Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Samich wrote: »
    On the glazers, I think they've been really good owners

From an operational / day to day perspective, I agree with you. They don't seem to interfere (e.g. sign the players they want, appoint a director of football, etc), they do seem to make whatever funds are there available to Fergie and they seem to be good at making money for the club.

However, it's difficult to ignore the LBO mechanism they used to acquire the club and the problems that it's created. Amongst other things, it's restricted our ability to compete with our rivals.

Therefore, on balance, I don't believe that they're good owners. However, as stated in an earlier post, when the debts are eventually paid off, the evidence suggests that they may be good owners at that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Well City aren't using income to finance their team, they're just spending as much money as they want, pushing up wages.

I don't want Utd to go too far along with City in that sense. I think it's terrible that we've even broken the 200k wage bracket with Rooney getting 220k. 150k is enough I think.

Not surprising Utd are one of the clubs that want a wage cap introduced. It'll be brought in eventually.

Rooney is not getting 220k a week, this has already been disproved countless times, it was even brought up again recently and links were given etc

Only rags claim it to be such a big figure

Said it many times, if it was not for how they bought the club they would be the perfect owners, brilliant at brand growth and getting great deals. I can't look past the amount of debt they have heaped on the club and the amount of money taken out to service that or just that they took for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I know theres a ticket thread but this thread gets more attention - do i need to be a united member to buy tickets from the site? The Fulham game is there now to get tickets but all options say its only for members

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I must've missed the proof Rooney ain't getting around £220k a week.

Care to share Kryo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I must've missed the proof Rooney ain't getting around £220k a week.

Care to share Kryo?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I know theres a ticket thread but this thread gets more attention - do i need to be a united member to buy tickets from the site? The Fulham game is there now to get tickets but all options say its only for members
    Kinda just answered your own question there....

Kinda just answered your own question there....

Just i saw conflicting post on the utd tickets thread saying they were on general sale....

Just i saw conflicting post on the utd tickets thread saying they were on general sale....
    By "members only" I assume it means you just have to create an account, you don't have to pay to create an account. But it's been ages since I became a "member", ie, created an account.

By "members only" I assume it means you just have to create an account, you don't have to pay to create an account. But it's been ages since I became a "member", ie, created an account.

Nah you see im a 'member' on the sire (one united) and logged in to buy the ticket. Once selected and into the payment bit it wont let me enter details as i dont have the privilege. Maybe just wrong info on the Utd thread and they are still at member application stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Reports on Twitter of an announcement with regards the IPO could happen tonight

Nah you see im a 'member' on the sire (one united) and logged in to buy the ticket. Once selected and into the payment bit it wont let me enter details as i dont have the privilege. Maybe just wrong info on the Utd thread and they are still at member application stage
    Just tried it there, what a pain in the ass. Looks like you have to pay for a membership but even when I do that it says I'm "attempting to purchase more tickets for a match than your type of membership allows", I'm only trying to buy one!

Total rip off.

Just tried it there, what a pain in the ass. Looks like you have to pay for a membership but even when I do that it says I'm "attempting to purchase more tickets for a match than your type of membership allows", I'm only trying to buy one!

Total rip off.

yeah i dont fancy paying £32 for just membership

Thanks for confirming!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

Just on the whole LBO that seems to be a big kicker for a lot of people in terms of leverage it isn't that much with respect to the value of the club. I cetainly do not believe that it's because of a lack of cash that we don't make massive signings for 30-40m every season, but rather it just isn't Fergie's style to spend in that fashion, and certainly not for older players.

In terms of oldish players, am I right in thinking the big money moves would be Veron and Berba? Can't seem to think of too many others. I mean Rooney, Ferdinand, Nani&Anderson were young when bought. Even going back to breaking the British transfer fee for Keano? It's just not the United style to spend massively on individual players with the exception (in general) of exceptional young talent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

kryogen wrote: »
    Rooney is not getting 220k a week, this has already been disproved countless times, it was even brought up again recently and links were given etc

Only rags claim it to be such a big figure

I reckon he's on 200k+ anyways.

POSSY wrote: »
    Just on the whole LBO that seems to be a big kicker for a lot of people in terms of leverage it isn't that much with respect to the value of the club. I cetainly do not believe that it's because of a lack of cash that we don't make massive signings for 30-40m every season, but rather it just isn't Fergie's style to spend in that fashion, and certainly not for older players.

In terms of oldish players, am I right in thinking the big money moves would be Veron and Berba? Can't seem to think of too many others. I mean Rooney, Ferdinand, Nani&Anderson were young when bought. Even going back to breaking the British transfer fee for Keano? It's just not the United style to spend massively on individual players with the exception (in general) of exceptional young talent!

Yeah, I'm with this too. Fergie just isn't the manager of the club, he cares about the club, which is why I think he has a small, small eye on the finances.

Berba at the time was supposedly the final piece in the jigsaw and that's why he went to buy him and he was always a fan anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

Yeah, I'm with this too. Fergie just isn't the manager of the club, he cares about the club, which is why I think he has a small, small eye on the finances.

Berba at the time was supposedly the final piece in the jigsaw and that's why he went to buy him and he was always a fan anyways.

Also, I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'm happy that we develop talent and build youth instead of just buying titles (IMO) ala our Russian and Arab friends! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Irish goalie who left United,seems like he has a decent head on his shoulders
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/7950518/Baggies-eye-Irish-keeper

Good luck to him,at least hes leaving for footballing reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

If Rio is banned then we might end up with only 1 fit CB for the start of the season.

Vidic - maybe fit for the start of the season, still not 100% sure.
    Smalling - out for 10 weeks.
    Evans - Might not be fit for the start
    Rio - Might be banned for few games
    Jones - Not sure whether he got extended break or injured.

If we end up with only one CB then hopefully Wootton will start than Carrick as we need him in the midfield.

• Advertisement

Also, I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'm happy that we develop talent and build youth instead of just buying titles (IMO) ala our Russian and Arab friends! :pac:

Well it's good that we're buying some great English talent. I wouldn't mind teams buying players for big money if it was say, Spurs or Arsenal. Their money is got from football (or most anyways). City and Chelsea are using money that was got from non footballing matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Wouldnt mind a bit of both at times. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Also, I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'm happy that we develop talent and build youth instead of just buying titles (IMO) ala our Russian and Arab friends!

It's obviously more satisfying to see a product of the youth team (e.g. Paul Scholes) thrive, but it's also vital to have the means to go out and buy the finished article if you don't have it or a work in progress in your squad.

If you look at the current Barcelona team, its core is Barca through and through but they're not adverse to going out and buying a superstar too (e.g. David Villa). With our financial firepower (debt aside), we should be able to compete with anyone in the transfer market. Unfortunately, it appears that we can't at the moment.

I'm also sceptical about Fergie not wanting to spend big on "stars" as from memory he was critical of the club (and Martin Edwards) in particular for not facilitating the signing of guys like Zidane and Desailly many moons ago (pretty sure that's in "Managing My Life").

I suspect that Fergie has just become adept at "cutting his cloth" and that if presented with the wherewithal to sign whoever he wanted, we might see (say) Neymar alongside Rooney and Sneijder / Modric / etc.

"Managing My Life - The Final Years" should make for interesting reading...

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

£54 million a year apparently. Holy fúck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    If Rio is banned then we might end up with only 1 fit CB for the start of the season.

Vidic - maybe fit for the start of the season, still not 100% sure.
    Smalling - out for 10 weeks.
    Evans - Might not be fit for the start
    Rio - Might be banned for few games
    Jones - Not sure whether he got extended break or injured.

If we end up with only one CB then hopefully Wootton will start than Carrick as we need him in the midfield.

Doubt he will be banned . Fine at most I'd say .

baz2009 wrote: »
    £54 million a year apparently. Holy fúck.

Surely not? Would it be $54million a year?

• Advertisement

That must be why we pulled out of the IPO, Chevrolet are going to pay our debts for us! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

GSPfan wrote: »

Thatd still be £34 million. Sweet fcuk O_o

No Bentleys seen in Carrington anymore ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7KGSCYsksAMnLQ3o1rYRGVjmbsLMWltayWW2j4f1zEZ9yQLAO

Chevrolet actually have some nice cars, this one is particularly nice.

Chevy-Camaro.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

GSPfan wrote: »

Most of the well-known United Twitterers ar saying £54million.

If true, that's almost half a billion euro over 7 years.

• Advertisement

Thats just WOW. Makes it more depressing that United have So much debt. Imagine a United without the debt. We could buy Ronaldo back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

talk of a 100million 'activation fee' as well.

Would pretty much blow any question marks I had over the deal away - I'd be stunned and delighted if those figures are correct.

Will wait to see if we get more concrete information on it.

Fingers crossed the figures are correct.

EDIT:

Also, the massive values would be somewhat of an explanation as to why the GM guy in charge of the deal was fired.

We're rich lads :D:D:D :pac:

Looking forward to getting some official info on the deal now.

Imagine it will be similar to the AON deal in terms of a large sum of cash up front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

talk of a 100million 'activation fee' as well.

Would pretty much blow any question marks I had over the deal away - I'd be stunned and delighted if those figures are correct.

Will wait to see if we get more concrete information on it.

Fingers crossed the figures are correct.

EDIT:

Also, the massive values would be somewhat of an explanation as to why the GM guy in charge of the deal was fired.

Reuters are usually pretty good tbf.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/07/30/uk-gm-manu-idUKBRE86T13220120730

kryogen wrote: »
    That looks like it was about a different sponsorship deal back in May.

So now we're partly funded by the U.S Government, I wonder if Fergie will get on the phone to Obama, maybe persuade him to direct some of those drones towards Etihad. :D

That looks like it was about a different sponsorship deal back in May.

A source with knowledge of the matter said Ewanick failed to properly report financial details about a recent sponsorship deal between GM’s mass-market Chevrolet brand and the world’s most popular soccer club, Manchester United

As Blatter says, reuters are pretty good in these things tbf

Could be coincidence of course.

AON on the jersey already feels old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Real Madrid are getting €15-20 Million a season from BWIN and that expires in 2013. I imagine they will get slightly less than us but I'd like to see the comparison. I think currently Liverpool, much less so now, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich are always interesting comparisons.

With a new shirt deal (Nike) on the cards to be re-negotiated I think we will be closer to closing the gap on Europe's elite 3 (Bayern, Real and Barca). With DHL (£10M p/a) + £60~M from the new Chevrolet deal we will be in line to overtake Barcelona on commercial revenue.

Although the weakening Euro could change all that soon. One thing is certain that the club will be well out of debt before 2017 IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Me admitting I have not seen him play RECENTLY..... Has no bearing whatsoever on my decision to write him off as a signing in my eyes. I wrote him off as a signing when he left the pitch, humbled by a certain player... I needed to see no more of him to KNOW he is not top drawer. I cannot explain this any clearer, if you still have issue with it then I can repeat myself no longer.

Interesting you bring up issues that have become prevalant, one such issue is members putting words into other members mouths, I never claimed to be an 'expert' on south American footballers nor asia for that matter, and before you reply, consider the debate and quotes in your reply will be taken into context when other members are reading, hence me being implicated as having said such... I.e. clarify if you are making 2 points, 1 a direct conversation with me and 2 a general point

On the first bit in bold:
    For all you know he has been playing out of his skin for the last two years and is playing the best football of his career.
    Yet you write him off due to one game? Its a good job you're not a scout.

Only the whole second paragraph, no need to get your knickers in a twist, I wasnt talking about yourself, more so the general feeling in the SF

tariq panja ‏@tariqpanja
    Man Utd announces IPO shares will be priced between $16-$20/share

tariq panja ‏@tariqpanja
    MU offering of 16,666,667 Class A Ordinary Shares. Ticker symbol on NYSE will be MANU

Looks like the IPO could be going ahead after all.

Reuters Top News ‏@Reuters
    Manchester United expects to raise up to $383.33 million through IPO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Blatter wrote: »
    tariq panja ‏@tariqpanja
    Man Utd announces IPO shares will be priced between $16-$20/share

tariq panja ‏@tariqpanja
    MU offering of 16,666,667 Class A Ordinary Shares. Ticker symbol on NYSE will be MANU

Looks like the IPO could be going ahead after all.

Will be buying a few then :D Not day one, but within a few weeks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Ok so just a recap of the days events for those just catching up....

• GM announce record deal to be our shirt sponsor - Great news
    • IPO is possibly going to go ahead - Great news
    • Rio possibly facing a ban for his comments re. A.Cole - Not so great
    • Vice Versas are being re-released by Nestlé - Best news of the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

No Bentleys seen in Carrington anymore ;)

Chevrolet actually have some nice cars, this one is particularly nice.

Chevy-Camaro.jpg

Plus, it's also a Transformer.

bumblebee-camaro.jpg

Blatter wrote: »
    Reuters Top News ‏@Reuters
    Manchester United expects to raise up to $383.33 million through IPO.
    I'm not so good with math, what's 383,000,000 + 600,000,000?

tumblr_llzx00hDcD1qbijqw.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,040 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

alproctor wrote: »
    Ok so just a recap of the days events for those just catching up....

• GM announce record deal to be our shirt sponsor - Great news
    • IPO is possibly going to go ahead - Great news
    • Rio possibly facing a ban for his comments re. A.Cole - Not so great
    • Vice Versas are being re-released by Nestlé - Best news of the day!

Have you a source for this or is it just more paper bull****.

• Advertisement

What is going on today! Is that a potential billion made in one day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement