Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Interview with Anderson

MANCHESTER United midfielder Anderson has admitted he is facing an Old Trafford crossroads.

Four years ago, it was the Brazilian preparing for Olympic duty, ultimately collecting a bronze medal in Beijing.

It marked the start of a second impressive season with United, after his first had brought glory in the form of a Premier League title and the Champions League, when he was introduced purely to take a penalty in the shoot-out victory over Chelsea.

Within 18 months, his career had taken a sharp downturn.

Returning home without his manager’s permission brought Anderson a hefty fine.

There was more punishment to come though, because in February 2010 he suffered a cruciate injury from which he has never properly recovered.

It means that, after two-and-a-half years of problems and despite having a contract that runs until 2015, Anderson realises what happens over the coming weeks is likely to determine whether he has a future with the Premier League giants.

“The last two years have been very difficult,” he said. “No-one wants a player who has a lot of injuries.

“But I am still young. I am only 24. And I believe I can get through this.

“All summer I stayed in Europe to work on my knee. Now I am 100%. I don’t have any more injuries. I don’t have a problem.”

Anderson’s fitness problems are the most obvious reason why Sir Alex Ferguson’s squad has been so evidently short of midfield options.

Both Paul Scholes and Michael Carrick bring finesse to the United engine room, and a clear touch of class, but in the absence of Darren Fletcher Anderson would be the one to provide energy.

In the overall analysis of last season’s thrilling failure to retain the title, it has largely been overlooked that Anderson was part of that swashbuckling start that earned such rare praise.

He even managed to score a couple of goals, something he had found difficulty with in his early years.

Typically, it was too good to last and another knee injury consigned Anderson to a further spell on the sidelines.

When he made a surprise return against Blackburn – in a game more notable for the axing of Wayne Rooney – the South American got injured again. And that was his season finished.

“This is a very big season for me,” he said, following Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Ajax Cape Town, which he started in a wide left position.

“In my first three years we won everything; Champions League, Premier League, Carling Cup. But then I suffered a cruciate injury and had a bad problem.

“I tried to push through it when I came back but it was still sore. Sometimes it was bad and the pain stayed. Sometimes you think you might have to change clubs but I love it here.

“The club has always helped me, as have the other players. I have worked so hard trying to get right.”

Should Anderson recapture fitness, and then form, he could save United an awful lot of money.

Ferguson does view the midfield area as a bit of a problem, which will only get worse in 12 months’ time when he expects Scholes to finally end his stellar career.

Confirmation of a bid for Robin van Persie has made United fans wonder if Ferguson is intent on trying to get by without the marquee midfield signing many feel is a matter of urgency. Anderson does not believe it has to be that way.

After all, when he has stayed injury-free for any extended period, his performances have been quite good.

“Manchester United have some good players; Scholes, Carrick, Cleverley, Giggs,” he said. “If we bring in new players it will help even more, although you could say that about any club.

“The thing is, if I stay fit, I can be that player. I can be a success at United. You have seen, when I don’t have a problem, I play well.

“The problems come when I have an injury. After six or seven games last season it felt as though one leg was 30% weaker than the other.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,230 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Now I am 100%. I don’t have any more injuries. I don’t have a problem.

Guaranteed to be out injured by September then. Don't wish it on the guy obviously but I have no faith whatsoever in him.

The leg injuries he has had have been pretty bad especially the age he had them, broken leg, cruciate etc, he may be a chronic case now alright. Shame though, I really like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

This is my first attempt at a Utd sig.
    What do you guys think?
    ShinkiKagzilla.jpg

Eathrin wrote: »
    This is my first attempt at a Utd sig.
    What do you guys think?
    ShinkiKagzilla.jpg

RACIST!!!!!!!!!

Na, I quite like it actually

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    RACIST!!!!!!!!!

Immediate reaction I was expecting, but sure, it's not really is it?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

It's a smidge racist but it's absolutely brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Pure awesomeness sig imo.

Thread needed more giant reptiles too, so you got that covered.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    It's a smidge racist but it's absolutely brilliant!

Well I'm proud of it for what it is. Obviously I can't do the stuff you do but I make do with experimentation:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

In other news lads I've got a Kagawa sig going if anybody wants it ahead of the new season. Poster must have 25 or more posts in the thread (I think thats fair?).

One for me too please. Would love to have a De Gea one than Kagawa though if that is possible.

Thanks..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

@UtdIndonesiaTGR: We had offers from Madrid, Chelsea etc but Lucas just wants to go to Manchester United." - Father of Lucas Moura

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

@UtdIndonesiaTGR: We had offers from Madrid, Chelsea etc but Lucas just wants to go to Manchester United." - Father of Lucas Moura

Deal is off according to the agent on Sky Sports News.

I think they'll still sell. 20m+ is a huge amount of money for a Brazilian club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

so if the deal is off, then same s*it all over again as Wesley S and Hazard. we have the 30million or so, just wont go that extra mile to spend it.

hopefully this time they actually go and buy somebody else and not just give up. considering we are trying to buy this lad and that lad and they fergie comes out with "happy with the squad" is just so frustrating.

Dembele next target?

so if the deal is off, then same s*it all over again as Wesley S and Hazard. we have the 30million or so, just wont go that extra mile to spend it.

To be fair to Fergie, he can't just pay whatever ridiculous fee the selling club command. Maybe he doesn't think Lucas is worth 30m.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

To be fair to Fergie, he can't just pay whatever ridiculous fee the selling club command. Maybe he doesn't think Lucas is worth 30m.

This. I'm actually glad we have a manager that knows when enough is enough. Over the last 18 months, we have seen rediculous money being thrown at players who aren't worth a half of the agreed fees. The kid clearly has promise, but from we have read, it seems that Fergie has a figure he won't go over and we have now reached this figure.

I still think he will sign eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

It probably isnt the club, its probably Wagner Ribeiro. He is a transfer muppet of an agent

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Went ahead and made you a Kagawa one anyway:

FutureKag.jpg
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/mikeyt086/FutureKag.jpg

I hope that actually says Shinji Kagawa in Japanese and someone didn't edit the Wiki page as a joke! :pac: Hope you like it.

Thanks man, looks super! I'll have to get home to add it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope it's part of the negotiations. (But aren't United supposed to say it's off?)
    Hopefully Moura is keen enough on the move to force it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Would not worry me if the deal is off, United have enough Midfielders , Fergie is a shrewd buyer, His record had shown that. I still think RVP will come to United eventually. RVP will want a Premiership League medal before he retires otherwise in 100 years time, he will not be remembered a great player.Or His grandson will be asking him for any winning medals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Would not worry me if the deal is off, United have enough Midfielders , Fergie is a shrewd buyer, His record had shown that.

I disagree with that when it comes to midfielders Ferguson is "shrewd".

The last midfielder he purchased and who plays regularly is Carrick. in 2006. He declined to buy him from WHU 2 years earlier, then went for him after 2 seasons at spurs, at an inflated price. Hardly Shrewd.

The midfield players who have done well for United have mostly come through the ranks, and I'm not suggesting that is a bad thing, just that Ferguson doesn't have an eye for a midfielder.

I do realise he signed Keane. But that's two purchased midfielders in almost 30 years in charge who have been fixtures in the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Pj! wrote: »

Hope it's part of the negotiations. (But aren't United supposed to say it's off?)

By the sounds of what is being reported on Sky Sports News its the agent talking sh1te and looking to up his own fee. SAF was saying at the weekend he thought Hazard was a good player but not worth the 34million Chelsea paid, 6million was paid Hazards agent for that transfer which knowing how SAF feels about agents would be enough to turn him off that transfer.

I reckon there could be another twist to this one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

donalg1 wrote: »

By the sounds of what is being reported on Sky Sports News its the agent talking sh1te and looking to up his own fee. SAF was saying at the weekend he thought Hazard was a good player but not worth the 34million Chelsea paid, 6million was paid Hazards agent for that transfer which knowing how SAF feels about agents would be enough to turn him off that transfer.

I sure hope so as we need one more central midfielder- are there any other candidates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

donalg1 wrote: »

Yeah I think so too. But United won't f*** around either. We won't know until United's next press conference. If it is off Fergie will say as much.

Not selling would be a big gamble to Sao Paolo. They're losing 10% ownership in the player come August.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭VW 1

Des wrote: »
    Would not worry me if the deal is off, United have enough Midfielders , Fergie is a shrewd buyer, His record had shown that.

The last midfielder he purchased and who plays regularly is Carrick. in 2006. He declined to buy him from WHU 2 years earlier, then went for him after 2 seasons at spurs, at an inflated price. Hardly Shrewd.

The midfield players who have done well for United have mostly come through the ranks, and I'm not suggesting that is a bad thing, just that Ferguson doesn't have an eye for a midfielder.

I do realise he signed Keane. But that's two purchased midfielders in almost 30 years in charge who have been fixtures in the team.

What about Paul Ince and Brian McClair. Prior to the fledglings they were two purchases that were pretty good for the club. From 92 - 00 scholes Butt Keane were important midfielders for us, for the most part it didn't need strengthening.

Fergie can spot and buy a midfielder when he has to, problem is, he doesn't seem to see the problem right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Yeah I think so too. But United won't f*** around either. We won't know until United's next press conference. If it is off Fergie will say as much.

Not selling would be a big gamble to Sao Paolo. They're losing 10% ownership in the player come August.

I think you are right about Sao Paolo wanting to sell, his agent is just looking for another few quid, I just hopes he doesnt annoy SAF enough for him to say he isnt going to deal with this agent for the next few years. Tevez's agent really p1ssed him off so wont want a repeat of that.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Fergie can spot and buy a midfielder when he has to, problem is, he doesn't seem to see the problem right now.
    This is a contradiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

What about Paul Ince and Brian McClair. Prior to the fledglings they were two purchases that were pretty good for the club. From 92 - 00 scholes Butt Keane were important midfielders for us, for the most part it didn't need strengthening.

Just on this McClair was a striker, and a very good one at that. When he was converted to midfield no one was more surprised than me. Same goes for Alan Smith really, decent striker 'who did a job' in midfield.

Its actually a good point on the midfielders bought by Fergie who became regular starters. Neil Webb is another one, although he was injury prone.

Although in fairness Hargreaves is defo someone who would have been picked if he only managed to stay fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭SilverFox261

It sounds to me like the agent is trying to delay the deal until the Olympics start. He's taking a chance that if Lucas plays as well as expected it'll kick off a bidding war.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

This is a contradiction.

not really, he is saying he believes SAF is more than capable of picking out a midfield player to buy.

its just that SAF does not seem to think he needs one.

you can add Hargreaves and Anderson to the list of good signings. I know they suffered from injury but as players they brought the right attributes, skills to the side.

I wouldn't agree with the overall point though, Veron, Miller, Djemba Djemba, Kleberson etc suggest that SAF deciding t o buy a midfielder does not mean the player would be a success in the team. In saying that, Veron, if 8 years younger would be perfect for United now.

Although in fairness Hargreaves is defo someone who would have been picked if he only managed to stay fit.

He was bought injured though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Paul Ince ?

Appearances: 281 (276 starts + 5 subs)
    Goals: 29

True, but the point I was making is that the record of Fergie for buying and playing midfielders is very poor in nigh on 3 decades of managing. Hargreaves defo would have been one of those players played without question.

True, but the point I was making is that the record of Fergie for buying and playing midfielders is very poor in nigh on 3 decades of managing. Hargreaves defo would have been one of those players played without question.

I think this is nonsense though, for how much of these three decades did we desperately fall short in midfield and need to buy??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Giggs as well. United dont tend to cycle through midfielders that much in fairness.

• Advertisement

This is a contradiction.

Not the way I had meant it, he can obviously spot a talented midfielder and has shown in the past with some purchases, but he doesn't see a problem with our central midfield options right now.

Not the way I had meant it, he can obviously spot a talented midfielder and has shown in the past with some purchases, but he doesn't see a problem with our central midfield options right now.

Where are you getting this assumption from? Here's a quote from a few days ago from SAF himself:
    But we do have an issue in central midfield, there is no doubt about that because getting a Scholes or a Carrick is very difficult these days.

We have the boy Powell coming through but he is young and, although he is a very good talent, he will eventually be a midfield player.

Carrick has always had slow starts (to a season). He denies this, he doesn't think that's true, but I do."

link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Funny that Fergie can see that Carrick always has a slow start but is blind to the fact he turns like the Stena Line.

Sacramento wrote: »

Where are you getting this assumption from? Here's a quote from a few days ago from SAF himself:
    But we do have an issue in central midfield, there is no doubt about that because getting a Scholes or a Carrick is very difficult these days.

We have the boy Powell coming through but he is young and, although he is a very good talent, he will eventually be a midfield player.

Carrick has always had slow starts (to a season). He denies this, he doesn't think that's true, but I do."

link

He can say what he wants in interviews, he often says things that aren't true to the press.

My assertion that he doesn't see a problem in central midfield comes from the fact he hasn't made a purchase there since 2008, you can't argue with that.

He can say what he wants in interviews, he often says things that aren't true to the press.

My assertion that he doesn't see a problem in central midfield comes from the fact he hasn't made a purchase there since 2008, you can't argue with that.

We did sign a highly rated youngster called Pogba in 2009 whom Ferguson was upset to let go. Also in 2008 we had just signed Anderson, and Hargreaves. The season before that we signed Carrick, the one before that we signed Park. How many seasons in a row can we sign a CM? I've seen plenty evidence of him trying to sign centre mids after that, sure he says "no value in the market" but he does see an issue there IMO (I judge on his actions as well as what he says.)

I think I'm going to find it hard to argue with you when you seem to think you know what Sir Alex Ferguson is thinking, even when he publicly states otherwise himself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I liked this quote from SAF - about the future and his current under 23 options

I could play De Gea, Rafael, Jones, Smalling, Evans at the back, Cleverley, Powell, Lingard, Kagawa in midfield and Welbeck with Chicarito up front.

Its not bad is it?

I know Lingard and Powell are unkowns but its still pretty impressive!

Add in Fabio, Macheda, Amos, the impressive Wooton for the bench.

Sacramento wrote: »

We did sign a highly rated youngster called Pogba in 2009 whom Ferguson was upset to let go. Also in 2008 we had just signed Anderson, and Hargreaves. The season before that we signed Carrick, the one before that we signed Park. How many seasons in a row can we sign a CM? I've seen plenty evidence of him trying to sign centre mids after that, sure he says "no value in the market" but he does see an issue there IMO (I judge on his actions as well as what he says.)

I think I'm going to find it hard to argue with you when you seem to think you know what Sir Alex Ferguson is thinking, even when he publicly states otherwise himself.

You go by what he says, and I'll go by his actions so.

If he thinks we need a CM why is he buying wingers strikers and arrackin midfielders. There are more than just 8-10 options that would be an improvement on what we currently have I am sure. Of all of those options we could probably attract and afford at least one.

Anderson Park and Hargreaves are examples of players who never nailed down a starting spot for a sustained period, and Pogba was a kid when we signed him and still not a footballer mature enough for first team ball at this level so not quite sure what your point is here.

Fact is, regardless of what he says in interviews, CM is a problem and we don't appear to be signing anyone in that position.

Really is a slow news day.

Looking forward to the next friendly in China, tomorrow at 8 against Shanghai Shenhua. Hopefully its on one of the channels I can pick up on my ATV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

just chatting to a lad from our Italian team at work, (he is a Juve fan) about Pogba and he is adament that nothing official has been done as regards him signing for the Club. he is not listed anywhere on their squads.

funniest part of the converstion was him saying to me "i think he will play in the second team anyway if he does sign"....:D which will be some shock for him.

has anybody seen anything to confirm it apart form Fergie saying it a few weeks back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

just chatting to a lad from our Italian team at work, (he is a Juve fan) about Pogba and he is adament that nothing official has been done as regards him signing for the Club. he is not listed anywhere on their squads.

funniest part of the converstion was him saying to me "i think he will play in the second team anyway if he does sign"....:D which will be some shock for him.

has anybody seen anything to confirm it apart form Fergie saying it a few weeks back?

nope - no official confirmation. Turkish Airlines have him, Park and an injured Smalling in their splash for their competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Yeah, Juve haven't confirmed his signature yet. It's really odd.

Either Ferguson was hugely mistaken or he is for all intents and purposes a Juve player but they haven't confirmed his signing as of yet due to some technicality that relates to compensation or something.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I liked this quote from SAF - about the future and his current under 23 options

I could play De Gea, Rafael, Jones, Smalling, Evans at the back, Cleverley, Powell, Lingard, Kagawa in midfield and Welbeck with Chicarito up front.

Its not bad is it?

I know Lingard and Powell are unkowns but its still pretty impressive!

Add in Fabio, Macheda, Amos, the impressive Wooton for the bench.

To say these three unproven players are the future of the club is a bit overoptimistic no?
    I know Cleverley is already first team, but he has yet to play enough games to properly prove himself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Really is a slow news day.

Looking forward to the next friendly in China, tomorrow at 8 against Shanghai Shenhua. Hopefully its on one of the channels I can pick up on my ATV

It's 8pm local time, 2pm over here afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It's 8pm local time, 2pm over here afaik.

1pm Kick Off tomorrow, UK time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement