Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Samich wrote: »
    You mention Rooney as case in point. Never done it for England or on the really big european matches for Utd.

Fúck me you come out with some of the most unbelievably clueless horseshít at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Thanks for the thick comment. You know what I've done.

You mention Rooney as case in point. Never done it for England or on the really big european matches for Utd.

I didn't know we were talking about INTERNATIONAL games.
    When did that come up?

Rooney has played well for united in most of his European campaigns saying otherwise, well I just give up, perhaps your next response will be a video clip of Rafael.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

So you didn't answer ANY point I brought up in my last post about the differences in Sahin v Carrick and why you posting that clip of Carrick had ZERO relevance

Instead you come back and post a clip of Anderson while we're talking about 2 players who play entirely different roles within a team.

I'm sorry, do you often confuse yourself or is it your job to try and confuse others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

alproctor wrote: »
    Some people rate Carrick.
    Most people don't.

Fixed that for you.:)

So you didn't answer ANY point I brought up in my last post about the differences in Sahin v Carrick and why you posting that clip of Carrick had ZERO relevance

Instead you come back and post a clip of Anderson while we're talking about 2 players who play entirely different roles within a team.

I'm sorry, do you often confuse yourself or is it your job to try and confuse others?

Can you respond to this please, I'd like to understand the inner workings of your mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Ye're like a bunch of women who have synced mensies!

Can you respond to this please, I'd like to understand the inner workings of your mind.

Yeah, just did there.

Yeah, just did there.

If you can't see how Sahin and Carrick (Who I think is a fine player)
    are worlds apart then there is nothing I can do for you. Sahin played 10 games for Real last year, Carrick played has played the vast majority of games for united since 2006, he's a good player I rate him but he's limited at what he does I say this keeping in mind I though he was our best player last year.

it's easy to pick a 4 min clip of a few passes in what 200+ games played.
    I've watched sahin and madrid on a number of occasions the gulf in class is evident for all to see.

Also.
    I give up you won when you started referencing international games to show how a player doesn't cut it in Europe and then listed said player, Wayne Rooney.

Next it will be Vidic / Rio doesn't have a world cup medal so no point in singling them out as having any European Pedigree.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I'd consider Wigan to be a rival club, I wouldn't consider them intense rivals.

Thats nice

If you can't see how Sahin and Carrick (Who I think is a fine player)
    are worlds apart then there is nothing I can do for you. Sahin played 10 games for Real last year, Carrick played has played the vast majority of games for united since 2006, he's a good player I rate him but he's limited at what he does I say this keeping in mind I though he was our best player last year.

it's easy to pick a 4 min clip of a few passes in what 200+ games played.
    I've watched sahin and madrid on a number of occasions the gulf in class is evident for all to see.

Also.
    I give up you won when you started referencing international games to show how a player doesn't cut it in Europe and then listed said player, Wayne Rooney.

Next it will be Vidic / Rio doesn't have a world cup medal so no point in singling them out as having any European Pedigree.

Eh we're on about performances, not medals.

• Advertisement

Yeah, just did there.

Also you didn't respond, I posted about the differences in both players and you responded with a clip, tell me in laymans terms why you think we shouldn't go for Sahin any other very good midfielder and why we should hang onto carrick.

not much to ask, and I'll happily rebate without the use of 4 minute you tube clips.

Eh we're on about performances, not medals.

Okay then how is Rooney not setting the world alight in a VERY VERY VERY average English team have anything got to do with his European Pedigree?

You could put Messi in the english team over the last few years and he'd probably pull his hair out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Lads, please. It's just going to continue in circles.

Also you didn't respond, I posted about the differences in both players and you responded with a clip, tell me in laymans terms why you think we shouldn't go for Sahin any other very good midfielder and why we should hang onto carrick.

not much to ask, and I'll happily rebate without the use of 4 minute you tube clips.

You want to replace Carrick, I want to replace Scholes.

Scholes is harder to replace than Carrick. Sahin would replace Scholes perfectly. Most of the Sahin vid there was a deeper lying midfielder behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Okay then how is Rooney not setting the world alight in a VERY VERY VERY average English team have anything got to do with his European Pedigree?

You could put Messi in the english team over the last few years and he'd probably pull his hair out.

Messi have been poor for the Argies till very recently as well so quite the same could be said about both players in that sense.

dahat wrote: »
    Messi have been poor for the Argies till very recently as well so quite the same could be said about both players in that sense.

Messi has produced moments of brilliance and match winning pieces of play against Real Madrid and every other team. Rooney hasn't done much. Scored an equalizer last year against Barca and that was it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Is there aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanything to be said for having a separate thread on Michael Carrick?

Everyone has an opinion on him. He has been discussed at length numerous times. There is nothing more anyone can add to influence opinion, which hasn't been said in the previous 5,000 posts about him. It's gone way beyond being constructive lads.

I'll bow out of this thread until Monday when hopefully some of you have gotten tired of chasing your tails about Carrick.

Enjoy the weekend, the rest of you.

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Is there aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanything to be said for having a separate thread on Michael Carrick?

Everyone has an opinion on him. He has been discussed at length numerous times. There is nothing more anyone can add to influence opinion, which hasn't been said in the previous 5,000 posts about him. It's gone way beyond being constructive lads.

I'll bow out of this thread until Monday when hopefully some of you have gotten tired of chasing your tails about Carrick.

Enjoy the weekend, the rest of you.

Bye now.

Messi has produced moments of brilliance and match winning pieces of play against Real Madrid and every other team. Rooney hasn't done much. Scored an equalizer last year against Barca and that was it really.

Hasn't done much? Sweet Jesus

• Advertisement

Pudsy33 wrote: »

Certainly won't go down as one of the greatest ever to play in the PL if he stays at the same level.

Certainly won't go down as one of the greatest ever to play in the PL if he stays at the same level.

He's pretty much there already for me, but that's a matter of opinion I guess.

You want to replace Carrick, I want to replace Scholes.

Scholes is harder to replace than Carrick. Sahin would replace Scholes perfectly. Most of the Sahin vid there was a deeper lying midfielder behind him.

I quit, if that's what you got from that CLIP then I shouldn't have posted it.
    Then again you're rebutting an argument based on a clip, it's pretty retarded in itself, I take it you've never watched Sahin in a competitive game and have probably not seen him play apart from the clip I've just posted.

Sorry about the assumption, it's based on you call him Scholes Replacement.

I don't want to replace either, I want to give us options to utilize in the middle against top class opposition.
    Carrick can play his left usual game against the lesser teams when they don't close him down and press, but against the likes of Madrid, Bayern we need someone to come looking for the ball someone that when he receives it doesn't pass the ball back to the defender and put them under pressure again.

Carrick has good ball retention, even in Europe, what people fail to see is ball retention in your half of the pitch allowing the opposition to press up is not good for the team, it narrows space and invites teams onto them.

We need a sahin, someone who's pacey, can turn with the ball, pick a pass perhaps to Scholes/KAG/Rooney and then put the opposition on the back foot, Carrick doesn't do this against teams that play a high pressing line with high tempo.

The reason I want to have another player for Carricks positions and not Scholes is that you have 3 people who can potentially do Scholes role while getting at least 6 more months out of scholes, Clev, Ando,Powell.

Honestly every comment you makes brightens my day but lessens my existence.

See it's this trolling that you do that drives people up the wall.

Honestly, give it a break.

EDIT: That was in your response to say Rooney hasn't done much, I mis quoted.

I quit, if that's what you got from that CLIP then I shouldn't have posted it.
    Then again you're rebutting an argument based on a clip, it's pretty retarded in itself, I take it you've never watched Sahin in a competitive game and have probably not seen him play apart from the clip I've just posted.

Sorry about the assumption, it's based on you call him Scholes Replacement.

I don't want to replace either, I want to give us options to utilize in the middle against top class opposition.
    Carrick can play his left usual game against the lesser teams when they don't close him down and press, but against the likes of Madrid, Bayern we need someone to come looking for the ball someone that when he receives it doesn't pass the ball back to the defender and put them under pressure again.

Carrick has good ball retention, even in Europe, what people fail to see is ball retention in your half of the pitch allowing the opposition to press up is not good for the team, it narrows space and invites teams onto them.

We need a sahin, someone who's pacey, can turn with the ball, pick a pass perhaps to Scholes/KAG/Rooney and then put the opposition on the back foot, Carrick doesn't do this against teams that play a high pressing line with high tempo.

The reason I want to have another player for Carricks positions and not Scholes is that you have 3 people who can potentially do Scholes role while getting at least 6 more months out of scholes, Clev, Ando,Powell.

Honestly every comment you makes brightens my day but lessens my existence.

I want Scholes replaced.

Cleverley is no Scholes, Anderson is no Scholes. Never seen Cleverley even try a 50 yard pass.

See it's this trolling that you do that drives people up the wall.

Honestly, give it a break.

Leave the modding to the mods why don't ya?

I have an opinion, you have yours.

It's like what I said in another thread, unpopular opinions being seen as trolling :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

ESPN Soccernet ‏@ESPNSoccernet
    Wenger on Sahin: "We did not sign anybody today, this report is wrong. We are not signing anybody at the moment - we are not close."

Can we not just agree Scholes is irreplaceable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Samich - Unpopular opinions are not trolling, repeating the same thing over and over and over again without debating the points and engaging in discussion most definitely is.

You have you opinion on Carrick and have regurgitated it ad nauseum.
    Others also have their opinion, and you have disagreed with these.

Is continuing this discussion really going to achieve anything - can't you agree to disagree and move on?

Samich - Unpopular opinions are not trolling, repeating the same thing over and over and over again without debating the points and engaging in discussion most definitely is.

Is continuing this discussion really going to achieve anything - agree to disagree and move on.

What are you on about? **** sake! What has Pro F been regurgitating?!?!

I am debating my points. Look up.

Why should I be the one that has to agree to disagree, I'm happy enough debating it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Both clubs will compete in the champions league. Both teams compete off the field in differant situations, for players, for fans, commercially etc. You don't have to compete head to head in a match to be considered a rival team. Rivalry exists in differant forms. I would consider the teams to be rivals, I wouldn't call it an intense rivalry.

Based on those criteria, any team in the world could be a "rival" team. My points were more aimed at some who seemed to suggest Real were as big a rival as, say, City or Chelsea. With those clubs, I'd have a worry about giving a player time and then sending him back, since then it would have a direct effect which could hit us very negatively. I just don't see Real Madrid as a "rival" team in the way it was being suggested a few pages back.

• Advertisement

I want Scholes replaced.

Cleverley is no Scholes, Anderson is no Scholes. Never seen Cleverley even try a 50 yard pass.

you don't debate any points, you just rehash tripe.

WHY is cleverly no scholes, you've seen him play the guts of 5 games last season and he was impressive, as was anderson until injury hit.

Powell could WELL be.

I've never said any 3 were scholes, I said they had the POTENTIAL to one day replace him in the team, there is NO-ONE within the team that can do Carricks role, this is where the problem lies, we need not only someone that can do Carricks role but someone that can do it better.

Can you not debate a point without rebutting one liners that are completely retarded?

Is continuing this discussion really going to achieve anything - agree to disagree and move on.

Why should I be the one that has to agree to disagree, I'm happy enough debating it.

No one will change their mind though, so once all valid points have been made the debate becomes circular and pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Guys, calm down please.

That's a myth.

You don't debate your points, you've NEVER one said what you think Carrick adds to the team and what he doesn't you've never ONCE said why we shouldn't sign the likes of martinez or sahin, you simply say.

We need scholes replacing, this isn't a debate of a point this is a statement which is accompanied by fresh air and no logical thought.

This is why people can't stand you.

you don't debate any points, you just rehash tripe.

WHY is cleverly no scholes, you've seen him play the guts of 5 games last season and he was impressive, as was anderson until injury hit.

Powell could WELL be.

I've never said any 3 were scholes, I said they had the POTENTIAL to one day replace him in the team, there is NO-ONE within the team that can do Carricks role, this is where the problem lies, we need not only someone that can do Carricks role but someone that can do it better.

Can you not debate a point without rebutting one liners that are completely retarded?

Ha, he played for Wigan the season before.

I just said why he's no Scholes. Hasn't got the long range pass ability yet. That's a massive thing for a player like Scholes. Scholes using 5/10 yard passes would be massively less effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Is continuing this discussion really going to achieve anything - can't you agree to disagree and move on?

You don't debate your points, you've NEVER one said what you think Carrick adds to the team and what he doesn't you've never ONCE said why we shouldn't sign the likes of martinez or sahin, you simply say.

We need scholes replacing, this isn't a debate of a point this is a statement which is accompanied by fresh air and no logical thought.

This is why people can't stand you.

Go to the Carrick thread.

I will if the other posters will.

I will if the other posters will.

At this stage, both sides are looking bad to be honest.

If the other poster (and this is aimed at both sides) continues to "regurgitate" posts you disagree with, and unless you can think of a new point yourself, just ignore their posts and move on....

Go to the Carrick thread.

YOU brought Carrick up in this, you derail every post in here with absolute horse ****e 24/7 if someone mentions any midfielder you put in a stab to PRO F about how he's said carrick is ****, which he's never said.

Cleverly has played PLENTY of 50 yard passes perhaps not for united but PLENTY for wigan, I was saying you've seen him play 5 times for MANCHESTER UNITED not in a limited wigan team, he looked 10x the player he was at wigan in that united team with ANDO ( going forward) Players go on loan to develop, he was still a cut above the players at wigan, that was evident for most to see.

If you're saying he's no scholes because you've not seen him spay 50 yard balls in 5 games, then okay sure no worries, good point, you win.

I've never ONCE said he will be the next scholes, I'm simply saying they have the POTENTIAL to be or fill his place in the team.
    there is NO-ONE to replace/upgrade Carrick hence why we need someone having ONE player for a position within a team is not effective.

Please don't name make shift DM's in the like of Phil Jones.

• Advertisement

If the other poster (and this is aimed at both sides) continues to "regurgitate" posts you disagree with, and unless you can think of a new point yourself, just ignore their posts and move on....

So basically, the 2 posters are doing the same thing, but only I get accused of being a troll.

So basically, the 2 posters are doing the same thing, but only I get accused of being a troll.

I'm not accusing anyone of being a troll. Go back a few pages and you'll notice I wrote up a rant on how quick people are to throw out the term and how I hate it.

No one is trolling. Both sides are just being pig-headed, and are boardering on disruptive imo. Not trolling. Just annoying.

YOU brought Carrick up in this, you derail every post in here with absolute horse ****e 24/7 if someone mentions any midfielder you put in a stab to PRO F about how he's said carrick is ****, which he's never said.

You're on here for the sole reason of trolling, cleverly has played PLENTY of 50 yard passes perhaps not for united but PLENTY for wigan, I was saying you've seen him play 5 times for MANCHESTER UNITED not in a limited wigan team, he looked 10x the player he was at wigan in that united team with ANDO ( going forward) Players go on loan to develop, he was still a cut above the players at wigan, that was evident for most to see.

If you're saying he's no scholes because you've not seen him spay 50 yard balls in 5 games, then okay sure no worries, good point, you win.

Oh so we're talking about OTHER teams now? Well if we were looking at performances for other teams Mame Biram Diouf should be our back up striker.

Also I was never the one who originally mentioned Carrick in this thread.

I'm not accusing anyone of being a troll. Go back a few pages and you'll notice I wrote up a rant on how quick people are to throw out the term and how I hate it.

No one is trolling. Both sides are just being pig-headed, and are boardering on disruptive imo. Not trolling. Just annoying.

Some posters are though, and something should be done about it.

Those posters are calling you a troll, no one else.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Based on those criteria, any team in the world could be a "rival" team. My points were more aimed at some who seemed to suggest Real were as big a rival as, say, City or Chelsea. With those clubs, I'd have a worry about giving a player time and then sending him back, since then it would have a direct effect which could hit us very negatively. I just don't see Real Madrid as a "rival" team in the way it was being suggested a few pages back.

I used the word Rival in one on my posts so i am one of the people your post was aimed at. I answered your post to explain why I used the word.

Going back to my explanation regarding Madrid specifically, I believe very few clubs would match the criteria I put down to say why I consider them a rival club. Clearly its not the traditional use of the word rival.

If you don't see them as a competitor that's fine.

Those posters are calling you a troll, no one else.

Yeah, because I "regurgitate" the same points? Who else does this? I'm replying what's replied to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Guys, cut out the talking about trolling please. If you can't have the discussion in a civil manner, then don't have it.

G.K. wrote: »
    Guys, cut out the talking about trolling please. If you can't have the discussion in a civil manner, then don't have it.

I'm taking it to feedback anyways.

• Advertisement

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I used the word Rival in one on my posts so i am one of the people your post was aimed at. I answered your post to explain why I used the word.

Going back to my explanation regarding Madrid specifically, I believe very few clubs would match the criteria I put down to say why I consider them a rival club. Clearly its not the traditional use of the word rival.

If you don't see them as a competitor that's fine.

Ok, that's fair enough. Everyone has their own views of what a rival is :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement