Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Thanks for noticing that, bloody hell Kryogen is not getting it. Thanks dude for getting the point.
    He likes to play hard to get but 4 Orange Bacardi Breezers and he'll suck a golf ball through a hose pipe

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

FutureGuy has been superb from past few days, he is on something or I haven't noticed him last year. Alongside Kryogen maybe my favorite ManUtd poster on boards.

On the side note, what has happened to Fergie. He is very open about transfers this year.

My ability to post thought-provoking and witty comments is irrevesibly linked to the form of Bebe.

I expect to be either posting on loan in the Colchester Talk/Gossip/Rumours 12/13 forum within the next few weeks or banned for posting altogether until preseason next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I believe you'll find that the term is metallic Serbian rapist. Please use the correct terminology when addressing the rapey one.

I just caught up on 3 days of YLYL, and not so much as a chuckle.
    I'm still laughing at this though!!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Felexicon wrote: »
    No way man. I love you.

If you do love me then please please, do it for me.

Watching all RVN's goals on MUTV, what a finisher he was! Absolutely deadly in the box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Soldie wrote: »
    I would agree with the consensus here in that a central midfielder is badly needed.

I'm struggling to rationalise the explicit interest Utd have shown in Lucas and van Persie. How does Fergie see us lining up next season?

230712124204.png

Is the above plausible? Both Evra and Valencia like to get forward and hug the touch line, whereas Nani and Lucas (from what I've seen of him) like to cut inside.

I can't visualise a Utd lineup with van Persie in it. Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me to see Fergie neglect the central midfield position again.

The conspiracy theorist in me says the is all just bluster to make it look like we're still in for big players. *puts on tinfoil hat*

You do not hand someone the No.7 jersey and then put them in at RB.
    If Lucas is coming it is because someone is leaving IMO. That someone would unfortunately be Nani.

As it stand the possible lineup for the start of the season looks like this to me.

DDG
    ---Rafael
    Rio
    Vidic---Evra---
    Carrick
    Scholes
    --Valencia
    Kagawa
    nani--
    Rooney

If van Persie is brought in it might look like this.

DDG
    ---Rafael
    Rio
    Vidic---Evra---
    Carrick
    Scholes
    --Valencia
    Rooney
    Kagawa--
    vPersie

or you could play with a front 3 of Rooney, vPersie and Wellbeck or Young. The attacking options would be limitless. However I would not see a place for Hernandez in the team anymore.

Me neither, would prefer to cash in on Hernandez now then see him waste his talents warming the bench and sometimes not even that ala Berbatov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

kryogen wrote: »
    Wait, wait, you are telling me you have a negative slant on someone United are interested in? While making sure to get in something positive about someone Chelsea are signing?

Wow

Yes :D

Please, please sign him.
    Dying to see how he turns out ;)

PS
    Please also sell Rooney and Nani :p

Please, please sign him.

PS

Fwiw

I actually agree with some of what you say, Oscar is further along in his development, and I have already said he should be a good signing for ye as he looks to me like someone suited to the English game right now, he would remind me of Fabregas at times, like Ganso his game is not about flashy skills or tricks or extreme pace.

Lucas is a lot more raw, but his potential is huge! Like I said on another page, he would be like signing a Ronaldo or a Nani of a few years ago, still has plenty to work on in terms of decision making in particular, but he is already a fantastic player and really could go on to be the best in the world with luck hard work and the right club.

I would not trade Nani for him at the moment, again I have said that before but it seems like the place in the squad he would be taking. Obviously he is not an out and out winger, but I would argue that neither is Nani tbh, Valencia is the only real true winger we have. Nani is an attacker who plays out wide, he has the ability to roam around and can cause problems for a team from anywhere

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Please, please sign him.

PS

The Arsenal forum users were looking for you just there...better go on over and stay there see what's going on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭caffrey

Quandary wrote: »
    Selling Rooney is certainly a possibility but it's unlikely I think. Right now he is probably worth the maximum possible amount given that he is the right side of 27 and has scored a bag full of goals last season.

I can only imagine the Glazers thinking a sale of Rooney followed by signing Moura and RVP would be a sensible move financially and it wouldn't create a sh1tstorm from the fans eithere IMO. Big star leaves, big star comes in along with a very promising exciting young Brazilian talent.

We've seen Fergie let go of stars on more than one occasion in the past - Stam, Becks, RVN...

Its unlikely to happen but it wouldn't be a complete shock if it did.

I agree with you that it would be sensible financially but in terms of it not being a **** storm I think it might. He is our best player, nobody wants to be associated with selling their best players, inevitable comparisons will be brought to arsenal yada yada. Also those big stars were not the best player and there were also fallings out with SAF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,412 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I said it the other day but Kagawa looked a fair bit like Modric in the last game. No doubt no matter where he plays Fergie will get him to work on his defensive discipline. With someone like Carrick behind him he probably wont have a huge amount of defending to do and could work in a 2 man midfield in a lot of PL games. In the big games then switch to Kags in the hole like he used to do in 2008 and throwing Ronaldo up front on his own only replaced by Rooney in the new era. This would open up a space for Lucas in the team for a lot of games. 90% chance it probably wont happen but I think there is that chance there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I think it's absolute bullsh!t that a new poster is being called a "windup merchant" and that he is "fishing" just because ye disagree with his point.

There are fans from rival teams coming here and trolling the **** out of everyone with subtle digs here and there - I'll refrain from naming names but it's quite clear. Call them out, not someone that has a different opinion to you.

Sure, I disagree with chainsawman, but that doesn't mean he is a troll or a WUM.

+1
    Liam O wrote: »
    I said it the other day but Kagawa looked a fair bit like Modric in the last game. No doubt no matter where he plays Fergie will get him to work on his defensive discipline. With someone like Carrick behind him he probably wont have a huge amount of defending to do and could work in a 2 man midfield in a lot of PL games. In the big games then switch to Kags in the hole like he used to do in 2008 and throwing Ronaldo up front on his own only replaced by Rooney in the new era. This would open up a space for Lucas in the team for a lot of games. 90% chance it probably wont happen but I think there is that chance there...

I don't think Kagawa is like Modric at all really, Modric is about dictating the pace of play and spraying passes from side to side. Kag is about making space, 1 2's and playing in passes to the forwards so they're facing goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

IMO signing Lucas won't make sense at all, we have Young, Nani, Valencia as our wingers and they have at least 6-7 years to offer, it is lot different to when we signed Ronaldo and Nani.

If we spend 30 plus million pounds on Lucas and 15 plus on RVP and ignore CM dept then I will cry :(

And what has happened to Fergie, why is he discussing about transfer targets in press conferences? Is it because of that IPO thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I just had a serious case of deja vu in this thread.

It really is going around in circles!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

lordgoat wrote: »
    People who think Rooney can't be sold need to look again.

I think if RVP comes in he's gone. Wouldn't be to put out over it. Some of his performances last season were awful. I'd be more disappointed over Nani going than Rooney.

You're summing up of Rooney's season as ''some of his performances last season were awful'' is completely unfair. It neglects the fact that the vast majority of his performances were excellent. Rooney had what 2-3 poor performances last year? And he still scored in two of those. I would say he was the second most consistent attacking player in the PL last year, only behind RVP. And Rooney had to do it with an absolutely gash midfield. The amount of games that he dragged us through was unreal.

• Advertisement

IMO signing Lucas won't make sense at all, we have Young, Nani, Valencia as our wingers and they have at least 6-7 years to offer, it is lot different to when we signed Ronaldo and Nani.

If we spend 30 plus million pounds on Lucas and 15 plus on RVP and ignore CM dept then I will cry :(

And what has happened to Fergie, why is he discussing about transfer targets in press conferences? Is it because of that IPO thing?

Changes have to happen. You can't go that length of time with the same team, things would go stale and teams would get used to how you play.

I'd take 60m for Rooney if we got it?

We lost points when Scholes wasn't in the team, instead we should have been talking about losing points when Rooney wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Soldie wrote: »
    I would agree with the consensus here in that a central midfielder is badly needed.

I'm struggling to rationalise the explicit interest Utd have shown in Lucas and van Persie. How does Fergie see us lining up next season?

230712124204.png

Is the above plausible? Both Evra and Valencia like to get forward and hug the touch line, whereas Nani and Lucas (from what I've seen of him) like to cut inside.

I can't visualise a Utd lineup with van Persie in it. Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me to see Fergie neglect the central midfield position again.

The conspiracy theorist in me says the is all just bluster to make it look like we're still in for big players. *puts on tinfoil hat*

not a big fan of these how will we line up, the lineup is going to change from match to match a lot so it isnt like there are goin to be 16 guys gettin games and thats it. Scholes cant be 1st XI at this stage anyway, wont have the legs for enough games to be considered

Pro. F wrote: »
    You're summing up of Rooney's season as ''some of his performances last season were awful'' is completely unfair. It neglects the fact that the vast majority of his performances were excellent. Rooney had what 2-3 poor performances last year? And he still scored in two of those. I would say he was the second most consistent attacking player in the PL last year, only behind RVP. And Rooney had to do it with an absolutely gash midfield. The amount of games that he dragged us through was unreal.

Scholes dragged us through more games tbh.

And Rooney is on 200k now, that's massive. We could buy 2 players with world class potential if we got rid.

Not only did he drag us through but with so few chances, possibly leading to him looking like he didn't play great because he had few chances. Thing is he put em away when needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Rooney had what 2-3 poor performances last year? And he still scored in two of those.

hmm i dunno man, he finished the season really poorly despite scoring a few goals. are you talking about Wigan, Villa and City as those 2-3 games? he hardly set the world alight in practically all of our games in april and may save for one or 2.

he was poor in another 10 if not more, IMO.

• Advertisement

Samich wrote: »

And Rooney is on 200k now, that's massive. We could buy 2 players with world class potential if we got rid.

Agreed! He created the chances, space and something different going forward but rooney was there to put them away too. With Vidic absent scholes and rooney were the ones who won games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

IMO it wasn't 2 or 3 poor performances, it was two or three months of poor performances.

He was poor for the last stretch of the season. His goal scoring was brilliant, but his contribution to general play can be assigned to jogging, letting the ball bounce off him, running into defenders and playing the ball to the opposition or out of play. If his only job was to score goals, then fine - but he is supposed to be our play maker in the final third, and he was rubbish at it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

hmm i dunno man, he finished the season really poorly despite scoring a few goals. are you talking about Wigan, Villa and City as those 2-3 games? he hardly set the world alight in practically all of our games in april and may save for one or 2.

IMO it wasn't 2 or 3 poor performances, it was two or three months of poor performances.

He was poor for the last stretch of the season. His goal scoring was brilliant, but his contribution to general play can be assigned to jogging, letting the ball bounce off him, running into defenders and playing the ball to the opposition or out of play. If his only job was to score goals, then fine - but he is supposed to be our play maker in the final third, and he was rubbish at it.

I'd agree with homer and Mitch. Thought the last 2 months of the season he was poor.

caffrey wrote: »
    Agreed! He created the chances, space and something different going forward but rooney was there to put them away too. With Vidic absent scholes and rooney were the ones who won games

Scholes didn't play against Wigan and we lost, Rooney was absolutely muck.

Didn't even have an ok game, he was terrible.

Was he taken off in that game too?

Rooney was supposed to be our most creative player.

you might be swinging me mitch, his touch was shocking at times last season

Scholes didn't play against Wigan and we lost, Rooney was absolutely muck.

Didn't even have an ok game, he was terrible.

Was he taken off in that game too?

Rooney was supposed to be our most creative player.

He was at fault for the goal in that if i'm not mistaken too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Potential doesn't win titles. I would much prefer to have Rooney and his 25+ goals per season than two young players that are potentially good.

I would imagine that most football supporters (definitely me) would prefer to see success immediately rather than have a team that might potentially win something in a few years.

Selling Rooney would be a massive backwards step for the club, unless he was replaced with equal or better, and the likelihood of finding someone of equal ability would be slim I'd imagine.

I reckon the powers that be would be crazy to even consider it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Rooney has weight issues
    the guy is pretty fat

caffrey wrote: »
    He was at fault for the goal in that if i'm not mistaken too.

You're right, I wouldn't mind that though. It was a well taken goal.

Welbeck did more when he came on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Fabio is apparently doing well at Qpr . Motm in his last game .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I just had a serious case of deja vu in this thread.

It really is going around in circles!

Thread needs the season to start methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

MD1990 wrote: »
    Rooney has weight issues
    the guy is pretty fat

A Liverpool fan calling Rooney fat :eek:.

Also I remember you trying to insist that Rooney's lifestyle was all wrong a few months ago. That made me lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

MD1990 wrote: »
    Rooney has weight issues
    the guy is pretty fat

Where is pest control when you need them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

My god this thread sucks during the summer.

RasTa wrote: »
    My god this thread sucks during the summer.

But how do you expect a thread on football to be excellent, during the months where there is no football? We have to talk about Utd somehow! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

lol at some of the logic being used here.

If we sold players after a couple of poor months we wouldn't have a ****ing squad.

alproctor wrote: »
    Potential doesn't win titles. I would much prefer to have Rooney and his 25+ goals per season than two young players that are potentially good.

United only really bring in youth players though so for the most part that is banking on potential.

Rooney has shown that his form is very much related to how stable he is off field and that aspect of his life I wouldnt rely on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,412 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

alproctor wrote: »

I would imagine that most football supporters (definitely me) would prefer to see success immediately rather than have a team that might potentially win something in a few years.

Selling Rooney would be a massive backwards step for the club, unless he was replaced with equal or better, and the likelihood of finding someone of equal ability would be slim I'd imagine.

I reckon the powers that be would be crazy to even consider it.

Tbh, I'd rather have an 18 year old Rooney and a 19 year old Ronaldo again than have 26 year old Rooney and 28 year old RVP if it was my team. I think a lot of fans (especially United ones) sometimes fail to look to the future and think any season without silverware is a complete disaster.

I'd gladly take 3 years with no silverware if it meant coming out of the other end with a world class team. Not many would agree with me but as a United fan there have been a lot of times that we really shouldn't have had silverware in seasons and it's been pulled out of the bag and I feel satisfied by that while obviously craving immediate success the future years in the fast approaching post Fergie era is more of a concern imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Was Rooney not injured towards the end of the season?

Talk of selling him is a bit daft. Especially when it was a random feeling he was off to Madrid (already stacked with forwards) that sparked the conversation.

Rooneys goals were vital last season. His general performances highllighted how giving Rooney help really important (maybe even more important than getting a midfielder).

Thankfully Kagawa is already signed.

with luck van Persie will arrive to share to goal scoring burden in the short term.

with more luck Welbeck will grow into a real goalscorer for the medium to long term.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

They should shorten the transfer window to one crazy week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

They should shorten the transfer window to one crazy week.

Where the rules of dibs apply :p

abC3ujTaeR.jpg
    Use this11.com for drawing your football tactics

I'd say the lineup will be something along these lines next season.

If we get VP that would mean him and Rooney sharing the top spot and Rooney covering Kagawas a good bit.
    Ando covers Carrick (in Fergie's mind it seems)
    Young looks after wing options (as does Kagawa and maybe Lucas)
    We know about the defence with either Blackett or Brady doing Fabio's job of watching evra from the bench.
    Scholes is will play a selection :) as will Giggs :(

Hernandez and welbeck at the 2 to miss out mostly but some games im sure we'd use a 442 with 1 or both of those lads getting games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

The thing is, it doesn't make any sense to sign both RvP and Lucas, if we get one you'd say fair enough, we could incorporate them into the team, but both is a tough task for SAF.

I think we are genuinely after Lucas, and bidding for RvP to p*ss off City.

I'm talking about Vila and Wigan games. I'm taking the Wigan game on trust because I actually missed that game; lots of people report that he played badly. I said 2-3 games to leave room for a game that I may have forgotten. Sure it could have been four or five off games he had. Nowhere near ten though. You are very wrong there.

Rooney played very well in the City game. He was upfront with zero support and he did excellently. The fact that you see that as a bad performance is just a reflection of the poor treatment that Rooney gets from lots of United fans. And it undermines any claim you are trying to make about him having had lots of bad games.

Scholes played half the season and never lasted more than 60 minutes. Not a chance did he drag us through more games than Rooney.

Scholes was though the only central midfielder (fit and in favour with Fergie anyway) that we had who could play creatively in the centre. So in a way he was more indispensable than Rooney. But that is a different matter.

The money issue is not what we are talking about. I disagreed with someone trying to portray Rooney as having had a bad season. I didn't say anything about what his wages should be.

That's just nonsense. It seems like you have it in for Rooney and it is clouding your judgement.

I do agree that he has had a lot of trouble playing in that number 10 role at times. He just doesn't tend to beat defenders with a bit of skill which can be a problem. But in the last few months, where he had a few poor performances, he still did a lot better overall than what you describe.

Rooney

Nani Lucas Valencia

Kagawa Young

Problem solved.

• Advertisement

I agree with Pro F. More or less Rooney dragged us with our non functional midfield. He dropped deep, linked up play and still scored the goals. Yes he was poor for 1 or 2 months (at stretch) but over all he was good last season, probably our 2nd best player and if we also consider Valencia's first half and Nani's second half of the season then Rooney is our best player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Rooney

Nani Lucas Valencia

Kagawa Young

Problem solved.

Sure just stick RVP up top beside rooney, play 3 at the back and happy out :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

mitch, are you able to provide the ratings for rooney for games in April and May from the voting?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

A Liverpool fan calling Rooney fat :eek:.

Also I remember you trying to insist that Rooney's lifestyle was all wrong a few months ago. That made me lol.
    but he is a fat ape
    WayneRooney_800x544.jpg

mitch, are you able to provide the ratings for rooney for games in April and May from the voting?!

A low rating would hardly disprove my point that lots of United fans are unfairly harsh on Rooney.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement