they couldn't get supplied. But I'm back to square one!

This seems to be in stock at onda-tablet site... they said pre-orders are going to fulfilled soon - not sure if that means every one waiting is going to get one though..

Is anyone able to view products menu or anything else on the HongKongeek site?

They seem to be having flash sales, but i have only noticed now. I can't see products.
    I can randomly click into some items, but can't see menu. I wouldn't mind being able to see what items are going to be on sale..

EDIT

Site back now, maybe they were/are preparing for sales. 1 item listed as in a flash sale, so not sure what's going on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

positron wrote: »
    This seems to be in stock at onda-tablet site... they said pre-orders are going to fulfilled soon - not sure if that means every one waiting is going to get one though..

Be VERY careful with them sort of sites. A lot of them are not 'official' sites and are just using the brand name to appear to be the official one.

Mentioned in a thread here:

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/33216-official-onda-website/

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭oodles19

eamonnq wrote: »
    Be VERY careful with them sort of sites. A lot of them are not 'official' sites and are just using the brand name to appear to be the official one.

Mentioned in a thread here:

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/33216-official-onda-website/
    Yeah I've read a few things about those sites, they seem a bit shady, definetely not the manufacturers anyway. I've reordered from Spemall, anyone heard anything about them? I checked a bit online and everything came up ok, the site seems pretty professional (pretty in-depth unboxing as well) and they appear to have stock:

http://www.spemall.com/Onda-V972-Allwinner-A31-Quad-Core-9-7inch-Retina-IPS-Screen-Dual-Camera-Tablet-PC-with-Android-4-1-1-OS-2G-RAM-16GB_g.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Yeah I've read a few things about those sites, they seem a bit shady, definetely not the manufacturers anyway. I've reordered from Spemall, anyone heard anything about them? I checked a bit online and everything came up ok, the site seems pretty professional (pretty in-depth unboxing as well) and they appear to have stock:

http://www.spemall.com/Onda-V972-Allwinner-A31-Quad-Core-9-7inch-Retina-IPS-Screen-Dual-Camera-Tablet-PC-with-Android-4-1-1-OS-2G-RAM-16GB_g.html

How quick do they ship to Ireland?

Yep, i used them a couple of times about a year ago. Once before ParcelMotel i tried to get through the UK - I wasn't thinkng about VAT, i just ordered, after having a small bit of trouble with the first order. Anyway, as to be expected, that caused a nightmare.

3rd time i ordered off them twice, and specified i wanted separate deliveries (That WAS for the VAT). Both arrived before the following Friday, (I think i ordered on a Wednesday or Thursday).

Depends on what mode you use. Courier takes 8 - 15 days. Chinese/Hong Kong/Singapore mail can take 21 - 40 days realistically.

They use UPS, DHL and FedEx.

Just got my shipping notification from FedEx, ordered the 11th, shipped the 15th, expected delivery date the 18th.
    Hope that helps...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Rysinh

Probably been discussed but are there any tablets that any of you would recommend for kids? 13 and under..

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Alainn Beauty MUA

any tips on prolonging the battery life of theses tablets , mine only lasts about 3 hours .i turn off wifi when not in use and dim the screen but dosnt make much difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Some kind of battery manager app to shut off wi-fi and power down everything possible when not in use, plenty in the Play store just read the reviews. Have a look around for appropriate ROMs to flash aswell, theres usually a better ROM than the stock ROM around somewhere that someone will have tweaked for better battery life. On these tablets battery life can improve a bit after a few charges and discharges, not by a huge amount though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Just out of curiousity, have you ordered from them? If so did you pay customs on delivery? They mention about claiming custom charges back on their website so just wondering if anyone has actually gotten custom charges on arrival.

I received my phone from HKG 2 weeks ago, no customs fees. HKG were also very good in replying to any queries I had.

Just out of curiousity, have you ordered from them? If so did you pay customs on delivery? They mention about claiming custom charges back on their website so just wondering if anyone has actually gotten custom charges on arrival.

I have ordered from them, and get whatever is ordered usually in less than 10 days.
    I paid customs once on delivery (out of a lot of orders over time), on an order that came over Christmas. That was unusual, i will get it back, i just have to scan the letter and email it to them. The price usually includes the VAT, which they pay DHL before they ship it.
    DHL have estimated (new items) how much it will be, and check it again when it gets to Ireland. If there are any additional costs they'll charge you. You get that back.

It's highly unlikely you will get charged anything, as they now know the prices on all of their items now. It's only brand new items that they estimate, but generally get it correct.

For example, you are only likely to get charged extra if you order
    (if you are ordering something like this, then contact them first.)

2 x Tablets @ €53
    1 x Tablet @ €78
    4 x TV Dongles @ €65

etc.. it's an unusual order, so they estimate the VAT and pay it, then when it arrives, if there are any additional costs you pay.

If you are just buying one tablet then no problem.

I haven't tried their cheap wholesale site as it seems to be just the price without VAT, and requires weird payment (Can't remember what).
    If it gets caught from there (Will always with DHL), you pay the HongKongeek price anyway. So it just cuts out the cr@p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Thanks for answers folks.
    I received my phone from HKG 2 weeks ago, no customs fees. HKG were also very good in replying to any queries I had.

Just saw those phones actually, did you have any problem getting it to run an Irish SIM card? First thoughts on the phone would you recommend getting one from HKG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

any tips on prolonging the battery life of theses tablets , mine only lasts about 3 hours .i turn off wifi when not in use and dim the screen but dosnt make much difference.

Might depend on which tablet you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

I ordered a V972 off them on Sunday too. They claim to have stock just in limited amounts. Mine still hasn't shipped so I doubt they have stock.

• Advertisement

Thanks for answers folks.

Just saw those phones actually, did you have any problem getting it to run an Irish SIM card? First thoughts on the phone would you recommend getting one from HKG?

My sim works fine. The phone I purchased the star b93 is simular to the galaxy 2. All the apps download and work fine. I've probably saved 200 euro by purchasing from HKG.

There are videis on you tube of all the phones. Check them out to see which ones you like.

aaronm13 wrote: »

I ordered a V972 off them on Sunday too. They claim to have stock just in limited amounts. Mine still hasn't shipped so I doubt they have stock.
    Mine is on the way with FedEx, have a tracking number and all, new delivery date is Monday, next hurdle is customs so we'll see how that goes! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

How do the likes of the V972 stack up against the mainstream tablets? Thinking of selling the ipad 2 to get one..

unklerosco wrote: »
    How do the likes of the V972 stack up against the mainstream tablets? Thinking of selling the ipad 2 to get one..
    I'll let you know on Monday! :-) V972 has better spec but Android is a bit of a compromise on tablets and who knows what the build quality will be like or how smoothly it'll run

Mine is on the way with FedEx, have a tracking number and all, new delivery date is Monday, next hurdle is customs so we'll see how that goes! :-)

Good stuff, hopefully mine will ship soon. How long where you waiting from time of order to dispatch? I see they got another load in today so fingers crossed. Hope you get by the customs.

Good stuff, hopefully mine will ship soon. How long where you waiting from time of order to dispatch? I see they got another load in today so fingers crossed. Hope you get by the customs.
    Ordered the 11th, shipped the 15th, so not too bad tbf, I'll let you know how it goes with the customs

• Advertisement

Ordered the 11th, shipped the 15th, so not too bad tbf, I'll let you know how it goes with the customs

Thanks, enjoy the tablet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I ordered the €50 tablet off hongkongeek whats the chances of getting the duty back?

They had it marked as photo frame lol

Well lads, the Onda v972 arrived there this morning from Spemall, no excise or VAT, woo-hoo, :-) Build quality is great, pretty much bang on feel to an ipad, fantastic screen, very fluid interface. It arrived with everything on english settings and with an irish plug adapter, very happy with it so far, actually typing this post on it!

Well lads, the Onda v972 arrived there this morning from Spemall, no excise or VAT, woo-hoo, :-) Build quality is great, pretty much bang on feel to an ipad, fantastic screen, very fluid interface. It arrived with everything on english settings and with an irish plug adapter, very happy with it so far, actually typing this post on it!
    Glad you're happy with it and it dodged customs. Mine should be here on Wednesday and I can't wait. There was a new update released in the last few days which is supposed to improve performance even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Could tell me why I had to pay tax if my phone was no more than USD50? Ordered it from Hong Kong, came with DHL, paid 20 euros. Is that a flat tax or something I wonder?

• Advertisement

padyjoe wrote: »
    Could tell me why I had to pay tax if my phone was no more than USD50? Ordered it from Hong Kong, came with DHL, paid 20 euros. Is that a flat tax or something I wonder?

$50 = €37 today, a month ago i think it was €40.

€20 seems a bit steep, i'd query it. Doubt you'll get anywhere. I try not to use DHL as often as i can. - In fact i won't use them except for something where the VAT is already accounted for. Even then, i try not to use them.
    They have a pricing system that randomly varies.
    That's nearly 50% of the of your item. Ring them and email them the receipt.

You're forgetting the handling fee. I think it's somewhere between €10-15 for DHL.

You're forgetting the handling fee. I think it's somewhere between €10-15 for DHL.

Isn't that usually included in the shipping cost when you use them? It may not be, but if not, that's a load of sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

If under €45 euro including shipping you shouldn't have paid anything. I was 5c over lately and the postman was rather embarassed to have to ask me for the money.

Allyall wrote: »
    Isn't that usually included in the shipping cost when you use them? It may not be, but if not, that's a load of sh*t.

No, it's the handling fee for them dealing with undeclared VAT/duty. All companies charge a fee on top of the customs if you are caught, including An Post.

paddyp wrote: »
    If under €45 euro including shipping you shouldn't have paid anything. I was 5c over lately and the postman was rather embarassed to have to ask me for the money.

I'm not sure where you are getting that number. If you are under €150 you don't have to pay duty, but if over €22 you still have to pay VAT.

Edit: Ah yes, €45 is a limit for a gift. I think they're cutting down on that a lot these days though.

No, it's the handling fee for them dealing with undeclared VAT/duty. All companies charge a fee on top of the customs if you are caught, including An Post.

I have often been caught for VAT/Duty, but only twice maybe DHL's extra charge.
    Saying that, i nearly always pay the courier delivery to get it here quicker. So that handling fee is new to me. I know it exists with An Post, but it's usually not much.

So if i buy a tablet for €75 pay DHL an additional €20 to ship it, pay the VAT on arrival (E.G. €15) , they can still charge me an additional handling fee?

That's new to me. I'd have refused it until now that i now about it. I'd still query it with them. I'd be very reluctant to pay that extra.

So a €75 tablet could cost me €140? :eek: I have never had that happen.. Are you sure?

More like €130, but yes, close enough. Have a read of the first post here.

I'm stumped. I have read that, and it's not really any clearer.

All i know is the only 2 times i have paid the extra DHL was when one came to exactly €150 + DHL shipping of €25.

The other, i can't really remember but it was a few small items, doubt it came to €50. I paid the VAT, and got stung for another €22. I was p*ssed off for the day, but forgot about it then after. Then DHL vat was random, or so i thought, and i stopped using them. I only use them now with HongKongeek and it works out good for me (so far)

I have a few items due to arrive this week, and HKG will cover the VAT if i get charged. I haven't experienced the handling before, but if i get asked for it, i'll be asking HKG for it back as VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Thanks for shedding some lights on it lads! TBH honest it was declared for 50 USD as a used item plus marked as a sample of no commercial value too. Obviously its value a bit more than that. The invoice states 20.something euro for vat and a couple of cents for DHL. I think I stop my investigation here it could have been worse.

• Advertisement

Glad you're happy with it and it dodged customs. Mine should be here on Wednesday and I can't wait. There was a new update released in the last few days which is supposed to improve performance even more.
    Word to the wise, the stock launcher was laggy/slow and froze a few times so I downloaded a new one from the play store and it sorted it completely...

Got my V972 yesterday. So impressions so far are pretty good. Screen is stunning. Software is ok just have to delete all the Chinese apps off it. Not everything works off the play store, Chrome for example says its not compatible with the device. This will hopefully improve when a community gets going for the tablet. I've seen a root guide which should sort out a lot of OS bugs. Going to give this a go over the weekend if I get a chance. Wifi isn't great, probably about the same strength as my One X. The speakers are surprisingly very good and much louder than an Ipad 2. The headphone jack is poor, which I did read about after I bought it. Tried three sets of earphones last night and only my Shure ones would work. Tried a HTC pair and a Panasonic pair and both had chronic interference. When volume is off there is a hissing sound in the earphones. Still have a lot of messing about to do with it but so far pretty happy, battery life is about four ish hours so far, hope this improves after a few charges. Not happy with Spemall. com though. I ordered the black version and they sent me the white, not bothered sending it back but annoying none the less. They also never sent an Irish plug, least I had one lying around. I'll email them and see what they have to say but not holding out much hope.

I got the Cube 30gt and love it. Cahnging the Rom on it seems a bit much so still have Chinese stuff on it.

Looking to get a cover for it, can anyone recommend one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If you dont want to change the ROM (you should though), you can still root it and it will let you uninstall that chinese bloatware like you can with normal apps.

Thargor wrote: »
    If you dont want to change the ROM (you should though), you can still root it and it will let you uninstall that chinese bloatware like you can with normal apps.
    Is that easy to do, I keep getting text messages from china?

Is that easy to do, I keep getting text messages from china?
    Ha ha.. :D Are you sure they aren't updates?

What model/make do you have?

Ha ha.. :D Are you sure they aren't updates?

What model/make do you have?
    Star b93m. Definately not updates, comes from a different number each time.

Star b93m. Definately not updates, comes from a different number each time.

That's odd.. Can you save them as a text file or Copy and paste them into google translate?

I don't know anything about a custom rom on that phone, but they are generally not too difficult to install, and many of them have excellent tutorials. You could look over at Modaco or similar forums.

That's odd.. Can you save them as a text file or Copy and paste them into google translate?

I don't know anything about a custom rom on that phone, but they are generally not too difficult to install, and many of them have excellent tutorials. You could look over at Modaco or similar forums.
    Must try the copy and paste trick.

I'll do a bit of research on them the weekend!

• Advertisement

Must try the copy and paste trick.

I'll do a bit of research on them the weekend!

Advertisement