Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ducks in captivity?

• 15-06-2012 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭

I wasnt sure where to put this :confused::o

Keep a long story short Im meeting a farmer at the weekend whos going to sort me out with some free ducks. These will be full grown ducks.

The garden is 6 acres but its going to take me a few months to get the place completely fox proof.

Until then I have an old dog run that I plan on putting them into. Its not ideal but it will only be for a few months.

Question is this:

WHat breed of duck would do well in captivity?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Ducks do well as long as they have access to water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

My garden backs onto a lake, so no worries there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Mike87 wrote: »
    My garden backs onto a lake, so no worries there.

Watch out for Mr. Mink!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

ducks will do fine anywhere, dont even need water.

would you be interested in letting your local gun club rear ducks on your land? A neighbour of mine does it and he loves it. just a thought

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

My club hasnt the money for that, or so they say. I mentioned it at the AGM about a few ducks and they werent interested. WOuldnt mind a bit of duck shooting myself, getting mighty sick of pheasants.

Ive got the mink well taken care manoffeeling. Just the damn foxes I cant keep on top of them at all. JUst when you think you've finally nailed them all another one turns up :mad:

It's a pity about the gun club. Our local club bought 50 ducklings a few year back. One of the members has a mini digger so they made an artificial pond and fenced it really well. The only problem was that they wouldn't leave the pond when reared!! Paddy was feeding them too well!! When they did leave, they brought a nice dimension to the area. I don't think any were shot after. I stand open to correction.

Advertisement