Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Pro. F wrote: »
    To help take everybody's mind off the absolute shíte that you know Bateman is going to try and subject this thread to here's a cool interview with Rooney. It's really cool, all about how he uses visualisation techniques to help improve his game and decision making and stuff.

Thanks for that. I love reading these kind of articles. Very rarely do we get an honest insight into what makes a player like Rooney stand out from the rest, be world-class. Unfortunately, many of the geniuses playing the game are Spanish and I haven't ever read any interviews with them about their craft.

The visualisation theory was interesting. I remember hearing that before. I think it was Jonny Wilkinson that used it. I remember trying it when I was kicking a rugby ball one day.

I took it more seriously though when I played golf. I basically stood back and visualised every shot that I was hitting. Of course I wasn't all that good at it but it helped me to be a little more successful.

That piece kind of reminds me of an article that I read years ago about David Beckham. It claimed that he was a genius in the field of football physics. I doubt David could do long division, yet he was still a master at physics. Amazing stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

That piece kind of reminds me of an article that I read years ago about David Beckham. It claimed that he was a genius in the field of football physics. I doubt David could do long division, yet he was still a master at physics. Amazing stuff.

Also a thing on Beckham which is amazing.

Look at his standing foot when he's taking a free kick or long pass.

Not sure you can see it great here, kinda small.

But his standing foot actually leaves the ground. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Samich wrote: »
    One reasonable response and one ending with a personal insult.
    My response was reasonable. I think the behaviour I described in your post can definitely be described as tedious. But it's true, Kryogen does have infinitely more patience than I do.
    I won't keep going around in circles, but from what I saw of Bateman when he came back was ok. Said he wasn't sure of De Gea, gave his reasons and that. Might be wrong, but it was his opinion.
    That is nothing remotely like what he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Someone goes against the populist opinion and he's accused of trolling.

It's like communism. The well known posters run the show imo.

Bateman saying that de gea cost Utd the league can be backed up on his side by the no. of points he dropped. That's not a trolling opinion.

If you think David De Gea cost United the league because he made errors which resulted in dropped points, and then TOTALLY DISREGARD THE PERFORMANCES WHICH KEPT US IN GAMES, THUS EARNING US POINTS IN THE BACK END OF THE SEASON, then you have to be considered a troll for sheer lack of common sense.

I'm not accusing you of that of course, but that is why he was told where to go.

But, are you serious? Are you actually serious with the cliques in the thread thing... AGAIN? What in the actual ****. Some people favour the opinion of someone who they know to be sensible, someone who has developed a reputation for good content... Is that wrong? I've said this before, it's not like the regulars meet up in a pub at the start of the month and decide who we do and don't like.

Back your points up, don't talk absolute balls and have a go at players for no reason, talk about things logically and watch as people magically begin to enjoy your contribution.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    If you think David De Gea cost United the league because he made errors which resulted in dropped points, and then TOTALLY DISREGARD THE PERFORMANCES WHICH KEPT US IN GAMES, THUS EARNING US POINTS IN THE BACK END OF THE SEASON, then you have to be considered a troll for sheer lack of common sense.

I'm not accusing you of that of course, but that is why he was told where to go.

But, are you serious? Are you actually serious with the cliques in the thread thing... AGAIN? What in the actual ****. Some people favour the opinion of someone who they know to be sensible, someone who has developed a reputation for good content... Is that wrong? I've said this before, it's not like the regulars meet up in a pub at the start of the month and decide who we do and don't like.

Back your points up, don't talk absolute balls and have a go at players for no reason, talk about things logically and watch as people magically begin to enjoy your contribution.

So Scholes was one of our best players, without him we wouldn't have gotten as many points, I think that can be agreed on.

Someone comes along and says he's too old and shouldn't play anymore.

Is that trolling?

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

ross.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

So Scholes was one of our best players, without him we wouldn't have gotten as many points, I think that can be agreed on.

Is that trolling?
    Catch yourself on lad will you. You're having fcuking whambulances all over boards tonight.
    As I said to you in another thread maybe you should GTFO.

Go to fcuking bed and get out on the other side in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Keno 92 wrote: »
    A few lads have bought my "Keno" t shirts with my face on the front but other than that I can't think of anyone having a fan club.

Have to wear a jumper though, don't wanna scare the kids.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Catch yourself on lad will you. You're having fcuking whambulances all over boards tonight.
    As I said to you in another thread maybe you should GTFO.

Go to fcuking bed and get out on the other side in the morning

Didn't answer my post though "lad"

• Advertisement

Didn't answer my post though "lad"

Firstly, no that would not be trolling IMO, it would be opinion.

Secondly if you're going to get so fcuking sensitive about things maybe you should look for something other than open forums as a medium for expressing your opinions.
    It's common sense FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

stooge wrote: »
    What s drastically needed is a midfielder who can play a bit as well as close down the opposition and make tackles.I think Dembele fits the mould and has the physical presence Utd lack.

Eh what? Dembele can't tackle for sh*t. He is so bad defensively that they had to drop Danny Murphy and put in Diarra so he could have the cover to create/attack.

Eh what? Dembele can't tackle for sh*t. He is so bad defensively that they had to drop Danny Murphy and put in Diarra so he could have the cover to create/attack.
    Thank you. Thought I was the only one there for a while.

Firstly, no that would not be trolling IMO, it would be opinion.

Secondly if you're going to get so fcuking sensitive about things maybe you should look for something other than open forums as a medium for expressing your opinions.
    It's common sense FFS

Ye'r the ones crying about Bateman!

Anyways, this is my last post in the soccer forum. g'luk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Some of the stuff on here in this thread this past while is utter drivel, off topic bull**** and oneupmanship.

Last time I told a couple of posters to stop bitching at each other I was attacked, same people are filling the thread with crap.

Hopefully it's just the off season muppetry and it can get back on track at start of the season, some of the more prominent posters in here (not all, still plenty of good posters) need to cop on though. Just my opinion.

Fenix wrote: »
    Some of the stuff on here in this thread this past while is utter drivel, off topic bull**** and oneupmanship.

Last time I told a couple of posters to stop bitching at each other I was attacked, same people are filling the thread with crap.

Hopefully it's just the off season muppetry and it can get back on track at start of the season, some of the more prominent posters in here (not all, still plenty of good posters) need to cop on though. Just my opinion.

Who are you talking about? If you don't specify who and what you are talking about then the people you are pissed off with can't know to follow your advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Is that trolling?

If someone comes into the Manchester United Superthread and says "Paul Scholes, he's too old and shouldn't play anymore." and nothing else? That is absolutely trolling. Trolling is trying to get a rise out of someone. By coming in here and just saying Scholes is old... What's the purpose of that?

If someone wants to debate the pro's and con's of having Scholes around, absolutely go for it my friend. Personally I think the form we showed after his old ass came back will prove them wrong, but if it's how they feel and they contribute something, then that is just swell.

My biggest problem with Bateman, and another posted I recently felt the need to call out, is that they just bash the players then piss off, offering no alternatives, offering no insight, offering absolutely nothing. If you don't agree with them then you are a "deluded head in the sand merchant". They are the people who pop in once every few weeks and offer nothing but a dig at a few players. You can surely see how those who frequent this thread would prefer someone who contributes a thought out opinion or resources to the thread week-in, week-out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Loads of posts deleted because people seem incapable of acting older than 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

What happened the move for that Crystal Palace right back Clyne,it was reported months ago that a deal had been agreed but there has been noting about it since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

What happened the move for that Crystal Palace right back Clyne,it was reported months ago that a deal had been agreed but there has been noting about it since

Seems to have gone pretty quiet, whether that means the club are ironing out the final details of the deal in private and will announce the signing soon, or maybe it has gotten complicated and the deal has gone cold.

He is out of contract afaik so maybe there are other clubs negotiating with him also and he is taking his time deciding which offer is best for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Thank you. Thought I was the only one there for a while.

Moussa Dembélé made the 2nd most tackles (113) in the PL last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Well yet another quiet evening in the thread it seems, I really need to start staying up later!!!

Just a couple of observations.

As regards there being a clique in the thread, I genuinely dont think there is. However, for new or non-regular posters, I can appreciate why they might get the impression that there is. Now maybe this is because some of the more regular and knowledgeable posters regularly address each other by name, and reply to each other with reasoned debate. Whereas some non-regular posters can give an opinion, not back it up with reasoning, and are called on it by the 'senior' members of the thread. Understandable how some people may think there is a clique.

I have found that if you offer an opinion, whether it is generally accepted or not, it is taken on board by the majority in here, as long as you can explain the reasons for said opinion.

________

I had never posted in any message board website before last year, and I really do enjoy reading this thread, with an occasional input. I can definitely say that over the past year, some of the stuff posted in here has educated me as regards the club, and some of the opinions by a few members on the footballing side of things have been eye-opening.

Nice to actually get opinions of people who are obviously knowledgeable about the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I enjoy reading this thread because the opinions are usually sensible and well backed up. I have friends who irritate me when they say the likes of De Gea, Evans and Nani are poor players. Those are very media driven opinions whereas here, I think it's often more a case of independent thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Can't believe Samich was trying to defend Bateman last night.

They either didn't see what he was up to last August or they are incapable of spotting a troll. Doesn't get much more obvious than Bateman.

What genuine poster posts in a thread, "I'm back...". Farcical stuff. I reported him instantaneously. Surprise it took a few hours to ban him again tbh.

EDIT: Felexicon also talking shít about "fan clubs".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Someone goes against the populist opinion and he's accused of trolling.

It's like communism. The well known posters run the show imo.

Bateman saying that de gea cost Utd the league can be backed up on his side by the no. of points he dropped. That's not a trolling opinion

I must agree with Samich here. I found Batemans banning the other night a little harsh and a little off putting in terms of wanting to contribute to this thread. It seemed like his ban was more about ppl wanting him gone then him doing anything to earn it.

A couple of things first of all

His past reputation didn't do him any favors and his "I'm back" introduction meant he was well aware of how polarising his opinions were but I feel he was banned purely on his past reputation and to keep some of the regular posters happy. There is no doubt he goes against popular opinion regularly but I never found his posts to be aggresive or rude and he usually backed them up, or tried to with his own brand of reasoning.

He was greeted with a stream of "oh not you agains", which is fair enough, and whilst some people responded reasonably to his posts others just asked him to get lost.

His post about Ddg and the twins was not overly sensationalist. De Gae has had a couple of wobblers and he is not the finished article just like the twins who can be hot headed at times. I am willing to give all three a chance where as Bateman thinks at this level there is no room for people to develop and that they should be nearer the finished article when getting a first team place (I remember him making this point before, I disagreed and though it was harsh but could see where he was coming from). An opinion I don't agree with but not one I find to be ludicrous and purely trolling.

I often defend Berbatov, I think he is quality and should start a lot more games and has been treated badly by Fergie this season. Whenever I mention his stats compared to Welbeck or Chicos a "but they are not important goals and he only scores against the lesser teams" debate begins which is fine. Bateman was not extended the same courtesy on this occasion and was banned way too soon imo. Sure if he started to get ridiculous, ban him but I don't think he had.

Also Samich is spot on about the clique, anyone trying to deny it is having a laugh. Its another major off putting factor about this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

just back from 12 days in poland, ive seen f8ck all united related news since before i left, though after reading back through the last page, i think ill wait!

i know we signed Powell as i got a few texts, but heard nothing else. at least the fixture list out and we can start planning to get over the euros hangover.

just back from 12 days in poland, ive seen f8ck all united related news since before i left, though after reading back through the last page, i think ill wait!

i know we signed Powell as i got a few texts, but heard nothing else. at least the fixture list out and we can start planning to get over the euros hangover.

Been pretty quiet on the transfer front besides that, Kagawa still not official but it seems a formality at this stage, nothing new besides that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

With regards to a supposed clique, i'm either part of it without realising, or I don't see it at all.

Plenty of regular posters I have had arguments with regarding Carrick, Berbatov, Giggs, Scholes, Evans, Rafael and De Gea.

On another matter, if you could assume fitness and a reasonable consistency in form, would you reckon the following team would be good enough?

De Gea

Rafael--Ferdinand--Vidic--Evra

Carrick--Cleverley
    Valenica---Kagawa--Nani
    Rooney

I think Carrick and Cleverley could be a great partnership, but it does need Cleverley to maintain fitness (interview floating around on the net today where he discusses that).

Also, with regards to the backline, who is going to be first choice CBs this season? I can't work it out at all.

The way I see it, there are two pairings that Fergie has used - Smalling with Vidic and Evans with Ferdinand. Evans was superb for us last season, but I think he has been a rubbish pairing with Smalling (both at fault) so I don't see them as a pairing to go with. Evans and Vidic could work, remember it doing well previous to last season. Then... what do we do with Jones? Personally I think we should groom him as a defensive midfielder. Not in the Makalele mould, but more so Yaya Toure, if you know what I mean. I think his workrate, power and enthusiasm suit that role the most. His driving runs are more usefull for us here and less dangerous from our own defensive perspective too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Never mind who we signed and anything UTD related, that all pales in comparison to something major that happened to the soccer forum on boards while you were away. Something that means it will never be the same again.

A thread called Euro 2012 politically incorrect photos of hot girlies in the crowd was started

Do yourself a favor and check it out

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056664734

Bookies have odds on us to sign Modric but I honestly just don't see it happening.
    Not much else happening afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Eathrin wrote: »
    Bookies have odds on us to sign Modric but I honestly just don't see it happening.
    Not much else happening afaik

Why not? He's got no Champions League football to look forward to, Harry's gone, United are finally copping on and spending the funds they need to compete. So with no reason to stay and United willing to spend...there's every chance.

• Advertisement

leggo wrote: »
    Why not? He's got no Champions League football to look forward to, Harry's gone, United are finally copping on and spending the funds they need to compete. So with no reason to stay and United willing to spend...there's every chance.

Wasn't Levy always pretty involved in Spurs' transfer activity?
    We haven't made a signing of that magnitude since Berba, and I'm happy to continue that policy as it's almost impossible to recoup £30millions worth or so when it's spent on players in their mid to late twenties.
    Of course you can't put a price on success but that's a whole different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Never mind who we signed and anything UTD related, that all pales in comparison to something major that happened to the soccer forum on boards while you were away. Something that means it will never be the same again.

A thread called Euro 2012 politically incorrect photos of hot girlies in the crowd was started

Do yourself a favor and check it out

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056664734

actually seen 3 or 4 of these in person, i was at 5 games in total and some of them were sitting just below us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Eathrin wrote: »
    Wasn't Levy always pretty involved in Spurs' transfer activity?
    We haven't made a signing of that magnitude since Berba, and I'm happy to continue that policy as it's almost impossible to recoup £30millions worth or so when it's spent on players in their mid to late twenties.
    Of course you can't put a price on success but that's a whole different story.

Ask city about putting a price on success, you can do it......
    Roughly half a billion all in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

kippy wrote: »
    Ask city about putting a price on success, you can do it......
    Roughly half a billion all in.

Pretty sure I saw an interview with David Gill in the last couple of weeks where he did exactly that, quantitatively explaining in detail how Berbatov's transfer was demonstrably profitable relative to the teams' success since he's been in the squad. Had a quick look there but couldn't find it, maybe someone else has read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

actually seen 3 or 4 of these in person, i was at 5 games in total and some of them were sitting just below us.

Seen you were at a few of the Polish games, please tell me you seen this Goddess in person, Natalia+Siwiec+Euro+2012+%281%29.jpg
    I'll just leave that there :)

That Cleverly interview was alright.
    He raised some issues about his injuries and said he doesn't want to be labelled as injury prone, when all his injuries have come from impact/tackles.
    The ankle injury, Broken leg, Dislocated shoulder and Knee ligaments were all from tackles he said, it's not like I'm constantly getting thigh or hamstring strains.

Can't wait for the new season to begin. The euros are great and all, but I miss United.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Pretty sure I saw an interview with David Gill in the last couple of weeks where he did exactly that, quantitatively explaining in detail how Berbatov's transfer was demonstrably profitable relative to the teams' success since he's been in the squad. Had a quick look there but couldn't find it, maybe someone else has read it.

Yeah he said comething like the transfer had been a successful one due to the season where Berba scored 20 league goals, he said that was what put the deal over the top.

Remember reading the comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Also, with regards to the backline, who is going to be first choice CBs this season? I can't work it out at all.

I really feel after the season evans had he should be giving a run of games along side vidic (hopefully he makes a full recovery)

Jonny showed to me at least last year that giving the time and enough responsibility he can make the step up to 1st team regular. Don't get me wrong I still like rio and smalling or jones have done nothing wrong but this would be my preference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Has anyone heard anything about vidic's progress in the last few weeks?? whether he'll be back for the start of the new season??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

nicklauski wrote: »
    Seen you were at a few of the Polish games, please tell me you seen this Goddess in person, Natalia+Siwiec+Euro+2012+%281%29.jpg
    I'll just leave that there :)

Natalia Siwiec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Has anyone heard anything about vidic's progress in the last few weeks?? whether he'll be back for the start of the new season??

latest public news is that he will not being going on the pre-season tour but should be fit is on course for being fit for the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

latest public news is that he will not being going on the pre-season tour but should be fit is on course for being fit for the start of the season.

Will be like a new signing if he can return to his best. I think united really missed a leader last season and perhaps if vidic was around for all of it , the goal difference at the end of the season wouldn't have been so significant.

I must agree with Samich here. I found Batemans banning the other night a little harsh and a little off putting in terms of wanting to contribute to this thread. It seemed like his ban was more about ppl wanting him gone then him doing anything to earn it.

A couple of things first of all

His past reputation didn't do him any favors and his "I'm back" introduction meant he was well aware of how polarising his opinions were but I feel he was banned purely on his past reputation and to keep some of the regular posters happy. There is no doubt he goes against popular opinion regularly but I never found his posts to be aggresive or rude and he usually backed them up, or tried to with his own brand of reasoning.

He was greeted with a stream of "oh not you agains", which is fair enough, and whilst some people responded reasonably to his posts others just asked him to get lost.

His post about Ddg and the twins was not overly sensationalist. De Gae has had a couple of wobblers and he is not the finished article just like the twins who can be hot headed at times. I am willing to give all three a chance where as Bateman thinks at this level there is no room for people to develop and that they should be nearer the finished article when getting a first team place (I remember him making this point before, I disagreed and though it was harsh but could see where he was coming from). An opinion I don't agree with but not one I find to be ludicrous and purely trolling.

I often defend Berbatov, I think he is quality and should start a lot more games and has been treated badly by Fergie this season. Whenever I mention his stats compared to Welbeck or Chicos a "but they are not important goals and he only scores against the lesser teams" debate begins which is fine. Bateman was not extended the same courtesy on this occasion and was banned way too soon imo. Sure if he started to get ridiculous, ban him but I don't think he had.

Also Samich is spot on about the clique, anyone trying to deny it is having a laugh. Its another major off putting factor about this thread.

How everyone that keeps thinking Bateman had a point without addressing the "De Gea saved us more points than he lost us" fact are clearly just wandering in and skimming over half the posts. It looks really stupid when you do this.

You literally come in, regurgitate a post from a known troll, that among other things, has had countless counter arguments put against it and then think you actually have a point without addressing any of those counters!?

And this clique argument, I'm ginger, definitely not part of any clique, so get de fúck with that nonsense or open a thread about it in conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

With regards to a supposed clique, i'm either part of it without realising, or I don't see it at all.

Plenty of regular posters I have had arguments with regarding Carrick, Berbatov, Giggs, Scholes, Evans, Rafael and De Gea.

On another matter, if you could assume fitness and a reasonable consistency in form, would you reckon the following team would be good enough?

De Gea

Rafael--Ferdinand--Vidic--Evra

Carrick--Cleverley
    Valenica---Kagawa--Nani
    Rooney

I think Carrick and Cleverley could be a great partnership, but it does need Cleverley to maintain fitness (interview floating around on the net today where he discusses that).

The way I see it, there are two pairings that Fergie has used - Smalling with Vidic and Evans with Ferdinand. Evans was superb for us last season, but I think he has been a rubbish pairing with Smalling (both at fault) so I don't see them as a pairing to go with. Evans and Vidic could work, remember it doing well previous to last season. Then... what do we do with Jones? Personally I think we should groom him as a defensive midfielder. Not in the Makalele mould, but more so Yaya Toure, if you know what I mean. I think his workrate, power and enthusiasm suit that role the most. His driving runs are more usefull for us here and less dangerous from our own defensive perspective too.

What are you thinkin!? That lineup contains all utd players!! Should include at least 3 players utd dont own or have been linked with by the daily mail or caught offside in the last month!

I think your right about Jones though, I see his future in a defensively minded midfield role, especially if we don't spend on one this summer. It could take him a while but as you've said he's got the right attributes to make him a very good player in the (hate saying it) yaya type mould...

Evans for me, made too much progress last season in Vida's absence, if dropped again now, could well go backwards again, I'd personally love to try him again with a fully fit Vidic, hopefully he can pick up where he left off and maybe even kick on.

As for thee DDG debate, there is no doubt he was shaky in the early parts of the season but he's 20 and needed time to adjust and settle in, his form in the seccond half of the season was enough to convince me that he will (hopefully) be utd's #1 for a fair few years to come... Oh how Spain are blessed with GK's...

That said Batemans post was rediculous and would have derailed the thread to nonsensical levels so the ban was justified imo
    TheTownie wrote: »
    Can't believe Samich and Felexicon were trying to defend Bateman last night.

They either didn't see what he was up to last August or they are incapable of spotting a troll. Doesn't get much more obvious than Bateman.

What genuine poster posts in a thread, "I'm back...". Farcical stuff. I reported him instantaneously. Surprise it took a few hours to ban him again tbh.

How in the mother of God can you call this defending him. At least read something before you blurt out an ill informed opinion on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Will be like a new signing if he can return to his best. I think united really missed a leader last season and perhaps if vidic was around for all of it , the goal difference at the end of the season wouldn't have been so significant.

With vidic I really do think we would have won the league if he had stayed fit. He has got to be worth a few points. Amazing really how close it was without him. If city lost kompany they would have really struggled in my eyes

Just got to hope now that this doesn't start a regular occurrence with injurys with him.

• Advertisement

I really hope Fergie dosen't persist with playing Phil Jones at RB. There were numerous times in the last few games of the season when moves broke down due to his poor passing ability. He also dosen't seem to understand how to support a player like Valencia and the two of them constantly got too close together meaning niether could do anything.
    The way it looks at the moment Fergie is using Jones as a new John O'Shea. Jack of all trades, master of none. Jones will be an outstanding CB but needs to play there for an extended period alongside the likes of Vidic to properly learn his trade.

I don't think your team line up will be far off Mitch, I think Anderson/Clev and Scholes will all be used in the deeper midfield positions alongside Carrick, maybe if Jones is going to be used in a DM mode in the next few years he will get a few games there aswell to get him more comfortable there.

Really is a good team there, could obviously be improved upon, but I have to admit that I would be content with that team, assuming Clev and Ando stay fit. The major problem with that is that you just can't trust that they will.

Strootman would be a nice addition, I suspect we will know sooner rather then later if we have a genuine interest in him or not and if he is gettable for us.

Regarding the centre backs, I seem to have the opposite memory of Evans and Vidic playing together, I thought they were a poor combination, that Vidic was giving Evans a lot of stick during games and that they didn't seem to have the best relationship. This could have all changed over time of course.

The future is surely Smalling and Evans together at the heart of defence and I would like to see them play more together where appropriate because they will have to be allowed to develop an understanding and partnership if they are to be the future cb combination.

Rio and Evans is too weak aerially for me, we really missed Vidic in that department and at least Smalling gives better aerial ability to the defence when played, ideally I would always want one of Smalling or Vidic to be in the team, the cb problem is a nice one to have, but it is still a problem, Smalling is too good to be on the bench, Evans showed last year that when played regularly he is a high performance defender, he doesn't deserve to drop out.

Vidic is Vidic, he is our captain and our leader, Ferdinand is coming to the end but can still do a job as he proved last year, he was immense in so many games, but he will probably be more likely to accept a more limited role this season, Jones will have to get games to help his development, if he is to be a centre back in the future then he has to be played there for experience.

Rafael has done enoughg to make the right back spot his and does deserve to play there, so taking him out of the team just so Jones and Smalling can be given game time isn't ideal either. A nice problem, but still a problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

How in the mother of God can you call this defending him. At least read something before you blurt out an ill informed opinion on it

Oh apologies, I knew I had an issue with what you had said just associated you with the wrong issue. :pac:

My issue with you was the "fan club" bullshít. Ya... thats just not the case.

TheTownie wrote: »
    Oh apologies, I knew I had an issue with what you had said just associated you with the wrong issue. :pac:

My issue with you was the "fan club" bullshít. Ya... thats just not the case.

Cool. Not going to get into it, but it can appear that way sometimes to new posters. I'm sure my skin will thicken as time goes on

If injuries are anything like they were last season, all defenders will see plenty of pitch time. Fingers crossed that's not the case though. I can see Ferdinand on the bench quite often next season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement