Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PHB wrote: »
    A ward of warning: If you genuinely think that you'll find something quicker confirmed on Twitter than on any of the major news sites, including Sky Sports who will have a journalist covering every single football journalist in the world, you're probably going to be disappointed.

I guarantee that you will find every major story on twitter before you find it on one of your major sites.

You will find a lot of lies and fakes on twitter, but the true stuff will also be on twitter before it hits the main places too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

@peterssoccer: #MUFC are, however, reported to have made an offer of £27 million plus a player (likely Anderson) for Lucas Moura. Twitter is on over load tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

A ward of warning: If you genuinely think that you'll find something quicker confirmed on Twitter than on any of the major news sites, including Sky Sports who will have a journalist covering every single football journalist in the world, you're probably going to be disappointed.

I guarantee that you will find every major story on twitter before you find it on one of your major sites.

You will find a lot of lies and fakes on twitter, but the true stuff will also be on twitter before it hits the main places too.

Not really true.. It's just so much **** is written that some of it actually materialises and then people go yea wow story broke on twitter.

Not really true.. It's just so much **** is written that some of it actually materialises and then people go yea wow story broke on twitter.

No, THAT isn't true.

If you follow a crap load of people and believe everyone, then yeah. But if you pay attention to who mentions info, and what comes to pass, you can see who actually knows what they are talking about and actually has some info to pass on. I see a lot of crap on twitter that I ignore - i have also seen all the main stories broken on twitter before they hit the main sites, because it is far quicker to update on twitter than on a site or TV station.

You need to perform the quality control yourself, but your failure to do so effectively isn't twitters fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

fox007 wrote: »
    @peterssoccer: #MUFC are, however, reported to have made an offer of £27 million plus a player (likely Anderson) for Lucas Moura. Twitter is on over load tonight

27 million plus a player who is worth at least 15 million? sounds like bullcrap if ever i heard it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Ando isnt worth 15m now. More like 10 i reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

We'd be even less covered in the centre if thats true, jesus christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That's why I said confirmed. You can't trust anything on twitter. Nobody there to check sources. No journalist ethos by in large, especially in football journalists.

Everything breaks first on twitter, because every wanabe in the entire world posts up any rumour they heard from a friends friend friend. If you want to know if something has actually happened, you need to check an actual news site.

If you throw enough **** at the wall, some of it will stick.

That's why I said confirmed. You can't trust anything on twitter. Nobody there to check sources. No journalist ethos by in large, especially in football journalists.

Everything breaks first on twitter, because every wanabe in the entire world posts up any rumour they heard from a friends friend friend. If you want to know if something has actually happened, you need to check an actual news site.

If you throw enough **** at the wall, some of it will stick.

So United signed Hazard then, ESPN confirmed that, didn't they? Sky Sports said Pogba had a greed a new deal with us.

Sites confirming stuff means just as little these days. again, on twitter, you look to the journo's, who will confirm stuff there first more often than not. People like Daniel Taylor or James Ducker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

That's so wrong, sure even Sky Sports would have breaking news on their own twitter faster than they'd have on their site or on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

fox007 wrote: »

This would be a very poir deal for Utd IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Hello All.

First time poster but long time lurker so please be gentle!

I do not want us to sign this Moura guy. From what I've seen of him, he's more of a right winger than a midfielder and with Antonio Valencia United are very well served in that area. I also worry about that type of player (skilful but flashy Brazilian adapting to the English game). I accept that Ronaldo looked like a luxury at the start but a specific doesn't prove a generality. Given our limited resources (in the context of the Glazers etc), I'd much prefer the available resources to be spent on areas of the team that do need strengthening.

The centre of the park is the obvious area. But we've major issues at fullback on both sides too. Rafael has been error prone historically and Evra's been on a downward curve for a while. With Fabio unavailable, we've no real cover at left or right back (I'm excluding makeshift solutions like Evans, Jones, Valencia and Brady).

I'm also against a move for RVP - Too much money for a 29 year old injury prone player who's not really needed. Far better for us to sign guys for the areas where reinforcements are urgently required.

If I hear "no value...happy with squad" at the end of this window I'll fall ill!

J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    Hello All.

I do not want us to sign this Moura guy. From what I've seen of him, he's more of a right winger than a midfielder and with Antonio Valencia United are very well served in that area. I also worry about that type of player (skilful but flashy Brazilian adapting to the English game). I accept that Ronaldo looked like a luxury at the start but a specific doesn't prove a generality. Given our limited resources (in the context of the Glazers etc), I'd much prefer the available resources to be spent on areas of the team that do need strengthening.

The centre of the park is the obvious area. But we've major issues at fullback on both sides too. Rafael has been error prone historically and Evra's been on a downward curve for a while. With Fabio unavailable, we've no real cover at left or right back (I'm excluding makeshift solutions like Evans, Jones, Valencia and Brady).

I'm also against a move for RVP - Too much money for a 29 year old injury prone player who's not really needed. Far better for us to sign guys for the areas where reinforcements are urgently required.

If I hear "no value...happy with squad" at the end of this window I'll fall ill!

J

Ok, ok, ok. That's all very nice.

We do not really care about your views, can you play midfield ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Straight for the juglar!!!.....lousy

Hello All.

J

Unfortunately not...

Though come the last 8 of the CL when Anderson and Cleverly are injured there's bound to be someone in the 76,000 that can...Get Robbo out of retirement maybe?

Honestly I find it incredible that Sir Alex doesn't seem to see midfield as a dire problem.

EDIT: I took Mr. Crinklewood's comments to be a joke...am I naive to do so? f they're not a joke, they're bad form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Unfortunately not...

Though come the last 8 of the CL when Anderson and Cleverly are injured there's bound to be someone in the 76,000 that can...Get Robbo out of retirement maybe.

Honestly I find it incredible that Sir Alex doesn't seem to see midfield as a dire problem.

Mention Carrick and you will be banned............;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Unfortunately not...

Though come the last 8 of the CL when Anderson and Cleverly are injured there's bound to be someone in the 76,000 that can...Get Robbo out of retirement maybe?

EDIT: I took Mr. Crinklewood's comments to be a joke...am I naive to do so? f they're not a joke, they're bad form.

I am almost certain it was meant as a joke, I wouldn't have thanked it otherwise :)

Welcome to the forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

I do not want us to sign this Moura guy. From what I've seen of him, he's more of a right winger than a midfielder and with Antonio Valencia United are very well served in that area.

Anyone else think Fergie is going to sign this guy and move Valencia to right back. What an attacking right side that would be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

RedorDead wrote: »
    Anyone else think Fergie is going to sign this guy and move Valencia to right back. What an attacking right side that would be!

I can't see it happening. Valencia himself would probably kick up a row about it. He didn't ask for the number 7 jersey just for the crack. He probably asked for it because he wants to make sure that he's mentioned in the same breadth as the Best's and the Ronaldo's when he has retired.

Personally, I'd be very disappointed if he moved back there. He's not that great defensively and his reluctance to use his left foot would lead to problematic situations.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Who was reporting that Valencia asked for the number 7?

I think it was before one of the preseason games they showed an interview with him and he said he didn't ask for it.

I do not want us to sign this Moura guy. From what I've seen of him, he's more of a right winger than a midfielder and with Antonio Valencia United are very well served in that area.

No, because he's not stupid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

I can't see it happening. Valencia himself would probably kick up a row about it. He didn't ask for the number 7 jersey just for the crack. He probably asked for it because he wants to make sure that he's mentioned in the same breadth as the Best's and the Ronaldo's when he has retired.

Personally, I'd be very disappointed if he moved back there. He's not that great defensively and his reluctance to use his left foot would lead to problematic situations.

Totally agree, would be a negative move to put Valencia back there, I'm not going to bring up his attributes playing out wide right as I've seen the debates about that topic already!! But I am a huge fan of Valencia and I would hate to see him limited to a fullback role..

Also I think that raf has serious potential back there and he will start the season there for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

I think it was before one of the preseason games they showed an interview with him and he said he didn't ask for it.

Pretty sure it was SAF said it in an interview (could well be wrong though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

rarnes1 wrote: »

No, because he's not stupid!

Out of interest, why do you think fergie is interested in him?

I mean it's well known we are more than secure in wide positions and I think 99% will agree signing moura will do nothing for the cm problem,

So what would be your interpretation of the potential signing?

Valencia's so good on the right wing though it isn't funny.

I know that Evra's a converted left winger but if Valencia was moved to RB permanently, I'd be concerned about his defensive abilities plus what we'd lose further up the pitch.

If we have pretty limited resources (which seems to be the case), spending £30m on a luxury when there are necessities doesn't make much sense to me.

Could Baines and Fellaini be poached for circa £20/25m? Or Daniel De Rossi and Fellani for circa £30m.

Fellani would be a great addition in my view...pretty young, bags of ability, an eye for goal, proven Premiership player and probably wouldn't cost the Earth. Probably has a good attitude too on the basis that Moyes wouldn't tolerate anything else.

J

• Advertisement

Manutd.com were reporting it. They said he requested the number 7 jersey and everyone in here wet their pants :P.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/Jul/new-squad-numbers-for-valencia-and-new-signings.aspx

I'm re-reading "Keane" at the moment...God how I'd love to see United sign a young Roy Keane right now. Sometimes you forget how incredible the guy was.

dahat wrote: »
    Straight for the juglar!!!.....lousy

With our midfield obsession I was adding a bit of humour to the forum..

Unfortunately not...

Of course it was a joke, I reckon most people got it

Good to see a new poster to the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I know that Evra's a converted left winger but if Valencia was moved to RB permanently, I'd be concerned about his defensive abilities plus what we'd lose further up the pitch.

If we have pretty limited resources (which seems to be the case), spending £30m on a luxury when there are necessities doesn't make much sense to me.

Could Baines and Fellaini be poached for circa £20/25m? Or Daniel De Rossi and Fellani for circa £30m.

Fellani would be a great addition in my view...pretty young, bags of ability, an eye for goal, proven Premiership player and probably wouldn't cost the Earth. Probably has a good attitude too on the basis that Moyes wouldn't tolerate anything else.

J

I'll prob get stick over this, but I don't think he's unbelievably good. He'll work like a horse all day and never seems to tire.

And the notion of playing him RB unless it's an emergency or when chasing a goal is ridiculous, the same ridiculous the back of yo' head is. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

J
    If Fellani and Baines could be got for 35/40m it would be a great double purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Samich wrote: »
    I'll prob get stick over this, but I don't think he's unbelievably good. He'll work like a horse all day and never seems to tire.
    That's what makes him unbelievably good. He gives the left-back a persistent problem for the full 90 minutes and the shear volume of runs and crosses will always cause problems. The team really should have converted more of his crosses last season.

Owen_S wrote: »
    That's what makes him unbelievably good. He gives the left-back a persistent problem for the full 90 minutes and the shear volume of runs and crosses will always cause problems. The team really should have converted more of his crosses last season.

I think crossing is one of his weakest attributes. He never whips the ball in with curve, either smashes it in low or scoops under it and it stays in the air too long. We haven't got the height or late runners from midfield anyways to really become threatening with balls crossed into the box

I am probably also in the minority on Valencia I guess, don't get me wrong, I love the guy, he is a tank, consistent as you can be and brilliant in 80% of the games we play each year, however, he is quite one dimensional and he has shown that he can be shut down by the better opposition. If he can't get down the outside he is unable to use a trick to get inside, use his left foot to play a ball not available with his right and inevitably turns around and passes the ball backwards losing the attacking initiative.

It is rarely an issue in he Premier League but gets exposed a few times a season, and it is so frustrating when it happens.

Interesting views re Valencia.

I'm a big fan of wingers that do what wingers have traditionally done (i.e. get to the line and swing crosses in)...I don't think that there's enough of it in the game to be honest. And if we'd a left footed Valencia, I'd be happy to see him in the side too. I'm actually not that keen on wingers who does more time cutting inside and getting involved in the middle. I also wish Valencia had been fully fit for the last CL final vs Barca.

Good to hear other people's views though.

EDIT: Insert John Giles cliche re "honesty of effort" where appropriate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

J

I'd prefer Fellaini all day long over Lucas, as stated, proven ability in the League.

I'm a big fan of wingers that do what wingers have traditionally done (i.e. get to the line and swing crosses in)...I don't think that there's enough of it in the game to be honest. And if we'd a left footed Valencia, I'd be happy to see him in the side too. I'm actually not that keen on wingers who does more time cutting inside and getting involved in the middle. I also wish Valencia had been fully fit for the last CL final vs Barca.

Valencia started the last final against Barca and we looked more threatening going forward than with Valencia. Nani could have been blamed for the 3rd goal though I suppose...

I like the balance, I like that we have a winger who is an out and out winger, hugs the touchline, just wants to run past his man all day and get the ball into the box, and that we also have a winger who is not an orthodox winger, is capable of beating a man outside or inside and can do the unexpected at any time.

Balance is nice :)

Samich wrote: »

Valencia started the last final against Barca and we looked more threatening going forward than with Valencia. Nani could have been blamed for the 3rd goal though I suppose...

My apologies...my memory is of Valencia being injured or just coming back from injury and playing poorly.

Although I was at the game and quite drunk!

EDIT: Yeah, he did start the game...good spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I saw this on twitter
    Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNws
    Sky Sources: Manchester United agree fee with São Paulo for Lucas Moura

Checks the A/c, It has 19 followers :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I saw this on twitter

Checks the A/c, It has 19 followers :(

Notice the twitter name is missing the "e" from "News". Loads of these fake accounts on twitter with the names slightly altered so they can try and pass for a legit account.

The phrase "all fur coat and no knickers" comes to mind if we sign Moura for £30m given the midfield situation...worrying.com

kryogen wrote: »
    I am probably also in the minority on Valencia I guess, don't get me wrong, I love the guy, he is a tank, consistent as you can be and brilliant in 80% of the games we play each year, however, he is quite one dimensional and he has shown that he can be shut down by the better opposition. If he can't get down the outside he is unable to use a trick to get inside, use his left foot to play a ball not available with his right and inevitably turns around and passes the ball backwards losing the attacking initiative.

It is rarely an issue in he Premier League but gets exposed a few times a season, and it is so frustrating when it happens.

This is why I'd have Nani starting ahead of him on the right if the left was sorted. As it is we need Nani more on the left than we do on the right.

The phrase "all fur coat and no knickers" comes to mind if we sign Moura for £30m given the midfield situation...worrying.com

And you were doing so well until you said this ;)

Only messing, welcome to the forum mate

This is why I'd have Nani starting ahead of him on the right if the left was sorted. As it is we need Nani more on the left than we do on the right.

I would actually share the feeling, if we had a real top quality out and out left winger I would be starting Nani on the right week in week out. Transfer strategy left a little to be desired I guess, but easy to say that now I guess, there were reasons at the time.

It came up recently, imo the best right winger list goes Nani then Valencia, but Nani is also our best left winger and Val can only play right so........

kryogen wrote: »

I would actually share the feeling, if we had a real top quality out and out left winger I would be starting Nani on the right week in week out. Transfer strategy left a little to be desired I guess, but easy to say that now I guess, there were reasons at the time.

It came up recently, imo the best right winger list goes Nani then Valencia, but Nani is also our best left winger and Val can only play right so........

Nani's certainly the more gifted of the two.

But for his consistency, I'd choose Valencia.

On the basis of what I've seen of Moura, I really don't know where he'd fit in to be honest.

In Fergie we trust obviously but I'm struggling to understand his strategy (unless he's planning to sell Nani which could be a possibility).

The consistency argument over Nani has gone over the last couple of seasons. He has consistently produced and been comfortably our best winger. It was only injury last season that meant a few bad games were thrown in as he was coming back

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I love Valencia.

He gives great options but he also has his limitations.

That is normal in Football and its why you invest in a squad.

also he is more than able for right back. He runs all day, tackles well and takes responsibility on himself and won't leave runners to other players. If the opposition only plays one attacker and a game is tight I would be happy for him to play there while another attacker is brought on.

Nani's certainly the more gifted of the two.

But for his consistency, I'd choose Valencia.

On the basis of what I've seen of Moura, I really don't know where he'd fit in to be honest.

In Fergie we trust obviously but I'm struggling to understand his strategy (unless he's planning to sell Nani which could be a possibility).

Moura is not really a winger, he plays from the right a lot for his club but drifts around. I genuinely don't understand the transfer either btw and still cant see it happening.

He will be an AMC when he develops imo, he is at a similar development level to Nani when he arrived first, or maybe Ronaldo would be a better comparison, full of tricks, pace and potential. How he turns out will be down to him and how hard he is willing to work of course.

He can be incredibly frustrating at times (from what I have watched) but has certainly got something in there,I reckon he could potentially be better then Oscar could be for example but right now Oscar is comfortbaly further along in his developement.

I think he could go on to be one of the best in the world, but for the money it just doesn't make sense to me. Unless Nani is leaving

• Advertisement

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I love Valencia.

He gives great options but he also has his limitations.

That is normal in Football and its why you invest in a squad.

also he is more than able for right back. He runs all day, tackles well and takes responsibility on himself and won't leave runners to other players. If the opposition only plays one attacker and a game is tight I would be happy for him to play there while another attacker is brought on.

I dunno about the last bit, I don't think he is great defensively due to him being so one sided, and I certainly don't want to see him take any game time away from Rafael. Let him do what he does best, burst past his man down the outside and assist the **** out of the strikers/contribute a brilliant goal or two now and then :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement