Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA in Media Production

Options
  • 15-06-2012 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Evenin' all,

Was accepted into the 1 year degree in Media Production on Tuesday. I know it's officially an accredited course by DCU but I'm just wondering if this means you can access DCU's facilities and join their societies? My friend reckon's that you can but he's not certain, anyone know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Fergality

This is true, according to the BAmpm web site. There's some good info on the degree there

http://bampm.wordpress.com/about/news-2-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Clareh123

You get a DCU student number and student card, you are a student in both ballyfermot and DCU. I just used the library which was handy, I don't know anyone who joined societies but I don't see why you couldn't, except that you'll have feck all time for that kind of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Tenks

Oh really? I was told the course was very full-on but I assumed every course would tell you that. :P

It's 24 hours per week of classes whearas a HND is only 16 (I think). It is very full on but it's just a matter of being organised and managing your time or it just piles up. Inevitably you'll have a few all nighters, even if you are on top of things. But it is a brilliant year, the tutors are really sound and in my class everyone got on so well and helped each other out a lot, I think that's what helped us all get through it. I'm sad to be finished! Enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jd2010

Hi Clareh123,

I got accepted in to the course for this year. I've heard it's a ton of hard work. I also work too so it will be hard to balance everything. What was your timetable like? Any short days or was the 24 hours of classes spread out evenly every day?

Thanks

• Advertisement

A good few people in my class worked part-time and I think they found it quite difficult but still got through it. It really is a steep learning curve in time management. I don't have my timetable handy but I had three 9am starts and two 10am starts. The latest I finished was 4pm and the earliest was 2pm , and there was an hour long lunch every day except Wednesday. The three class groups each have a different timetable but I don't think anyone had a ridiculously short or long day. Good luck with the course, you'll have moments when you wonder what you got yourself into but it is honestly worth the challenge!

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like hard work but it would be great to get through it. My only reservation is I would have to miss a day here and there due to work and this would put me at a big disadvantage. I'd say the assignments are full on from the start...

They're not ridiculously strict on attendance, there were people who missed quite a lot of class and they might not have got amazing grades but got on grand. Just ask someone for the notes to catch up, a couple of subjects have all the notes on moodle too. I think the key for everyone in my class was just helping each other out. We had a facebook page for the class where people could ask questions, like if they missed an assignment brief or didn't understand something in class. Get into that spirit of cooperating and helping each other early on and you will have a much easier year.

The other thing I would say to you is if you go in with the perception that it's gonna be ridiculously hard, it will be. Assignment briefs use fancy wording which gets people panicked and they over complicate things in their heads. Don't let the jargon freak you out.

It's really not a hard course, just a good bit of work. But you get more efficient as you go along and you learn tricks. I usually only read beginning and end of those really long journal articles and book chapters they try and make you read (the middle is mostly waffle), and sometimes used google books to search for a key word, threw the relevant quote into into my assignment and referenced the book (nobody knows you didn't hunt it down in the library and comb the index).

The one subject where I did all the readings (in full) for was cultural studies- if you put time into that subject it's really interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I just finished that course too, its not nearly as scary as they make out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rollym

You'll have a great year. Well worth the challenge and the lecturers are dead sound. I'm going to miss it somewhat.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the insight everyone. If anyone is looking to sell their old books etc, pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Hi folks,

I have an interview next week for this course and am looking for some advice. If anyone can help me in regards what is expected at the interview regarding presentation etc then I would be really grateful. I have my media project idea but I am not sure what they are looking for regarding how I present it. Any advice regarding this and what to expect from the interview will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

In my interview they just asked things like what I wanted to get out of the course, future career plans, if I'm prepared for the heavy workload and so on. It's important to read up about the course and show you know the different subjects, maybe say which ones you'd be most interested in and looking forward to studying. It might also be an idea to show them you're already thinking about your dissertation, maybe tell them an area where you're particularly interested in doing research.

For my media project pitch I just typed up a few paragraphs on an A4 sheet and read from it, and I think I gave a copy to each of the two interviewers. Also you don't have to be able to do every part of it, you can have as many people helping you as you want- the whole point of it is learning how to manage a media project, not do one on your own. All you need is a brief description, how you'll do it, your goals, who your sponsor and stakeholders might be. No need for Powerpoint or anything!

Good luck with the interview, it's a great course!

I'm not familiar with the illustration course but usually people do something related to their previous course and what they want to do in their career (having said that I studied print journalism and ended up doing a radio documentary!). A lot of people do things like a magazine, booklet, website, music video, radio doc, radio drama, promotional package for a band...

The main thing I would say is to have a client/sponsor in mind, for example you might know somebody starting a company who needs a website designed, a band that needs some promotional material designed for an album release, an organasation (charity or otherwise) that needs a booklet or something designed to highlight something. And even if you don't know anyone who needs that kind of thing done you can just make it up, you're not expected to carry out the project you pitch in the interview. Remember you're the coordinator so even if you were designing a magazine or something you could say you're going to reach out to the journalism students for the written content.

You can also be your own client, I think I heard of someone making a portfolio for their media project. Also just mind the scope isn't too big for the time you have, and show you've thought about the practicalities etc.

Good luck :)

I wouldn't worry that much about the 'when' as long as it's something that can be done within the time frame. But yeah you'd talk about what has to be done, who will be doing what, what outcomes the website will achieve for the client and maybe some obstacles you might face and how you would deal with then.

Advertisement