Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bids on a property - question

Options
  • 15-06-2012 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I went to view a house today and while there (was with my parents) we asked did they have any other houses on the market in the general area of where I was looking. He said there was another house that was on the market for 225k and that he had 2 offers on it - 190k and 192k - he said that the price would only go up. I'm just beginning to wonder did he make these two offers up in the hope that I would view the house and then offer more? I find it hard to believe that he'd make up an offer of 35k less than the asking price though.

I have still however made an appointment to see the property on Monday - it's really nice! But my limit would be 180k I reckon.

Would appreciate any advice/opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

leahyl wrote: »
    Hi all,

I went to view a house today and while there (was with my parents) we asked did they have any other houses on the market in the general area of where I was looking. He said there was another house that was on the market for 225k and that he had 2 offers on it - 190k and 192k - he said that the price would only go up. I'm just beginning to wonder did he make these two offers up in the hope that I would view the house and then offer more? I find it hard to believe that he'd make up an offer of 35k less than the asking price though.

I have still however made an appointment to see the property on Monday - it's really nice! But my limit would be 180k I reckon.

Would appreciate any advice/opinions

It's been said on other threads, but worth repeating:-

Don't stress over whether EAs bids are real or not. Decide what the property is worth to you and base your would be bids on that. If it's below what level EA is directing you to, tell him you're not interested in bidding at that level, but if bids fall through you're interested in putting in a bid at €180k or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Duckjob wrote: »
    It's been said on other threads, but worth repeating:-

Don't stress over whether EAs bids are real or not. Decide what the property is worth to you and base your would be bids on that. If it's below what level EA is directing you to, tell him you're not interested in bidding at that level, but if bids fall through you're interested in putting in a bid at €180k or whatever.

Ok, many thanks for your reply! These agents would wreck your head:o

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Roxee

Hi Leahyl. I had a similar worry recently.

Had an interesting conversation with a friend who used work in an estate agents' office. She made the point that established agents really don't tend to make up bids. It's too risky, it's immoral, and most importantly, it actually goes against an oath that EA's take when joing the IAVI.

This is what I understood from it anyway, someone might be able to fill in.

Regardless of this, I'd echo the previous reply - ignore it. You can only pay what you can pay. Set your own limits and stick to it. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Roxee wrote: »
    Hi Leahyl. I had a similar worry recently.

Had an interesting conversation with a friend who used work in an estate agents' office. She made the point that established agents really don't tend to make up bids. It's too risky, it's immoral, and most importantly, it actually goes against an oath that EA's take when joing the IAVI.

This is what I understood from it anyway, someone might be able to fill in.

Regardless of this, I'd echo the previous reply - ignore it. You can only pay what you can pay. Set your own limits and stick to it. Best of luck!

Cheers Roxee :) was thinking that myself tbh. Ah well I'm still gonna go see it - sure you'd never know, as previous poster said, offer could fall through and they might go with mine....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I wouldnt believe 2 words from from an EA's mouth, even if they were "Thank You":rolleyes: I bracket them with car salesmen:(. Its a buyer's market and YOU set the value that any particular dwelling is to you, and you only.

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    Cheers Roxee :) was thinking that myself tbh. Ah well I'm still gonna go see it - sure you'd never know, as previous poster said, offer could fall through and they might go with mine....

Definitely! You really can't tell how it's going to pan out, honestly. I had a dramatic finish when I was bidding on house. Other bidders delayed for the guts of a week. I was certain they would outbid me and they didn't.

Just plan your moves carefully and most of all be nice and straigtforward and patient and polite with the EA. It paid off for me in the end, I think.

Also, take family and friends' advice, but don't forget, it's not their money. It's your money and your life. So go with your own gut. You know best for you :)

Loads of advice to be had on this thread so just stick up questions if you have them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

It's too risky, it's immoral, and most importantly, it actually goes against an oath that EA's take when joing the IAVI.

I used to work in an office with 20 sales people (EAs are sales people).

Sales people will say anything to make the sale... morals or oaths don't come into it.

Best to just stick to whatever price you are comfortable with. Property is still overpriced in Ireland so it's really just a waiting game at this stage.

I used to work in an office with 20 sales people (EAs are sales people).

Sales people will say anything to make the sale... morals or oaths don't come into it.

Well maybe I got lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Well maybe I got lucky.

Well they can't all be evil... I hope! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Look at houses in the area ,on daft ie.Whats the average price for a 3bed house.
    if you think its worth 180 ,bid 180 ,see what happens.
    IN most areas prices have gone down 50- 70 per cent.
    IF they ask for 190 plus just say 180 is my limit.
    theres plenty of houses for sale.

• Advertisement
Advertisement