Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think Wes Hoolahan should be starting in Ireland's WC2014 qualification games

• 15-06-2012 9:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

I personally think he is too old to bring in. He is 30 now. We should be looking to the future and try to blood younger players. When Trap had his training camp in 2008 it would have been a perfect time for him to be intergrated into the squad, however he was playing in League One at that stage and if he had been included I wouldn't have suprised if people were giving out. It has only been in the last 18 months when he was playing well in the Championship that people have been looking for him to be included but I think it would be wrong to play him now.

Do you think Wes Hoolahan should be starting in Ireland's WC2014 qualification games? 54 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    50% 27 votes
    No, but should be a squad member
    50% 27 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Personally I don't see the calls for his inclusion in the first team at all, agree he should have an opportunity in the squad but don't see him ever being a regular, he's a journey man of sorts and is a luxury player. He can influence a game but for me to often he is not impacting the game enough. I understand the arguement for him been given a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

He was in the squad back in 2003 I think for a friendly against Greece. At the time he was with Shels and the call up was well deserved and totally justified as he was playing some super stuff back then. However I agree with your point that he is probably too old to be a long term option but he's still better than someone like Green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

He should most definitely be in the squad, but I would prefer to see Pilkington given a chance.

Hoolahan = Just one of a number of players who should be in Poland but isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

We probably need to adapt the more modern formation of two holding mids with wingers and an AM behind a lone striker.

McCarthy ---- Whelan

McGeady
    McClean

Weso

Long

Obv you can interchange Doyle/Pilkington/Gibson etc into that.

We'd compete better with that imo.

So to answer your question; yes I think there is a place for Hoolahan in there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

He should most definitely be in the squad, but I would prefer to see Pilkington given a chance.

Hoolahan = Just one of a number of players who should be in Poland but isn't.

I was about to post that I'd like to see Pilkington called up. I think Hoolahan is too old now.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I'd have both in the squad tbh.

cson wrote: »
    We probably need to adapt the more modern formation of two holding mids with wingers and an AM behind a lone striker.

McCarthy ---- Whelan

McGeady
    McClean

Weso

Long

I think Keane or Ireland wud be a better option in the drop off role, I'd have Whelan out too he's had his time in first 11 I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Soups123 wrote: »
    I think Keane or Ireland wud be a better option in the drop off role, I'd have Whelan out too he's had his time in first 11 I think

Whelan's only 28?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

noodler wrote: »
    Whelan's only 28?

But he's sh*t

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Whelan's only 28?

I think it's because he's useless rather than being too old.

Andrews has been the superior of the two so he and McCarthy would be a better combination for defensive midfielders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

For now, Hoolahan is the best player for the role I'd play Pilkington in long term. Hoolahan should start the next campaign to help the rest of the team get familiar with the role and also help Pilkington ease into the role, but Pilkington should by the end of the campaign be starting.

Soups123 wrote: »

Whelan's only 28?
    I know just don't think he is doing enough wud really like to see an infusion and trust of youth with experience,I think now is the time to try make the likes of Long, McCarthy, McClean etc regular starters, I'd love to see Dunne take the captaincy for the next two yrs and lead the change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Would a 4-3-3 like Russia play not be better for than a 4-2-3-1 for us ? In that 4-3-3 system there is no AM and usually one or two of the 3 CM's break forward to support the forward. Would something like a trio of McCarthy, Andrews and Gibson suit us better because we don't have that top class player to play in the hole ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

seriously?
    Start him, just straight into the qualifiers?
    i think there are a few other players more deserving of a starting place than him tbh

What makes everyone think that Pilkington wants to play for Ireland ? He has played just once for the u21`s and afaik he hasn`t said anything about the senior squad ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Clarke, McCarthy, McClean, Duffy, Coleman, Pilkington should be introduced to the squad. These players are our brightest prospects and have next to no international experience between them.

We have qualified for a major tournament for the first in 10 years, but at what cost? We were incredibly lucky to draw Estonia in the playoff. It's highly worrying that we have the oldest squad in the tournament, and we were also the poorest performers.

The most worrying thing is that the young players just aren't trusted. It could damage our prospects for a long time unless it's put right asap.

Also, Hoolahan is 30, but we don't have any other player like him in the squad. He is most than deserving of a place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Would a 4-4-3 like Russia play not be better for than a 4-2-3-1 for us ? in that system there is no AM and usually 1 or 2 of the 3 cm`s break forward. Something like McCarthy, Andrews and Gibson\Fahey suit us better as we don`t have that top class player to play in the hole

No wonder they are hard to beat!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

cson wrote: »

McCarthy ---- Whelan

McGeady
    McClean

Weso

Long

I would have nearly the same team as you, but would swap Whelan for Gibson. Contrary to what many people think, McCarthy is actually the best defensive midfielder we have available to us since Lee Carsley. Unlike Whelan, he can tackle AND pass. Gibson is less physical, but is quality in possesion is decent enough when he has a strong partner in midfield like he has in Felliani at Everton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Whatever about being in the starting lineup, it should most certainly be part of the squad. Its criminal how he has been ignored. Would offer another dimension to what is a very one dimensional side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Since Andrews worked his socks off for Ireland in the last few games, I'd like to see him and McCarthy start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What about that young United lad, Robbie Brady that played at Hull last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

James McCarthy is the best Irish player in the premier league at the moment. if he is not central to our next campaign there is something very wrong

Isn't he more of a winger, Eagle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

What is our best u25 squad we could put out?

This is pointless anyway lads. we have a manager who couldn't care less about developing these players into a team for the long term

flyswatter wrote: »
    Since Andrews worked his socks off for Ireland in the last few games, I'd like to see him and McCarthy start.

Agree that he deserves to be in more than Whelan, but by the next World Cup starts he will be going on 34. We should be bringing on the next generation in that time.

Meyler(providing he can get more games), McCarthy, Gibson are the trio who should be the main players featured in our midfield two in a 4-2-3-1 over the next 4 years. I would hope that 1 or 2 other prospects would break onto the scene in that time also.

Eathrin wrote: »
    What is our best u25 squad we could put out?

IMO, if it were for a game today,

Henderson
    Coleman-Duffy-Clark-Wilson
    Pilkington-Gibson-McCarthy-McClean
    Ireland
    Long

Subs: Randolph, White, Cunningham, Mason, Best, Meyler, someone else (Hendrick?)

flyswatter wrote: »

Agree that he deserves to be in more than Whelan, but by the next World Cup starts he will be going on 34. We should be bringing on the next generation in that time.

Meyler(providing he can get more games), McCarthy, Gibson are the trio who should be the main players featured in our midfield two in a 4-2-3-1 over the next 4 years. I would hope that 1 or 2 other prospects would break onto the scene in that time also.

Meyler, McCarthy and Gibson would be my preferred starting trio. McClean and Coleman supporting Long. potential to be a really dynamic attack

James McCarthy is the best Irish player in the premier league at the moment. if he is not central to our next campaign there is something very wrong
    Watched him put several incredible shifts in against top quality teams like Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea this season. That is more than can be said of Andrews/Whelan.

• Advertisement

Meyler, McCarthy and Gibson would be my preferred starting trio. McClean and Coleman supporting Long. potential to be a really dynamic attack

I think that would work, possibly Pilkington instead of Meyler when more attacking impetus needed?

G.K. wrote: »

Henderson
    Ireland
    Long

Subs: Randolph, White, Cunningham, Mason, Best, Meyler, someone else (Hendrick?)
    Robbie Brady and Conor Clifford aswell

Watched him put several incredible shifts in against top quality teams like Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea this season. That is more than can be said of Andrews/Whelan.

He has it all imo.

proved last season he can excel in a defensive role as well.

Agree that he deserves to be in more than Whelan, but by the next World Cup starts he will be going on 34.
    The thing about Andrews is that he actually isn't a defensive player like McCarthy is. You watch him for club, his natural inclination is to get forward and try to support the strikers. He is a hard worker, but he isn't a natural defensive player.

I think that would work, possibly Pilkington instead of Meyler when more attacking impetus needed?

Yeah.

Stephen Ireland really is made for the role though. I'd certainly welcome him back.

Yep, if you ask me, the deep lying role is his best position. A natural ball winner who can pass.

• Advertisement

What makes everyone think that Pilkington wants to play for Ireland ? He has played just once for the u21`s and afaik he hasn`t said anything about the senior squad ?
    Will someone please answer this for me ?

Yep, if you ask me, the deep lying role is his best position. A natural ball winner who can pass.

Very like Lucas but imo better than Lucas was at that age

Henderson
    Ireland
    Long

Spot on. Was writing out my own identical selection. Worst case scenario Ireland doesn't play, Coleman pushes up and Pilkington moves into the hole.

Either way, I reckon it'd definitely beat Trap's recognised first 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Trap needs to stick to much the same system that got us to the Euros.

He just needs to freshen it up a bit and introduce players like Long, McCarthy and McClean.

It wasn't really his 'system' that cost us, it's been individual errors.

Errors that were non existent in qualifying.

The fact that he has played for the U-21's would indicate that he would play for us. We have nothing else to go off because Trap stupidly never even attempted to cap him. Sums up our manager really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

The thing about Andrews is that he actually isn't a defensive player like McCarthy is. You watch him for club, his natural inclination is to get forward and try to support the strikers. He is a hard worker, but he isn't a natural defensive player.

Plus his off the ball movement is in a different league to the other guys on the Ireland team.

Hoolahan has said in an interview that if Pilkington was called up he would accept it.

Yeah.

Stephen Ireland really is made for the role though. I'd certainly welcome him back.

If I was Irish, so would I. As it is, I just think he should be back. He'd be in my 1st choice XI.

djPSB wrote: »

He just needs to freshen it up a bit and introduce players like Long, McCarthy and McClean.

Of course it is also the system. In a 4-4-2 we invite pressure and because most teams play 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1, our midfield would end up being crowded against good 3-man midfields.

If we play 4-4-2 against Germany with similar players we will be completely destroyed.

Very like Lucas but imo better than Lucas was at that age
    Great analogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Not disputing what you're saying, you've probably seen more of him than me (though I did watch Wigan a few times towards the end of the season and was impressed with him), but is he really a natural ball winner? Regardless, what he does offer we sorely need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Reading this it looks as though Pilkington isnt bothered about playing for Ireland and I dont know why fellas keep harping on about him.He is a 24 year old Englishman who has played one u21 game.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2011/1125/1224308177482.html

Also, I have no problem with players born outside the island of Ireland playing for us,once they commit to us at a young age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

djPSB wrote: »

He team selection cost us.Ward,Whelan and Green have to go for starters.

Reading this it looks as though Pilkington isnt bothered about playing for Ireland and I dont know why fellas keep harping on about him.He is a 24 year old Englishman who has played one u21 game.

Also, I have no problem with players born outside the island of Ireland playing for us,once they commit to us at a young age.
    This is exactly what I mean, he doesn't seem interested. afaik he didn't even know that he was eligible for us.

We keep harping on about him because he is extremely good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement