Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop on HDMI screen as default

Options
  • 15-06-2012 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

I have a dell laptop here but the screen is fooked on it, Somebody in my family let it fall and tried to catch it by the screen resulting in it bleeding out.

My latest idea is to connect the laptop to my HD TV via HDMI and use a wireless keyboard and mouse.

My only problem is the screen on the laptop is unreadable so how can I set my TV to be the default screen?

Has anyone any idea on how to do this via the keyboard or any other solution I can use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Fn + one of the F-keys?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Cool thanks will give that a go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I think its Fn and F8.Thats the case on my laptop anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭Schorpio

If the laptop is running Windows 7, hold the windows key, press "P" 4 times, and then release the Windows key. Else Fn + F8 should do it. Also, if you plug in the HDMI when the laptop is off, most graphics cards are smart enough to enable the the display by default when the laptop is turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

As schorpio said, Win+P will do it. Just keep hitting P until you get to the option to use the external display only.

• Advertisement

Right bit of a nightmare,

So the laptop is actually VGA not hdmi. Is it still the same case?

Iam trying the last hour to hook it up to an external moniter but It hasnt been turned on in weeks so am trying to power up and time how long it would take to get to the logon screen. The hard drive is spinning up and then stoppin when am entering the password (at least i think am entering the password.)

The external monitor is showing no video input and I cant see whats goin on with the laptop!!!

Is there any way of switching the monitors before the login screen loads??

Okay I made some success, I turned on the laptop and closed the lid resulting in it booting up straight to my external monitor, unfortunately now it is displaying

" the last attempt to resume the system from its previous location failed. Attempt to resume again?"

Only problem is I dont have a keyboard!!!! Grrr

When I open the lid the monitor turns off and the keyboard on the laptop does not seem to be responding?

Any ideas??

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

External keyboard?

I wish it was that simple! Only one i have is a ps2 connection and the laptop doesnt have the slot

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

K, the attempting resume is just coming back from a hibernate, so its no biggie, just boot fresh.

Next thing is, boot it, screen up and VGA connected, wait a while to make sure it loads into windows as far as it will, then hold fn and hit the display key, usually f8(a few time, press, wait 2, press, wait 2....):
    2010-09-02_005439_dell2.JPG
    That'll get you external display and you can use the integrated keyboard.

• Advertisement

Went and bought a keyboard this morning so all sorted now i think, thanks guys!

Advertisement