Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

yabadabado wrote: »
    LOL

cast and wait,cast and wait.
    Boring isnt the word

People who think Rooney can't be sold need to look again.

I think if RVP comes in he's gone. Wouldn't be to put out over it. Some of his performances last season were awful. I'd be more disappointed over Nani going than Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

kryogen wrote: »
    If the big money is there why not actually test some teams for some real quality in central midfield though? The wings and forward line are pretty fully stocked. There is certainly a more pressing area to be spending money on.....

I've been saying this to a couple of my friends around home over the past week, and tbh, I think some people are possibly blinded to a more urgent need by Lucas Moura's undoubted quality and potential.

If there is £35m available, why not throw it around Europe for a proven central midfielder, that would improve us a lot more than buying Lucas would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

lordgoat wrote: »

I think if RVP comes in he's gone. Wouldn't be to put out over it. Some of his performances last season were awful. I'd be more disappointed over Nani going than Rooney.

I never said Rooney cant be sold,just reading the post I think its fairly obvious the poster is a WUM.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I never said Rooney cant be sold,just reading the post I think its fairly obvious the poster is a WUM.

'Pologies, I should have phrased my previous post differently. I agree with ^ but I do think there's a decent chance he'll go if RVP comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Leaving out the RVP possiblity, are you saying if one of them had to leave you'd rather lose Rooney than Nani?

If so, I can't agree with that. I'd take Rooney every day of the week over Nani.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Wouldn't be disappointed if Rooney left if we adequately replaced him. Rewarding him with a new contract when he had threatened to leave put SAF into an awkward position. It questioned his authority and the old Fergie would have dealt with that situation better. Rooney knows he's first on the teamsheet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Rooney can be sold, but he won't be.

To think we'd bring in RVP and get rid of Rooney is absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

people want signings to improve the team so that we can challenge for honours and play nice attractive football that is befitting of the club we support.

last years performances were average to poor at most cases. less of your hyperbole nonsense.
    You have no right to call out anybody's posts in this thread as hyperbole to be fair. The fact that you thought we were mostly poor last year is the height of hyperbole.

I also didn't make myself clear. I have no problem with people wanting signings. That is to be expected. I do have problems with people being happy to fúck off players like Nani, Young, Hernandez and Welbeck for the likes of Lucas Moura and RVP just because they want a big signing to get excited about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Been watching Lucas since last year, ever since he was linked with Chelsea and eventually Chelsea bid £35 million for him which was turned down

Seeing him in actual games is very different from the youtube highlights. (Obviously)
    He seems to dribble, dribble dribble and then lose the ball a lot.
    Seems to get subbed off a lot and his performances for Brazil have yet to impress.
    His sub appearance against the UK team was typical of him, he ran and ran into space with no challenge and then when he was in the peno box, seemed to realise and panic and looked for a pass
    Very, very raw talent IMO and behind Ronaldo at the same age and Oscar at the moment.
    If he comes to Utd, then I think he will be seen as a Ronaldo type, having the ability to do the unexpected. He's not a pure winger, so he's not really a Nani replacement, but he would be one for the future alright with Kawaga in front of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

What is WUM ? I am a bit of newbie in soccer forum.

Anyway, I think United would be very interested in big money for Rooney, say he sold to Madrid for £50 million, they probably be lucky to get RVP for £15 millon, It would be profitable for United but get same services up the front anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

I have a funny feeling that Rooney will be moving to Real Madrid in a shock transfer this month or next Month.
    This little thought crept into my head as well I must admit.
    Everyone is saying these signings don't make sense but they do if Rooney is being taken out of the equation.

But in saying that it is just a nagging thought and I don't expect it to happen. Rooney has had some poor games but United also relied on him very heavily at times over the last couple of years. This year that is being corrected and I think his performances will benefit from the increased creativity in the team.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I think it's absolute bullsh!t that a new poster is being called a "windup merchant" and that he is "fishing" just because ye disagree with his point.

There are fans from rival teams coming here and trolling the **** out of everyone with subtle digs here and there - I'll refrain from naming names but it's quite clear. Call them out, not someone that has a different opinion to you.

Sure, I disagree with chainsawman, but that doesn't mean he is a troll or a WUM.

Been watching Lucas since last year, ever since he was linked with Chelsea and eventually Chelsea bid £35 million for him which was turned down

Seeing him in actual games is very different from the youtube highlights. (Obviously)
    Seems to get subbed off a lot and his performances for Brazil have yet to impress.
    His sub appearance against the UK team was typical of him, he ran and ran into space with no challenge and then when he was in the peno box, seemed to realise and panic and looked for a pass
    Very, very raw talent IMO and behind Ronaldo at the same age and Oscar at the moment.
    If he comes to Utd, then I think he will be seen as a Ronaldo type, having the ability to do the unexpected. He's not a pure winger, so he's not really a Nani replacement, but he would be one for the future alright with Kawaga in front of him.
    If it looked like Chelsea were signing him he'd be the second coming of Messi.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭caffrey

People saying they wouldn't mind if rooney goes is a bit harsh, I feel he has had some poor performances however I think he has really sacrificed(transfer stuff aside) himself over the years, both positionally and physically. He has played in many positions purely because he can and he has been rushed back from injury because he is better than the options available.

I know it could be good for making money but I think fergie would find it hard to resist having RVP and Rooney in the same team. Plus with other big stars around there is less pressure. I think the best football we saw recently was with rooney, ronaldo and tevez, three match winners with the pressure spread equally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I think it's absolute bullsh!t that a new poster is being called a "windup merchant" and that he is "fishing" just because ye disagree with his point.

There are fans from rival teams coming here and trolling the **** out of everyone with subtle digs here and there - I'll refrain from naming names but it's quite clear. Call them out, not someone that has a different opinion to you.

Sure, I disagree with chainsawman, but that doesn't mean he is a troll or a WUM.
    Calm down lad.
    To me that post seemed very much like a wind up.If RVP came, Rooney would be sold to cover RVP's wages!

Is a funny feeling an opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

The fact that you thought we were mostly poor last year is the height of hyperbole.

sadly the reality is, that it is not hyperbole. our league position covered alot of cracks. we played how many games last year? for arguments sake, lets say its 50. take out the first 5 games where we played very poor sides to be fair, how many games last year out of the remaining 45 can you honestly say united played well in?

youd need to list 15-20+ at least games to back up your argument here, but lets face it, you will struggle to find them. we won alot of games (norwich X2, west brom X2, fulham h, spurs a, stoke h, qpr X2 etc etc by playing football that the club is not known for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Away from transfer mumblings, this gave me a giggle.

Why!?
    (thousand yard stare)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Although it's not outside of the realms of possibility, it would be a huge step in the wrong direction to offload Rooney. He's one of the undeniably out and out world class footballers we have.

Ask a rival fan to name United's best players and almost invariably Rooney is first mentioned (if not, Vidic).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Dont know much about Lucas but tbh I am just glad United are in for players at the moment, I know chances are they are always on the lookout but at least they seem to have some money behind them. And SAF confirming they are looking at him on SSN makes me happy the future isnt as bleak as I once thought. But then I always seem to be pessimistic when it comes to Utd for some reason I cant understand.

sadly the reality is, that it is not hyperbole. our league position covered alot of cracks. we played how many games last year? for arguments sake, lets say its 50. take out the first 5 games where we played very poor sides to be fair, how many games last year out of the remaining 45 can you honestly say united played well in?

youd need to list 15-20+ at least games to back up your argument here, but lets face it, you will struggle to find them. we won alot of games (norwich X2, west brom X2, fulham h, spurs a, stoke h, qpr X2 etc etc by playing football that the club is not known for.
    Your problem here is that you are going to have to quantify what is poor relative to what I think is poor. All of your work is ahead of you before we can even start a discussion like that. For me, based on nothing more than my general feeling about last year, I felt we wer good to very good in the league and poor to very poor in the CL. I don't give much credence to the Bilbao game. The players didn't seem to either.

• Advertisement

Calm down lad.
    To me that post seemed very much like a wind up.If RVP came, Rooney would be sold to cover RVP's wages!

Is a funny feeling an opinion?

There seems to be a huge increase of people being called trolls and wind-up merchants (on boards and other forums) just because they post a different opinion to the majority of the users on that particular forum.

This guys first post on the United forum was yesterday which was also on the topic of RVP (cash plus Berbatov for RVP). To me, he is clearly trying to get involved in the forum in a positive way.

I will admit though, with the amount of trolls popping in here now and again when their club signs a new player or does anything positive, it's sometimes hard to spot the real trolls ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

just on Homer and Slicks comments about United last season, I would agree with Homer, and say that the points tally can be misleading.

A classic example of this is the Spurs game at the backend of the season - Spurs dominated us for most of that game but we got some good conter attack goals and then played keep ball for the last 20. 3 points and a 3-1 win (i think) but the actually performance was pretty poor for the most part.

Wanted To clarify myself, I am not a wind up merchant or a Troller, I am a Unted fan since 1964 and just wanted to tell what i think. I hope i am wrong about Rooney, he is just a fantastic player who played 100% in every match. But i feel he want to move to Real Madrid like every greatest player on the planet before they retire. That what I thinks. RVP would be a great replacement for Rooney.

Wanted To clarify myself, I am not a wind up merchant or a Troller, I am a Unted fan since 1964 and just wanted to tell what i think. I hope i am wrong about Rooney, he is just a fantastic player who played 100% in every match. But i feel he want to move to Real Madrid like every greatest player on the planet before they retire. That what I thinks. RVP would be a great replacement for Rooney.

Welcome to the forum!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

After the OT city game United went back to basics. Instead of the open football we saw at the start we saw a solid, hard to beat team developed.

Overall United were very good but not exciting nor did they appear to have the potential to break out and be destructive. United best sides could win games through hard work and a bit of class or when they clicked be fantastic to watch. That click was not around post city at OT.

As I said earlier I don't think SAF believed the team could be fluid in attack as well as solid at the back with last seasons squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Selling Rooney is certainly a possibility but it's unlikely I think. Right now he is probably worth the maximum possible amount given that he is the right side of 27 and has scored a bag full of goals last season.

I can only imagine the Glazers thinking a sale of Rooney followed by signing Moura and RVP would be a sensible move financially and it wouldn't create a sh1tstorm from the fans eithere IMO. Big star leaves, big star comes in along with a very promising exciting young Brazilian talent.

We've seen Fergie let go of stars on more than one occasion in the past - Stam, Becks, RVN...

Its unlikely to happen but it wouldn't be a complete shock if it did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Subtle?

djscouse was doin it the last day in a horrendous fashion, could be cause his own thread is ridiculously all over the shop though, ever been in the other threads. Chelsea seems to be down to earth if a little quite. Arsenal is probably the closest to the United thread though, bit more pessimistic atm.

Nemanja Vidic returned to full training this morning.

Get. In.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Nemanja Vidic returned to full training this morning.

Get. In.
    The Serbian beast has returned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Are we the only team in for Lucas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Takes a rival team fan to point this out. Thanks rar!

There really are some clueless people in this thread at times. Nani is easily our best winger to want him replaced by a 19year old brazillian who i'd bet people haven't even see play one club match is idiocy. Idiocy.

Ahem, I did actually already point that out you know! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Rooney can be sold, but he won't be.

To think we'd bring in RVP and get rid of Rooney is absolute nonsense.

Rooney is a media shitstorm waiting to happen, his public contract shenanigans should have seen him out the door tbh.

I'd offload him to RM, who, in fairness, have paid well and been rewarded for any United players they picked up over the years, for a volkswagon golf full of euros.

No, Madrid have had a bid rejected and so have Inter, Inter also met his representatives. Not sure about Madrid.

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    The Serbian beast has returned.

I believe you'll find that the term is metallic Serbian rapist. Please use the correct terminology when addressing the rapey one.

That is great news after a bad news about Smalling last week... Hopefully he willl be fit all season in 2012/2013. United had missed him terribly last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

No, Madrid have had a bid rejected and so have Inter, Inter also met his representatives. Not sure about Madrid.

Ah that old familiar feeling descends again...

Wait, wait, you are telling me you have a negative slant on someone United are interested in? While making sure to get in something positive about someone Chelsea are signing?

Wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

you never answered my text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Ahem, I did actually already point that out you know! :D
    Yeah but everyone bar me has you on ignore at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

FutureGuy has been superb from past few days, he is on something or I haven't noticed him last year. Alongside Kryogen maybe my favorite ManUtd poster on boards.

On the side note, what has happened to Fergie. He is very open about transfers this year.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Trilla wrote: »
    you never answered my text.

He sent it to me by accident, he says it happens to all guys, and not to worry.

Firstly, welcome to the forum, always nice getting new opinions.

Second, I don't see Rooney as a Madrid player if I'm being honest, also, not every great player wants to play for Madrid, it is very often something you find from Latin speaking countries alright, they grew up idolising the great Madrid teams in the same way English and Irish kids grew up idolising the great Liverpool and United teams.

Rooney being sold is not something out of the question, but to sell him to replace with him an older, more injury prone, not even better, RVP would not make any sense.

Van Persie will need to be replaced again in 3 seasons or so anyway so what would the club have gained? Rooney scored 30+ goal last season and imho was not great in a lot of games, but he does have to carry alot of the burden of the teams success on his shoulders so I forgive him some poor performances now and then. He and Nani are out two most potent attackers and I would not want to see either go ideally, but everybody has a price.

Getting back to the main point, Rooney has never expressed a great love of Madrid, he has never even played for a team outside the north west of England. He seems much more settled that way and inclined to stay in England for his career. If he was to be sold he does not have as many options as you might think imo

Felexicon wrote: »
    Yeah but everyone bar me has you on ignore at this stage.

Would you mind following suit then?

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    FutureGuy has been superb from past few days, he is on something or I haven't noticed him last year. Alongside Kryogen maybe my favorite ManUtd poster on boards.

On the side note, what has happened to Fergie. He is very open about transfers this year.
    I've noticed you have a hard-on for Kryogen over the last few days. It's coming across as a serious man crush at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Who's Felex talking to? :P

Would you mind following suit then?
    No way man. I love you.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

I would agree with the consensus here in that a central midfielder is badly needed.

I'm struggling to rationalise the explicit interest Utd have shown in Lucas and van Persie. How does Fergie see us lining up next season?

230712124204.png

Is the above plausible? Both Evra and Valencia like to get forward and hug the touch line, whereas Nani and Lucas (from what I've seen of him) like to cut inside.

I can't visualise a Utd lineup with van Persie in it. Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me to see Fergie neglect the central midfield position again.

The conspiracy theorist in me says the is all just bluster to make it look like we're still in for big players. *puts on tinfoil hat*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Felexicon wrote: »
    I've noticed you have a hard-on for Kryogen over the last few days. It's coming across as a serious man crush at this stage

Thanks for noticing that, bloody hell Kryogen is not getting it. Thanks dude for getting the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

This Lucas business could just be Fergie trying to get Nani to sign a contract....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

IvySlayer wrote: »
    This Lucas business could just be Fergie trying to get Nani to sign a contract....

Maybe nani has said he won't sign and Lucas is a replacement.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement