Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I think Ferguson will start with a midfield trio of Cleverley, Anderson and Kagawa. with Kagawa being the furtherest forward. But, ultimately, he'll fall back on playing Carrick and as you said Paul Scholes.

If either Anderson or Cleverley gives us a good year we're in for a good season.

No way will he start with that trio. It was all exciting seeing Ando and Clev starting last season but it left us exposed. Carrick will be an auto starter with one of 3 alongside him.

Agree with the last part. One of those 2 has a huge opportunity to stamp their mark and take the position long term

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

G.K. wrote: »
    Jones has to settle into a position imo. For me that position is CB, though I'd put all of the other 4 ahead of him atm, and what he needs is games.

I agree 100%.

Long term he may be Vida's replacement.

Having said that, I'd like to see him beside Vida sooner rather than later.

The suggested defensive midfield role never really materialised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Why isn't he at the Olympics? Didn't play at the euros. Need a hoilday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Smalling has to end the season as first choice imo.

I find it very hard to choose between Jones and Evans.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Defo. Chico even more so than Welbeck.

Although I do think there is so many games in a season and they will always have a chance. Just hope its not confined to league cup and early champions league home matches with a completely changed team.

I HATE Ferguson for the way he fooks around with the team drastically for Champions League games. He should be resting players in rotation instead of resting them all at the same time. i.e. Champions League.

I look at the way we tend to always finish the season strong and I believe thats the result of Fergies rotation in the first half of the season. Of course he wont get it right all of the time but I have faith in his ability to know the squad
    I think Welbeck should get a lot of starts next year. But you're right. It's likely to stifle the development of at least one of them.

Its tough to know. First choice is Kag playing off Rooney.

If Rooney is out I reckon Chicho is more likely to play as he plays higher up the pitch than Welbeck would.
    If Kag is out then I can also see Chicho starting as I reckon SAF will move Rooney back into playing off Chicho

Nice options to have though

Samich wrote: »
    Why isn't he at the Olympics? Didn't play at the euros. Need a hoilday?

Although he didn't play, the FA said none of the outfield players at the Euros were going.

Odd really, the team could have done with Ox, Kelly, Jones, Henderson, none of whom played much if any time out in Polkraine.

Its rough on Evans but yeah it's gotta be Smalling and Vida.

Think it might be Rios last year and probably be better for us to let him go and help Jones develop into that position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

They bid for RVP and are now waiting for rsvp

Are we still waiting on RVP to RSVP ( répondez s'il vous plaît )

Are we still waiting on RVP to RSVP ( répondez s'il vous plaît )

There's too much actual real sports news (i.e Olympics) for there to be any transfer muppetry going on :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I think Ferguson has got away with murder in previous Champions League campaigns with regards to rotation. It caught up with him last season and he has already talked about not letting that happen again. I agree he juggles squad rotation very well but I still hate those group home games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Felexicon

A bit harsh on Evans. He is a good bit ahead of Jones at the moment and was quality for us last season.
    I really like Jones though and I hope Fergie stops using him as some kind of replacement for John O'Shea( filling in where needed) as he could be a quality CB for years. Don't see him having any future as a RB

Its rough on Evans but yeah it's gotta be Smalling and Vida.

Ah, I made my point badly. If there were no injury issues that would be my first choice pairing.

I was more harkening toward the future.

Something about the potential Moura and Van Persie deals doesn't quite add up.

It's either spoof to appease anti Glazer fans or else some high profile current squad members are on the way out and we just don't know it.

Felexicon wrote: »
    A bit harsh on Evans. He is a good bit ahead of Jones at the moment and was quality for us last season.

I mean going into the future. If Vidic wasn't there or doesn't reach his previous standard Smalling/Evans would be my 1st choice pairing, atm.

I definitely agree Evans is ahead considerably at this point.

Ah, I made my point badly. If there were no injury issues that would be my first choice pairing.

I was more harkening toward the future.

Ah I see. Long term I reckon its Jones and Smalling. Again though, its incredibly harsh on Evans. If Evans takes his chances though that can all change

• Advertisement

It mad really...

We all have different opinions on who should play at centre back, on the wing and up front and the discussions are interesting because we do have serious depth in those areas.

But once the discussion switches to fullback or midfield, it becomes more fraught. I just wish Sir Alex would do something about it ASAP.

I worship the man from from a footballing perspective and his stubbornness and singlemindedness are obviously a strength but sometimes I fear that in relation to things like the midfield conundrum, he's almost unwilling to admit that he's wrong.

Time will tell...hopefully it's all part of a grand plan where Anderson and Cleverley end up being the Lennon and McCartney of the midfield world! I fear not though.

J

Jame Gumb wrote: »

Time will tell...hopefully it's all part of a grand plan where Anderson and Cleverley end up being the Lennon and McCartney of the midfield world! I fear not though.

J

The first thing that caught my eye in this post was these 2 names and thought you were on about Aaron Lennon and George McCartney. I was about to call the funny farm for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

Talk sport reporting of a man united bid for dembele!!

Can't believe anything I read...the whole of the summer after the last world cup we were linked with Luis Fabiano..completely made up I think..

More like the Keith Duffy and Shane Lynch of the midfield world :).

See Hargreaves is training with QPR?

Feel sorry for him.

• Advertisement

Hargreaves kinda lost my sympathy when he talked bad of Uniteds medical staff. Then the move to City didnt help. I know we all talk about the midfield but how great would it be to have a fully fit Hargreaves and Fletcher in the middle. Sickens me that two of my favourite players have had such rotten luck.

I remember when we were supposedly after Hargreaves, never really thought much of him.

Then the Summer he joined Utd he was absolutely unreal for England against Portugal at the Euros I think it was. Probably their best player. He was an amazing midfielder, a pity he couldn't finish his career with us.

Would anyone like to see Maicon at United?

Pretty sure that he's available.

A class act.

Maybe Rafael is "Maicon Nua" though and signing him might stifle Rafael's development?

J

I wouldn't like him.

pity he couldn't finish his career with us.

Some would say he did. Cant see him making any meaningful appearances for another team now.
    I remember him mostly for him and Ando at Anfield one day. They owned the pitch that day.

I wouldn't like him.

How come? Too old? Stifle Rafael's development?

I'm undecided.

I'm not just floating mad ideas for the sake of it and this one just literally popped into my head but would you like to see Rooney and Adebayor up front for United? Just read BBC's Sunday gossip and his move to Spurs seems dead in the water...I like the damage that guys like Adebayor and Drogba can do to teams, particularly in Europe. I'd nearly prefer Adebayor to Van Persie. City unlikely to do business with us although you never know.

would you like to see Rooney and Adebayor up front for United? Just read BBC's Sunday gossip and his move to Spurs seems dead in the water...

Oh god no. Please no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

A couple of years ago? Yes.

Now? No way. Rafael has the makings of a great right-back and there's no sense in stifling his development. Also I'm not sure if Maicon is as good as he was, though I probably haven't watched enough Serie A recently to make a judgement like that, it's just on what I have seen.

I'm undecided.

I'm not just floating mad ideas for the sake of it and this one just literally popped into my head but would you like to see Rooney and Adebayor up front for United? Just read BBC's Sunday gossip and his move to Spurs seems dead in the water...

No way for Adebayor. Personality doesn't suit United or Fergie at all.

On Maicon, he's getting old, might want big wages and loves attacking. I love Rafael at RB and would pick Rafael ahead of him in a head to head.

Wenger got rid of Adebayor and doesn't like them type of troublemakers in his team either. Wenger is an absolutely brilliant manager too. 2nd behind Fergie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I'm undecided.

I'm not just floating mad ideas for the sake of it and this one just literally popped into my head but would you like to see Rooney and Adebayor up front for United? Just read BBC's Sunday gossip and his move to Spurs seems dead in the water...I like the damage that guys like Adebayor and Drogba can do to teams, particularly in Europe. I'd nearly prefer Adebayor to Van Persie. City unlikely to do business with us although you never know.

Sure we've got the beast that is Bébé to do that job, no better man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Pretty sure that he's available.

A class act.

Maybe Rafael is "Maicon Nua" though and signing him might stifle Rafael's development?

J

No, he is on a downward spiral after the beating he got from Bale!! He was supposed to be a top drawer full back and Bale just ripped him to pieces, made him look like a Sunday league player...

Before anyone even says it, yes someone can have a bad game or an off day but it was THAT bad that I could not rate him after that

I think that on balance you're all probably right re Maicon and Adebayor...

Anyways, any resources that are available should be diverted towards the middle of the park. A front six of Fellaini, Modric, Valencia, Nani, Kagawa and Rooney would make me a very happy bunny.

Madrid seem adamant that they won't pay more than £26m for Modric which doesn't seem acceptable to Spurs. Would love for us to sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Been enjoying your posts so far, welcome to the forum.
    I remember when we were supposedly after Hargreaves, never really thought much of him.

Then the Summer he joined Utd he was absolutely unreal for England against Portugal at the Euros I think it was. Probably their best player. He was an amazing midfielder, a pity he couldn't finish his career with us.

I felt the exact same way when we were in for Hargo, very underwhelmed. The reality was I watched no Bundesliga at all at the time. Went to a match in 2008 and have been a big fan ever since.
    I wouldn't like him.

I also agree about Maicon, we complain about Evra's form in here, we don't need that issue on both flanks!

I've agreed with almost every post you've made today Samich, I think I've figured you out now.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

No, he is on a downward spiral after the beating he got from Bale!! He was supposed to be a top drawer full back and Bale just ripped him to pieces, made him look like a Sunday league player...

Before anyone even says it, yes someone can have a bad game or an off day but it was THAT bad that I could not rate him after that

how many full games have you seen maicon play since that game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Nothing to do with Bale, but from my watching of Italian football I am also of the opinion that Maicon has been phoning it in for a couple of years now really, let him go to Chelsea if they want him enough to match his wages, right back is not a problem area for us. 3 or 4 years ago Maicon would have been a great signing short term, now he would just be an expensive addition that is not particularly needed. He is still a decent attacking full back, but I would not put him in my team ahead of Rafael now.

Raf needs to know he is first choice, and grow into the role with the confidence that brings him. He has all the attributes to e one of the best full backs in the world, the silly mistakes should be cut out the more he plays. He is improving all the time and barring injury that position could well be sorted for the next 10 years if he is just played, week in week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Felexicon

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SSN Transfer News
    From The People: Ferguson in shock bid for Ashley Cole
    How do these people have jobs

Sensible stuff re Maicon, kryogen. Hopefully Rafael knocks the suicidal stuff on the head and kicks on to become a United great.

Sky Sports News reporting the Sunday Express's story that "Robin Van Persie wants to join Manchester United rather than Manchester City or Juventus - United just need to meet his wage demands which are pay parity with Wayne Rooney".

On the basis that we don't need him, Juventus probably couldn't and wouldn't pay those kind of wages and City have financial fair play issues, we should play hardball with Van Persie. If we get him "on the cheap", fair enough but I don't think that we should be breaking the bank to do a deal. In fact, walking away and spending the cash on 1 or 2 midfielders would be my preference.

(Jame Gumb skulks away in May 2013 when RVP scores the 8th goal of his 2012/2013 Man United CL campaign to win the final for us).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

2 week ban over time to settle in and read the comments,transfer waffle,and fights again:pac:

tumblr_m5868gbn3d1rxh1u4o1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

On the basis that we don't need him, Juventus probably couldn't and wouldn't pay those kind of wages and City have financial fair play issues, we should play hardball with Van Persie. If we get him "on the cheap", fair enough but I don't think that we should be breaking the bank to do a deal. In fact, walking away and spending the cash on 1 or 2 midfielders would be my preference.

(Jame Gumb skulks away in May 2013 when RVP scores the 8th goal of his 2012/2013 Man United CL campaign to win the final for us).

I agree entirely about a preference for a midfielder, but I can guarantee i will not be skulking anywhere if your last sentence comes to pass!!! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

he was superb last season for Inter even though they had a poor season
    he is a much better RB than Rafael

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

MD1990 wrote: »
    he was superb last season for Inter even though they had a poor season
    he is a much better RB than Rafael

Superb? Far from it. He was average and looked very disinterested (as usual since their treble season).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Superb? Far from it. He was average and looked very disinterested (as usual since their treble season).

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

he was one of Inter's better players
    much better than the liability that is Rafael

MD1990 wrote: »
    he was one of Inter's better players
    much better than the liability that is Rafael

He is nowhere near the player he was. Maybe a move to new club will motivate him but still it is a very risky business.

Rafael has on occasion been a liability in the past but he is young and unquestionably talented. He could be great. I think that it makes sense for us to give him a shot at nailing down the right back position. If he kicks on as many people think he will, we've a world class player. If he doesn't, Phil Jones can do in the short term and we can buy a more permanent replacement. Experience and regular first team action should hopefully help him to eliminate the kamikaze stuff that's blighted his game to date (e.g. Bayern in the CL a few years ago). Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

Rafael has proven it that he is good enough to be a started as RB. He has done very well in most of the games, he has few average games (or moment of madness where he goes to sleep) but apart from that he did very well when given a chance.

Apart from that he was superb with Valencia. He had very good understanding with Valencia and both combined really well in the second half.

Also he has improved defensively but rarely gets credit for it. Still many people see him as defensive liability maybe because he is Brazilian?

Does anyone buy newspapers? I stopped about 4 years ago. I got so tired of reading absolute **** that I couldnt even bare the thoughts of reading it.
    The iphone apps provide me with all i need to know to stay up to date with current events.
    You guys provide me with up to date transfer bull**** aswell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

GSPfan wrote: »
    Does anyone buy newspapers? I stopped about 4 years ago. I got so tired of reading absolute **** that I couldnt even bare the thoughts of reading it.
    The iphone apps provide me with all i need to know to stay up to date with current events.
    You guys provide me with up to date transfer bull**** aswell!
    We are glad to be of service :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭VW 1

Regarding Rafael, the lad has the talent to become one of the very top class RBs in the world, what were the likes of Ashley Cole, Patrice Evra, Dani Alves, Maicon doing when they were 22?

The lad is young and learning, but buying in a 30 year old Maicon or another is not the United way, we develop the talent at the club, not buy someone in who will stunt thee development.

The fact that anyone would consider buying in an RB to be first choice is beyond my understanding.

Still many people see him as defensive liability maybe because he is Brazilian?

Ah I think he gets flack for being a liability because at times he is.
    If he was Patrice Evras age I would want him replaced. Because he is young and improving I like him. But I defo still have times where I'm pissed off with him for moments of madness.

In regards of their respective roles in the team, who is currently better in his role? Evra or Rafael.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement