Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Jame Gumb.

Welcome to the thread. I've enjoyed reading your posts (so far) ;)
    It's nice to log in and see people have a civilized conversation with facts and logic for once.

Things are on the up.

Just to put things back to normal :

OMG Neymar, Lucas and Oscar we're all at Old Trafford yesterday! We're signing them all!! LOLZ!.

God I feel dirty after writing that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

what happens if the glazers dont get the money repaid, do we go the way of leeds?

I dont like what they did with the club but hey should never have been allowed to have an lbo anyway. as for the pik, i would be happy enough if they couldnt repay those and lost control

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

what happens if the glazers dont get the money repaid, do we go the way of leeds?

I dont like what they did with the club but hey should never have been allowed to have an lbo anyway. as for the pik, i would be happy enough if they couldnt repay those and lost control

The PIK's are hugely worrying. Especially when they moved their operation to Delaware.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I thought the PIK's were gone as a result of the bonds at end of 2010?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I thought the PIK's were gone as a result of the bonds at end of 2010?

They are, don't know why people are talking about them....

There is speculation of a 'PIK2', a loan to the glazers that was used to pay off the original PIKs - which would likely have been secured on their holding in United, but it is only speculation as there is no public documentation of it - or any other explanation on how the original two PIKs were paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Cole? Do not want.

Reason? Valencia and Nani will be bored playing Chelsea if Cole is not playing as LB :D

Don't shoot the messenger, it was a joke. Still don't want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

On cole , never in a million years is he coming to united. Pure bullsh*t this story is, I'd rather baines as he's younger and more of a long term fix.

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Would any of ya's have any time for Nigel De Jong?

He's turned down a contract offer from City. He says he is happy in Manchester. (Probably because he is on good money). Has 1 year left on his contract.

I like him. Yeah he's a bit of a knacker in terms of his tackling at times but still think he's a good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

GSPfan wrote: »

He's turned down a contract offer from City. He says he is happy in Manchester. (Probably because he is on good money). Has 1 year left on his contract.

I like him. Yeah he's a bit of a knacker in terms of his tackling at times but still think he's a good player.

I dont think Fergie appreciates such a one dimensional midfielder. He has never signed such a specific midfielder.

• Advertisement

beast of a DM, and was awesome for City in 10/11. If the deal represented value I wouldn't be against it, but Fergie seems to think a DM like De Jong is not needed anymore.

Would prefer we went strong for Fellaini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

No.

I randomly had a mini rant at him during the Euros. He was appealing for a foul on him by one of the Portuguese players, which clearly wasn't a foul at all.

*Pointing at the screen*

"YOU! YOU CAN F*CK OFF! Kung fu kicked Alonso in the chest during the World Cup final, broke Ben Arfa's leg, and YOU want a foul for falling over!?"

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Rooney10 wrote: »
    No.
    "YOU! YOU CAN F*CK OFF! Kung fu kicked Alonso in the chest during the World Cup final, broke Ben Arfa's leg, and YOU want a foul for falling over!?"

What did he say back to ya?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

No.

I randomly had a mini rant at him during the Euros. He was appealing for a foul on him by one of the Portuguese players, which clearly wasn't a foul at all.

*Pointing at the screen*

I feel you man. I find myself doing this pretty much every time I watch Pepe play.

s.welstead wrote: »
    What did he say back to ya?!?

Didn't have the courteous to reply. Just proves what he is like.

Typical :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Didn't have the courteous to reply. Just proves what he is like.

Typical :pac:

Bastid! :D

I feel your pain. I've done it many times. I hate it when you get in the middle of a tirade and start giving them the finger. Cue the action turning to Fergie chewing his gum and I've just realised I've given him a 2 finger salute! "Oh no, what have I done?!?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

De Jong is a disgraceful player, I would hate to see him at the club, not to mention that we need a midfielder who offers more creativity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Re Ashley Cole...

Was at OT a few years ago and a guy nearby shouted "Hey Ashley" at Ashley Cole when he was retrieving the ball for a throw. Normally, footballers ignore everything but for some reason Cole looked right at the guy. The guy then shouted "You are a c..t!". Cole looked genuinely shocked / hurt. It reminded me of that episode of The Simpsons where Bart is heckling the baseball player Daryl Strawberry and Homer tells him it's okay 'cause the players don't notice or care...only for it to cut to Strawberry with a tear in his eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I dont think Fergie appreciates such a one dimensional midfielder. He has never signed such a specific midfielder.

I'm gonna say it just so no one else does.

He signed Michael Carrick didn't he!

Now lets not hear another word on it. You hear that Pro F and Samich?!?! ;)

I'm gonna say it just so no one else does.

He signed Michael Carrick didn't he!

Now lets not hear another word on it. You hear that Pro F and Samich?!?! ;)
    Indeed and to replace Roy keane however he said at the time he signed him because he was one of the best passers of the ball on the world his defensive capabilities where never mentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

These guys never fail to give me a laugh.
    Man Utd Facebook ‏@MUFC_Facebook
    valencia doesnt deserve 7 they shuldve retired it in owens honour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

SHOCKED the Chevy deal is 7 years. Would have though far shorter allowing Glazers to renegotiate as other team's deals rise. Especially considering there could be big enough changes in sponsorship value over the next two years, before it even starts.

Very, VERY surprised.

Hmmm, they're also going to be the official car sponsors of Liverpool which should be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

chevroletbowtiewithword.jpg

The word would look nice. Don't know about the golden plus sign though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Does it say how much it is ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Cole... No, solely on his character. I think his antics would cause disruption in the dressing room...

De Jong, I like to sign that type of player, not him specifically as pointed out he really has made some shocking challenges (I can see the Keane responses already!!!) but on the other had if its a choice of him or nobody new in cm then I'd have him for sure

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Does it say how much it is ?

Say what you want about the Glaziers lads, it's going to be nothing short of absolutely massive. No way they have signed a 7-year deal otherwise.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Say what you want about the Glaziers lads, it's going to be nothing short of absolutely massive. No way they have signed a 7-year deal otherwise.

Nice big chunk of it up front too I imagine.

Fantastic deal. Could we guess that its in around the £150m - £180m mark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Only our 5th sponsor in the clubs 134 year history

FutureGuy wrote: »

Liverpool are getting around 20 million a season. It'll be significantly more than that imo. Otherwise it's pointless in being tied down for that length of time.

I'm hoping that it makes their DHL deal look like playground stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

Only our 5th sponsor in the clubs 134 year history

That is a bit dis-ingenious as shirt sponsorship only began in the late 70's

Duncan Castles did an interview with Scholes and he posted a few of the questions up on Twitter. The best of the lot was this gem.
    What were those green and white boots about?!

PS: “That was what Nike sent me. They are fúcking shít aren’t they?! I will have to get some other – darker – ones. They're not really my style, are they?”

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Aren't Aon currently paying 20 million pounds at the moment per year?

I'd imagine it's even more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

J. Marston wrote: »
    chevroletbowtiewithword.jpg

The word would look nice. Don't know about the golden plus sign though.

I wouldn't mind either one or the other. Both together would be too cluttered looking imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Rio charged by the Fa over that "choc ice " remark .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Rio's been charged for improper conduct by the FA over his twitter comments now.

i presume it's the "choc ice" stuff.
    The FA has today charged Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand with improper conduct in relation to comments posted on Twitter.

The allegation is that the player acted in a way which was improper and/or bought the game into disrepute by making comments which included a reference to ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race.

Ferdinand has until 4pm on 2 August 2012 to respond to the charge.

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/Disciplinary/NewsAndFeatures/2012/rio-ferdinand-charged-july

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

SHOCKED the Chevy deal is 7 years. Would have though far shorter allowing Glazers to renegotiate as other team's deals rise. Especially considering there could be big enough changes in sponsorship value over the next two years, before it even starts.

Very, VERY surprised.

I think it'll work out well for both parties as we've probably received a fair chunk of money now for the deal. I also think we will try an re-negotiate the Nike deal soon too. Don't forget a guaranteed source of income is welcome news to any potential investor.

All in all good news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Aren't United getting £10m per annum from DHL for the training kit sponsorship?

On the basis that City are (from memory) getting £20m per annum from Etihad (ignoring any "non arms length" aspects of that deal) and our current £20m per annum deal with Aon, you'd have to think that this Chevrolet deal is going to be huge...£30-35m per annum maybe?

Fingers crossed.

All in all, sounds like good news.

Rio's a fool for getting involved in that shít on Twitter.

Also I can't see Cole moving any time soon if he is found guilty of that charge.

• Advertisement

For 7 years, this has to be an absolutely unbelievable deal for United. I doubt they'd have agreed to a long term like that unless the deal was for a record amount. A large amount has to be up front like in previous deals I guess.

Also, they've got a very nice logo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

The Telegraph are reporting that it's in the region of £28 million a year. Dunno how accurate that is. I was hoping for a bit more but it's still £196 million over 7 years for just putting an emblem on the front of a jersey. It's scandalous money really.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/9438661/Manchester-United-sign-seven-year-25m-a-year-shirt-sponsorship-deal-with-US-carmaker-Chevrolet.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

SlickRic wrote: »
    Rio's been charged for improper conduct by the FA over his twitter comments now.

i presume it's the "choc ice" stuff.

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/Disciplinary/NewsAndFeatures/2012/rio-ferdinand-charged-july

Didn't he just re-tweet that from someone else though? Still stupid for getting involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Leiva wrote: »
    Good point :D

The Telegraph are reporting that it's in the region of £28 million a year. Dunno how accurate that is. I was hoping for a bit more but it's still £196 million over 7 years for just putting an emblem on the front of a jersey. It's scandalous money really.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/9438661/Manchester-United-sign-seven-year-25m-a-year-shirt-sponsorship-deal-with-US-carmaker-Chevrolet.html

In fairness, it doubles the annual payment that AIG were reportedly paying.

Madness that for just the DHL and Chevrolet deals, United would be making £38m alone on an annual basis.

Can't doubt the Glazers ability to broker some fantastic commercial deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Guess we're gonna be sh1t at corners so...

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

alproctor wrote: »
    Guess we're gonna be sh1t at corners so...

:cool:

Nothing really new though is it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

On the glazers, I think they've been really good owners.

I wouldn't be too interested in the finance side of things but they've never interfered with Fergie and they've given him bucketloads of cash. I think if the Glazers were around when he tried to sign Ronaldinho then we'd have got him, although Kenyon ****ed that up.

I reckon Fergie has a small eye on the finances too, hence signing young talent that we could make a bomb of a profit on if we needed money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭VW 1

Samich wrote: »
    On the glazers, I think they've been really good owners.

I wouldn't be too interested in the finance side of things but they've never interfered with Fergie and they've given him bucketloads of cash. I think if the Glazers were around when he tried to sign Ronaldinho then we'd have got him, although Kenyon ****ed that up.

I reckon Fergie has a small eye on the finances too, hence signing young talent that we could make a bomb of a profit on if we needed money.

Fact is though without the debt that has been saddled on the club, and the amount it has cost us thus far, we could compete with City financially.

Not to say we would necessarily, but the option would be nice all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

VW 1 wrote: »
    Fact is though without the debt that has been saddled on the club, and the amount it has cost us thus far, we could compete with City financially.

Not to say we would necessarily, but the option would be nice all the same.

Well City aren't using income to finance their team, they're just spending as much money as they want, pushing up wages.

I don't want Utd to go too far along with City in that sense. I think it's terrible that we've even broken the 200k wage bracket with Rooney getting 220k. 150k is enough I think.

Not surprising Utd are one of the clubs that want a wage cap introduced. It'll be brought in eventually.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement