Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Jaysus, somones easily pleased. Would you take a Fred the red sig? :pac:

Haha Fred the Red. What a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

DM-ICE wrote: »
    He is only around 22(?) Its not really possible to tell what his level will be but his progression and attributes point towards a guy who could be very very good. As it is he is very good on the ball and a player I would call intelligent on the field. Works hard as well. Gary Speed (RIPl was a big fan of Allens.

I don't really get the Liverpool level comment tbh, unless you mean ambitous and trying to improve - then its fair.

I mean is he mid table player or is he worth a gamble. We are linked with Dembele for a similar fee as being touted for Allen would people be happy with Allen. He is younger than Dembele and seems to have alot of potential. Again i have seen him a few times but not enough to be sure. But Swansea played good football last year and reports were he is very good with the ball at his feet and can dictate play which is the type of player i think we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,412 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Lads sorry if I'm interrupting as I thought this is the best place to ask, is the Munich Air Crash movie made by BBC a good source for my L.C Investigation project? I read an article that the family of Sir Matt Busby claim that the film was inaccurate and paints a false image on the history of United.

Article - http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/The-family-of-Sir-Matt-Busby-are-furious-at-the-portrayal-of-the-iconic-Manchester-United-boss-in-a-new-movie-showing-on-TV-this-weekend-article726412.html

So long as you make reference to the fact that it may be biased you should be ok, most sources you find on any topic will have some level of bias to them. It should be grand as a periphery source but make sure that you have good scholarly sources too. Maybe the Munich disaster isn't a great topic for the LC due to this as there may not be too many scholarly writings on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I mean is he mid table player or is he worth a gamble. We are linked with Dembele for a similar fee as being touted for Allen would people be happy with Allen. He is younger than Dembele and seems to have alot of potential. Again i have seen him a few times but not enough to be sure. But Swansea played good football last year and reports were he is very good with the ball at his feet and can dictate play which is the type of player i think we need.

I don't know, for me Dembele has that little bit of extra quality hence why he is being linked to us and Allen to Liverpool :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I know im not a hugely regular poster but if someone could see fit to grace me with a sig i would be massively grateful.

preferred players would be nemanja, tony v, bebe, shinji, anderson, de gea or berba

or scholes, nani, the twins or fletch. tbh as long as it isnt rooney giggs, lindegaard id be happy with any 1st teamer

fergie would be a nice one too though....

i love our squad <3

6qa7fn.png

And before you ask - Yes I do accept Paypal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

When I think of Fred The Red it reminds me of the time I won Signed Autograph by Roy Keane and Fred the Red Scarf for this joke in Glory Glory Man Utd magazine(not sure if its still about)

Who is Friendliest player at Man Utd? Gary PAL-ister.:o

Shocking I know, but I was only 8-9. You be glad to know I never went down comedian route.:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

If Liverpool are after him and now with the new manager you can be sure they don't view him as mid table quality. They believe he is above that.

I have watched enough to know he has potential and good attributes. As regards the type of player he is, I would see him operating really well in a three man midfield at a high level right now (with potential to perform in a two man). With Uniteds wingers and Kagawa already signed I don't think United will be going down the route of a three man midfield so maybe wouldn't be the right signing at this stage.

To confuse and contradict what I said above, as he has really good qualities (imo) I be happy if he (or a player like him) was signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I know im not a hugely regular poster but if someone could see fit to grace me with a sig i would be massively grateful.

preferred players would be nemanja, tony v, bebe, shinji, anderson, de gea or berba

or scholes, nani, the twins or fletch. tbh as long as it isnt rooney giggs, lindegaard id be happy with any 1st teamer

i love our squad <3
    That made me laugh so I'll throw something together for you.
    When I think of Fred The Red it reminds me of the time I won Signed Autograph by Roy Keane and Fred the Red Scarf for this joke in Glory Glory Man Utd magazine(not sure if its still about)

Shocking I know, but I was only 8-9. You be glad to know I never went down comedian route.:pac:

Spat my tea out laughing at this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,431 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

if United are not going down a 3 man middle route, with Kagawa as the attacking one, we will have wasted the money on Kagawa

if United are not going down a 3 man middle route, with Kagawa as the attacking one, we will have wasted the money on Kagawa

What way would you expect united midfield lined up, Two deep with Kagawa advanced? Kind of like madrid.

I don't see a formation using a three man central midfield like Portugal used in the euros or even how Barca line up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Jaysus, somones easily pleased. Would you take a Fred the red sig? :pac:

no bother dude, offerin?

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Ah mikeyt, you sound like you should be in the godfather, do i owe you a favour now?

6qa7fn.png

And before you ask - Yes I do accept Paypal.

i was going to say no glazers.... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

What way would you expect united midfield lined up, Two deep with Kagawa advanced? Kind of like madrid.

I don't see a formation using a three man central midfield like Portugal used in the euros or even how Barca line up.

Yeah i think thats what he means. Two holding with Kags off the stricker. Needs to happen really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Why not? the delivery, the punch line, you have all the skills.:D

What ex Chelsea footballer is named after a TV show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Spat my tea out laughing at this.

...thanks!!

....now they all know how I got the burn mark on my cock.

Based on the current players -

Rooney
    Nani-Kagawa-Valencia
    --Cleverley-Carrick
    Evra-Vidic-Rio-Rafael
    De Gea

Pudsy33 wrote: »

Yeah i think thats what he means. Two holding with Kags off the stricker. Needs to happen really.

for some reason I don't consider that a three man midfield. More like a 4-2-3-1 so 4 attackers.

anyway don't mind me and my odd mind :-)

EDIT: just saw Mitch's reply and its what I thought and expected myself when Kag was signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No I'm not valuing the amortisation in monetary terms. That would be impossible. I'm suggesting that in the overall scheme of things their value is considered on the basis that it exists in the accounts and as people know it's value it's treated as an accounting loss.

The Goodwill Amortisation does have a specific value, around £35m each year iirc. But it has virtually no effect on the club so it's just not worth considering.
    However, while you state that we do not have a physical loss because of this I'd argue that we are still accruing a physical or actual loss because the Glazers still have not confirmed what happened the PIK's so I'm guessing they may know be secured against Red Football Ltd or against us by some other means. Also I believe the Glazers will take there full 50% of the consolidated net income of the company every year while under ownership in the Cayman Islands for the 5 year period that they can provide limited accounting reports.

The PIKs (or more precisely whatever refinanced debt they may have turned into) are a separate issue. The effect they would have would be in the form of the Glazers taking money out of the club. That would be a very real cash loss and definitely would affect our ability to buy players, so I totally agree that we should be concerned about that.

That particular effect may already be in evidence with this IPO issue where the Glazers are taking so much of the money for themselves rather than using it to pay off the bond debt.
    Also, what do you think of this IPO?
    I'm very disappointed that it won't be putting a big dent in the bond debt. I hope that the Glazers might sell more shares in the near future and use the proceeds to clear the bond debt. If they managed to wipe the bond debt that would make things a lot better for the club. But even if they do ever wipe that debt I would still expect them to just start taking more money out of the club directly for themselves, to help their other businesses and to service whatever other debts they have. But still, I think removing the bond debt would be a big positive if it were to happen.

Ah mikeyt, you sound like you should be in the godfather, do i owe you a favour now?

Only one man do I know of who is cool enough to be in the Godfather...

feb13berbadap.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Re Allen,

I think he is a very good player. Well rounded too, so the sort of player that I think United need. But I don't think he has enough about him physically to be a safe bet for the defensive role at United.

Allen isn't a total light weight, but he's not imposing. And he is good at defending, but he's not exceptional. So if he were in a midfield partnership with Cleverley (who isn't physically imposing and isn't the bravest tackler or particularly clever defensively) and with United's tendency to go hell for leather attacking, I think Allen would be a bit of a risk to be relying on defensively.

If I heard that we were buying him and going to play him beside Cleverley I would say "Fúck it, take the risk. At least we're doing something." But at the asking price of £15m that's been talked about he's not a player that I would be going for.

i love our squad <3

Ok, so, I don't know if you were around at the time, but the last time I got a big mental request for a sig subject, I decided to get just as, if not more, mental and do this.

So I have to apologise for not being able to fit every player you mentioned above in the sig like I wanted to, just didn't have the energy, so I made you a United sig with the squad since you love it:

DonnieUtdSig.jpg
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/mikeyt086/DonnieUtdSig.jpg

Hope you like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I don't know, for me Dembele has that little bit of extra quality hence why he is being linked to us and Allen to Liverpool :rolleyes:

That logic makes no sense at all. Does this mean because Newcastle signed Cabaye and Tiote they werent good enough for United because we were linked with different midfielders to them. Just because Dembele is linked with us doesnt mean we want him. I havent seen enough to say Allen is better but your logic that a player is better because of the club he is linked with is rather bizzare.

Ok, so, I don't know if you were around at the time, but the last time I got a big mental request for a sig subject, I decided to get just as, if not more, mental and do this.

So I have to apologise for not being able to fit every player you mentioned above in the sig like I wanted to, just didn't have the energy, so I made you a United sig with the squad since you love it:

DonnieUtdSig.jpg
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/mikeyt086/DonnieUtdSig.jpg

Hope you like it.

Cheers man, champ. The feeky sig is class too btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Its too big for a sig, but I like making pictures.

zR1kw.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

If he can't make it they call Hargreaves cos he's the hip-replacement guy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

"I don't know, for me Dembele has that little bit of extra quality hence why he is being linked to us and Allen to Liverpool"
    That logic makes no sense at all. Does this mean because Newcastle signed Cabaye and Tiote they werent good enough for United because we were linked with different midfielders to them. Just because Dembele is linked with us doesnt mean we want him. I havent seen enough to say Allen is better but your logic that a player is better because of the club he is linked with is rather bizzare.

Setting aside my thoughts that Dembele is a better player than Allen, what I acutally meant by that statement (if you read between the lines) is we are more of a quality team than Liverpool ;) (We are linked with better quality players because we are a better quality team -DIG AT LIVERPOOL.....) But regards my thoughts on Dembele VS Allen, I do actually believe that Dembele is a better player....

From reading your response I can only assume that you totally missed that?

Regards the bit highlighted in bold, your right. It's the reported rejected 10 million offer that we bid suggests we want him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

What ex Chelsea footballer is named after a TV show?

Dan Petrusco

(Pet Rescue)

Oldie and not a goodie :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

lol, not even a single gossip story about Utd on the BBC website...

749a109f_173815d1307539885-mass-grave-uncovered-east-texas-lemme-guess-shrub-aiming-get-elected-again-tumbleweed.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dan Petrusco

(Pet Rescue)

Oldie and not a goodie :)

Didn't he play Mulder in The X-Files?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Place is going to be very quiet now.

Place is going to be very quiet now.

You will all be grateful in the long term. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Lads sorry if I'm interrupting as I thought this is the best place to ask, is the Munich Air Crash movie made by BBC a good source for my L.C Investigation project? I read an article that the family of Sir Matt Busby claim that the film was inaccurate and paints a false image on the history of United.

Article - http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/The-family-of-Sir-Matt-Busby-are-furious-at-the-portrayal-of-the-iconic-Manchester-United-boss-in-a-new-movie-showing-on-TV-this-weekend-article726412.html

The book "The Day A Team Died" by Frank Taylor is worth reading for info on Munich.

He was the only sports journalist to survive the crash.
    Its a must read for any United fan IMO, first read it when I was about 10-11, and it really brought home the reality of what happened that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

lol, not even a single gossip story about Utd on the BBC website...

749a109f_173815d1307539885-mass-grave-uncovered-east-texas-lemme-guess-shrub-aiming-get-elected-again-tumbleweed.gif

Probably should make some up then!

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »

Awwww, damn.

Was such a fun and informative poster.

double GG wrote: »
    Probably should make some up then!

meh - yesterday the RVP story went three ways in the world of gossip.

1. He signed a contract with Juve.
    2. A bid had been accepted from City.
    3. A move to United was a step closer.

Particularly loved the Juve one - a 'FIFA agent', not involved with the transfer, says in his OPINION that Juve MIGHT have a signed contract at HQ, just waiting for the transfer to be done. This is then reported as RVP has signed a contract with Juva.... FACT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Arsenal now after Sahin, according to The Times.
    If Arsenal sign him, I'll cry...

Awwww, damn.

Was such a fun and informative poster.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcCIwWlGEYZvrC0uCOrbsgcZFm2OJCpev1RmEcupRm4frf-XX-Hw

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

He always reminded me of Tim nice but dim from Harry Enfields skits years ago .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

I thought the main talk with Arsenal was for Cazorla?
    Maybe they'll take Sahin on loan?

Did any one watch the GB game last night?
    Cleverley had a very good first half. Always looking for the ball, pointing where it should go if he wasn't free.
    Kinda faded out a bit in the second (as did the rest of the midfield)
    Got absolutely clattered with a challenge but seemed to shake it off.

I've been a fan of Clevs for a while and I was delighted to see him get game time last year. Hopefully this season he can stay injury free and kick on again.

Clev played well alright. He seemed to be tasked with getting the ball to other players rather than taking on things himself in attack. Third game in a short space of time so his fitness levels will get a nice boost from the competition. Hopefully it will set him up to start the season well for United.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Yeah, though Clev did well also, hes a great touch and good at getting the ball moving forward, dont remember getting caught it possesion which is always good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

If our interest in RVP is genuine (which it seems to be) I honestly have no idea where he'd fit in without hurting the development of Welb and Chica, as well as potentially playing Kagawa out of position.

Perhaps he's just one of those players that, if he becomes available, we have to be in for him, or in the least, 'seen' to be in for him!

It's one of those for me, if he was to sign its "**** me, we've signed RVP!!!", but if we don't, I can't help but think, fine, probably the best thing in the long run...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

nicklauski wrote: »
    I've been a fan of Clevs for a while and I was delighted to see him get game time last year. Hopefully this season he can stay injury free and kick on again.

This season will be a be a big one for Cleverley. If he can stay injury free for the entire season it would be interesting to see what kind of impact he could make.

Have to say if I'm honest though, I can't see Cleverley and Anderson having injury free seasons. They both just seem like the type of players who will always pick up knocks.

I'd feel so much better if we even added one more midfielder to the first team squad. It could make such a difference over the course of the season.

Cleverley could be huge for us this season.

If he can stay injury free, relatively speaking, I really am excited to see the interplay and potential of the following team.

Rooney
    Nani--Kagawa--Valencia
    --Cleverley-Carrick
    Evra---Rio-Vidic-Rafael
    De Gea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Just trying to do a quick tot up on the squad for the coming season. Do we have only 24 (including Berba) players who have to be registered (I'm not even sure about Wootton but I think he's over 21).

That makes us look very light I think. Surely we'll be bringing another 1 or 2 faces in before the season starts?

De Gea
    Lindegaard

Rafael
    Evans
    Smalling
    Jones
    Vidic
    Ferdinand
    Evra
    Wootton

Valencia
    Nani
    Young
    Scholes
    Giggs
    Carrick
    Anderson
    Cleverley
    Kagawa
    BEBE

Rooney
    Chico
    Welbeck
    Berba

Johnstone - U21
    Brady - U21
    Lingard - U21
    Tunnicliffe - U21
    King - U21
    Powell - U21

None of those young lads are gone on loan yet I dont think so they might be involved with the first team squad. Anyone else?

If we don't sign a centre mid I can see Powell featuring a few times for th first team. No use crying over spilled milk but if we could have tied Pogba down to a contract he would have gotten a good run in th team this season :(. I think right now he is further along in his development than Powell too. Such a fcuking shame the way that thing panned out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Quandary wrote: »
    If we don't sign a centre mid I can see Powell featuring a few times for th first team. No use crying over spilled milk but if we could have tied Pogba down to a contract he would have gotten a good run in th team this season :(. I think right now he is further along in his development than Powell too. Such a fcuking shame the way that thing panned out.

Is he actually gone yet?

edit: also Sahin apparently prefers Arsenal for a season long loan, which is a pity, would like to see him at united.

Is he actually gone yet?

He has to be gone. If he's at Utd next season I would be shocked.

EDIT: according to the indo, Fergie said he is gone - http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/alex-ferguson-accuses-paul-pogba-of-showing-no-respect-to-manchester-united-as-he-leaves-for-juventus-3158765.html

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement