Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockey's Log

Options
  • 15-06-2012 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Stats

Height: 1.75m
    Weight: 75Kg

Lifts

Deadlift: 90KG
    Back Squat: 80KG
    Front Squat: 65KG
    Power Clean: 50KG
    Bench: 50KG

Background:
    Did starting strength for about 5 months but couldn't keep going due to other training commitments. Got good gains from it

Goals:

Looking to gain strength and hopefully do some Oly lifting. Want to improve speed and general fitness for the upcoming hockey season.

Plan

Heavy compound movements 3 times a week with cardio on rest days.

Today:

Warmup on C2 Rower
    Stretching and stuff.

Snatch drills (10kg bar)
    OH squat
    Drop snatch
    Snatch from hip
    3 times each for 3 rounds

Power Cleans
    30x3
    40x3
    45x3x2

Bench
    45 3x5

OH plate lunges
    15kg 6 each legx3

Core work

Ran out of time. Not a bad session.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

That's a fine strength building workout there, especially for your age, size and weight.

What position are you playing in Hockey?

Plyometrics are your friend. I played hockey for years, took a break but will probably get back for this season. I played outfield but mainly in goal and I found that core strength and good combination of plyometric exercises will build stamina, endurance and speed - especially when it comes to feet work.

If you're playing in the upper midfield - forward section of the pitch you're going to need to turn on a 1 cent coin. That's where your lower centre of gravity comes into play and core strength is an added benefit to this. Given your height and weight, speed is a core component to building skill and also it's an added benefit for other sports. I'm pretty sure, a little bit if t'internet research will be needed, but check out training plans for the Australian hockey team. They're probably one of the most physical teams in hockey and have an excellent combination of strength, speed and core stability. Sports science has been the key to their success.

Which club are you playing with? Do you have equipment for plyometric exercises? Are you playing on sand or waterbase? The type of pitch will also have an effect on your training. I found sand based pitches had a higher chance of shin splints due to the fact that a lot of these pitches are ancient and don't provide the shock support a waterbased pitch would.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Lockey123

pandaboy wrote: »
    That's a fine strength building workout there, especially for your age, size and weight.

What position are you playing in Hockey?

Plyometrics are your friend. I played hockey for years, took a break but will probably get back for this season. I played outfield but mainly in goal and I found that core strength and good combination of plyometric exercises will build stamina, endurance and speed - especially when it comes to feet work.

If you're playing in the upper midfield - forward section of the pitch you're going to need to turn on a 1 cent coin. That's where your lower centre of gravity comes into play and core strength is an added benefit to this. Given your height and weight, speed is a core component to building skill and also it's an added benefit for other sports. I'm pretty sure, a little bit if t'internet research will be needed, but check out training plans for the Australian hockey team. They're probably one of the most physical teams in hockey and have an excellent combination of strength, speed and core stability. Sports science has been the key to their success.

Which club are you playing with? Do you have equipment for plyometric exercises? Are you playing on sand or waterbase? The type of pitch will also have an effect on your training. I found sand based pitches had a higher chance of shin splints due to the fact that a lot of these pitches are ancient and don't provide the shock support a waterbased pitch would.

Thanks for the comment.
    I usually play either left or right back.
    I play on water and sand based pitches and I definitely feel the difference with regard to shin splints. I do a lot of calf and ankle mobility work and it seems to prevent it getting too bad.
    We don't have any plyo equipment at the club but I'm thinking about building my own plyo box at some stage.

Saturday 16th of June

Cardio/Conditioning

C2 Rower 2mins on 30secs off for 6 rounds
    Sprint intervals on treadmill. All out for 30 secs 1 minute jogging for 4 rounds

Conditioning
    20kg Thrusters/Pushups
    10-7-5-3-1

30kg Hang Clean/Burpees
    10-7
    7-5
    5-3
    3-1

Messed around with a few wallballs as well at the end.

Tough session. Those burpees killes me

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Burpees are a killer but are worth it in the end. You're in a fairly tough position as you need the best of both worlds. Good defence, strength, speed and agility.

You can do the plyometrics with a rope ladder, a lot of it is hops one legged and two legged and you'll notice the difference after a few weeks. I usually did these on pitch because you'll feck your shins up if you're on concrete/tar and it'll also build your strength for astro turf.

Check out resistance bands as well, nice and cheap and will do a world of good. We had a two way band - with reins. One person would hold on the reins while you did a 60% - 80% sprint and then let go for the final third. Great for building stamina and initial sprint acceleration.

We accommodated a lot of our exercises into field play as well. Have a little obstacle course for plyometrics, sprints, bollards for ball work and then finish off with a shot on goal or run back with the ball and begin again.

The best thing to follow is the Australian method, I really can't give them enough credit. They have a national hockey team that's basically a sports science team. A lot of university players that would play provincial and at a national development level. They beat the senior team a few years back.

Are you talking about SAQ stuff. Like this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGBBBD0IiuM

Any chance of a link about the australian team. I googled it but didnt have any luck.

Monday 18th of June

Warmup and mobility

Snatch drills 10kg bar
    Drop snatchx3
    Snatch from hipx3
    Snatch from kneex3

Front squats 50kg 3x5
    SLDL 40kg 3x5
    GHR negatives 3x5
    Core

Serious hamstring DOMS the day after

Thursday 21st June

Warmup and mobility

Back Squats
    Barx10
    40kgx5
    50kgx5
    70x5
    65x2x5
    Meant to be 70x3x5 but I couldnt manage it after the first set of 70

Sumo Deadlift
    60x2x5
    80x2x5

Step ups
    7.5kg DB
    6 on each legx2

Curls and tricep pushdown superset
    8/8 x3

Core

• Advertisement

Monday 25th June

Warmup and mobility

Back squat
    Barx10
    40x5
    50x5
    Tried 70x5 wasnt happening
    65x3x5

Over Head Press
    Barx5
    25x5x2
    27.5x5

Cleans
    Barx5
    30x5
    40x3x3

DB Lunges
    17.5kg each hand
    4 each leg x2
    4 just left leg

Curls and tri push down superset
    10kg DB and no 8 on stack
    8/8 x3

Core

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

Good work. Where do you play?

What core exercises do you do? Hollow rock is the best core exercise around, plank does the job too but it is very easy to overcompensate for bad mobility when doing the plank whereas hollow rock doesn't allow this. What mobility work are you doing? If you play hockey it's a good idea to stretch the psoas as they can get tight, couch stretch from mobility wod is good at 16 you're probably ok but it's something to keep in mind.

Pull up is great for the back, snatch and press are also great but in my mind pull up is still vital. Don't bother with chin up tho..

dragonkin wrote: »
    Good work. Where do you play?

What core exercises do you do? Hollow rock is the best core exercise around, plank does the job too but it is very easy to overcompensate for bad mobility when doing the plank whereas hollow rock doesn't allow this. What mobility work are you doing? If you play hockey it's a good idea to stretch the psoas as they can get tight, couch stretch from mobility wod is good at 16 you're probably ok but it's something to keep in mind.

Pull up is great for the back, snatch and press are also great but in my mind pull up is still vital. Don't bother with chin up tho..

Are you talking about position or club?

I generally do weighted situps, russian twists, and pushup-to-plank. That hollow rock looks good.

I'm a big fan of mobility wod. I do foam rolling and roll with a hockey ball as well. I love the couch stretch and the banded hip stretch.

I'm working on my pullups. I can only do 2/3 at the moment. I usually throw in a few negatives at the end of a session.

Thursday 28th of June

Warmup and mobility

Snatch drills

Snatch
    20x3x3

Front squats
    Bar x loads
    40x5
    50x3x5
    55x3

Overhead press
    Bar x 10
    25x2x5
    27.5x2x5

Sumo Deadlift
    60x2x5
    80x5
    90x3 PR
    100x1 PR
    105x1 PR

Core

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

Lockey123 wrote: »
    Are you talking about position or club?

I generally do weighted situps, russian twists, and pushup-to-plank. That hollow rock looks good.

I'm a big fan of mobility wod. I do foam rolling and roll with a hockey ball as well. I love the couch stretch and the banded hip stretch.

I'm working on my pullups. I can only do 2/3 at the moment. I usually throw in a few negatives at the end of a session.

I meant what club. In my opinion the hollow rock is the single best exercise you can do. It stabilises the spine brilliantly in particular the higher thoracic stabilisers which are quite hard to hit and you develop a lot of power when pushing/hitting the ball by tensing the muscles worked by it. It is also an excellent indicator of your psoa mobility as you simply will not be able to do it comfortably with a tilted hip (tight psoas). KStar has a whole series on crossfit journal called 'the position', that talks about the importance of good spinal stabilisation and in my opinion the hollow rock is the best place to get it.

With regards pull ups the best thing to do is get a pullup bar and put it in your house somewhere, I have one and do a few when I walk past it. You seem to be on the right track!

EDIT one thing I forgot is that a lot of hockey players (myself included) can develop tight left pec muscles (bad left internal shoulder rotation). This is not just a hockey thing tho as pretty much everyone I see around me has tight pecs from sitting with rounded thoracic spines all day slouching with the shoulder forward in the socket, it also affects anyone who plays a sport where you hold a stick, paddle etc. Due to the way the stick is held the right shoulder tends to sit perfectly back in the socket but the left shoulder comes forward into 'DB' shoulder in KStar terms. You won't have this problem if you keep a strong back and maintain good spinal stability which you are doing but I thought I'd mention it anyway as something to keep in mind. I currently use a 12kg kettlebell and the technique shown in this video to improve it

dragonkin wrote: »
    I meant what club. In my opinion the hollow rock is the single best exercise you can do. It stabilises the spine brilliantly in particular the higher thoracic stabilisers which are quite hard to hit and you develop a lot of power when pushing/hitting the ball by tensing the muscles worked by it. It is also an excellent indicator of your psoa mobility as you simply will not be able to do it comfortably with a tilted hip (tight psoas). KStar has a whole series on crossfit journal called 'the position', that talks about the importance of good spinal stabilisation and in my opinion the hollow rock is the best place to get it.

With regards pull ups the best thing to do is get a pullup bar and put it in your house somewhere, I have one and do a few when I walk past it. You seem to be on the right track!

EDIT one thing I forgot is that a lot of hockey players (myself included) can develop tight left pec muscles (bad left internal shoulder rotation). This is not just a hockey thing tho as pretty much everyone I see around me has tight pecs from sitting with rounded thoracic spines all day slouching with the shoulder forward in the socket, it also affects anyone who plays a sport where you hold a stick, paddle etc. Due to the way the stick is held the right shoulder tends to sit perfectly back in the socket but the left shoulder comes forward into 'DB' shoulder in KStar terms. You won't have this problem if you keep a strong back and maintain good spinal stability which you are doing but I thought I'd mention it anyway as something to keep in mind. I currently use a 12kg kettlebell and the technique shown in this video to improve it

I play with CofI in Cork

I tried a few of those hollow rocks. Its good because you can feel when you're about to over extend. I find in the plank I just end up in a poor position.

That shoulder thing is interesting because I needed to work on my shoulder IR anyway for snatching.

Had a bit of a flair up of tendinitis in my knee last week so plenty of fish oil and ice.

Last week I did an upper body session but I was only tooling around because of my knee.
    Got back into real training this week.

Wednesday 4th of July

Sprint session

Warmup
    100m intervals
    50m intervals
    25m intervals
    5m agility drills

Thursday 5th of July

Warmup and mobility
    + Burgener Warmup

Snatch
    Worked up to 30kg for three singles

P.Clean into front squat
    Someone was using the rack
    30x5
    40x5
    50x5
    55x3

Rack Jerks
    Barx5
    25x3
    27.5x1
    30x1PR
    35x1PR

Deadlifts
    Conventional
    60x5
    70x5
    Sumo deads
    80x3
    85x3

Gym Closed

• Advertisement

Quick update

Was away last week on hols but before I left I did a PR Session

Front Squat
    75KGx1

P. Snatch
    35KGx1

C&J
    47.5KGx1

Tuesday 17th of July

Back Squat
    Barx10
    30x5
    40x5
    50x5
    60x5
    75x5x2
    70x5

Started cramping in the second set of 75
    NOT FUN

OH Press
    Barx5
    30x5x3

Left cause my legs were still cramping
    Awful Session

Thursday 19th of July

Just some upper body stuff and a few squats to test the hamstring. Still not great

Saturday 21st July

P Chain Work

Good Mornings
    Barx10
    30x3x5

SL Deadlift
    Barx10
    30x5
    40x3x5

Clean Pulls
    30x10
    40x5