Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If the FAI issued an ultimatum - LOI & National Team

• 15-06-2012 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭

Let's suppose for a second that the FAI decided after the Euros to issue an ultimatum to fans that the LOI needed to be better supported or it would be canned, meaning that Ireland could not have a national team by UEFA and FIFA rules, would you start going to LOI games?

It's never going to happen and we all know it, but I'm curious to see whether people would support their national team to such an extent that they'd actually go out of their way to start taking in LOI games if the alternative meant no international football...

*NOTE: ANYONE WHO REGULARLY ATTENDS LOI GAMES PLEASE DON'T VOTE*

Would you attend LOI games to save the national team? 28 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 28 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭podge018

so anybody who already goes shouldn't vote in this or else it skews it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

No, a hour and a half drive to Limerick, and I don't drive so I couldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

As it would never happen, no I wouldn't go anymore, I don't like ultimatums.

I attend as regualrly as I can, am a season ticket holder anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

We could support england fulltime then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

We could be like Liechtenstein.

Have a couple of Dublin teams in an Open Cup to get a UEFA spot.

Sligo could groundshare with Ballinamallard Utd and play in the IFA league.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Great idea - every league of Ireland ground in the country could be turned into a superstore for English Premier League replica jerseys and accessories.

We don't need a domestic league.

We need Man Utd sovereign rings and Leeds Utd Tricolours.

And we don't need an international team - we can follow England - a real team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

There's nothing Irish people respond to better than being told what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It'll never happen, its a really stupid question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

eagle eye wrote: »
    It'll never happen, its a really stupid question.

it'll likely never happen, correct, however it SHOULD happen for the sake of the domestic game

poll so far shows how great the fans are though doesnt it

kitakyushu wrote: »
    There's nothing Irish people respond to better than being told what to do.

yeah, look at all that backlash from the last few years...

oh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Yeah I would but unfortunately the local club got refused the license to compete in the LoI due to grounds not being up to their standards (I think that was the case). No funding what so ever so how can they expect to expand the game around the country and get it to grow? A joke really and only themselves to blame for a **** league and national team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

More people going to games > more revenue > better facilities / better players > more success on pitch > more people going to games.

Unfortunately some people have to look across the water for their football, and do not look on their own doorstep.

Some have looked, and expressed their opinion either way, others express their opinion without ever being to a Airtricity League match.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Helix wrote: »
    it'll likely never happen, correct, however it SHOULD happen for the sake of the domestic game

More a reflection of the tendency of others to reject coercion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

League will never catch on here whilst the Prem exists. No standard would be good enough for the Irish public.

But it would be nice we had a mini-Holland operation where we could develop our own players and hang onto right into senior international level before they move to England in their early 20s rather than at 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I'm curious to see whether people would support their national team to such an extent that they'd actually go out of their way to start taking in LOI games if the alternative meant no international football...

You live in Toronto, and you are demanding that people go to League of Ireland games?

Skid wrote: »
    You live in Toronto, and you are demanding that people go to League of Ireland games?

point out where i demanded anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

point out where i demanded anything?

It's clear from the tone of your OP.

Ridiculous thread anyway, I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

We could abolish the GAA. Thats the reason the LOI went downhill. Imagine how our league would be if the GAA never existed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Seems a silly question to me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

If they cut out the red tape re clubs trying to enter the league,my nearest LOI side Tralee Dynamos who play in the A Championship for the past 3 years tried to enter Division 1 this season but the facilities weren't up to the standard,Kerry is a mad soccer county and the progress thats been made is great and badly needs LOI soccer to give the young lads something to aim for,I have gone to a few of the A championship games and if they get into Division 1 il be attending again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

It's not a silly question, it's a perfectly valid hypothetical question.

To answer the op - yes, but I don't need an ultimatum. I'm on the other side of the planet now but I've made the decision to properly get into LOI when I get back next year.

This is mostly based on the realisation that as long as our domestic league is a poor standard, our national team will struggle.

I've also incurred a self imposed ban on my right to criticise our inability to produce decent players until I've at least done my bit to support the Irish game. :P

About the only positive I can take from the last few years of watching Ireland play is that it has opened my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,082 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I do think that Season Ticket holders at LoI clubs should have first refusal on Ireland tickets though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

all 36 that have voted ye mean?

and why SHOULD it happen tbh?
    why should people be essentially be blackmailed into going to LOI games?

event wrote: »
    all 36 that have voted ye mean?

and why SHOULD it happen tbh?
    why should people be essentially be blackmailed into going to LOI games?

nobody is saying it should happen, or anything like it :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

NIMAN wrote: »
    I do think that Season Ticket holders at LoI clubs should have first refusal on Ireland tickets though.

It's not like Ireland tickets are difficult to get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Skid wrote: »
    Apparently he's a season ticket holder, so it's ok that he doesn't go to games :pac:

nobody is saying it should happen, or anything like it :confused:

:confused:

Apparently he's a season ticket holder, so it's ok that he doesn't go to games :pac:

you need to learn to read

why would i still be a season ticket holder when i live thousands of miles away?

event wrote: »
    :confused:

it should happen that people go, not that the FAI issue an ultimatum

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It's not like Ireland tickets are difficult to get

There's always a game every now and again where tickets are like gold dust. Either a play-off or a big game such as the upcoming qualifier v Germany. Do you think tickets will be easy to get for that?

Anyway, I was just trying to show that the FAI should incentivise being a LoI supporter.

it should happen that people go, not that the FAI issue an ultimatum
    You have to have a product that people want. This constant moaning on here that Irish people don't support the LoI is ridiculous.

Its the same as any business, the better the product the more that want it. If you don't have a very good product you will struggle to make a living and probably end up selling your business or going bust. Its up the clubs and the league to attract the public. You cannot expect anybody to buy something they don't like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There's always a game every now and again where tickets are like gold dust. Either a play-off or a big game such as the upcoming qualifier v Germany. Do you think tickets will be easy to get for that?

Anyway, I was just trying to show that the FAI should incentivise being a LoI supporter.

Agree to an extent but it would be more valid if any LOI player made the national team.
    Also it is not difficult to get an international season ticket so if the theoretical LOI season ticket holder wanted one he would have it already.

Not sure how to incentivise LOI tbh but I think a merger with the IFA is one way forward. Folowing on from that some sort of Celtic League with Ire, NI, Scotland and Wales entering teams.
    There are too many associations looking out for their own self interests for that to happen though

Sometimes LoI clubs supply a good product and still fans won't come.

As a Derry City season ticket holder I had the pleasure of watching the likes of James McClean, Paddy McCourt, Niall McGinn and Danny Lafferty over recent years.

I would often tell people about McClean.

He moved to the EPL, and suddenly your work colleagues start saying, "Jez that McClean boy is great, some player".

Yeah, thats the guy who was playing every 2nd week a few miles away and you wouldn't go to watch him.

LoI clubs are p1ssing against the wind a lot of the time.

There's always a game every now and again where tickets are like gold dust.
    The LOI team supporters don't seem to have any interest in the national team, so giving them tickets would be a waste.

You have to have a product that people want. This constant moaning on here that Irish people don't support the LoI is ridiculous.

Its the same as any business, the better the product the more that want it. If you don't have a very good product you will struggle to make a living and probably end up selling your business or going bust. Its up the clubs and the league to attract the public. You cannot expect anybody to buy something they don't like.

the irish national team doesnt have a very good product and people seem to have no bother going to those games

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Agree to an extent but it would be more valid if any LOI player made the national team.

tbh, I can't ever see a LoI based player getting a cap without becoming a professional in another country first.

International managers will never consider them to be playing at a high enough level.

But remember that quite a few Irish international came through the LoI first before moving on.

The LOI team supporters don't seem to have any interest in the national team, so giving them tickets would be a waste.

Nonsense.

Nonsense.
    Really? Quite a few of the LOI heads on here (Helix included) have openly admitted they have no interest in the national setup.

I'd have to say that most football fans in Ireland would have a big interest in their national team.

Really? Quite a few of the LOI heads on here (Helix included) have openly admitted they have no interest in the national setup.

i wouldnt class myself as an LOI head to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

/adds unreasonable hypothetical doomsday scenario poll coercion to already arms-length list of excuses not to go to a football match.

tbh, I can't ever see a LoI based player getting a cap without becoming a professional in another country first.

International managers will never consider them to be playing at a high enough level.

But remember that quite a few Irish international came through the LoI first before moving on.

I can see the rationale in that if they have not proved themselves at a high enough level then they should not be near a national team. However that argument fails when you see the Mcshane, Green or St Ledger in the national setup.
    What level would the LoI be at now? Are we talking English League 1/2? or would it be lower again?

I think it is fast catching Scotland but just because the standard in falling there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

TBH, if such a situation was ever likely to arise, I wonder if the FAI would ever consider the approach the IRFU took. There's a market for more than 4 teams, but a sort of provincial structure with someone at the top ultimately guiding how the entire professional game in the country (right up to the national team) is played. I know there'd be issues in terms of controlling interests in multiple teams, and in the FAI actually being in charge of running anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Utterly pointless solution.

A far better solution would be to invest in coaching at youth and grassroots level. Put together a clear picture as to how the national team can perform and get players playing in that mould from a very young age.

Generate better standards amongst the playing cohort and the rest falls into place.

The LoI is fighting a losing battle as most football Irish fans are obsessed with British football teams.

You have to have a product that people want. .

Like Blackburn's product?

the irish national team doesnt have a very good product and people seem to have no bother going to those games

in fairness, people feel connected to the irish team.

look at the Premier Division - Bohs, Rovers, Shels, Pats, UCD (Dublin), Dundalk, Drogheda (Louth), Bray, Cork, Derry, Monaghan, Sligo.

in the 1st - Athlone, Finn Harps (donegal), Limerick, Longford, Mervue, Salthill (Galway) Waterford, Wexford,

so thats 20 clubs from 14 counties.
    Some people have no connection with LOI clubs and dont support them.

(im sure at this point, people will chime in with the usual argument that they have no connection to english teams either. But exposure is the simple answer there, they saw them on tv at a young age or were influenced by others).

People will generally always support their national team at any sport, thats not really an issue tbh.

You just don't get it do you? The media are talking about them regularly so obviously they have a popular product. You won't find stuff in the papers that doesn't interest people so clearly they have a good product. It could be better though but thats another discussion.

stovelid wrote: »
    Like Blackburn's product?
    Blackburn's attendances have been falling since the new owners and Steve Kean came in. They were averaging up around 24k per game but that has dropped down to 21k now I think and it'll be no more than 15k per game in the Championship. People lose interest when there is no success and the football is dire.

People lose interest when there is no success and the football is dire.

Following on from your previous hypothesis, is not to time to move on and embrace Barcelona?

stovelid wrote: »
    Following on from your previous hypothesis, is not to time to move on and embrace Barcelona?
    Who me? I have followed Rovers for 25 years and while its hard at the moment with the way the club is being ran I'll stick with them. I do understand though that there are people who won't go to Championship games because it doesn't interest them and will just about glance at the results in the paper.

I followed the LoI for years too but when they put Louis Kilcoyne in charge of the FAI it was just too much for me. What he did to Shamrock Rovers was disgraceful and for him then to be given that job was just sickening. I've never went back because there is nothing to draw me back to the game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement