Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Looks like De Gea might be back earlier than expected .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Cleverly with an assist in the GB game.

He intercepted it before playing a long low through ball and a beautiful finish by Sturridge

Cleverley wins the ball back in midfield then plays a beautiful through ball for Sturridge who finished it off with a great chip over the Goalie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Cleverly playing well for team GB tonight and looking sharp in gerneral. He just threaded a lovely through ball for Sturridge to put them 3-1 up. He's been on the front foot all night and involved in everything positive. He almost scored right at the end of the first half only to see his shot come back out after hitting both posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Nothing new here, just Lucas saying again he won't be deciding his future til after the Olympics:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7949272/Lucas-to-decide-after-Games

Few quotes from him:

Lucas told ESPN Brasil: "At the moment I'm a Sao Paulo player and I'm focused on the Olympics.

"I don't want to worry about this. If I am meant to leave now, it will happen. Otherwise, I'll remain calm because I'm still very young.

"After the Olympics are over, I'll decide. If I stay at Sao Paulo, I'll be happy because it's the club where I started my career."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

So, have we signed anyone in the last two weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

DB21 wrote: »
    So, have we signed anyone in the last two weeks?

Only Lucas, RvP and Leighton Baines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Samich wrote: »
    Only Lucas, RvP and Leighton Baines.

And Bebe's now unreal

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    And Bebe's now unreal

Sure having him back will be like a new signing.

Vidic too..

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

I agree.If we could get him for 15-20 million id say good deal.But with those wages and his age(29 soon),plus the fact hes only had 1.5 outstanding seasons in his career,makes me think we should spend the money on a CM which we are more in need of.
    Plenty of strikers at the club

I'd be more inclined to give in to wage demands if we were picking him up cheap as a result of his contract situation. But given his age and the fact Arsenal are holding out for so much, I just can't see how we'd justify spending that money on wages. If that's the cost, I'd rather we go after two good players at that cost....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Just read the artical, I'm wondering, by how much is he overstating the reality of this for a joke? Or is it the case of it becoming that bad??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,412 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Just read the artical, I'm wondering, by how much is he overstating the reality of this for a joke? Or is it the case of it becoming that bad??

I'm not sure what the article is trying to achieve other than bad mouth the Glazers tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

taking from one the man united pages i like on facebook, hopefully true.
    Lucas Moura (after match Brasil - Belarus) : "When I got on the pitch in Old Traford, all fans were cheering me. It was a great surprise"

taking from one the man united pages i like on facebook, hopefully true.

What does it matter if it's true? A fairly innocuous quote.

Liam O wrote: »
    What does it matter if it's true? A fairly innocuous quote.

its a positive qoute something as a fan you dont mind hearing when your trying to sign the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

It is from espn, he said he liked the stadium and set up. Delighted with fans cheering. Said he has had no contact about his future because he is focusing on the Olympics.

Said his agent looking after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Sao Paulo's economic rights going to drop by 10% on Wednesday. So I think we should know for better or worse quite soon.

well i dont know about liam but im personally delighted to hear that and it can only be taking as a positive in our pursuit of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Offhand I'd have to say 0, but what does that say in itself? ;)

Oh and I did say "but it was THAT bad that I could not rate him after that" so as far as considering him as a potential Utd signing I would not watch him at all

well it says that you said he is on a downward spiral since then, but have yet to actually see him play since then :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Our business is a globally recognised brand and we estimate 10% of the world’s population follow our football team.

blacklaugh.gif

Yeah right.

its a positive qoute something as a fan you dont mind hearing when your trying to sign the player.

Well they say United have over 600m supporters worldwide, not that I'd class those thickos you see on Facebook as supporters, but then again it's not like I come from Manchester so who am I to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Someone should do a Kickstarter for our debt :pac:

No incentives though. You're doing it for the priveledge.

event wrote: »
    well it says that you said he is on a downward spiral since then, but have yet to actually see him play since then :confused:

This is just my opinion, others may disagee but I will explain how I arrived at that opinion. I based that opinion on 2 factors alone

Firstly, Maicon's greatest attribute as a fullback has been his pace, now with time (31 yeard old now) that will fade, just a fact of life and the complete lack of pace to keep up with Bale a number of time in that game led me to believe that his pace is gone/going...

Secondly, Ego/Confidence/Belief in your own ability - All of these play a part in the game, especially these days. There is no doubt Maicon was considered top drawer in terms of full back before that game, I think everyone will agree upon that. When you get such a roasting from an up and coming player it has to do damage to his confidence, that is unavoidable. So mentally its not easy to recover/overcome that...

Also, judging from some of the responses posted it seems as though (even without seeing him in action since that game) maybe I got it right, I do recall one person saying he was outstanding (or a similar phrase) for Inter, but again maybe I am wrong about this but I don't rate the Italian league as highly as the Permiership.... I'm sure some do but not me, and the game is most certainly faster in England, hence Maicon would struggle for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

This is just my opinion, others may disagee but I will explain how I arrived at that opinion. I based that opinion on 2 factors alone

Firstly, Maicon's greatest attribute as a fullback has been his pace, now with time (31 yeard old now) that will fade, just a fact of life and the complete lack of pace to keep up with Bale a number of time in that game led me to believe that his pace is gone/going...

Secondly, Ego/Confidence/Belief in your own ability - All of these play a part in the game, especially these days. There is no doubt Maicon was considered top drawer in terms of full back before that game, I think everyone will agree upon that. When you get such a roasting from an up and coming player it has to do damage to his confidence, that is unavoidable. So mentally its not easy to recover/overcome that...

Also, judging from some of the responses posted it seems as though (even without seeing him in action since that game) maybe I got it right, I do recall one person saying he was outstanding (or a similar phrase) for Inter, but again maybe I am wrong about this but I don't rate the Italian league as highly as the Permiership.... I'm sure some do but not me, and the game is most certainly faster in England, hence Maicon would struggle for us.

i just take issue with the fact that you are writing him off as a signing whilst admitting you haven't really seen him play.

tbh its coming more and more prevalent on the SF, over the past few months experts on footballers in south america, asia and loads of other places have suddenly come crawling out of the woodwork, yet have really seen **** all of players they claim to know loads about.

event wrote: »

i just take issue with the fact that you are writing him off as a signing whilst admitting you haven't really seen him play.

tbh its coming more and more prevalent on the SF, over the past few months experts on footballers in south america, asia and loads of other places have suddenly come crawling out of the woodwork, yet have really seen **** all of players they claim to know loads about.

Me admitting I have not seen him play RECENTLY..... Has no bearing whatsoever on my decision to write him off as a signing in my eyes. I wrote him off as a signing when he left the pitch, humbled by a certain player... I needed to see no more of him to KNOW he is not top drawer. I cannot explain this any clearer, if you still have issue with it then I can repeat myself no longer.

Interesting you bring up issues that have become prevalant, one such issue is members putting words into other members mouths, I never claimed to be an 'expert' on south American footballers nor asia for that matter, and before you reply, consider the debate and quotes in your reply will be taken into context when other members are reading, hence me being implicated as having said such... I.e. clarify if you are making 2 points, 1 a direct conversation with me and 2 a general point

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So lads, to encourage the transfer shítetalk, under what circumstances would we all welcome Ashley Cole into the United family with open arms?

I'd take him for 10mil. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So lads, to encourage the transfer shítetalk, under what circumstances would we all welcome Ashley Cole into the United family with open arms?

I'd take him for 10mil. :pac:

On a purely football level, he would be a good, if not odd, signing. He is still one of the best left backs around; he would be an improvement to pretty much every time in football.

Given his age and likely price, I just don't see is being interested - never mind what it would mean for Evra, and forgetting any issues he may have with Rio (or vice versa (mmmmmm, Vice Versa....)) I couldn't really see how we could have Baines and Evra, no way I could understand Cole and Evra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I think Cole only has one year left on his contract and the club probably thought they'd chance their arm by making an inquiry. Or else it's all just BS.

I doubt anybody at the club harbors any real hope of it happening. It'd be a huge surprise if Cole didn't want to stay and/or if Chelsea didn't want him to stay. I can't see us bettering any contract offer that Chelsea would offer him either, so it's pretty much a non runner in every aspect.

• Advertisement

Blatter wrote: »
    I think Cole only has one year left on his contract and the club probably thought they'd chance their arm by making an inquiry. Or else it's all just BS.

I doubt anybody at the club harbors any real hope of it happening. It'd be a huge surprise if Cole didn't want to stay and/or if Chelsea didn't want him to stay. I can't see us bettering any contract offer that Chelsea would offer him either, so it's pretty much a non runner in every aspect.

Its a strange one alright, Cole played too many games last season and seemed to play much better once he started getting a bit of rest with Bertrand playing a few games

Reckon its just muppetry

Rochey18 wrote: »
    It is from espn, he said he liked the stadium and set up. Delighted with fans cheering. Said he has had no contact about his future because he is focusing on the Olympics.

Said his agent looking after it.

But then again, Oscar said this ;)

With the game being held at Manchester United's famous Old Trafford stadium, Oscar was asked of his feelings, replying: "I hope to get used to scoring here."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

With the game being held at Manchester United's famous Old Trafford stadium, Oscar was asked of his feelings, replying: "I hope to get used to scoring here."

I doubt Chelsea will sell him to United.

Its a strange one alright, Cole played too many games last season and seemed to play much better once he started getting a bit of rest with Bertrand playing a few games

Reckon its just muppetry

He was also probably your best player for the last few months of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Thought you'd mention it earlier... off your game sarge? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

.............. would mean for Evra, and forgetting any issues he may have with Rio (or vice versa (mmmmmm, Vice Versa....)) ................

Subtle...... :pac:

view.php?id=57&thumb=216

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Holy sh1tballs :eek:
    We have more than $1 billion of debt due within the next 220 weeks that we have no means of repaying. All the assets of the club have been mortgaged against these debts, including our training ground and even our interest in a small freight warehouse.

Since July 2008, we have paid $792m in interest and other finance costs which is more than Sir Alex Ferguson, our distinguished manager, has paid for all the players he has purchased during the past 20 years.

Obviously the debt can be renogotiated so the 220 weeks thing is a bit extreme, but that's a serious burden nonetheless.

Do people thinkt he float will work??? is is just a short term way to raise capital or is it the solution to the above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

alproctor wrote: »
    Subtle...... :pac:

view.php?id=57&thumb=216

they were awesome

they were awesome

They're bringing them back soon I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Happy Monday, Folks.

Like him or loath him, (Ashley) Cole's a superb player.

However, in my opinion he's too old for us to be looking at given the money that would be involved. I was surprised to read just there that he's actually older than Patrice Evra (by 6 months).

A couple of years ago, I think it was touch and go between Evra and Cole regarding who was the better left back in the Premiership. Unfortunately, Evra's performance level has dropped somewhat (since the 2010 World Cup really) while Cole's have pretty much remained at the same high level. I'm sure that Evra has it in him to return to his previous performance level though. We also shouldn't forget that he's had a very rough couple of seasons. The amount of vitriol directed towards Evra and the French players post South Africa must have affected him. Add to that the tiredness factor after a World Cup. Then last season of course there was the Suarez stuff (of which enough's been said and written!).

I hope / expect that Evra comes back this season and plays at that same high level again. But he does need some pressure on him from another left back. It's surprising therefore that Fabio was allowed to go on loan. The problem with signing Cole (unlikely) or Baines is that they're almost too good (ridiculous as that sounds) and too much the finished article. Evra, Cole or Baines are not going to be happy sitting on the bench. I feel that Evra needs the "threat" of a talented young up and coming left back to spur him on, and to me that sounds like Fabio to a tee. I accept that the threat from Fabio is still there if he's playing well for QPR but it wouldn't be direct enough (plus we're short staffed in that position).

No doubt Fergie knows best, but personally I would have kept Fabio at OT (notwithstanding that he's probably only a phonecall away, albeit not for CL games where presumably he can't / won't be named in the squad). If we start the season with Evans (a centre half) and Brady (a winger) as cover for Evra, that isn't good.

As we all suspect (unfortunately), money is tight at Old Trafford...I'd therefore prefer to see any available resources directed towards the centre of midfield and fullback, with "stars" / finished articles bought for midfield and back up players bought for fullback.

they were awesome

What? Where? When?

Only LOVED them......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

alproctor wrote: »
    What? Where? When?

Only LOVED them......

Aye just googled them our of curiosity and found an article from 2nd july saying nestle are remaking em. Huzzah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Odds of RVP going to united have shortened once again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

What are they at?

Aye just googled them our of curiosity and found an article from 2nd july saying nestle are remaking em. Huzzah!

Forget Lucas, RVP and all..... THE important news of the day is this
    Nestle has relaunched its Vice Versas chocolate brand in the UK.
    Last on shelves in 2005, the launch, Nestle said, is in response to public demand.
    The Vice Versas sharing bag of bite-size white and milk chocolate pieces will be available from 6 August with an RRP of GBP1.59 (US$2.49) for 126g.

http://www.just-food.com/news/nestle-relaunches-vice-versas_id119645.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Cole would be awful hard to get used to in a United shirt given his crap with RVN and Ronaldo etc. over the years, not to mention all the other ****e

gosplan wrote: »
    Do people think the float will work?

Personally I don't think that it'll work. I can't see the market being hoodwinked by the offer of a class of shares that don't entitle the holders to dividends or voting rights.

I can see where Fergie is coming from when he praises the Glazers' ownership in that they don't foist signings or staff on him a la Abramovich or Sheikh Mansour respectively. They do also seem to make whatever limited funds the club has available to Fergie to buy players and they seem to leave David Gill and Fergie "at it".

Based on the above, I actually think that they might be "good owners" if they'd bought the club "with cash". However, they didn't and it's the fact that they were allowed to conduct a leveraged buyout that's the real disgrace.

Investors should be prohibited from using LBOs to buy football clubs. The fact that the Glazers used that mechanism to buy United rightly makes them unpalatable to most fans, notwithstanding that they may be "okay" from a day to day operational perspective.

Let's try and look on the bright side though:

- The club's worth circa £1.2b and has debt of £423m. If your house is worth €600k, you owe AIB €210k and you've a decent job, things aren't too bad.

- The Glazers seem to be good owners from an operational perspective (e.g. non interference, making funds available, etc). When the debt is inevitably cleared, things may drastically improve.

Fans still have every right to be appalled at what's happened at United though. The above's just a "we are where we are" attempt at analysis.

J

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Cole would be awful hard to get used to in a United shirt given his crap with RVN and Ronaldo etc. over the years, not to mention all the other ****e

As much as I don't like the guy, he's still a superb left back. He's the only defender I can think of that consistently had the better of Ronaldo when they met.

Can't see this transfer coming close to reality though, it would be the strangest move in some time for a variety of reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Pudsy33 wrote: »

What are they at?
    Man Utd 11/8
    Man City 15/8
    Juventus 3/1

Liam O wrote: »

Well they say United have over 600m supporters worldwide, not that I'd class those thickos you see on Facebook as supporters, but then again it's not like I come from Manchester so who am I to judge.

Ye I dont really get your reply tbh. It was taken from Espn.

On cole , never in a million years is he coming to united. Pure bullsh*t this story is, I'd rather baines as he's younger and more of a long term fix.

Pudsy33 wrote: »

What are they at?
    Man Utd 11/8
    Man City 15/8
    Juventus 3/1

Markets like this provide very little insight into what's really happening.

There's so little wagered that if I rang Paddy Power right now and stuck €100 on Van Persie to go to Juve, the price would probably change.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement