Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a point in complaining? Chef licks cheese from fingers!

Options
  • 15-06-2012 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

So recently myself and my sister had to changeover in Limerick on the way to Galway. We had a half hour to spare so got some food in one of the restaurants by the station (not sure if I'm allowed say where specifically).

Anyway, we both ordered bagels with cream cheese and bacon. When we got them, we thought the cream cheese looked odd - lumpy, crusted and hard in areas and yellow. But we had a bite or two anyway. After a few bites I knew the cheese tasted really off and my sister agreed. We had literally only had about two to three bites each.

My sister, who is quite discreet, quietly told the waitress, not in earshot of anyone else, that the cheese tasted weird and seemed to be gone off. She referred us to the chef. I'm unsure if the chef was the manager or not. The chef shouted across the restaurant, in front of other customers, that she had never had any complaints before and that the cheese was fine. She then held up her hand - she had cheese on her fingers - and said, "I just dipped my hand in there and it's fine, tastes fine to me" and proceeded to lick her fingers. (Not into the cheese on our bagels, but rather the tub of cheese behind the counter).

At this point both myself and my sister were shocked and embarrassed. The chef repeated that there was nothing wrong with the cheese, she had never had issues before and offered to make us toast instead. I was starving but having just received food we felt was off we declined the offer and said it was fine and left.

We didn't ask for a refund as the demeanour of the chef seemed to indicate that she had no intention of refunding us or offering any kind of suitable recompense or redress. I was quite peeved as I'm a student without a job and I don't want to spend money on food that I can't eat.

I did feel a bit sick for the rest of the day too.

I was wondering if anyone thinks there is a point in sending a letter of complaint to the restaurant? Even for hygiene purposes: it obviously isn't acceptable to be sticking your UNGLOVED hand into food. As well as that, I felt the customer service was appalling. The way in which she dealt with the complaint was ridiculous, shouting across the restaurant. She didn't even entertain the idea that the cheese wasn't edible or that she should offer to reach a solution.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

contact the local HSE office and tell them what happened, they'll soon get a "random" visit from an Environmental Health Officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Follow the advice above and contact the local Environmental Health Officer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

contact the local HSE office and tell them what happened, they'll soon get a "random" visit from an Environmental Health Officer.
    the visits are never "random", when I worked in a restaurant we always knew a day or two in advance about a "random" visit

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

"UNGLOVED hand"

Gloves are useless the way most places use them if you ask me!

Gloves are not to keep your hands clean. No point serving the cash register, mopping up spills and preparing food wearing the same gloves!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Donkathon

that sounds sick, please report them

there is a country chipper in redcross co.wicklow and walked out of the place without my food because of it

the first warning sign should have been seeing the waitress from the next door pub bring in pint bottles of bulmers and pints of ice and handing them to the owner who clearly looked like he had more than a few as it was and still working

went ahead and ordered the food and I had ordered chicken nuggets for the kids and to my horror i was looking over the counter and he had just taken the nuggets out of the fryer and then with no gloves not that it matter he decides to have a right long scratch of his nuts then proceeds to pick the nuggets up with his hands and bags them

he turned around and asked "salt & vinager?" said no thanks with a discusted look on my face and walked out. no way i was paying a penny for crabs we didnt order

• Advertisement
Advertisement