Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

kryogen wrote: »
    Enough for Europe?

Don't engage!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭conor360

Just seeing there now that Brady was playing against Shanghai , where was he playing and how did he do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Enough for Europe?

Yep, Possibly, Sir Alex made a mistake putting out a weak team , Wont happen again this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Wrong Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Yep, Possibly, Sir Alex made a mistake putting out a weak team , Wont happen again this season.

I don't mean just getting out of the group stage though, the club has higher goals then that, do you think the current team is good enough to beat Real, Barca, Bayern etc etc etc

Not can it get past the teams like Basel in a group stage. I don't think the team has a realistic chance of lifting the trophy with the midfield it currently has, it is frustrating because I think we are just one quality midfield signing away from really competing with the best of the best in European football.

Also, this putting out weakened teams stuff is a bit of a cop out, the players selected should have been good enought o get the job done. It was as much about mentality as team selection imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

I don't mean just getting out of the group stage though, the club has higher goals then that, do you think the current team is good enough to beat Real, Barca, Bayern etc etc etc

Not can it get past the teams like Basel in a group stage. I don't think the team has a realistic chance of lifting the trophy with the midfield it currently has, it is frustrating because I think we are just one quality midfield signing away from really competing with the best of the best in European football.

Also, this putting out weakened teams stuff is a bit of a cop out, the players selected should have been good enought o get the job done. It was as much about mentality as team selection imo

You are right, but Sir Alex had made it known when on TV interview this week that Premiership Title is his main priorty this season. I for one agree with him, To regain the Title from the noisy neighbour is very important to United and the fans . United have more home based players than City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. Will be exciting to see how they fared in the new season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Probably shouldn't laugh....
    Manchester United stars were left stranded on their coach on a busy road in Shanghai after their driver was hauled away by police. He was marched off for questioning after apparently using the wrong lane.

The bus, emblazoned with the team name, was quickly surrounded by crowds of fans wanting to get pictures of their heroes.

After about 15 minutes, the driver was released and a United source told the M.E.N. that his arrival back onto the coach was greeted with cheers from the players.

The players then started singing: ‘We’ll drive where we want, we’ll drive where we want, we’re Man United, we’ll drive where we want’ adapting the words of a famous Old Trafford chant.

From here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

This whole "noisy neighbour" label for City, does this make anyone else cringe?
    I did find it funny at first but now that they are a footballing force, I really think it has ran it's course. If anything now it sounds like bitterness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

alproctor wrote: »

From here

Carrick was at fault there, should have told the driver which lane to drive in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

From here

That is brilliant! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

killwill wrote: »
    This whole "noisy neighbour" label for City, does this make anyone else cringe?
    I did find it funny at first but now that they are a footballing force, I really think it has ran it's course. If anything now it sounds like bitterness.
    +1 that term has more than ran it's course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

yabadabado wrote: »
    I know its probably BS but I would much rather we went after Sahin,he will be sitting on the bench again at Real.Huge waste of talent,he only made around 10 apprences last season and I cant see him getting much more this season,especially if they sign Modric.
    IMO he would fit in perfectly in our MF.

As unbelievable as it may seem there might actually be some truth in this. Spanish media are reporting that Sahin is to go on loan to a big PL team for this season. Arsenal seem to be the favourites.

Would like to see us getting him even if it was only for one season. Although that would just delay the whole process for another year which would be a bit of a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Apparently yesterday's Moura qoutes (about him staying at SP) were old quotes rehashed by certain papers.

Saw this one on the beeb website this morning
    Lucas Moura is focused on playing for Brazil at the Olympics but has not ruled out a move to Manchester United. The 19-year-old Sao Paulo midfielder has said he will decide his future once the tournament is over.

Also -
    The Daily Mail claims Manchester United & Arsenal are interested in signing unsettled Celtic midfielder Victor Wanyama.

Never heard of this guy at all (i never watch Scottish football) is he any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

From Twitter..

The Mirror says van Persie wants Utd or Juventus. Daily Mail say Juventus have pulled out of the race... So he's all ours!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

RVD420 wrote: »
    From Twitter..

The Mirror says van Persie wants Utd or Juventus. Daily Mail say Juventus have pulled out of the race... So he's all ours!

:D

I think Juve are just trying to get him on the cheap knowing they'd rather sell abroad than to a rival from the same country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

According to the Mail United are after Wanyama quite a goof defensive midfielder in my opinion. He's a player that we could do with.
    Manchester United and Arsenal have joined QPR and Stoke in the pursuit of Celtic midfielder Victor Wanyama.
    Scouts from each club watched the Kenyan, 21, in Celtic's 1-0 defeat by Norwich on Tuesday.

Open to offers: Victor Wanyama wants out of Celtic
    He has voiced his frustration at being played in defence and rather than defensive midfield. He is keen to move to England.
    Celtic want around £7m but are concerned they could lose Beram Kayal also.
    The Israeli midfielder, 25, is attracting interest from Southampton.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2179530/Manchester-United-Arsenal-join-race-Celtics-Victor-Wanyama.html#ixzz21pA60v5N

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sahin on the move, apparently, and we are linked with Wanyama? FFS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hmmm, don't particularly want to sign someone who's going to feckin' off to the African Nations Cup every other year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Sahin on the move, apparently, and we are linked with Wanyama? FFS.

Sahin only on loan though so Madrid do not want to sell just yet,Wanyama i know little of but Fergie does not seem keen on DM's these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

dahat wrote: »
    Sahin only on loan though so Madrid do not want to sell just yet,Wanyama i know little of but Fergie does not seem keen on DM's these days

Apparently they don't want to sell at all. Madrid want him back afterwards.

• Advertisement

Apparently they don't want to sell at all. Madrid want him back afterwards.
    cracking player,we really should be buying a top notch MF but I would still take him on loan for a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

If the option is to take Sahin on loan for the year (with him having plenty he will want to show) or to take someone of far inferior quality I would certainly not be too proud to accept a player on loan.

If the option is to take Sahin on loan for the year (with him having plenty he will want to show) or to take someone of far inferior quality I would certainly not be too proud to accept a player on loan.

exactly.I would be happy to have him for a year and you never know what could happen at the end of the loan move.If things went very well for him , he might want to join permanently,if it looked like he was no closer to making a breakthrough with Real.
    Real have been known to let plenty of brilliant players leave without ever really giving them a chance to prove themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Waiting for Kagawa's interview to tell how good Scholes is. :cool:
    Kagawa wrote:
    "It's really my first time really following the club and meeting the players, so it's hard to pick one out as they have really good players in this team. "
    "But if I had to name one it would be Scholes. He is in his 30s, but the way he plays like he is nowhere near that age. It's amazing what I can see in training - how he handles the ball and passes it around."

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Aye, would definitely take Sahin on loan for a year. He's too good to not be playing imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I don't think clubs should ever be too proud to take players on loan. City took Pizzaro in last year, Spurs had Adebayor all year too.

I'm against the loan deal, if we loan a player with option to buy then fine, but if it is only a loan deal then I'm against it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm against the loan deal, if we loan a player with option to buy then fine, but if it is only a loan deal then I'm against it.

Why?

Why?

Because the player will return to his parent club after a year and rather than addressing the problem long term, we will do it for one year only and also knowing player will go back after a year, it will be odd cheering him. IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

I wonder if Real would add any dodgy clauses into the loan deal, eg, not allowed to use him in CL games. That would be a kick in the swingers. I'm guessing Real wouldn't loan him to one of the top european teams anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Am I the only one that thinks we're too big to be taking first players on loan?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

I've never seen Sahin play. What kind of midfielder is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    You're probably not the only one but the fact of the matter is there doesn't seem to be a decent midfielder available to us at the moment. If the only alternative is to take one on loan while we're looking for a full time solution then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Felexicon wrote: »
    ...the fact of the matter is there doesn't seem to be a decent midfielder available to us at the moment.

This is said year after year and it's never true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Schism wrote: »
    I don't think clubs should ever be too proud to take players on loan. City took Pizzaro in last year, Spurs had Adebayor all year too.

Spurs did quite well out of the deal. They got Adebayor for ~70K per week while City paid 100K per week for his wages while at Spurs.

Spurs would not have gotten 4th place without him IMO (which would have been the difference between CL football and not, without the freak scenario where a club won the CL without being in the top 4).

They did very, very well out of it. If City want to give a very good player to a rival, while still paying him 100K per week, it's a reflection on them, not Spurs imo.

Nothing wrong with loan moves, especially if you have the option to purchase. If you can "try before you buy" for a fixed price, then no club is too big too loan a player, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Adamcp898 wrote: »

Also....

What about the two year loan we had Carlos Tevez on from MSI?

If we were "too big" to be taking first team players on loan, we might have 2 CLs to our name and not 3.

Also, he was fairly useful in winning two Premierships with us. We may not have 19 without him.

Dismissing the loan system is foolish imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

fearcruach wrote: »
    I've never seen Sahin play. What kind of midfielder is he?

Think of the exact kind of midfielder we need.

That ****ing kind.

But if we did take him on loan and he did well then Madrid would either be unwilling to sell or want a load of money for him. And then we'd have just acted as a glorified feeder club for them.

It's kind of like when the better mid table teams took players on loan off United (like Rossi to Newcastle), they're big clubs in their own right but at the same time it was kind of admission that they'd never be on United's level and in that respect I think we have to show much more ambition.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

That ****ing kind.

Not a winger then ;)

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Also....

What about the two year loan we had Carlos Tevez on from MSI?

If we were "too big" to be taking first team players on loan, we might have 2 CLs to our name and not 3.

Also, he was fairly useful in winning two Premierships with us. We may not have 19 without him.

Dismissing the loan system is foolish imo.

A lot of that was to do with how complicated his ownership was in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Loan a player with option to buy - great

no option to buy? You leave yourself a problem next summer when the player goes back to his parent club so its not ideal. I wouldn't be totally against it or anything.

but if a club like United have a need for a player I would prefer to see them buy (or loan with buy option) the player they need, rather than borrow one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Because the player will return to his parent club after a year and rather than addressing the problem long term, we will do it for one year only and also knowing player will go back after a year, it will be odd cheering him. IMO.

I bet you had no problem cheering on Ronaldo in his last season when you knew he was off to REAL the season before.

Loan deals are nothing to be scuffed against you can get TOP quality players these days and you never know what COULD happen after the loan period, the player may fall in love with the club he may not.

I'd have NOTHING against taking a player on loan for a year knowing that there is a 95% chance he will be off as long as it enables us to be more competitive, at the end of that day you want your team to be successful.

Also I honestly don't think REAL will let him go long term, it's just madness he is the EXACT player you'd want in your team when Alonso goes, IMO he will be one of the best players on the planet in a few years, possibly better than Alonso, well from what I've seen anyway, however that's just my opinion :)

But i'd snap the hand off Madrid to get him here for a year.

DDG
    Raf
    Rio/Small
    Vidic
    Evra

---Clev/Scholes/ANDO---Sahin

Valencia
    Kags
    Nani

Rooney

To me, that team could DOMINATE the premierleague
    Wouldn't be to shabby in europe either :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Spurs did quite well out of the deal. They got Adebayor for ~70K per week while City paid 100K per week for his wages while at Spurs.

Spurs would not have gotten 4th place without him IMO (which would have been the difference between CL football and not, without the freak scenario where a club won the CL without being in the top 4).

They did very, very well out of it. If City want to give a very good player to a rival, while still paying him 100K per week, it's a reflection on them, not Spurs imo.

Nothing wrong with loan moves, especially if you have the option to purchase. If you can "try before you buy" for a fixed price, then no club is too big too loan a player, I think.

Maybe you misread my post, I agree! Spurs weren't too proud to take on Adebayor and it worked out beautifully.

I bet you had no problem cheering on Ronaldo in his last season when you knew he was off to REAL the season before.

Yes, because he was MANUTD player in 2008-09.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Peter Schmeichel becomes Ambassador for the club.
    As part of his role, the Dane will attend various events and functions on behalf of the club, promoting the work it does within the community and with its partners, sharing anecdotes from his time at Old Trafford.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Club-News/2012/Jul/peter-schmeichel-becomes-manchester-united-ambassador.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Yes, because he was MANUTD player in 2008-09.

And anyone that may come on loan to us for this season would be a United player also!
    There is no way that we should be too big, or too proud not to take a player on loan.

If a player that will improve our team becomes available, whether that be on a short term contract, a loan deal, a longer deal, whatever, why shouldn't we take him?

For example, we had Henrik Larsson a few years back, and he was a great bit of business for the few games he was with us.

Bet you cheered him! I surely did, and i'd welcome any player on any deal if it improves the team!

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

That ****ing kind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kuu9uLAxMY

I know I know, youtube clip.
    But if you compare that clip to the clips of the likes of Lucas and some others we've been linked with and then you watch his you can see he is just absolute LIGHT years ahead.

My god does he like a tackle :)

And anyone that may come on loan to us for this season would be a United player also!
    There is no way that we should be too big, or too proud not to take a player on loan.

If a player that will improve our team becomes available, whether that be on a short term contract, a loan deal, a longer deal, whatever, why shouldn't we take him?

For example, we had Henrik Larsson a few years back, and he was a great bit of business for the few games he was with us.

Bet you cheered him! I surely did, and i'd welcome any player on any deal if it improves the team!

It's not about being too proud to sign a player on loan just that I don't see it doing any good for us long term, if we have an option to buy then it'l be great.

Henrik Larsson was altogether different deal, there are many big clubs who have signed players on loan, so loan deal is nothing somethign to be ashamed of, just that we won't be fixing the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Pro. F wrote: »
    This is said year after year and it's never true.
    So who do you think is available to us at the moment.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement