Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think Wes Hoolahan should be starting in Ireland's WC2014 qualification games

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

G.K. wrote: »
    If I was Irish, so would I. As it is, I just think he should be back. He'd be in my 1st choice XI.

I'll quote another poster when i say "Stephen Ireland can f*ck right off!" I'm having none of that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

He has it all imo.

proved last season he can excel in a defensive role as well.
    Very like Lucas but imo better than Lucas was at that age
    Comparing McCarthy to Lucas is premature. Lucas at that age was already capped for Brazil and Footballer of the Year in Brazil which was an award previously won by Tevez, Robinho, Kaka, Romario, Edilson, Edmundo, Djalminha and going back further Careca, Falcao and Zico. Many people criticised Lucas simply because his name wasn't Alonso or Gerrard without ever analyizing his game and all these critics have been proved wrong.
    He team selection cost us.Ward,Whelan and Green have to go for starters.
    Green hardly ever plays and is just a particular type of midfield worker that covers a job. Ward is there because we're short of left backs of anyway decent quality and Whelan has been a key player ever since Trap took over.

This squad of players in nowhere near the level of the Irish squads we sent to Euro 88, WC 90, WC 94 and WC 2002 and we are lucky to have a manager of Trapattoni's quality to guide us to a major championship. Spain are ranked 1 in the world, Croatia are 8 and Italy were world champions 6 years ago so some people need a reality check to think that we with players playing second tier football should be challenging these teams. We can hold our heads high and most importantly can concentrate now on Germany and Sweden for a spot in Brazil 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

RGDATA! wrote: »
    Not disputing what you're saying, you've probably seen more of him than me (though I did watch Wigan a few times towards the end of the season and was impressed with him), but is he really a natural ball winner? Regardless, what he does offer we sorely need.
    Out of all the players we have, McCarthy is most definitely the best ball winner we have. If you watch him at Wigan, you will see that not only can he win the ball, but he can distribute it quickly or else push forward to create a counter attack. If Ireland are often going to be the defensive team against quality opposition, McCarthy is the ideal player to have in that circumstance. He will pick the ball up, he will either break forward himself or else create the attack for his team.

Someone said he is a bit like Lucas at Liverpool, that is 90% true. I would actually liken McCarthy more to Marcos Senna.What I mean is that he is a ball winner, he will hold onto possession, he will play simply passses, he will be the basis of most attacks. If you dig out your videos of Senna, you will see the similarity.

Wes Hoolahan won't be getting into a Trap team and he's not good enough to be getting into an Irish team if we got a manager with more belief in the pool of talent we have!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Dotsey wrote: »
    Comparing McCarthy to Lucas is premature. Lucas at that age was already capped for Brazil and Footballer of the Year in Brazil which was an award previously won by Tevez, Robinho, Kaka, Romario, Edilson, Edmundo, Djalminha and going back further Careca, Falcao and Zico. Many people criticised Lucas simply because his name wasn't Alonso or Gerrard without ever analyizing his game and all these critics have been proved wrong.

Green hardly ever plays and is just a particular type of midfield worker that covers a job. Ward is there because we're short of left backs of anyway decent quality and Whelan has been a key player ever since Trap took over.

This squad of players in nowhere near the level of the Irish squads we sent to Euro 88, WC 90, WC 94 and WC 2002 and we are lucky to have a manager of Trapattoni's quality to guide us to a major championship. Spain are ranked 1 in the world, Croatia are 8 and Italy were world champions 6 years ago so some people need a reality check to think that we with players playing second tier football should be challenging these teams. We can hold our heads high and most importantly can concentrate now on Germany and Sweden for a spot in Brazil 2014.

Few minor points.

1.)The number of quality footballers playing in Brazil is far less than the number of quality footballers playing in England. In England he has to compete with world class players for recognition.

2.) Marc Wilson is a far more capable left back than Ward and isn't in the squad. So we are not short of left backs of decent quality, Trapattoni refuses to pick them.

3.)Whelan admittedly was a good option when Trapattoni took over due to the lack of competition, but now we have two better players to choose from. Add to that his completely anonymous performances in the last two games and it should be game up for him.

4.) I am certainly not holding my head high at the worst Irish display in 40 years. Which incidentally came only days after another very poor performance.

4.) The squad of players could be good if Trap picked the best ones. And played the best team and formation out of the players he does put into his squad.

5.) Greece finished above Croatia in their qualifying group. Switzerland beat Spain in the last World Cup. Italy got knocked out of their group in the last World Cup without winning a game and by drawing to New Zealand. Ireland should have been capable of causing an upset in AT LEAST 1 game if Trap had picked the best players and system out of the squad he had brought. If he had picked the best players for his squad overall, then we would have been in even better nick.

6.) Challenging Germany?

Dotsey wrote: »
    Ward is there because we're short of left backs of anyway decent quality
    NO NO NO!

Let me give you a challenge. Go onto any Stoke forum and as them about Marc Wilson. Ask them what they think of his quality. Ask him do they think he is another Stephen Ward who is so terrified of the ball that he just punts it up the field at the earliest chance. I can almost guarantee you that they will tell you that Marc Wilson is their most comfortable defender on the ball and that he actually wants to pass the ball when he has the chance.

Wilson is fortunate that he is actually a decent player but unfortunately he is at the wrong club.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Wes Hoolahan won't be getting into a Trap team and he's not good enough to be getting into an Irish team if we got a manager with more belief in the pool of talent we have!!

I can't help but laugh at this.

Football, you should watch it some time.

NO NO NO!

Let me give you a challenge. Go onto any Stoke forum and as them about Marc Wilson. Ask them what they think of his quality. Ask him do they think he is another Stephen Ward who is so terrified of the ball that he just punts it up the field at the earliest chance. I can almost guarantee you that they will tell you that Marc Wilson is their most comfortable defender on the ball and that he actually wants to pass the ball when he has the chance.

Wilson is fortunate that he is actually a decent player but unfortunately he is at the wrong club.

Stephen Ward isn't even a left back really!!

I can't help but laugh at this.

Football, you should watch it some time.

I do, he won't and he's not!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think Wilson is a good player, but i'm never comfortable watching playing a right footed player at left back, especially pushing on. I don't think Pulis sees him as a full time left back if I remember some of his comments correctly.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Stephen Ward isn't even a left back really!!
    I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

eagle eye wrote: »
    What about that young United lad, Robbie Brady that played at Hull last season?

Paul McShane was once a young united lad and ended up at Hull.

No offence to Brady, but I would like to see him playing regular ball with a PL side before we throw him into an important qualifier. Maybe a blood in in the friendlies is in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Paul McShane was once a young united lad and ended up at Hull.

No offence to Brady, but I would like to see him playing regular ball with a PL side before we throw him into an important qualifier. Maybe a blood in in the friendlies is in order.

This is hardly the same situation tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Should be in the squad anyway.

Think international football would suit him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Why is everyone so obsessed with Pilkington? He's as English as the bloody queen FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

People are forgetting that Marc Wilson's proper position isn't left back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

Few minor points.

1.)The number of quality footballers playing in Brazil is far less than the number of quality footballers playing in England. In England he has to compete with world class players for recognition.

2.) Marc Wilson is a far more capable left back than Ward and isn't in the squad. So we are not short of left backs of decent quality, Trapattoni refuses to pick them.

3.)Whelan admittedly was a good option when Trapattoni took over due to the lack of competition, but now we have two better players to choose from. Add to that his completely anonymous performances in the last two games and it should be game up for him.

4.) I am certainly not holding my head high at the worst Irish display in 40 years. Which incidentally came only days after another very poor performance.

4.) The squad of players could be good if Trap picked the best ones. And played the best team and formation out of the players he does put into his squad.

5.) Greece finished above Croatia in their qualifying group. Switzerland beat Spain in the last World Cup. Italy got knocked out of their group in the last World Cup without winning a game and by drawing to New Zealand. Ireland should have been capable of causing an upset in AT LEAST 1 game if Trap had picked the best players and system out of the squad he had brought. If he had picked the best players for his squad overall, then we would have been in even better nick.

6.) Challenging Germany?

What? Surely the 5-2 loss to Cyprus and the match against San Marino were far worse then Thursday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

People are forgetting that Marc Wilson's proper position isn't left back.

He still plays LB better than Ward (Who also isn't a LB) does.

The only proper LB's I can think of are Cunningham, White and Enda Stephens.

While the first 2 should be integrated into the squad ready to be the LB choices for 2016, Wilson is the best at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Wouldn't have Hoolahan starting, decent player and he offers something the squad is lacking at the minute, but it is unlikely he will fit into the tactics we will play (rightly or wrongly) and his age is against him. I think he has missed the boat in terms of international football, don't even know if I would bother to have him in the squad at this point, he is good enough, but if he isn't going to get game time and will only be around for 1/2 campaigns I'd rather give his squad position to someone younger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

kksaints wrote: »
    What? Surely the 5-2 loss to Cyprus and the match against San Marino were far worse then Thursday night.

They weren't glamour matches so they don't count apparently.

• Advertisement

They weren't glamour matches so they don't count apparently.

We haven't lost by a 4 goal margin in over 40 years. Does that count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

We haven't lost by a 4 goal margin in over 40 years. Does that count?

It's no great achievement to never lose by 4 when you rarely play the best teams in the world and then when you do play for a draw. The Irish mantra for a generation now has been "you'll never beat us" but it neglects to include that "we'll never beat you either".

It was just bad luck that we got paired with the best team in the world at a time when we were anything but.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Lost 4-0 to Holland at Lansdowne in 2006 actually,Robin Van Persie battered us that day.

Lost 4-0 to Holland at Lansdowne in 2006 actually,Robin Van Persie battered us that day.

That was a friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Hoolahan should definitely be involved in the squad. He is the best player we have available in that position by a distance and even though he is 30 he is still in his prime. Hoolahan may be past it in two years or he may not. Just like any inferior younger player you bring in instead of him may have blossomed in that time or may have turned out to be not that good.

I wouldn't count Stephen Ireland as available and I don't think anybody else should either. He says a lot of different things in the papers, but until he acts on them there's no point in paying attention to him.

McCarthy, Fahey and S Reid are three central midfielders we have who are all good on the ball and able to play an effective part in keeping and using possession. They should all be in and around the first team. Wilson should be in the squad, but may be needed at fullback; great to have that flexibility anyway. Andrews has been putting in great shifts so he would be my first choice out of Trap's favoured few midfielders. Gibson after him and then Whelan would be last in the pecking order.

We actually have a decent collection of central players with good skill on the ball. This team could really pass it about if they were set up that way. That would help us be much more defensively solid too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Pro. F wrote: »
    Hoolahan should definitely be involved in the squad. He is the best player we have available in that position by a distance and even though he is 30 he is still in his prime. Hoolahan may be past it in two years or he may not. Just like any inferior younger player you bring in instead of him may have blossomed in that time or may have turned out to be not that good.

I wouldn't count Stephen Ireland as available and I don't think anybody else should either. He says a lot of different things in the papers, but until he acts on them there's no point in paying attention to him.

McCarthy, Fahey and S Reid are three central midfielders we have who are all good on the ball and able to play an effective part in keeping and using possession. They should all be in and around the first team. Wilson should be in the squad, but may be needed at fullback; great to have that flexibility anyway. Andrews has been putting in great shifts so he would be my first choice out of Trap's favoured few midfielders. Gibson after him and then Whelan would be last in the pecking order.

We actually have a decent collection of central players with good skill on the ball. This team could really pass it about if they were set up that way. That would help us be much more defensively solid too.

Good post.

I like see Gibson get his game on Monday. Slim chance, but he one the few that when he does get the ball he can pass it.

Whelan to me has been shown up big time in first 2 games. Worst player so far.

Only for Andrews the score could have been far worse on Thursday

Advertisement