Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual Qualifications For Students To Take Up?

Options
  • 15-06-2012 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey I got myself a job for summer and I am working away but I found that I want to update my cv with some qualifications that would stand out. The two qualifications I have at the moment are a First Aid course and a football coaching course complete , both by official bodies for their respective hobbies.

I want to get a lifeguarding course complete this summer and hopefully do a snowboarding instructor course in the next few years. Is there any other similar qualifications that would be possible to obtain that you mightn't get a full career out of but something unique and that would make you stand out.

Preferably they would be in the computer or sports qualifications but I am up for any suggestions !

Thanks in advance.

P.S Not sure if this is the right forum for it?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What field/industry are you hoping to work in OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Sign language?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tallont

@Stheno I am doing a degree in Computing at the moment but the qualifications I would be looking for wouldn't have to be related to my career just to experience different things and have a qualification really. Was hoping to do some contract work during the year and teach skiing or snowboarding in the winter , money wouldn't be great and I dont mind that as long as the lifestyles good! :)

@Fran79 ah thanks thats a good one , il definitely look into that !

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

OP if you are going to do the lifeguard course then you should try to do the Swim Teachers one aswell. Looks good on a cv, shows good communication, organisation, leadership and management skills.
    I know its along the same lines as the football coach one, but not sure if you have to make lesson plans and the likes for that. Any of the coaching course i've done have been a walk in the park by comparison to teachers ones.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Ancient Greek always was a conversation point during IT job interviews for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I don't think you should fill your CV with unrelated qualifications.

When I see CVs like that it makes me think "this person doesn't know what she wants to be doing with herself, so she may not stick around".

If you want a career in computing it would make sense to have computing qualifications on your CV. For example, Zend certification, Linux certification, that sort of thing.

But by all means do other courses and enjoy your hobbies; I just don't think it is good to have a schizo CV.

Not everyone will think like me though so obviously do what you want to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,344 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No harm in having a range of interests, but that is what they are, rather than qualifications. I would not put them with your professional qualifications, mention them in passing in your interests section. More to the point if you did a course in something computer related to add to your qualifications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

looksee wrote: »
    No harm in having a range of interests, but that is what they are, rather than qualifications. I would not put them with your professional qualifications, mention them in passing in your interests section. More to the point if you did a course in something computer related to add to your qualifications.

This is what I was trying to say. :)

Advertisement