Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Thie thing with Clev's injuries, and he has said this himself, is that they are all impact injuries. (shoulder, ankle, leg)

Whereas look at Anderson, the majority of his (bad) injuries have happened in training.

Cleverley, if fit, can be knocking on the door to start every game, and I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be given the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I think player should be over 21 at the start of the season, otherwise they can play even if not registered.

So De Gea, Jones, Welbeck can be excluded.

If the rule is if the player is 21 or above at the start of the season, he should be registered then only Jones can play without including him in 25 man squad list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,431 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I think player should be over 21 at the start of the season, otherwise they can play even if not registered.

So De Gea, Jones, Welbeck can be excluded.

If the rule is if the player is 21 or above at the start of the season, he should be registered then only Jones can play without including him in 25 man squad list.

Players 21 or older on the 1st of January in the year the season starts have to be registered.

So, anyone born in 1990 or earlier has to be registered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Is he actually gone yet?

He's had a medical with Juventus on Friday last I think, he's gone.

Players 21 or older on the 1st of January in the year the season starts have to be registered.

So, anyone born in 1990 or earlier has to be registered

If player is born in 1991, he will be 21 right? So I think it is anyone born in 91 or earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Been away on a lads holiday for the past week (Truly epic btw) and didn't look at anything sport related.

So anyone kind enough to surmise the last week of Utd news?

Cheers in advance.

TheTownie wrote: »
    Been away on a lads holiday for the past week (Truly epic btw) and didn't look at anything sport related.

Cheers in advance.

No transfer news at all.
    IPO ****.
    Samich closed his account.
    United signed new shirt deal with Chevrolet.

Nothing much has happened.

Edit:
    On transfer news: Amos joined Hull on loan.

Cheers in advance.

Berba is now United's Director of Suaveness. (new position, lifetime post)

Also Bebe's stake in the club has increased somewhat recently. In a strange move he's been made club captain and game day mascot. Fergie has been quoted as saying 'The boy's shown a lot of improvement lately and I think he's ready to juggle the two roles'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Quandary wrote: »
    Is he actually gone yet?

He has to be gone. If he's at Utd next season I would be shocked.

EDIT: according to the indo, Fergie said he is gone - http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/alex-ferguson-accuses-paul-pogba-of-showing-no-respect-to-manchester-united-as-he-leaves-for-juventus-3158765.html

Sky Sports News report him as "gone" too...they have him in their "Manchester United - Players Out" graphic that pops up periodically.

It just says "Paul Pogba - Juventus".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Don't know if its worth mentioning, but Moura is supposedly signing with PSG according to the daily mail. I know, I know but theres been way too much serious debate on here the last few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

He has to be gone. If he's at Utd next season I would be shocked.

EDIT: according to the indo, Fergie said he is gone - http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/alex-ferguson-accuses-paul-pogba-of-showing-no-respect-to-manchester-united-as-he-leaves-for-juventus-3158765.html

0.jpg
    1bbeda56-d040-4d6f-ad05-c1e048323978.jpg

He's gone. The funny thing is that he hasn't a chance of breaking into Juventus' team at all unless Vidal, Marchisio, Pirlo and Asamoah get injured. Juve have much better CM options than us.

Also Gazzetta are reporting than Inter are going to buy Lucas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just saw on SSN that United & City are unhappy with Arsenal as it's emerged that they have offered RVP to Juventus for a cheaper fee than the English clubs.

If player is born in 1991, he will be 21 right? So I think it is anyone born in 91 or earlier.

If you are born January 91, you won't be 21 til January 2012. So they wouldn't be overage for this season.

So if you are born in 1990, or 89 (etc), you have to be registered.

For example, we didn't have to register Danny Welbeck last season, as he was born in 1990. he does have to be registered this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

He's gone. The funny thing is that he hasn't a chance of breaking into Juventus' team at all unless Vidal, Marchisio, Pirlo and Asamoah get injured. Juve have much better CM options

It's really disappointing he way it worked out - IMO for both the player and Utd.

Juventus obviously did well out of the move but the main winner was Pogba's agent no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

zerks wrote: »
    Just saw on SSN that United & City are unhappy with Arsenal as it's emerged that they have offered RVP to Juventus for a cheaper fee than the English clubs.

Why? I mean, its obviously in Arsenals best interest to sell him to Juve, even at a cheaper price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Galatasaray are very close to signing Nuri Sahin according to Adem Cukur the Director of Galatasaray

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

I don't like saying it, but I do not wish Pogba well because of his carry on and the carry on of his agent.

As for RVP, if United paid Arsenal £30m for him, I fear that Arsenal would be getting the better end of that deal...if they can get that sort of money for him and use the money to sign a replacement / replacements, they shouldn't be afraid to sell to United (or City).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Why? I mean, its obviously in Arsenals best interest to sell him to Juve, even at a cheaper price.
    We did it with Heinze as well, right? Or at least we refused to sell him to Liverpool.

If you are born January 91, you won't be 21 til January 2012. So they wouldn't be overage for this season.

So if you are born in 1990, or 89 (etc), you have to be registered.

For example, we didn't have to register Danny Welbeck last season, as he was born in 1990. he does have to be registered this season.

Edit: Delete. I missed few basic points.

Thanks for clearing it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Rooney10 wrote: »

Everyone has an opinion on him. He has been discussed at length numerous times. There is nothing more anyone can add to influence opinion, which hasn't been said in the previous 5,000 posts about him. It's gone way beyond being constructive lads.

I'll bow out of this thread until Monday when hopefully some of you have gotten tired of chasing your tails about Carrick.

Enjoy the weekend, the rest of you.
    Samich wrote: »
    Bye now.

Goodbye, goodbye indeed Samich.

At least now the constant cycle I have of "WTF? Samich thanked my post.... his opinion on stuff is usually retarded, maybe I need to rethink my opinion.....oh wait, no, its Schism" can finally end.

If Sahin signs for Galatasary, and we aren't in for him, I'll cry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

SK1979 wrote: »
    Just trying to do a quick tot up on the squad for the coming season. Do we have only 24 (including Berba) players who have to be registered (I'm not even sure about Wootton but I think he's over 21).

That makes us look very light I think. Surely we'll be bringing another 1 or 2 faces in before the season starts?

De Gea
    Lindegaard

Rafael
    Evans
    Smalling
    Jones
    Vidic
    Ferdinand
    Evra
    Wootton

Valencia
    Nani
    Young
    Scholes
    Giggs
    Carrick
    Anderson
    Cleverley
    Kagawa
    BEBE

Rooney
    Chico
    Welbeck
    Berba

Johnstone - U21
    Brady - U21
    Lingard - U21
    Tunnicliffe - U21
    King - U21
    Powell - U21

None of those young lads are gone on loan yet I dont think so they might be involved with the first team squad. Anyone else?

Jones and Wooton are under the 21.
    You left out fletcher.

Last winter we had 22 players. Owen, Park, PIG and De laet are gone. That makes 18.

Kagawa, De Gea, Welbeck, Rafael come in to make it 22 again.

Include Bebe and its 23

Berbatov to leave by end of August, Bebe on loan reduces to 21

plenty of room anyway even if both stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭xtal191

Didnt Pogba play for Juve in a friendly yesterday??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Fergus has said that the back 4 for the rest of pre season will be Jones, vidic, Rio and evra

What is the status of Gladstony and Agnaldo - They appeared for the reserves yesterday. Are they just appearing as part of the Desportivo Brasil link up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

zerks wrote: »

Perfectly understandable that Arsenal would take a cheaper fee if it means he's not going to one of their main PL rivals. If United were selling Rooney Fergie would do exactly the same thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Fergus has said that the back 4 for the rest of pre season will be Jones, vidic, Rio and evra
    Hard to see Vidic starting, sure didn't he only start training again a couple of weeks ago?

I think maybe we are rushing Vidic as he only started training 2 or 3 weeks back. Also we don't have many options in the CB dept with Smalling, Evans injured and Rio may get few games banned, so we are trying everything we could to get Vidic back for the start of the season.

We have superb CBs and depth but everytime I feel we lack the depth because of injuries. :( How can a team which has 4 good CBs and 1 very good prospect play its best CM as CB is beyond me. Our luck with injuries is a joke.

Neil Taylor is the latest link with United. A left back that can play right back would be handy, but we had Fabio and let him go on loan so not sure how much truth could be in it. I would rather a 22 year old that can play two positions over likes of than Baines who is 28 and only able to play one position. But as said we already have Fabio on the books but loaned him out.

odd.

Yeah no point in signing squad players anymore as we have plenty of them. Any signing we make must improve first team.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BigBabyTaylor

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Neil Taylor is the latest link with United. A left back that can play right back would be handy, but we had Fabio and let him go on loan so not sure how much truth could be in it. I would rather a 22 year old that can play two positions over likes of than Baines who is 28 and only able to play one position. But as said we already have Fabio on the books but loaned him out.

odd.

Fergie said at a press conference before the shanghai match that he will buy a left back before the end of the transfer window so could be some truth in it. Cant find the link to the press conference but remember reading it on sky sports or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Rooney10 wrote: »
    If Sahin signs for Galatasary, and we aren't in for him, I'll cry.

Reports of loan move to Arsenal now too.

If Arsenal sign Sahin then they will have very good midfield with enough depth to compete in CL and PL.

Arteta, Sahin, Song with likes of Wilshere (untill he is fit), Rosicky back ups. Cazorla can play as AM or winger, Walcott, Ox, Gervinho there is enough quality to finish 3rd IMO.

If there's talk of Sahin going to Galatasary or being loaned to Arsenal surely we should revive our interest in him? A loan deal for the season would be a nice stop gap.

The only reason I can see not to get involved would be that we've made other players a priority now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

If Arsenal sign Sahin then they will have very good midfield with enough depth to compete in CL and PL.

Arteta, Sahin, Song with likes of Wilshere (untill he is fit), Rosicky back ups. Cazorla can play as AM or winger, Walcott, Ox, Gervinho there is enough quality to finish 3rd IMO.

Thankfully they also have a defence that is capable of letting in 44 goals in a season.

Seemingly Arsenal want to loan Sahin with the option to buy - Real Madrid are point blank refusing the option to buy.

Things might change, but apparently that is the situation at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Schism wrote: »
    If there's talk of Sahin going to Galatasary or being loaned to Arsenal surely we should revive our interest in him? A loan deal for the season would be a nice stop gap.

The only reason I can see not to get involved would be that we've made other players a priority now.

Put it this way, I would love him at Chelsea - quality control midfielder and a loan is better than buying for trying!

I hear he is disappointed there is no option to buy as well!

Young, but better than the youngsters we have in the same position and better than mereiles etc

One of us should hijack this deal!

Thankfully they also have a defence that is capable of letting in 44 goals in a season.

They had injury problems just like ManUtd. Their full backs were injured and if I'm not wrong Vermaelen missed few games at the start of the season. Since October they had almost as good a defensive record as United and City.

Seemingly Arsenal want to loan Sahin with the option to buy - Real Madrid are point blank refusing the option to buy.

Things might change, but apparently that is the situation at the moment.

That puts to bed the Galatasary rumours then.

He probably is on most clubs radars, Arsenal aren't messing around this year though it would seem!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The Sun are reporting that the Chevrolet deal is worth £210million over 7 years. That's 10m per year more than the AIG deal.

Decent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Its too big for a sig, but I like making pictures.

zR1kw.jpg

whats the photo of?

you're photoshop skills are terrific

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

FutureGuy wrote: »
    The Sun are reporting that the Chevrolet deal is worth £210million over 7 years. That's 10m per year more than the AIG deal.

Decent!

Didn't Reuters say it was worth far more than that? i'll try and find a link

Put it this way, I would love him at Chelsea - quality control midfielder and a loan is better than buying for trying!

I hear he is disappointed there is no option to buy as well!

Young, but better than the youngsters we have in the same position and better than mereiles etc

As if it matters if young player was better than the player you want to buy or Chelsea try to give young player any chances. :pac:

It was just a joke, before someone post some stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

As if it matters if young player was better than the player you want to buy or Chelsea try to give young player any chances. :pac:

It was just a joke, before someone post some stats.

nice dig, but not what i meant at all though ;)

Now you are offically broke, can you afford to buy any new players at all? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

nice dig, but not what i meant at all though ;)

Now you are offically broke, can you afford to buy any new players at all? :p

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Cheers in advance.

I got a sig :)

everything else pales

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Didn't Reuters say it was worth far more than that? i'll try and find a link

With a chunk of it to be paid up front,even better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

:confused:

Trying to be funny. I'll wager it was him who put that tag in the thread too about being broke.

So far we have been strongly linked with big circa 30m moves for both Hazard and Moura. it's clear imo that Fergie doesn't want to spend big on the centre of the field. He must have plans to move away from th 4-4-2 long term.

You would have to imagine if Utd stumped up a 30m bid for the likes of Martinez or Sahin(ok less maybe than 30m in his case) that those players and their clubs would seriously consider the moves. I don't think Fergie wants centre mids like these anymore.

I think for the vast majority of games next season Fergie Is looking at a midfield 3 of Carrick and whatever other 2 are on form.

Imo Our biggest problem last year was an inability to retain useful possession in midfield. A midfield trio of Carrick protecting the back 4, Kagawa feeding the front 3 and contributing directly in attacks himself along with Cleverley/Ando in the centre keeping the ball moving forward is what we will be seeing this season.

If I'm honest I think it has a lot of potential but it doesn't have a plan B. I still think signing an all rounder ala Martinez/Sahin or to a slightly lesser extent Fellaini would give us the added option of playing a genuine 4-4-2 should we need to.

If we are going with a 4-2-3-1 my main worries would be Valencia having to play too narrow a role to get the best out of him and Kagawa having to play as an attacking midfielder instead of what he's clearly born to do and that's play as a number 10.

This season will be interesting if nothing else:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

So far we have been strongly linked with big circa 30m moves for both Hazard and Moura. it's clear imo that Fergie doesn't want to spend big on the centre of the field. He must have plans to move away from th 4-4-2 long term.

You would have to imagine if Utd stumped up a 30m bid for the likes of Martinez or Sahin(ok less maybe than 30m in his case) that those players and their clubs would seriously consider the moves. I don't think Fergie wants centre mids like these anymore.

I think for the vast majority of games next season Fergie Is looking at a midfield 3 of Carrick and whatever other 2 are on form.

Imo Our biggest problem last year was an inability to retain useful possession in midfield. A midfield trio of Carrick protecting the back 4, Kagawa feeding the front 3 and contributing directly in attacks himself along with Cleverley/Ando in the centre keeping the ball moving forward is what we will be seeing this season.

If I'm honest I think it has a lot of potential but it doesn't have a plan B. I still think signing an all rounder ala Martinez/Sahin or to a slightly lesser extent Fellaini would give us the added option of playing a genuine 4-4-2 should we need to.

If we are going with a 4-2-3-1 my main worries would be Valencia having to play too narrow a role to get the best out of him and Kagawa having to play as an attacking midfielder instead of what he's clearly born to do and that's play as a number 10.

This season will be interesting if nothing else:)

I'd agree with a permanent move from 4-4-2, it's long overdue and just doesn't cut it against European teams, fine for England where the majority play it but not elsewhere.

Wrt to the two that would sit in midfield as part of a 4-2-3-1, I'd still prefer us to buy someone to play beside Carrick as neither Ando or Clevs are guaranteed to stay fit or more importantly perform consistently. It would've been nice to know a year on where exactly Cleverly is but we still don't know a huge amount more about him to say if those few good performances last August are the exception or the rule. I don't think we can afford to wait on him or Ando any longer either and so for any eventual formation a CM is a must, the type of which will just be decided upon what Fergie's actual first choice system is going to be.

But sadly at them moment I'm like what a few here have already said, we're getting closer to Fergie saying 'we looked at a few but couldn't find any value in the market' :(

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    But sadly at them moment I'm like what a few here have already said, we're getting closer to Fergie saying 'we looked at a few but couldn't find any value in the market' :(

This is the worry.

On another note....

I think everyone realises the glazers are only looking to make as much money for themselves from Utd as possible; they obviously have no real attach,ent to the club other than its capacity as a business to generate money. Let's be honest, Fergie can't stay in the job forever despite him saying as long as his health is good he'll keep going. Also, I'm sure the glazers have an idea of roughly when he will retire.

With this in mind, is it not in the glazers financial interest to sell the club before he retires because I can only imagine the club is a less attractive prospect without Alex Ferguson?

At the moment th club has what £350m or so debt outstanding? If over th next 2 years through whatever means the Glazers manage to pull the debt down to £300m, I wonder will they just decide to sell to the highest bidder?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement