Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands you want to see live

Options
  • 15-06-2012 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Thread in Music gave me the idea for this one.

As opposed to the "All the bands you 'never' saw live" thread I thought I would start one for acts we are hoping to see before they pack it in.

I'll try list my essentials, as there are dozens of bands I want to see but certain ones I may only get a few more chances.

A few off the top of my head....

Kate Bush - highly unlikely, but I can always keep dreaming

Paul McCartney - never heard a bad word about his performances, and only ever played Ireland 4 times:eek:

Neil Young - the godfather of grunge, has a few more years left in him

KISS - put on a mad, crazy, traditional rock 'n' roll show that I missed the last time they played in the O2

Guns 'n' Roses - what I've heard from the last O2 gig is starting to make me change my mind, even though it never will be the same as the golden age

Beach Boys - if they play EP I AM getting a ticket

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

Chemical Brothers. Missed them twice. argh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Guns N Roses - I mean the real Guns N Roses , not Axl and friends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

aslan and going to see them too..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Neil Young
    He's my favourite and I probably won't get that many more chances to see him live so I'll definitely be going to see him whenever he comes here next.

The Flaming Lips
    I've become a huge fan of these in the last few months and they're supposed to be one of the best live acts in the world

Radiohead
    I've been a big fan of them for years and for a good while they were my favourite band so I would love to see them in person.

My Bloody Valentine
    Just to hear anything from Loveless played live would be amazing. I'd have to make sure to bring ear plugs with me though.

Yuck
    My favourite new band and their debut is my favourite album from last year. They have the exact kind of sound that I love. I actually had the chance to see them play too but missed it. I saw Thurston Moore in the Button Factory last year and it was only on the day of the gig that I found out that Yuck had played there the night before.

Sonic Youth
    Like I already said, I've seen Thurston play solo but to see the whole band together would be fantastic.

Dinosaur Jr.
    J Mascis is one of my favourite guitarists and You're Living All Over Me is one of my favourite albums. They have a new album coming out later in the year so hopefully they'll come over here to support it.

Manic Street Preachers
    Another one of my favourite bands. They also seem to be a great live act.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Van Halen
    Motley Crue
    Pearl Jam
    Offspring
    Alter Bridge
    Chemical Brothers
    Daft Punk
    Steel Panther
    Rise Against

To name a few

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Pearl jam(for the 30th time)
    animal collective
    daft punk
    explosions in the sky
    janes addiction
    of montreal

etc

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭tattykitty

Vallenfyre
    Sisters of Mercy (missed Eldritch when he played a while back)
    Paradise Lost (specifically headlining in Dublin - seen 'em in the UK)
    Corrosion of Conformity (with Pepper Keenan)
    System of a Down
    Bjork
    Zoe Keating (saw her once as support for Amanda Palmer - would love to see her doing a headline show)
    Oomph

I'd love to have seen Type O Negative, but alas, that's not going to happen now that Pete's dead. :(

Aerosmith would probably be good fun...they're playing in Toronto while I'm there but the tickets are extortionate. I'm not that keen to relive my teenage years. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭fincollins

Suas11 wrote: »
    Neil Young
    He's my favourite and I probably won't get that many more chances to see him live so I'll definitely be going to see him whenever he comes here next.

The Flaming Lips
    I've become a huge fan of these in the last few months and they're supposed to be one of the best live acts in the world

Radiohead
    I've been a big fan of them for years and for a good while they were my favourite band so I would love to see them in person.

My Bloody Valentine
    Just to hear anything from Loveless played live would be amazing. I'd have to make sure to bring ear plugs with me though.

Yuck
    My favourite new band and their debut is my favourite album from last year. They have the exact kind of sound that I love. I actually had the chance to see them play too but missed it. I saw Thurston Moore in the Button Factory last year and it was only on the day of the gig that I found out that Yuck had played there the night before.

Sonic Youth
    Like I already said, I've seen Thurston play solo but to see the whole band together would be fantastic.

Dinosaur Jr.
    J Mascis is one of my favourite guitarists and You're Living All Over Me is one of my favourite albums. They have a new album coming out later in the year so hopefully they'll come over here to support it.

Manic Street Preachers
    Another one of my favourite bands. They also seem to be a great live act.

You sir/madam have a great taste in music!! :pac:

I've been lucky enough to see all those ppl live, and I have to say they're nearly all in my top gigs....bar Yuck actually. Saw them twice and both times was semi disappointing. The sound was crap too tho.

My list would be Mars Volta, Van Morrison, and Soundgarden. Technically theyr all touring this year- so i really have no excuse.

I'll surely think of more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Smashing Pumpkins - missed them the last time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The Flaming Lips

First time I saw them it was great. But their live show suffers from diminishing returns. The 2nd and 3rd time I was just underwhelmed.
    Radiohead

My Bloody Valentine

Sonic Youth

Dinosaur Jr.

These bands are all fantastic live, grab any chance you can to see them. Although seeing Sonic Youth might not happen now that Thurston and Kim have divorced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Neil Young
    Incredible, mad genius. Check out the insanity from 9 mins.

Radiohead
    One of the worst gigs Ive ever seen by a big band. Humourless, dull nonsense. Not a hint of joy from them. Anti music, everything I hate about music actually.
    Sonic Youth
    Like I already said, I've seen Thurston play solo but to see the whole band together would be fantastic
    They played Vicar St last year. Good gig. Skimmed on the hits though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Robinwood

But one will never feel the same who have been to Concept of Micheal Jackson ! RIP Miky

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Mansized Wreath

R.E.M.,sadly they've hung up their boots but Michael Stipe what a frontman he was!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

Soundgarden
    Alice In Chains (already have but would have been amazing if Layne was still alive)
    Pearl Jam
    Dinosaur Jr
    Mudhoney
    Mark Lanegan (for the 3rd time)
    Neil Young
    The black keys
    Chris Cornell (Again)
    Temple of the dog
    Stone Temple Pilots
    The Screaming Trees
    Primus

The list could go on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭RINO87

Steely Dan, with full session band. I wet myself at the thought!

The Nal wrote: »

Sonic Youth don't normally play the hits at their headline shows, they tend to concentrate more on newer material. But they do rock out a lot more of them at festivals apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

The Offspring
    Panic(!) at the Disco
    Bouncing Souls
    Sum 41
    Mayday Parade

^^ All bands I had tickets to see, but then the music festival collapsed (Pukkelpop), Sum 41 pulled out at the last minute (Kerrang Tour) and Mayday were supposed to support YMA6 but they couldn't reschedule when the gig was postponed so I'm still waiting :(

Set Your Goals
    Allison
    Oreskaband
    Feeder
    Biffy Clyro
    Nickelback (I know all their radio songs sound the same, but I reckon they'd be fun in an arena)

And then there's plenty of bands that I'd like to see again too! :D

Van Halen
    Motley Crue
    Pearl Jam
    Offspring
    Alter Bridge
    Chemical Brothers
    Daft Punk
    Steel Panther
    Rise Against

To name a few

R.A. haven't played headline shows here in a few years - the scene's too small for what it costs to get here so they often skip over us on European tours :(. I went to Birmingham to see them last year and ended up meeting two of them on the street there. Best €50 Ryanair flight ever :P They are one of the best bands I've seen live though (have seen them twice), so if you get a chance, definitely go see them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

The offspring I was too young to go and see them the last time they played
    Sum 41 Cancelled the K! Tour
    All Time Low might be going to see them in August
    Bowling Fir Soup going to see them soon!

R.A. haven't played headline shows here in a few years - the scene's too small for what it costs to get here so they often skip over us on European tours :(. I went to Birmingham to see them last year and ended up meeting two of them on the street there. Best €50 Ryanair flight ever :P They are one of the best bands I've seen live though (have seen them twice), so if you get a chance, definitely go see them! :)

Didnt they sell out the Academy last time they were here? Think i was un-decided about going at that time . Im raging they keep skipping over here(but can understand Travel cost etc may not make it feasable)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Bands I want to see

ACDC
    Iron Maiden
    Trivium
    The Offspring
    Bullet For My Valentine
    Stone Sour
    Slipknot

Bands I need to see again because they are awesome live
    Metallica
    Green Day
    Foo Fighters
    Alice In Chains
    Biffy Clyro

Didnt they sell out the Academy last time they were here? Think i was un-decided about going at that time . Im raging they keep skipping over here(but can understand Travel cost etc may not make it feasable)

I was at that show, I'm not sure if it was fully sold out - but even if it was, that's only 600-800 people. The show in Birmingham was a 3000+ capacity venue and they were playing that size room every night, so I guess it mightn't be worth all the extra travel costs and currency change for a venue a quarter the size of what they play every other night! :(
    Zack (guitarist) was telling us that they were surprised that they weren't booked for Dublin (though I suppose he had to say that :pac:). They played Oxegen in 2010 too, but I couldn't get off work that weekend to go. Maybe on the next tour *crosses fingers*

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

The Nal wrote: »

Last year? That was 2009.

Getting old.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
    As I lay dying. They're touring with Trivium this year but completely skipping Ireland :(

I was at that show, I'm not sure if it was fully sold out - but even if it was, that's only 600-800 people. The show in Birmingham was a 3000+ capacity venue and they were playing that size room every night, so I guess it mightn't be worth all the extra travel costs and currency change for a venue a quarter the size of what they play every other night! :(
    Zack (guitarist) was telling us that they were surprised that they weren't booked for Dublin (though I suppose he had to say that :pac:). They played Oxegen in 2010 too, but I couldn't get off work that weekend to go. Maybe on the next tour *crosses fingers*

I caught some of their set at Oxegen while i was on my break onsite . They had a decent size crowd (not massive mind you) . Yea i agree the fact they were playing 2000/3000 min capacity venues in UK why would they drop over here for a 800(max gig)

EDIT: Now ive just realised i have seen Rise Against ha stupid me , but would rather see them at a proper gig or a festival that would suit them like Reading/Download

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

A lot of whiskey drank since then. Time flies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

karaokeman wrote: »
    Kate Bush - highly unlikely, but I can always keep dreaming
    +1, she rarely plays live, and if she did it would be a trip to the UK as she supposedly has a fear of flying. Strange that her videos can still not be got on dvd.

I would like to see a few more doing those 'album gigs', e.g. I would love to see Rod Stewart doing all the tracks off Every Picture Tells A Story & Never a Dull Moment from the early 70's. I wouldn't bother to go see him at a normal gig, probably not even if I got free tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

Foster the people
    Bombay Bicycle Club
    Miike Snow
    Franz Ferdinand
    Grizzly Bear
    Django Django
    Arcade Fire
    Bloc Party
    Hot Chip
    Hockey
    Haim
    Ben Howard
    Ellie Goulding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I really hope Brand New come back soon. Their gig in Tripod was amazing.

Advertisement