Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Reports on Twitter that Amos was seriously injured in a game with Hull

Ah ffs, wasn't that only confirmed today - his first game????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

alproctor wrote: »
    Ah ffs, wasn't that only confirmed today - his first game????

2nd game. It was common knowledge that he was moving there on loan. He went on a training camp with them before going on tour with us.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    2nd game. It was common knowledge that he was moving there on loan. He went on a training camp with them before going on tour with us.

Ah yeah, know that.. How unlucky can he be - as soon as he gets a chance to play regularly. Anything official anywhere yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

PHB wrote: »
    Mod Note:

The next time this thread goes that far off topic, when the subject is no longer football but the thread itself, the first five posters who are involved in that will be banned from the thread for a week.

If you think someone is back seat modding, report it. If you say it to anyone, you will be getting an infraction.

To put this more clearer, could everyone stop being a dick? The season is about to start. I'd like to read about actual football.

Just to be clear, does this involve any discussion about the thread itself? So discussion about cliques, who said what, posting habits of posters, fans of which clubs post here, etc, etc, would all be off limits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If the posting is good natured, I don't really care. If its bad natured, I will come down like a ton of bricks on people. That'll be purely based on the perceived intent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Borrowed from SlickRick in YLYL.

405325_297216960375810_1968848927_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Almost got sick reading the bitching on the last 10 pages, but hey 18 days till the PL starts again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Never mind yesterday, this was the blackest day in the clubs history!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Ah yeah, know that.. How unlucky can he be - as soon as he gets a chance to play regularly. Anything official anywhere yet?

Nothing official yet.

Stewart Gardner (United journo) retweeted the following:
    John de Loos ‏@dilynux

#Loanwatch: Ben Amos seems seriously injured as he's stretchered of the pitch. This was only his 2nd pre-season game for Hull City

He left in a neck brace but just saw this come up on my feed
    David Burns ‏@bbcburnsy

Ben Amos ok says Steve Bruce.#hcafc

Hopefully the neck brace was just precautionary.

I hope this is the proper official Hull City Twitter
    Hull City Official ‏@hullcityteam

...while Ben Amos has been given the ok after his head injury. Was up and walking around the dressing room after the game #goodnews #hcafc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Twitter says that Amos is ok, and was walking around the dressing room after the game. ( hopefully this has not made him dizzy )

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    If the posting is good natured, I don't really care. If its bad natured, I will come down like a ton of bricks on people. That'll be purely based on the perceived intent.

That sounds fair. It just seemed like you were saying you would ban the first five posters involved in the discussion going off topic onto discussing the thread itself, regardless of how reasonable their individual contributions might have been. If that's not the case, cool.

Out of interest, who do people think is the signing of the summer so far? Say Premiership and overall?

For me, in the Premiership, I am excited by Kagawa but I have a feeling Hazard will prove to be a superstar for Chelsea

Overall signing so far, I think Ibrahimovic could put PSG on the map as a major player in the Champions League so I'll go with him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Out of interest, who do people think is the signing of the summer so far? Say Premiership and overall?

For me, in the Premiership, I am excited by Kagawa but I have a feeling Hazard will prove to be a superstar for Chelsea

Overall signing so far, I think Ibrahimovic could put PSG on the map as a major player in the Champions League so I'll go with him

Agree Kagawa will be a massive signing for us, but i think Thiago Silva was a better signing than Ibra!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

It hasn't happened (yet), but Modric to Real Madrid for me.

I think that he's one of the few guys out there who can operate at the same level as Xavi and Iniesta.

He'll be massive for Real.

Jame Gumb wrote: »

I think that he's one of the few guys out there who can operate at the same level as Xavi and Iniesta.

I can't see where he is going to play for them? I mean let's say for arguments sake edge is being brought in as a replacement for kaka, which has been mooted about, kaka did not start for them....

I don't see him starting ahead of ozil, alonso or Sami khadeira (excuse spelling!!!)

Fenix wrote: »

Agree Kagawa will be a massive signing for us, but i think Thiago Silva was a better signing than Ibra!

I think silva is a more important signing for them, he is rock solid, but I think in ibra they have the marquee name they needed to go to the next level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I can't see where he is going to play for them? I mean let's say for arguments sake edge is being brought in as a replacement for kaka, which has been mooted about, kaka did not start for them....

I don't see him starting ahead of ozil, alonso or Sami khadeira (excuse spelling!!!)

Benzema
    Ronaldo-Ozil-Di Maria
    ----Modric-Alonso

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

Rafael appears as Brazilian mascot v. GB.

photo6jv.jpg

That is ****ing brilliant! So there is a third one... please Lord no third Jedward.. just sweet jesus no third Jedward

Fenix wrote: »

I think silva is a more important signing for them, he is rock solid, but I think in ibra they have the marquee name they needed to go to the next level

Probably take Khedira's place I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Just on the point of best transfer dealings. What window were people happiest about at the time and what window were ye happiest about looking back?

Just on the point of best transfer dealings. What window were people happiest about at the time and what window were ye happiest about looking back?

Happiest at the time, would have to be the veron window, at the time he was a real talent an I was delighted to hear we had signed him, pity it didn't pan out as hoped..

Happiest with, well got to be the window we got ronnie!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Benzema
    Ronaldo-Ozil-Di Maria
    ----Modric-Alonso

This , maybe bring in Khedira for the bigger games .

Rumours today that Real are annoyed at Spurs' £40m valuation and that they're looking to re-sign our old friend Wesley from Inter...

I'd be a happy bunny if we ended up signing Modric and Fellaini...two chances though by the looks it it...

This , maybe bring in Khedira for the bigger games .

I can't see the player himself being happy about this!!

Also, this implys that Khedira is a better player? Would people agree with this?

I'm asking because I don't see the need for Modric in the Madrid midfield, I don't think he can offer anything above what they have already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I can't see the player himself being happy about this!!

Also, this implys that Khedira is a better player? Would people agree with this?

I'm asking because I don't see the need for Modric in the Madrid midfield, I don't think he can offer anything above what they have already

I assume he's implying that Khedira is better defensively than Modric, which is true.

As for whether they need him or not, I think all teams could do with Modric in their squad, he's such a unique midfielder that offers something different in comparison to most midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Happiest at the time, would have to be the veron window, at the time he was a real talent an I was delighted to hear we had signed him, pity it didn't pan out as hoped..

Happiest with, well got to be the window we got ronnie!!!

I was very happy last season. Think the vidic evra park window was the best though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

United have had some mad up and down transfer window's (hope i have my times right below)

Veron and Ruud arrived but Stam left at the same time.

The Hargreaves, Tevez, Nani, Anderson window was amazing in 2007/08 - but considering how Hargeaves and Tevez left it was an initial success but not long term. Ole retired that year :(

Last summer should prove to be big one in years to come regarding who came in but a lot of experience went out.

Ronaldo arrived :D but Djemba Djemba - Kleberson - Tim Howard - Bellion also joined while Beckham and Veron left :mad:

We once signed Rooney, Rossi and Pique in the same summer. Imagine how well that could have turned out for the club!! (Heinze and Alan smith also arrived)

Are you actually serious? Modric at similar levels to Xavi and Iniesta?

Modric is nowhere near as good as either of them. Xabi Alonso and Khedira will start ahead of Modric at Real easily. I have no idea how Modric is being talked about so highly. Yes he's a good player, yes he can pass. Where was he when Spurs lost those few games on the trot? Where was he when Spurs needed him most? Nowhere.

I'd take Busquets over Modric to be honest.

• Advertisement

double GG wrote: »

Modric is nowhere near as good as either of them. Xabi Alonso and Khedira will start ahead of Modric at Real easily. I have no idea how Modric is being talked about so highly. Yes he's a good player, yes he can pass. Where was he when Spurs lost those few games on the trot? Where was he when Spurs needed him most? Nowhere.

I thought that he looked the part in the Spain vs Croatia game during the Euro...

I thInk that he's a fabulous player.

I thought that he looked the part in the Spain vs Croatia game during the Euro...

I thInk that he's a fabulous player.

Still will never be anywhere near Xavi or Iniesta's level. Not many have,not many will.

I simply can't agree with this more!

I don't see Modric in the same league as those guys, I don't even see him moving Khedira to be honest, because as mentioned Khedira a better defender and that is his role in the team, take that out and you loose a lot!!!

Modric seems to divide opinion.

Some people think that he's class (me included).

Others think that he's overrated.

Interesting.

Night Folks anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I think he's over rated, but sure who isn't really.

Xavi and Iniesta are on another level to Modric along with nearly every footballer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i think Modric is a decent player, worth about 15-18million max. a 30million pound + midfielder should be banging in 10-15 goals a season, have 10+ assists and be able to dictate big games all season long. and he should stand out on games, not go missing.

Modric is none of the above. good player, but limited and over rated IMO.

• Advertisement

Ooooh, Busquets in a United team - droolworthy!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Busquets-

the most underrated player in the world :)

smashing player, part of the hate for him is bitterness, cos he is a bit of a pup, but he is the best player in his position IMO and he has the medals to back up his class.

i think Modric is a decent player, worth about 15-18million max. a 30million pound + midfielder should be banging in 10-15 goals a season, have 10+ assists and be able to dictate big games all season long. and he should stand out on games, not go missing.

Modric is none of the above. good player, but limited and over rated IMO.

Iniesta was named as the second best player in the world in 2010 despite only scoring one goal and assisting a handful for Barca in 2009/10. Even this Summer he won POTT at the Euros despite only one assist and no goals.

I'm not saying Modric is at Iniesta's level, but he is of a similar ilk and his goal/assist ratio are just not that important. He is a fabulous player and makes Spurs/Croatia tick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

smashing player, part of the hate for him is bitterness, cos he is a bit of a pup, but he is the best player in his position IMO and he has the medals to back up his class.

He's underrated by people who don't watch him play and are blinded by hate.

I do have ill feelings towards him but I recognize his quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

brilliant player but its hard to like him.he acts the dick too much.Saying that would love to see him at United.

• Advertisement

Blatter wrote: »
    Iniesta was named as the second best player in the world in 2010 despite only scoring one goal and assisting a handful for Barca in 2009/10. Even this Summer he won POTT at the Euros despite only one assist and no goals.

I'm not saying Modric is at Iniesta's level, but he is of a similar ilk and his goal/assist ratio are just not that important. He is a fabulous player and makes Spurs/Croatia tick.

Modric has yet to score & settle a World Cup final!!! :D

yabadabado wrote: »
    brilliant player but its hard to like him.he acts the dick too much.Saying that would love to see him at United.

So, if Utd had the oppertunity to take Busquets or Martinez, who would people choose?

Javi Martinez for me, he just oozes quality

Modric has yet to score & settle a World Cup final!!! :D

Iniesta has yet to show he can do it in the Premier League :pac:

I have no idea how Modric is being talked about so highly. Yes he's a good player, yes he can pass. Where was he when Spurs lost those few games on the trot? Where was he when Spurs needed him most? Nowhere.
    That is not a sensible criticism of Modric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

So, if Utd had the oppertunity to take Busquets or Martinez, who would people choose?

Javi Martinez for me, he just oozes quality

Busquets. Martinez is a great talent and arguably more of an all-rounder, but for me Busquets is one of the top 5 midfielders in the world.

Pro. F wrote: »
    That is not a sensible criticism of Modric.

I meant it that since he's such a fantastic player, he surely should have been the one trying to dig them out of the hole. To stand up and be counted, I watched some of these games. He wasn't great at all. Neither were any of the Spurs players but for a 30+ million rated player you'd expect a little extra oomph. He didn't bring it. Modric tends to shy away when the going gets tough.

carlop wrote: »
    Busquets. Martinez is a great talent and arguably more of an all-rounder, but for me Busquets is one of the top 5 midfielders in the world.

Best Defensive midfielder in the world for me. He has everything in his locker. Vision, Awareness, Technical ability and most importantly a football brain. He can play CB also. Fantastic player.

I meant it that since he's such a fantastic player, he surely should have been the one trying to dig them out of the hole. To stand up and be counted, I watched some of these games. He wasn't great at all. Neither were any of the Spurs players but for a 30+ million rated player you'd expect a little extra oomph. He didn't bring it. Modric tends to shy away when the going gets tough.

I haven't seen any particular signs that Modric shies away when the going gets tough. Those few games with a relatively poor team that was having managerial problems wouldn't convince me of any character deficits on Modric's part anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

You've got to be taking the pi$$..Id take cheik tiote,parker or even dembele over him he's terrible.Hes worse than carrick.He sits behind xavi iniesta and marks the other teams forward...Never once seen him make a good pass or a great tackle lots of rolling and pretending but hes good at intercepting.Fletcher 2008-2009 season before his bowl disease/injury.Busquets well never be that good or even compare to what fletch done that season.He might have the medal's but only deserve's it as much as terry last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

You've got to be taking the pi$$..Id take cheik tiote,parker or even dembele over him he's terrible.Hes worse than carrick.He sits behind xavi iniesta and marks the other teams forward...Never once seen him make a good pass or a great tackle lots of rolling and pretending but hes good at intercepting.Fletcher 2008-2009 season before his bowl disease/injury.Busquets well never be that good or even compare to what fletch done that season.He might have the medal's but only deserve's it as much as terry last season.

Wow. Busquets is world class and I think you have got it badly wrong here

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement