Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat scratching her fur off

• 15-06-2012 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

my cat has scratched herself bald on her back between her shoulder blades and seems to be grooming herself a lot

i gave her frontline spot on two weeks ago so she shouldn't have fleas..

she had a similar reaction to stronghold spot on but it was shortly after application not two weeks later

anyone any ideas what may be causing this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

lolo62 wrote: »
    my cat has scratched herself bald on her back between her shoulder blades and seems to be grooming herself a lot

i gave her frontline spot on two weeks ago so she shouldn't have fleas..

she had a similar reaction to stronghold spot on but it was shortly after application not two weeks later

anyone any ideas what may be causing this

It's probably best to have a vet take a look at her, just to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

It could also be a flea allergy, or more precisely, flea poop allergy :P
    This greatly increases the irritation caused by the fleas and can result in increased scratching.
    Your vet can diagnose this. Our cat has this and untreated the summer months are really bad and she would have scratched off her fur under the chin and on her head.
    She now goes on very low level Prednisolone for the summer months (usually starting in June, but this summer being very bad indeed, it hasnt been needed yet. The only good thing this so-called summer, lol.
    I have an open prescription with my vet and i only need to pop in for refills as he trusts me now to know the dose that works best for her (as established over the last few years)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

Is this beside or very close to where a collar is or was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

thanks for the replies guys!

just had her at the vet last week for a bite so trying to hold off if i can...she has stopped scratching since so ive put it down to one of two things

flea allergy as you say morgana...she is a sensitive cat so wouldnt be surprised if thats it...

another possibility is allergy to whiskas temptations...i only gave her those for the first time two days previous to scratching so it could also have been that

she doesnt wear a collar but the scratching is where her last flea treatment was so it could be her 'go to' spot for agitated scratching..
    she had scratched above her eyes bald too during the heat wave and the vet said it was agitation

will be keeping a close eye on her and if the scratching starts again ill get to the vet asap

Advertisement